or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display

Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display - Page 2

post #41 of 225

I am SO SO HAPPY I'm giggling as I type this because finally FINALLY we get this:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/681040/the_huge_cell_phone_and_yelling_prank/

post #42 of 225

I recently saw what must have been a Galaxy Note at the World Series of Poker in Vegas.  

Freakishly, goofily big.  Like a circus clown prop.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #43 of 225

Ballmer holds new Microsoft Surface up to his ear and begins to speak.

post #44 of 225

Comes with the patented "PPP" (Patch Pocket Protector), because it won't fit in regular pockets.  Just sew this patch onto your jeans or other outfit, and you won't have to walk around with it in your hand all the time.  If you want to wear more than a single pair of jeans, additional PPP's are available for only $14.99 each.

post #45 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I have used the iPad for a camera though and I must say it's just so good, that it kind of disappoints me that (so far) I kind of have to do it in secret so as not to be ridiculed.  I'm not sure I get why having a super large, super excellent, viewfinder for your camera is supposed to be "dumb." It really makes setting up the shot a lot easier and it's so WYSIWYG it's insane. 

Guess most people have never used 4x5 or 8x10 view cameras. The current iPad is still a little large, as most cameras of that size would be tripod mounted for stability, which the pad doesn't really allow. Hand holding, it's also a bit awkward to reach the right spot on the screen for the focal point selection.

A 7" tablet would be much better in that regard... (grin)

post #46 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

The perfect size for a smartphone is up to 4 inches. If you can’t operate it with one hand it’s not a phone anymore, it’s just some device with phone capabilities.

I actually wouldn't mind that one bit. IF I don't have to pay a contract. I don't make that many voice calls so some kind of pay as you go would be perfect.
For me the real issue is that I don't find the smaller screens that practical for my other needs. My iPad is a working size for me and I don't find it that hard to carry around etc

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #47 of 225
post #48 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Jumping in here, but yes, I think Apple has many, many, many prototypes of potential devices sitting in their labs. 5" Touches, 4" iPhones, 14" iPads, and yes, 7" iPads.

That is likely true but it doesn't equal the certainty of a product anymore than Apple getting a patent means they will use it themselves.

post #49 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

I guess the old Motorolas were 20 years ahead of their time.

LL
I miss the old bag phones. 3 watts of broadcast power!
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #50 of 225
Quote:

Guess most people have never used 4x5 or 8x10 view cameras. The current iPad is still a little large, as most cameras of that size would be tripod mounted for stability, which the pad doesn't really allow. Hand holding, it's also a bit awkward to reach the right spot on the screen for the focal point selection.

A 7" tablet would be much better in that regard... (grin)

Ram mount. I use a version of the Ram mount to mount the iPad 3 to my windshield for use as a gps but no reason you couldn't affix it to a tripod or other mount.
Worlds most awesome gps ever.
post #51 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

You nailed it.  Even 4 inches will not work for those with small hands, but 3.5 inches works for most everyone.

Has anyone talked to any app developers, who must be tearing their respective hairs out trying to match the graphics of each game to each device - sheesh.
The first part of your post i understand where you are coming from, but most of the large Android phones I see are in use by people with small hands.

Most of these comments don't even try to imagine what the needs of other people are when it comes to smart phones. I realize this is an Apple enthusiast dominated site, but comments like these just wreak of smugness.

The reality is, instead of two devices, you buy one. As a phone, you use it with Bluetooth or other hands free solutions or as a speakerphone. In a pinch you can pick it up and hold it against your head a lot easier than an iPad. For Internet browsing, e-mail, games, maps, books, etc. a 5" screen is going to be a lot easier to see and use. Most of the people I know with these oversized phones are women who carry purses ... so it's even more practical from a transportation standpoint. And I seriously doubt a manufacturer would invest the resources to manufacture and market such a device, of there were no market for it -- it may not sell like the iPhone, but it doesn't have to.

Personally, my iPhone is a bit larger than I would prefer for a phone in my pocket, but I accept this because it has so many other uses. Even before I had my iPad, I rarely sat around browsing on my iPhone, playing games, or anything else, because it's just too small ... I get frustrated pretty quickly with how hard it can be to navigate. And, I rarely put the iPhone up against my head, so aside from being able to slide it in my jeans, size is mostly irrelevant.

