or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display - Page 5

post #161 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

 

5 Million was as of last March.  7-10 is an estimate.

 

Exactly.

 

Thank you.

 

To an astute person with any form of comprehension my figures would seem reasonable.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #162 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Exactly.

Thank you.

To an astute person with any form of comprehension my figures would seem reasonable.

As compared to 37 million iPhones sold in the first quarter of 2012. Any reasonably astute person can comprehend that while nice numbers, the Note is still a Niche market. Even factoring in Samsungs 45 million shipped smart phones in the second quarter the Note likely isn't even Samsung's best moving phone. By all accounts they are likely surprised that it has moved 5 million.

Samsung shipped 2 Million tablets, of which they have a few in that HOT 7" inch category.

Again, Samsung is making products based soley on the Goldielocks principle and this traditionally is not Apple's approach.

Eventually phone sizes will settle down and stop being a selling point. Apple, I'm sure will let other manufacturers waste time finding the sweet spots.
Edited by bmason1270 - 7/7/12 at 6:05pm
post #163 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post


Many of us don't wear jeans, especially in the summer. The shorts and pants I wear have deep front pockets, and while it's not so comfortable sitting down with my Nook Color in there, it can be done. Walking around is no problem at all.

My Galaxy Player 5.0 will fit comfortably in any pocket, as would a Galaxy Note phone, which was the topic of this thread.

To each their own.

And in the winter when you can't wear your cargo shorts? When you have to think about what pants to wear in order to take your 7" tablet with you, you have lost the argument. Many, many people do wear jeans.
post #164 of 225

Me thinks there will be a few people who will go into an apoplectic fit if Apple introduces a 7" tablet.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #165 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Me thinks there will be a few people who will go into an apoplectic fit if Apple introduces a 7" tablet.

No, but I have a GIF lined up for just such an occasion.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #166 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Me thinks there will be a few people who will go into an apoplectic fit if Apple introduces a 7" tablet.

LOL why would anyone be upset over it? That is just a ridiculous comment and assumption.

I know I see little reason or justification that I would buy one. But I will laugh at those who are hoping for it because they think they will slip it into their front pant pocket because it is so world changingly portable.
post #167 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


No, but I have a GIF lined up for just such an occasion.

 

I bet you do.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #168 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

As compared to 37 million iPhones sold in the first quarter of 2012. Any reasonably astute person can comprehend that while nice numbers, the Note is still a Niche market. Even factoring in Samsungs 45 million shipped smart phones in the second quarter the Note likely isn't even Samsung's best moving phone. By all accounts they are likely surprised that it has moved 5 million.

7 million units un under a year with less than 6 months n the US market for a single product that costs around $550 has to be one of the highest selling and fastest selling CEs on the market. Even if it was a product I understood I'd still be impressed by those numbers.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #169 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


As compared to 37 million iPhones sold in the first quarter of 2012. . . 

Eventually phone sizes will settle down and stop being a selling point. Apple, I'm sure will let other manufacturers waste time finding the sweet spots.

I'm surprised that you might think they didn't already find the sweet spot with no need to change or add any other size. I mean 37 million iPhones sold. . .

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #170 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Using that ringtone was included on a list I read once of "ways to tell if you are a geezer."  
Seemed apt to me.  

:-)  



 
The only other one I remember is that holding the iPhone with one hand, while poking at it with a single extended index finger from the other (especially if you have to look over your spectacles to do so), is considered to make you similarly "geezerish."  

Huh. I type like that often, faster and less mistakes than typing with the thumb of holding hand.

Geez... I'm getting old.

But I don't admit "over the specs" look... yet :-)
post #171 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

7 million units un under a year with less than 6 months n the US market for a single product that costs around $550 has to be one of the highest selling and fastest selling CEs on the market. Even if it was a product I understood I'd still be impressed by those numbers.

