or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display - Page 3

post #81 of 225

The Note doesn't seem that big at 5.3" and 5.5" shouldn't be a huge difference. I have seen people using it, and I have always thought using the Internet and playing games on it is probably much more immersive. I see people text, IM, playing games, and web browsing much, much more than speaking on the phone. For me, I think 4.3" is a reasonable size.

post #82 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Frankly, if Apple does come out with a 7" or so iPad they are stupid. It won't be significantly more portable than the normal iPad although I suppose it would have the appeal of being somewhat cheaper. What they should do is replace the iPod touch with a 5" iPad model and with wifi or wifi/3G/4G.

-kpluck

I love how everyone thinks they know more than Apple and also more than everyone else on this forum.

I don't know if Apple will release a 7" iPad, but if they do, they would have a very strong reason to believe it would be successful. Apple hasn't released a 'stupid' product for a long time.

And lots of people here have expressed a significant interest in a 7" iPad. I can certainly see how it would be interesting to a lot of people.

Of course, it's hardly worth taking marketing advice from someone who claims that half the size is 'not significantly more portable'.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #83 of 225
Very good point. My Mac Performa had a telephone program that include voicemail. Just because it had a phone feature didn't mean that was all I used it for.
The 17" monitor was great, even though it was too big to hold to my ear when I used the phone!
Size is important and the more we use our phones for other things the more we will realize a larger screen size is important for many of the phone's uses.
And studies show more people are texting than calling.
post #84 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by flabber View Post

This is getting ridiculous. I had the Note in my hand once... just once. It felt like the thing was handling mé instead of the other way around. How anyone can see that as a phone is out of this world. And an even bigger Note 2? Sign me up for being part of the group standing on the sidelines, laughing their butts off whenever we see somone lugging that thing around. 

... or wait. Maybe I can just start using my iPad as my primary phone! That would be an amazing idea! 1wink.gif

I think you are overlooking Samsung's ability to innovate. Not everyone can just make screens bigger.






Sarcasm
post #85 of 225

I haven't read this whole thread because the overwhelming negativity is obvious. I'd just like to make a few points in favor of the suggested device.

 

The stats I've seen show that most phones aren't used much as phones. They're used for apps, games, web surfing, video chat and everything but phone calls.

 

Samsung has been surprised at the popularity of the Galaxy Note, so, if the rumor is true, they've decided to make a second version in the same size enclosure with a larger screen, probably edge to edge. Makes sense to me.

 

I had an original iPod touch with its tiny 3.5 inch screen. I used it for about a month and decided it was too small to be useful for internet and too big as an iPod. Since then, I haven't wanted an iPhone or any other iPod touch. I did recently get a Galaxy Player from Samsung with a 5" screen and I love it.

 

To each their own.

post #86 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I love how everyone thinks they know more than Apple and also more than everyone else on this forum.
I don't know if Apple will release a 7" iPad, but if they do, they would have a very strong reason to believe it would be successful. Apple hasn't released a 'stupid' product for a long time.
And lots of people here have expressed a significant interest in a 7" iPad. I can certainly see how it would be interesting to a lot of people.
Of course, it's hardly worth taking marketing advice from someone who claims that half the size is 'not significantly more portable'.

A 7" tablet isn't significantly more portable than an iPad. It would sell to women and perhaps students. But the truth is, you would still need a bag. You are not just gonna carry it and it won't fit in your pocket. And since it isn't a phone you don't need to have it with you.

But I really don't think a seven inch tablet would offer such an improvement in user experience that people would feel compelled to take both a tablet and their phone.

It still isn't a device to carry around casually. And by that standard NO, it isn't really more portable than a iPad currently is.
post #87 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Frankly, if Apple does come out with a 7" or so iPad they are stupid. It won't be significantly more portable than the normal iPad although I suppose it would have the appeal of being somewhat cheaper. What they should do is replace the iPod touch with a 5" iPad model and with wifi or wifi/3G/4G.

 

-kpluck

 

It won't be stupid. A 7" iPad would be a lot more purse and briefcase and backpack friendly. It would be smaller and lighter. More to the point, and as the Fire and 7 have shown, it could made and sold for a lot less money.

 

Personally, I think they should have the iPad AND a 7" iPad AND a 5" Touch AND an iPhone. And maybe even a 13"-14" iPad.