Now, I also have an iPad. When I travel, I take my iPhone and my iPad. That's still better than when I used to travel with my Motorola Razr flip-phone and PowerBook, but still, more than I need for most trips. A 5" iPhone might just fit perfectly into that category where it's the only device I need. I'm actually a little concerned about the new larger iPhone rumors, because if true, I don't feel the larger size will actually add anything to the useable screen space, and it will make it that much harder to slip into a pocket.

So I am definitely not the guy is phone is targeted at, but I can certainly see the appeal to others. So I say we all give that aspect of the phone a break.

The second part of your post is the most objective, which is manufacturers keep churning out these different form factors without any regard to how the software will work on them, nor with any eye toward upgrading or supporting it down the road. I totally agree this is worthy of ridicule ...
post #52 of 225

582_strip.bmp

I had a Samsung Exec in my chair last week - fitted him with the perfect glasses for his next board meeting.

Edited by Bagman - 7/6/12 at 10:53am
post #53 of 225
Quote:

I have used the iPad for a camera though and I must say it's just so good, that it kind of disappoints me that (so far) I kind of have to do it in secret so as not to be ridiculed.  I'm not sure I get why having a super large, super excellent, viewfinder for your camera is supposed to be "dumb." It really makes setting up the shot a lot easier and it's so WYSIWYG it's insane. 
I hear you. Aside from stability, The iPad is a great camera for framing a shot. I would never use it that way, because it's just too big to carry around for that purpose. But I would certainly do it, and have done it when I had the iPad with me (it mostly lives at home and in hotel rooms, and airplanes). I see people using it that way all the time in the wild -- at concerts, contests, sporting events, etc. and the people look pretty silly holding it up -- I also have to imagine it gets pretty heavy in the hands after awhile. The people using them remind me of my grandmother taking family photos with her old Brownie box-camera with flash attachment. Essentially turning the taker into a huge tripod.

And this is an Apple product!! So I have to point out, if folks here can't imagine anybody wanting a 5" phone, then you have to suggest that Apple should have never put a rear facing camera on the iPad, or at least one of no higher quality than video conferencing requires, because an iPad is just as impractical as a camera as a 5+" cell phone.
post #54 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If Samsung does create such a device, I imagine the target audience is fairly small.

There's certain professionals I can think of who could benefit from a pocketable ultra-portable mini-tablet. Adding a smart-stylus for mark-ups such as detailing a picture, highlighting specific notes or clipping a pertinent passage from a web image or page could be a helpful touch for tradesmen, salespeople and the like. That it could also be used as a phone if needed is just a side benefit. I doubt the idea that it might have some success developed in a vacuum. More likely it's prompted by feedback from users of the original Note.

Be assured, if this device is made Samsung will announce tremendous sales.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #55 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Who wants to carry one of these things around in their pocket? 

As of last March, according to Slashgear, around 5 Million people.

Quote:
Definitely not me. 

You Think Different.,

post #56 of 225

Samsung has sold over 7 million Galaxy Notes.   Somebody likes them.  

post #57 of 225
Quote:

I'm not so sure the whole "too big to be a phone" is really a valid argument.  I see a lot of people using iPhones and it seems a great deal of them don't hold it or talk into it in the same way as a typical or "regular" phone.  It's not just Android phones because they are big.  A lot of folks hold the iPhone in their hand like a small pizza and whisper into the microphone hole or the attached microphone on the speaker cable.  A lot of folks, put it on the table on speaker mode also.  

Maybe the idea that a "phone" has to be something you hold in one hand, and put up to your head so the speaker and microphone holes line up, is the thing that's passé.  

It's like everyone always says that you shouldn't take a picture with an iPad because .... ?  

Well, they never really say why, just that it "isn't done," or some such thing.  

Maybe time moves on, and maybe we should adjust what we think of as "normal" instead of laughing at people that are essentially innovating new ways to use a phone-type device.  Maybe the phone itself is being redefined at this moment in history?  Seems kind of likely to me.  