They are nice numbers but they are numbers that are "shipped", not sold. I have yet to actually see one "in the wild". By contrast I have seen more Fisker Karmas, which cost $90,000, the last few weeks than I have ever seen a Galaxy Note. The numbers bear out and anecdotal experience says this is a "niche" product.

Again, niche products can be successful but it isn't a mainstream success or even a household name.

Can we agree on that?

And besides my only reason for discussing the Galaxy Note is that I believe it to be probably the best compromise between a Tablet and a phone. I believe it's form factor is about as big as you can get and still offer true portability without the need for a second device. And as good as it is, it is still crazy huge for a phone. But, I believe people don't use their phones a phones as much anymore. But I'd find my "RunKeeper" app to be pretty prohibitive with a Galaxy Note.
Edited by bmason1270 - 7/8/12 at 6:16am
post #172 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'm surprised that you might think they didn't already find the sweet spot with no need to change or add any other size. I mean 37 million iPhones sold. . .

They found the sweet spot that the best available technology allowed them to profitably build.
post #173 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

A 7" tablet isn't significantly more portable than an iPad. It would sell to women and perhaps students. But the truth is, you would still need a bag. You are not just gonna carry it and it won't fit in your pocket. And since it isn't a phone you don't need to have it with you.
But I really don't think a seven inch tablet would offer such an improvement in user experience that people would feel compelled to take both a tablet and their phone.
It still isn't a device to carry around casually. And by that standard NO, it isn't really more portable than a iPad currently is.

But it is. I had original Nook Colour for a while. Completely average device, but I could fit it in coat and some of my jackets pockets. Also in small over-the-shoulder bag I carry on occasion. No 10" tablet would fit in any of those.
post #174 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

But it is. I had original Nook Colour for a while. Completely average device, but I could fit it in coat and some of my jackets pockets. Also in small over-the-shoulder bag I carry on occasion. No 10" tablet would fit in any of those.

The only reason it fits is because of its aspect ratio. If the iPad maintains its current aspect ratio down to 7 inches it will not fit in your pocket. So in the end you either needed a coat, jacket or a bag. That Has been my point all along.

Can it fit in your (now I must state specifically) pants pocket?
Would you just carry it around in your hand?
Would you need a bag to take it with you?

I have a small over the shoulder bag that fits my iPad, a pico projector and every conceivable cable I'll ever need. Try again on the bag argument. That is just obsurred that a iPad doesn't fit in a over the shoulder bag.
Edited by bmason1270 - 7/8/12 at 6:26am
post #175 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

And in the winter when you can't wear your cargo shorts? When you have to think about what pants to wear in order to take your 7" tablet with you, you have lost the argument. Many, many people do wear jeans.

Do you ever carry a tablet around? Do you think you might you might increasingly carry a tablet around to the point that you always have it with you? Would that mean that you carry a tablet and a phone around everywhere? It seems to me that the phone would be superfluous. Just using a wireless headset and a tablet with phone circuitry & software eliminates the need for a separate phone, so instead of having a phone and a tablet, you just have the tablet. Whether the phone fits in a pocket doesn't matter anymore, because you don't need it, and you're carrying a tablet with you anyway, instead of a phone in the pocket and carrying a tablet.
post #176 of 225
Duplicate
Edited by bmason1270 - 7/8/12 at 6:47am
post #177 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Do you ever carry a tablet around? Do you think you might you might increasingly carry a tablet around to the point that you always have it with you? Would that mean that you carry a tablet and a phone around everywhere? It seems to me that the phone would be superfluous. Just using a wireless headset and a tablet with phone circuitry & software eliminates the need for a separate phone.


I carry a tablet around when i feel I might "need" it, period. It's size is not prohibitive to portability in this regards. But it's size is what is the advantage in my deciding it's need. I.E. productivity or media consumption. In all other instances the iPhone meets my portable needs. I would not find productivity or media consumption to be improved by a seven inch device and in truth I believe it would be compromised, especially considering the same level of real world effort to bring the "smaller" tablet with me in the first place.