 

They do, after all, have 11", 13", 15" (and formerly) 17" notebooks. And shuffles and nanos and iPod Classics and Touches.

 

You can't cater to everyone, but there is something to be said for letting the user pick the size that THEY think is best suited to their lifestyle.

 

And, personally, stupid is assuming that everyone else's use case is the same as your own.

post #88 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


A 7" tablet isn't significantly more portable than an iPad. It would sell to women and perhaps students. But the truth is, you would still need a bag. You are not just gonna carry it and it won't fit in your pocket. And since it isn't a phone you don't need to have it with you.
But I really don't think a seven inch tablet would offer such an improvement in user experience that people would feel compelled to take both a tablet and their phone.
It still isn't a device to carry around casually. And by that standard NO, it isn't really more portable than a iPad currently is.

 

Says you...

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #89 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

 

It won't be stupid. A 7" iPad would be a lot more purse and briefcase and backpack friendly. It would be smaller and lighter. More to the point, and as the Fire and 7 have shown, it could made and sold for a lot less money.

 

Personally, I think they should have the iPad AND a 7" iPad AND a 5" Touch AND an iPhone. And maybe even a 13"-14" iPad.

 

They do, after all, have 11", 13", 15" (and formerly) 17" notebooks. And shuffles and nanos and iPod Classics and Touches.

 

You can't cater to everyone, but there is something to be said for letting the user pick the size that THEY think is best suited to their lifestyle.

 

And, personally, stupid is assuming that everyone else's use case is the same as your own.

 

... and what has Apple got to lose. So somebody who was going to buy a 10" decides to buy a 7", no real loss to revenue considering that there will probably be buyers of the 7" who would otherwise have bought a competitors product.

 

If Apple does bring out a 7" touch device then I think there are quite a few forum members who will need a sedative.

 

... and if they don't... well, there wasn't one in the first place so c'est la vie.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #90 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

A 7" tablet isn't significantly more portable than an iPad. It would sell to women and perhaps students. But the truth is, you would still need a bag. You are not just gonna carry it and it won't fit in your pocket. And since it isn't a phone you don't need to have it with you.
But I really don't think a seven inch tablet would offer such an improvement in user experience that people would feel compelled to take both a tablet and their phone.
It still isn't a device to carry around casually. And by that standard NO, it isn't really more portable than a iPad currently is.

You keep saying that it's not significantly more portable, but it's half the size. That is more portable in anyone's book (at least, anyone rational).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #91 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

 

 

Personally, I think they should have the iPad AND a 7" iPad AND a 5" Touch AND an iPhone. And maybe even a 13"-14" iPad.

 

They do, after all, have 11", 13", 15" (and formerly) 17" notebooks. And shuffles and nanos and iPod Classics and Touches.

 

You can't cater to everyone, but there is something to be said for letting the user pick the size that THEY think is best suited to their lifestyle.

 

 

That's very well-said and I agree completely. Apple sells so many millions and millions of iPads, iPods and iPhones; what's it going to hurt to make more choices available? 10 years ago, limiting the product line made sense, when Apple was struggling. But now everything they sell is a hit, so expanding the product line a bit should be no risk.

post #92 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

He said 7" tablets are tweeners, then he added the current ones were DOA. I have a hard time imagining Jobs lking any 7". But all that is moot. He no longer runs the show.

Yes! But you disagree that a smaller tablet is in between the iPhone and iPad?

Yes! And which of those 7" tablets actually thrived in the market?

You have a hard time imagining a human being that likes more than one thing in a product category but decides to start with a single product focus for their first device? You should really read the link below. The whole thing gives you insight to Jobs's clear thinking and Apple's current philosophy (whether you want to believe it or not) but here is a very relevant part about Jeff Bezos and Steve Jobs seeing Dean Kamen's Segway for the first time...
Quote:
"Because I see a big problem here," said Jobs. "I was thinking about it all night. I couldn't sleep after Dean came over." There were notes scribbled on the palm of his hand. He explained his experience with the iMac, how there were four models now but he had launched with just one color to give his designers, salespeople, and the public an absolute focus. He had waited seven months to introduce the other models. Bezos and Doerr nodded as he spoke.

Edited by SolipsismX - 7/6/12 at 5:27pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #93 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's not what your wife said to me last night. Bah-dum-Psssh!!!

Is that we're talking the level of discourse here? 😷 Don't make me break out my "Your binaries so fat..." jokes.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #94 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Says you...