If Apple comes out with the iPad mini for instance, I will probably get one and it would seem likely it would replace my iPhone as well as my current iPad.  That means when I get that single phone call a month or so that I typically get, I will have to talk into my iPad, so I will be a "fool" also.  I don't think I'll feel like a fool though, and I think those calling me one would be the real fools.  

I bet half the people that think of these as not "real" or "proper" phones probably have that old-timey 'ringing phone' ringtone on theirs and think that's cool also.  :-/

I don't think anyone is a fool if they like these large phones. They just aren't for me personally. My biggest gripe with these large phones is carrying the thing around in a pocket. I generally don't like having anything other then my car keys, wallet, and iPhone. The iPhone is small, so I don't notice it in my pocket. When I had the Note, it was a little uncomfortable and kind of annoying inside my pocket. Yes, the large screen made it nice to read websites, look at maps,  and take notes with the S-pen at meetings, but I didn't like using it to take or receive phone calls. I do want the next iPhone to be bigger, but not substantially. 

Hey now, there is nothing wrong with the "Old Phone" ringtone on the iPhone 

post #58 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

As of last March, according to Slashgear, around 5 Million people.

You Think Different.,

A personal opinion doesn't make me think different. I'm sure many here don't like the idea of carrying the Note around in their pocket. What that number doesn't tell you how many of those phones were purchased by women. Carrying the phone around isn't an issue since most women use a purse. 

post #59 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Hey now, there is nothing wrong with the "Old Phone" ringtone on the iPhone 

Using that ringtone was included on a list I read once of "ways to tell if you are a geezer."  

Seemed apt to me.  

:-)  

The only other one I remember is that holding the iPhone with one hand, while poking at it with a single extended index finger from the other (especially if you have to look over your spectacles to do so), is considered to make you similarly "geezerish."  
post #60 of 225

it's different strokes for different folks, and i give them credit for trying to "innovate."  There will be some application for the larger phones.  It would be good to see some different form factors from Apple as the whole thin thing is getting old.  Thin is becoming a feature that isn't relevant, make it twice as thick with a battery that lasts, and you get a phone out of the consumer segment into the corporate market (and yes, we see a lot of iPhones already in the corporate market.)

post #61 of 225
Quote:

I'm not quoting it because that just perpetuates it, but this are some seriously offensive, racist/sexist comments here based on probably no actual information when it comes right down to it.  

I reported it and encourage the moderators to send you out to pasture for a few days.  

I know from reading the forum a lot that you are an older person with some seriously old-fashioned ideas and that you probably don't mean anything by this but seriously, if you can't behave in public, maybe it's time to stay in your room and not be commenting on teh internets?

Let's not fight racism with ageism.

[ Now get off my lawn!! ]

Edited by island hermit - 7/6/12 at 11:14am
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #62 of 225

I am waiting for the Series 9 Ultrabook to get phone capabilities so that it can be renamed a 13.3" flip phone.

post #63 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Granted 3.5 inches is too small anymore, but I wouldn't want to go bigger than 5.

That's not what your wife said to me last night. Bah-dum-Psssh!!!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #64 of 225

During a recent trip I traveled on five different airplanes, and a woman in my row had an AT&T version of a five-inch phone.  She loved it!  However, she did say that a lot of people in her workplace made fun of her for having such a large phone.

By the way, speaking of larger screen  devices, the number of people carrying iPads on those planes?  I don't fly very frequently, so to me it was a visible confirmation of how great the iPad is.  Another seatmate was a retired grandmother, and we compared apps on our iPads.  She carried a lot of games that her grandchildren play.  Cute!

post #65 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That is likely true but it doesn't equal the certainty of a product anymore than Apple getting a patent means they will use it themselves.

Obviously. But the individual to which I replied was commenting on the absurdity of the idea that Apple rushed to create a new, smaller iPad design in the year since Steve died. I was simply pointing out that the design for a 7" iPad -- along with many others -- already exists in Apple's labs. Just like the prototype for the iPhone 5 and the prototype for iPhone 6 already exist...