But in regards to the tablet replacing my phone? To do so it must fit in my pants front pocket . I always need to wear pants of some sort. I don't always need to take a bag or wear a jacket. So if I have to adjust my and think about what I wear just to take my tablet? That is just crazy.

Again, I must state, a seven inch iPad would sell. I can see its uses, but the "mainstream" benefits just aren't impressive and I think most folks would chose the larger.
I could see it as a great Nav device. Professional photographers would find it usefull, but will be burned by limited storage. It is just a niche device chuck full of compromise.
post #178 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


7 million units un under a year with less than 6 months n the US market for a single product that costs around $550 has to be one of the highest selling and fastest selling CEs on the market. Even if it was a product I understood I'd still be impressed by those numbers.

 

The numbers make me feel as if the Note has crossed over from being a niche product to a mainstream product... if not in the west then in Asia. I think this is why Samsung is pursuing the Note as if it is in its own category. If the larger Note sells even better than the original Note then we'll know for sure that it has crossed into general mainstream use. I was reading an article where Samsung wants to turn the stylus into a headset. Well, at least it is one area where Samsung is not copying Apple. If it had iOS I'd buy the larger one in a heartbeat... as it is I'll just wait to see what Apple is offering later this year.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #179 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


And in the winter when you can't wear your cargo shorts? When you have to think about what pants to wear in order to take your 7" tablet with you, you have lost the argument. Many, many people do wear jeans.


And many people use iPads. I don't care. I don't want one.

 

You would tell me what kind of pants I should wear and what device I should use, for the sake of argument.

 

I have no doubt the Galaxy Note would fit in any pocket I have available. I don't know how this thread devolved into a discussion of the merits of 7" tablets.

post #180 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The numbers make me feel as if the Note has crossed over from being a niche product to a mainstream product... if not in the west then in Asia. I think this is why Samsung is pursuing the Note as if it is in its own category. If the larger Note sells even better than the original Note then we'll know for sure that it has crossed into general mainstream use. I was reading an article where Samsung wants to turn the stylus into a headset. Well, at least it is one area where Samsung is not copying Apple. If it had iOS I'd buy the larger one in a heartbeat... as it is I'll just wait to see what Apple is offering later this year.

I agree it is successful, but it is not mainstream. We are starting to enter a phase where productivity and business needs are creeping back into the smart phone race again.

Blackberry is on the ropes and most smart phones after the iPhone were/are targeted to consumers. While obviously popular, as screens started to get a little larger the productivity shortcomings of phones like the iPhone are more readily apparent.

The Note obviously fills the business productivity need. What the hell else is the stylus for anyways? Angry Birds?

But that does not make a 5 inch screen a universal need for average consumers. By that logic is why I say the Note is niche and not mainstream.

Stop arguing its success because I have not denied the success of the Note. But don't be fooled to believe that the Note is ever going to touch 37 million sales in any quarter if a year.
post #181 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post


And many people use iPads. I don't care. I don't want one.

You would tell me what kind of pants I should wear and what device I should use, for the sake of argument.

I have no doubt the Galaxy Note would fit in any pocket I have available. I don't know how this thread devolved into a discussion of the merits of 7" tablets.

I have said that the Note is the maximum size of true portability. What is your point?
post #182 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post


And many people use iPads. I don't care. I don't want one.

 

You would tell me what kind of pants I should wear and what device I should use, for the sake of argument.

 

I have no doubt the Galaxy Note would fit in any pocket I have available. I don't know how this thread devolved into a discussion of the merits of 7" tablets.

 

The Galaxy Note does fit into almost every pocket... excluding, of course, the watch pocket on jeans. I'm waiting to see if the new 5.5" model will still fit nicely in a shirt pocket.