Says the market share of 7" tablets.

People might buy an Apple version but it's shortcomings will become apparent after the fact.

There are lots of things people want until they own it.
post #95 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

HAHA wholly shait! It reminds of of when insecure, tiny men buy Hummers. LOL! Samsung doesn't know what else to do, copied everything they could out of Apple.

      HaHa, yeah finally they get to hold something big in their hand.

post #96 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Is that we're talking the level of discourse here? 😷 Don't make me break out my "Your binaries so fat..." jokes.

 

LOL. I'm not the one bragging about my "5 inches".

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #97 of 225
I think you're really reaching if you bring Bluetooth headsets or earbuds into the equation. I use BT earbuds and I love them -- and I also know I'm in a tiny minority of iPhone users in doing so. Apple is not going to modify their flagship product because of the habits of a few technophiles.

They're also not going to turn the iPhone into an iPad Nano. They want to differentiate their iOS offerings just as they differentiate iOS devices from Macs; they don't want them competing too much. Right now, they have a device optimized for one-handed use, which is incredibly portable and easily used as a camera or held up to the ear for voice calls. If they increase the screen size too much, they will essentially have a small iPad, with much the same benefits and drawbacks as the iPad, and they will no longer have any devices to fit the one-handed/small-handed/ultraportable niche. Why on earth would they do that? Someone on the thread mentioned that they'd rather have just one device that was a halfway tradeoff between usability and portability. Well Apple doesn't want you having that one device, they want you to buy two!

Also I can't understand these people who complain about 3.5" iPhone usability. Maybe you guys are farsighted? Have extra fat fingers? Use a lot of websites with heavy graphics that aren't mobile-optimized? Or maybe you're just doing it wrong? iPhones are actually *easier* to use one-handed, maybe you're trying too hard to make it a tablet, pecking away at it when you should be flicking everything with your thumb? Plus, even if they made a 5.5" iPhone it'd only make all the UI elements bigger; it wouldn't change the user interface. It would still be menu after menu after menu, you wouldn't get multiple panes like on the iPad. So I don't see how that would help, again unless you've got the farsighted/fat finger problem.
post #98 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


Says the market share of 7" tablets.
People might buy an Apple version but it's shortcomings will become apparent after the fact.
There are lots of things people want until they own it.

 

Oh... so you are able to buy a 7" iOS tablet.

 

I need the link... my wallet is ready.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #99 of 225

It amuses me that we will assess a phone based on it's svelteness (I'm very guilty). We will then discuss the usability of the screen size and when is big too big , but when all is said and done you go put the thing in an OTTER BOX anyway. How big is that when you've packaged it in one of those things or any other case for that matter ??

 

It seems to me that more and more we use blue tooth connections etc etc to talk on the thing but really use it when we are interacting with it as a smart phone and looking at the screen, ergo what's more important to me is it's usability as a smart phone and therefore a bigger screen which will reasonably fit in one of my pockets. 

post #100 of 225

People who have been used to super small devices should really hold back in saying that their device is the ONLY way. There is a reason why phones like these are selling. There are people who want it. I understand some of the Android and Samsung hate, but what Samsung is doing here is providing a device that fits other people's needs as well. I for one find it very easy typing on the note compared to the iPhone we love.

post #101 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Oh... so you are able to buy a 7" iOS tablet.

I need the link... my wallet is ready.

There are many 7 inch Android Tablets. Android OS currently owns market share, yet their tablets do not. But even Amazon is now making plans to make a bigger Kindle Fire.

The 7" form factor offers no advantage other than fitting in a purse better. And I just don't see guys carrying a phone in one pocket and a 7" tablet in the other pocket.

It would be a tablet that makes sense for women and kids only.

I do believe people would buy the thing but I just think that they will regret it after the fact.
post #102 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


There are many 7 inch Android Tablets. Android OS currently owns market share, yet their tablets do not. But even Amazon is now making plans to make a bigger Kindle Fire.
The 7" form factor offers no advantage other than fitting in a purse better. And I just don't see guys carrying a phone in one pocket and a 7" tablet in the other pocket.
It would be a tablet that makes sense for women and kids only.
I do believe people would buy the thing but I just think that they will regret it after the fact.


Hmmmm... I'm neither a woman or a kid. So you're wrong on that account.