They simply have to decide to put it into production.

post #66 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Let's not fight racism with ageism.

[ Now get off my lawn!! ]

What I wrote was probably offensive, that's just how I roll, but it wasn't racist and it was backed up by statistical data. Anyway, this a non issue now, since the post is now history.

post #67 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Like I said before the Note is not for me, but it is certainly smaller than my Glock that I carry with me, so I don't imagine the Note would present an insurmountable challenge in terms of carrying it around. Granted that is in a holster and not a pocket.  Hey there is an idea, a holster that holds a sidearm and a smartphone. But if I really wanted a Note it would fit in my pocket, but I imagine not comfortably especially walking stairs or sitting down. I would guess most men would prefer to carry it with a belt clip holster and women would use a purse. Seems like a small price to pay if you really want all that screen real estate. 

Now you are getting the real fetish out in the open. I kinda wish you'd kept it to yourself.
post #68 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's not what your wife said to me last night. Bah-dum-Psssh!!!

Oh snap 1biggrin.gif

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #69 of 225
Quote:

Jumping in here, but yes, I think Apple has many, many, many prototypes of potential devices sitting in their labs. 5" Touches, 4" iPhones, 14" iPads, and yes, 7" iPads. And once the design is stable, it's just a matter of sourcing the parts and hiring one of their "turn on a dime" manufacturing partners.

You might also note that Steve was against quite a few things (like iTunes for Windows) but was later convinced that Apple needed to do them. 

The fact that during Jobs reign you say Apple created a 7" tablet that was so complete that it could be manufactured without haste is proof that Jobs was not against a 7" tablet and nothing he's ever been quoted saying states otherwise. He said the current 7" tablets were DOA and that the 9.7" iPd was the ideal size which could easily true if he meant it for their first tablet or for the available HW and cost in 2010. There is no proof that he's said that Apple will never make a 7" tablet or that no 7" tablet could ever be a viable product.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #70 of 225

I'm guessing something else of yours is tiny ...hence the need to compensate with a giant phone.

They really should make one a 12" one that you can carry on your shoulder for 'guys' like you.

post #71 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltroyo View Post

I'm guessing something else of yours is tiny ...hence the need to compensate with a giant phone.

They really should make one a 12" one that you can carry on your shoulder for 'guys' like you.

A bit early in your young life at AppleInsider to be slinging ad-homs already. Why not start with some well-thought out arguments why a device like this has no chance at success rather than juvenile attempts to mock more established forum members?

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #72 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by flabber View Post

This is getting ridiculous. I had the Note in my hand once... just once. It felt like the thing was handling mé instead of the other way around. How anyone can see that as a phone is out of this world. And an even bigger Note 2? Sign me up for being part of the group standing on the sidelines, laughing their butts off whenever we see somone lugging that thing around. 

... or wait. Maybe I can just start using my iPad as my primary phone! That would be an amazing idea! 1wink.gif

I agree, too funny. I bet their 'focus' group on this design were either five year olds or ninety year olds.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #73 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What I wrote was probably offensive, that's just how I roll, but it wasn't racist and it was backed up by statistical data. Anyway, this a non issue now, since the post is now history.

Hey, I found the old people / old fashioned ideas comment more offensive.

... and I'm not one who should be throwing stones (and I don't take that fairly tale literally either).

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #74 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Granted 3.5 inches is too small anymore, but I wouldn't want to go bigger than 5.

says who? it's a freakin' phone.     What do you want... a lunch tray up to your ear while you talk? ;-)

Tablets... yes... down to a certain point (7")...

Phones...  Smaller is better... less stress on the physical structure (phones should be indestructible), less bulk, more portable.

If you can't read it buy a $99 aTV and project your phone onto 55" big screen TV;-)

Note:  I'm 6'3" and have big hands... but small thumbs (Why yes, I'm a carny).

I'm all for an iPad Mini, but a iPhone 5"   nope.