 

The devolution of this thread into discussion of 7" models isn't anywhere close to the discussion of the "Americas" in another thread.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #183 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The Galaxy Note does fit into almost every pocket... excluding, of course, the watch pocket on jeans. I'm waiting to see if the new 5.5" model will still fit nicely in a shirt pocket.

The devolution of this thread into discussion of 7" models isn't anywhere close to the discussion of the "Americas" in another thread.

I believe someone in the thread stated that the case will remain roughly the same size, only the screen will increase. So if no net change, then super.
post #184 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

I have said that the Note is the maximum size of true portability. What is your point?

I guess the point is that I'm not aware of any United Nations decision that made you the ultimate authority on portability. There is no such thing as a maximum size for true portability. For LeBron James, it might be 6" or even 7". For Kristen Chenoweth, it might be 4".

Why is it that different people can't have a different opinion? Personally, I think 5.5" is far too large for a phone, but others think it's OK. The ultimate answer is that the market will sort it out. If the number of people who like a 5.5" phone is large enough, then the Note will be a success. If the number is too small, it will fail. Similarly, many people obviously are happy with a smaller phone. The iPhone is only 3.5" but still have the highest customer satisfaction ratings and customer retention rates - as well as the greatest sales for an individual phone.

In the end, it's the same as the 7-8" iPad discussion. The fact is that different people have different needs. You may personally think that a 10" iPad is perfect and anything smaller is a disaster, but others are entitled to their own opinions, as well. Personally, I believe that there's a place for several different sizes of iPads just as there's a place for the market to have both 3.5" and 5.5" phones. Customer needs vary by a huge amount.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #185 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I guess the point is that I'm not aware of any United Nations decision that made you the ultimate authority on portability. There is no such thing as a maximum size for true portability. For LeBron James, it might be 6" or even 7". For Kristen Chenoweth, it might be 4".
Why is it that different people can't have a different opinion? Personally, I think 5.5" is far too large for a phone, but others think it's OK. The ultimate answer is that the market will sort it out. If the number of people who like a 5.5" phone is large enough, then the Note will be a success. If the number is too small, it will fail. Similarly, many people obviously are happy with a smaller phone. The iPhone is only 3.5" but still have the highest customer satisfaction ratings and customer retention rates - as well as the greatest sales for an individual phone.
In the end, it's the same as the 7-8" iPad discussion. The fact is that different people have different needs. You may personally think that a 10" iPad is perfect and anything smaller is a disaster, but others are entitled to their own opinions, as well. Personally, I believe that there's a place for several different sizes of iPads just as there's a place for the market to have both 3.5" and 5.5" phones. Customer needs vary by a huge amount.

Im not the world authority but It is common sense. Most people would reasonably be able to take a Galaxy Note with them regardless of circumstance. It can fit in most pockets, no guarantee, but most likely it will.

The debate I have been involved in is in regard to a 7" iPad. I personally believe it is nothing more than a Goldielocks device that Apple would be foolish to chase.

It is unlikely that after the next generation iPhone is released that Apple will continue making the current size beyon the next generations refresh a year after it is released.

So while the market will have sizes ranging from 3.5" and 5.5" phones Apple will sit with one eventual device in the middle of the two sizes.
post #186 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


The fact is that different people have different needs. You may personally think that a 10" iPad is perfect and anything smaller is a disaster, but others are entitled to their own opinions, as well. Personally, I believe that there's a place for several different sizes of iPads just as there's a place for the market to have both 3.5" and 5.5" phones. Customer needs vary by a huge amount.

 

You have this all wrong. We obviously have an "authority on everything" in this thread. Do not argue. Do not resist. Resistance is futile.

 

[Apparently, even Apple is stupid if they bring out a 7" iWhatever... so what hope do you have in arguing for a smaller size or what is or is not portable]


Edited by island hermit - 7/8/12 at 8:55am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #187 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

They are nice numbers but they are numbers that are "shipped", not sold.

Sure, but Samsung et al. don't have enough of their own stores and retailers don't have a good enough system in place to get an exact sell through number but based on Amazon's sales, the 8 months duration and increasing unit sales figures it's infeasible to think this is some Bond villain-level channel stuffing operation. Regardless of how many are still in the channel they are selling of the most popular CE devices in the $500 price range.

Besides my previous comment about me not understanding this device it's also doing some unique things that make it very unique from any current Apple product. I'd guessing Apple not going after this popular device at this point means it's not infringing on Apple's IP... for once. More power to Samsung I say. I'll never buy the Note but I give credit for making a widely successful CE device, at least for the first year of sales. We'll see how the 2nd model starts off next month.
Quote:
I have yet to actually see one "in the wild".

Anecdotally information has its place but it shouldn't be used as the primary source for determining fact. It's much like Wikipedia in that sense.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #188 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sure, but Samsung et al. don't have enough of their own stores and retailers don't have a good enough system in place to get an exact sell through number but based on Amazon's sales, the 8 months duration and increasing unit sales figures it's infeasible to think this is some Bond villain-level channel stuffing operation. Regardless of how many are still in the channel they are selling of the most popular CE devices in the $500 price range.

Besides my previous comment about me not understanding this device it's also doing some unique things that make it very unique from any current Apple product. I'd guessing Apple not going after this popular device at this point means it's not infringing on Apple's IP... for once. More power to Samsung I say. I'll never buy the Note but I give credit for making a widely successful CE device, at least for the first year of sales. We'll see how the 2nd model starts off next month.

 

One unique thing is that the Note uses a capacitive touchscreen rather than pressure sensitive resistive touchscreen, which makes it a touch based device in the same sense as every other device on the market. While some tend to point out the stylus in a derogatory manner, I see it as a positive. You don't have to use it if you don't want to use it. It's in addition to, and not a restrictive add-on. Highlighting the fact that the Note has a stylus as an argument that it is a niche product is just stupid. The Note is a product category unto itself and is meant for everyone. Someone like myself can find a use for all the features; stylus, tablet, phone.... but others might use it just as a small tablet while others might use it for both a phone and a tablet. It's obvious by the numbers that the Note has crossed or is crossing into mass market territory.

 

As you say, though, let's see what the happens with the 5.5" device.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #189 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

One unique thing is that the Note uses a capacitive touchscreen rather than pressure sensitive resistive touchscreen, which makes it a touch based device in the same sense as every other device on the market. While some tend to point out the stylus in a derogatory manner, I see it as a positive. You don't have to use it if you don't want to use it. It's in addition to, and not a restrictive add-on. Highlighting the fact that the Note has a stylus as an argument that it is a niche product is just stupid. The Note is a product category unto itself and is meant for everyone. Someone like myself can find a use for all the features; stylus, tablet, phone.... but others might use it just as a small tablet while others might use it for both a phone and a tablet. It's obvious by the numbers that the Note has crossed or is crossing into mass market territory.

As you say, though, let's see what the happens with the 5.5" device.

That's one of the great things about this device; the capacitance touchscreen paired with a Wacom digitizer. I've been hoping for years (since before the iPad was announced) that Apple would find a way to incorporate that into their devices and expect that eventually they will. This would be a great fit for the iPad. Not something that has a built-in pen or requires a pen but something that could a 3rd-party digitizer pen for those specific apps where it makes sense.

The other great thing about the Note is that Samsung didn't just add the HW, advertise it, then call it a day. Samsung actually created APIs so that developers can make apps specifically to take advantage of the digitizer. This seems obvious from perspective of the Apple camp but this hasn't always been the case from the Android camp. A few months ago they released 2.0 of their S-Pen SDK.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #190 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You have this all wrong. We obviously have an "authority on everything" in this thread. Do not argue. Do not resist. Resistance is futile.