4"... maybe, if the outer dimensions tighten up a bit.

post #75 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The fact that during Jobs reign you say Apple created a 7" tablet that was so complete that it could be manufactured without haste is proof that Jobs was not against a 7" tablet and nothing he's ever been quoted saying states otherwise. He said the current 7" tablets were DOA and that the 9.7" iPd was the ideal size which could easily true if he meant it for their first tablet or for the available HW and cost in 2010. There is no proof that he's said that Apple will never make a 7" tablet or that no 7" tablet could ever be a viable product.

He said 7" tablets are tweeners, then he added the current ones were DOA. I have a hard time imagining Jobs lking any 7". But all that is moot. He no longer runs the show.
post #76 of 225
Quote:

This is getting ridiculous. I had the Note in my hand once... just once. It felt like the thing was handling mé instead of the other way around. How anyone can see that as a phone is out of this world. And an even bigger Note 2? Sign me up for being part of the group standing on the sidelines, laughing their butts off whenever we see somone lugging that thing around. 

... or wait. Maybe I can just start using my iPad as my primary phone! That would be an amazing idea! ;)

As a phone it does seem ridiculous to me but as a small tablet type of device I think it's interesting and the rumored larger size makes even more sense imho.

... but as a phone... c'mon... really...

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #77 of 225
Quote:

... or wait. Maybe I can just start using my iPad as my primary phone! That would be an amazing idea! ;)

You are looking at it in a rather simplistic way. From what I have seen, people using these really large phones, at least the smart ones, do most of their talking using a bluetooth headset/ear bud. Most of the time when the phone is being handled, it is being used as a small tablet. Herein lies the appeal.

I have an iPad 2 and it is a great device. But you can't throw it into your pocket and carry it around as easy as a phone. Not even close. Even 7" tablets miss the mark in this regard. They are still too big. But a 5" phone, or maybe a little bigger like this one, still fits in most pockets and can be easily carried around. It is a far more portable device than any of the larger tablets.

Frankly, if Apple does come out with a 7" or so iPad they are stupid. It won't be significantly more portable than the normal iPad although I suppose it would have the appeal of being somewhat cheaper. What they should do is replace the iPod touch with a 5" iPad model and with wifi or wifi/3G/4G.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #78 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

You are looking at it in a rather simplistic way. From what I have seen, people using these really large phones, at least the smart ones, do most of their talking using a bluetooth headset/ear bud. Most of the time when the phone is being handled, it is being used as a small tablet. Herein lies the appeal.

I have an iPad 2 and it is a great device. But you can't throw it into your pocket and carry it around as easy as a phone. Not even close. Even 7" tablets miss the mark in this regard. They are still too big. But a 5" phone, or maybe a little bigger like this one, still fits in most pockets and can be easily carried around. It is a far more portable device than any of the larger tablets.

Frankly, if Apple does come out with a 7" or so iPad they are stupid. It won't be significantly more portable than the normal iPad although I suppose it would have the appeal of being somewhat cheaper. What they should do is replace the iPod touch with a 5" iPad model and with wifi or wifi/3G/4G.

-kpluck

That would be a first in a long while...

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #79 of 225

I see the Galaxy Note as a portable information appliance that just happens to include a phone app.

If you carry your phone in the pocket of your skinny jeans then clearly none of the modern Android devices is for you. They all have a screen size of at least 4.65".

If, however, you wear looser fitting casual pants it's easy to fit devices larger than an iPhone. If you live in a cooler climate where outerwear is a necessity most of the year then you likely have even larger jacket pockets available for your phone.

If you typically carry a purse or other bag then size isn't an issue. Heck many of you claim an iPad is portable.

Is it too big to use as a phone? That depends.

How often do you really use your mobile phone as a phone? Don't you use it for messaging, browsing and gaming far more than for actual voice calls?

Earbuds and bluetooth earpieces are a viable option for the ever shrinking portion of the population that still uses lots of minutes.

I have relatively small hands, but I'm looking forward to trying the Galaxy S III and Note II.

post #80 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I miss the old bag phones. 3 watts of broadcast power!

Yeah, buddy! I had a new '92 Pontiac Grand Am back in the day that didn't like my 3-watt bag phone. I always could tell when it was about to ring because the cruise control would disengage and the gauges would peg out. Once the call ended, everything would return to normal. :)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display