[Apparently, even Apple is stupid if they bring out a 7" iWhatever... so what hope do you have in arguing for a smaller size or what is or is not portable]

I have defined several times what I believe is real world, real everyday use portability is. You have failed to counter it with either a fact to the contrary or your own definition. I have also agreed, that by my own definition of real world portability that the Galaxy Note fits that profile, but is likely at the very threshold of it.

While the Note is successful it is a Niche product that I don't think is a true Everyman/woman's product. This could be for several reasons but among them are the size is either appealing or distracting. But in either event, outside of its stylus, useful as it is, a buyer is only purchasing it because of its size. Those that are NOT purchasing it are also quite possibly doing so, shockingly, based it's size. The size makes it a polarizing decision which, in and of itself makes it niche. But the fact that it is also a phone allows it to eliminate the "need" for a tablet. Samsung found a useful middle ground. But considering that they have shipped only 2 million tablets, they had nothing to lose or dillute product wise. Regardless, within the same period of time, between both Apple and Samsung, nearly 80 million more phones sold or shipped that were smaller than 5 inches. That tells me that a phone that big, as good as it is, is not universally desired.

I simply disagree that a SEVEN INCH IPAD is significantly more portable. Would one sell? Probably. I only say that to most guys, you will not find it more portable. That is all. Get over it. Combine the fact that it is NOT a phone, you have gained nothing. You are still lugging two devices.

If you answer this question and this question alone you will see the reason what I'm on about. Will a seven inch iPad fit in the fron pocket of ALL variety of pants?
Edited by bmason1270 - 7/8/12 at 11:10am
post #191 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

I have defined several times what I believe is real world, real everyday use portability is. You have failed to counter it with either a fact to the contrary or your own definition. I have also agreed, that by my own definition of real world portability that the Galaxy Note fits that profile, but is likely at the very threshold of it.
While the Note is successful it is a Niche product that I don't think is a true Everyman/woman's product. This could be for several reasons but among them are the size is either appealing or distracting. But in either event, outside of its stylus, useful as it is, a buyer is only purchasing it because of its size. Toes NOT purchasing it are also quite possibly doing so based it's size. But the fact hat it is also a phone allows it to eliminate the "need" for a tablet. Samsung found a useful middle ground. But considering that they have shipped only 2 million tablets, they had nothing to lose or dillute product wise.
I simply disagree that a SEVEN INCH IPAD is significantly more portable. Would one sell? Probably. I only say that to most guys, you will not find it more portable. Hat is all. Get over it. Combine the fact hat it is NOT a tablet, you have gained nothing. You are still lugging two devices.
If you answer this question and this question alone you will see the reason what I'm on about. Will a seven inch iPad fit in the fron pocket of ALL variety of pants?

I disagree. I don't think that one of the fastest and highest selling models of portable devices can be defined as a niche product. I would say that a 5.5" phone/tablet device is a niche product category. The difference being that in one category you have the $500-range 5" Note is being compared to all specific products in terms of unit sales, and in the other category you have a 5" device being compared to all portable device classes.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #192 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I disagree. I don't think that one of the fastest and highest selling models of portable devices can be defined as a niche product. I would say that a 5.5" phone/tablet device is a niche product category. The difference being that in one category you have the $500-range 5" Note is being compared to all specific products in terms of unit sales, and in the other category you have a 5" device being compared to all portable device classes.

Samsung shipped 2 million tablets. They shipped 47 million phones. The ratio combining Samsung's and Apples numbers put the Note as niche. 80 million to 5 million.

I have said over and over that it is successful. Niche, cult, is not derogatory. But it can't be called mainstream, not yet at least. Blackberrys were successful but were not Everyman mainstream phones. I think the Note is the new Blackberry, a great business enterprise phone that will have some commercial appeal, but not mainstream success. Popular on Wall Street but not Mainstreet.

Does anyone argue that the iPod Shuffle is not really a big seller to many people other than runners, bikers and those that go to he gym? No, because that is what it is and who it appeals to because of its SIZE. Why is it such a friggin stretch to think that not everyone wants a 5 inch phone and that it's appeal is limited, albeit to a large group?
post #193 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Blackberrys were successful but were not Everyman mainstream phones. I think the Note is the new Blackberry, a great business enterprise phone that will have some commercial appeal, but not mainstream success. Popular on Wall Street but not Mainstreet.
 

 

This statement alone tells me that you have no idea of what you are talking about.

 

The Blackberry was the smartphone of choice amongst young people before the iPhone appeared.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #194 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


The only reason it fits is because of its aspect ratio. If the iPad maintains its current aspect ratio down to 7 inches it will not fit in your pocket. So in the end you either needed a coat, jacket or a bag. That Has been my point all along.
Can it fit in your (now I must state specifically) pants pocket?
Would you just carry it around in your hand?
Would you need a bag to take it with you?
I have a small over the shoulder bag that fits my iPad, a pico projector and every conceivable cable I'll ever need. Try again on the bag argument. That is just obsurred that a iPad doesn't fit in a over the shoulder bag.

I'm more likely to bring a 7" tablet with me than a ~10" tablet. If I am going to a friend's house, then I'm more likely to bring a 7" just because it's actually smaller and lighter. That's it. And I can probably hide it in my jacket pockets were the 10" would have no chance whatsoever.

 

Compare this:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/sites/default/themes/cw_blogs/cache/files/u3/2tablets.jpg

http://blog.laptopmag.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/samsung-vs-apple-ipad_2.jpg

post #195 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

I'm more likely to bring a 7" tablet with me than a ~10" tablet. If I am going to a friend's house, then I'm more likely to bring a 7" just because it's actually smaller and lighter. That's it. And I can probably hide it in my jacket pockets were the 10" would have no chance whatsoever.

 

Compare this:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/sites/default/themes/cw_blogs/cache/files/u3/2tablets.jpg

http://blog.laptopmag.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/samsung-vs-apple-ipad_2.jpg

 

You don't understand. Your personal choice doesn't enter into the discussion. What you think is more or less portable is irrelevant. Just get it into your head that 10" is the best size and what you want or need is stupid.

 

At least that seems to be the rebuttal that you'll receive. Just saying...

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #196 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Samsung shipped 2 million tablets. They shipped 47 million phones. The ratio combining Samsung's and Apples numbers put the Note as niche. 80 million to 5 million.
I have said over and over that it is successful. Niche, cult, is not derogatory. But it can't be called mainstream, not yet at least. Blackberrys were successful but were not Everyman mainstream phones. I think the Note is the new Blackberry, a great business enterprise phone that will have some commercial appeal, but not mainstream success. Popular on Wall Street but not Mainstreet.
Does anyone argue that the iPod Shuffle is not really a big seller to many people other than runners, bikers and those that go to he gym? No, because that is what it is and who it appeals to because of its SIZE. Why is it such a friggin stretch to think that not everyone wants a 5 inch phone and that it's appeal is limited, albeit to a large group?

So you've not only combined all of Samsung's handset numbers into one group to compare to a specific model, but also added all of their tablet sales and all of Apple's portable device sales to compare to a single product from a single company. If you want to take all the handset and tablet sales since the iPhone 4S released and compare that figure to only the iPhone 4S sales then you have the 4S being a niche product by your definition. That's disingenuous in every way.


BTW, as of June 2012 that number is 7 million, not 5 million.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #197 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So you've not only combined all of Samsung's handset numbers into one group to compare to a specific model, but also added all of their tablet sales and all of Apple's portable device sales to compare to a single product from a single company. If you want to take all the handset and tablet sales since the iPhone 4S released and compare that figure to only the iPhone 4S sales then you have the 4S being a niche product by your definition. That's disingenuous in every way.
BTW, as of June 2012 that number is 7 million, not 5 million.

Between two companies 80 million more phones smaller than 5 inches sold or shipped this year.

From the same manufacturer, 40 million more phones shipped that we're smaller than 5 inches.

How is that disingenuous?

The point is, a 5 inch phone is NOT a runaway success.

Not only do I not know anyone who has a Note, I don't even know anyone who knows anyone that has a Note.

The Note is popular but it is not universally so. Is there something wrong with that? Am I missing something? Have I been derogative of the Note in some way?

Perhaps this analogy will work for you without insulting anyone.

The Note is like a good independent film. A quality product, but perhaps a bit offbeat and not a mainstream universal success of say a summer blockbuster.
post #198 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Between two companies 80 million more phones smaller than 5 inches sold or shipped this year.
From the same manufacturer, 40 million more phones shipped that we're smaller than 5 inches.
How is that disingenuous?
The point is, a 5 inch phone is NOT a runaway success.
Not only do I not know anyone who has a Note, I don't even know anyone who knows anyone that has a Note.
The Note is popular but it is not universally so. Is there something wrong with that? Am I missing something? Have I been derogative of the Note in some way?
Perhaps this analogy will work for you without insulting anyone.
The Note is like a good independent film. A quality product, but perhaps a bit offbeat and not a mainstream universal success of say a summer blockbuster.

It's disingenuous because you are making a fallacious comparison for the purpose of disparaging the device. It's no different than people years ago calling the iPhone a niche product by comparing it's specific sales figures for the entire handset market. The Note is a success! Whether the 5.x" phone or phone-tablet hybrid will be successful or remain a niche market that is owned by only the Galaxy Note remains to be seen, but on a product-to-product comparison the Note is successful.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #199 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's disingenuous because you are making a fallacious comparison for the purpose of disparaging the device. It's no different than people years ago calling the iPhone a niche product by comparing it's specific sales figures for the entire handset market. The Note is a success! Whether the 5.x" phone or phone-tablet hybrid will be successful or remain a niche market that is owned by only the Galaxy Note remains to be seen, but on a product-to-product comparison the Note is successful.

I said Samsung shipped 2 million tablets last year!

It is only disparaging to Samsung tablets which are not a part of the discussion. No matter how you want to slice it, Samsung shipped 40 million more phones that were less than 5 inches.

Apple sold 37 million iPhones in the first quarter. That is, between two companies, close to 80 million more phones shipped or sold that we're smaller than 5 inches.

I never effing said that the Note is NOT a success! But it is NOT a household name! There is no average guy, on the street buzz about it! There are no reports about not being in stock. Nobody is lining up for it! It is NOT a phenomenon! It is a nice Independent Film that is successful, but it is not The Avengers.

The point is, 7 million people wanted a 5 inch phone and 80 million people didn't. There is a distinction between success and market share.

If the trend demonstrated that people wanted more 5 inch phones more manufacturers would be announcing them.

People, by contrast, purchased 3 million new iPads in the first 4 days. That is real cash that is unsubsidized by telecom carriers.

So however you want to cut it, the Note is not a blockbuster but it is a success. It is unlikely that even Samsung believes it to be their number one phone. A high priority phone? Sure, but not their everyday industry and brand defining phone.

If you friggin say that I have not called it a success again you are simply tone deaf.

It is the worlds number one selling 5 inch phone. There, feel better now?
post #200 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You don't understand. Your personal choice doesn't enter into the discussion. What you think is more or less portable is irrelevant. Just get it into your head that 10" is the best size and what you want or need is stupid.

At least that seems to be the rebuttal that you'll receive. Just saying...

You are now just being silly.

I have asked a simple user based question, "Does it fit in the front pocket of most to all pants?"

Anything that doesn't still requires some level of planning or thinking to bring it with you. Period.

This is a fact. It is not based on hypotheticals like, "ummm, if it is smaller id be more likely to take it with me to my buddies house.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display