 

You're making an argument against a product that doesn't exist which sounds vaguely familiar to the arguments I used to hear against the iPad, a market where all others had failed before Apple entered onto the scene.

 

A larger Note will be the first product that is not an Apple computer that I will seriously consider.


Edited by island hermit - 7/7/12 at 5:52am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #103 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


Hmmmm... I'm neither a woman or a kid. So you're wrong on that account.

You're making an argument against a product that doesn't exist which sounds vaguely familiar to the arguments I used to hear against the iPad, a market where all others had failed before Apple entered onto the scene.

A larger Note will be the first product that is not an Apple computer that I will seriously consider.

I said people will buy them but eventually you will discover that as a tweener device it will be full of compromises and ultimately it will dissappoint you in the long run. You will find that it doesn't make much sense to take with you everywhere when your new iPhone became larger itself and if you have to throw something in a bag anyways for a trip what is the point.

Like a super car, everyone thinks they want one and would use it until you actually own one and try and drive it daily. Only then do you realize that it isn't at all usefull or even that fun to drive. It is an ego purchase.

I'm just saying that all the "arguments" for buying the device will not pan out in the real world. After a while you will end up NOT taking a iPad nano out with you any more than you would have taken your iPad. It will sit on your coffee table at home next to your iPad.

And if you do take it to dinner, you will end up putting it in your wife's purse and she will quickly become irritated with you.
post #104 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


I said people will buy them but eventually you will discover that as a tweener device it will be full of compromises and ultimately it will dissappoint you in the long run. You will find that it doesn't make much sense to take with you everywhere when your new iPhone became larger itself and if you have to throw something in a bag anyways for a trip what is the point.
Like a super car, everyone thinks they want one and would use it until you actually own one and try and drive it daily. Only then do you realize that it isn't at all usefull or even that fun to drive. It is an ego purchase.
I'm just saying that all the "arguments" for buying the device will not pan out in the real world. After a while you will end up NOT taking a iPad nano out with you any more than you would have taken your iPad. It will sit on your coffee table at home next to your iPad.
And if you do take it to dinner, you will end up putting it in your wife's purse and she will quickly become irritated with you.

 

Oh, now you are way out in left field. People take the 10" iPad with them everywhere. Personally, a smaller iPad would fit my needs. If it was the right size then I would take it everywhere...  the 10", not so much.

 

Using your argument we'd be without notebook computers. My 13" MBP fits a different need than my 27" iMac. The experience is different on each but it is not disappointing on either.

 

Basically, you are exactly like the other two guys who are arguing with me against the 7" iPad... you are telling me who I am and what it is that I need. You are telling me that I won't enjoy the experience and that I won't use the device when, in fact, you should be saying that "you" would not enjoy the experience, "you" would give it to your Wife to put it in her purse etc. Myself... I know what I like, I know what I need and it would be nice if Apple provided it.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #105 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

. Myself... I know what I like, I know what I need and it would be nice if Apple provided it.

 

 

According to many, nobody knows what they want or what they need ... until Apple shows it to them.

post #106 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

 

 

According to many, nobody knows what they want or what they need ... until Apple shows it to them.

 

There is that as well.

 

[ ... and one of my arguments for a 7" iPad, should Apple choose to make one ]

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #107 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Oh, now you are way out in left field. People take the 10" iPad with them everywhere. Personally, a smaller iPad would fit my needs. If it was the right size then I would take it everywhere...  the 10", not so much.

Using your argument we'd be without notebook computers. My 13" MBP fits a different need than my 27" iMac. The experience is different on each but it is not disappointing on either.

Basically, you are exactly like the other two guys who are arguing with me against the 7" iPad... you are telling me who I am and what it is that I need. You are telling me that I won't enjoy the experience and that I won't use the device when, in fact, you should be saying that "you" would not enjoy the experience, "you" would give it to your Wife to put it in her purse etc. Myself... I know what I like, I know what I need and it would be nice if Apple provided it.

Dude, I said people will buy the thing, you included. Go ahead and buy it. I don't care, just don't tell me it is more portable than the regular iPad because it isn't.

7" iPad
It won't fit in your pocket. Check
You wont just walk around with it in your hand. Check
You will end up putting it in a bag. Check

10" iPad
It won't fit in your pocket. Check
You won't just walk around with it in your hand. Check
You will end up putting it in a bag. Check

People bought SUVs too because of the "utility" but never used 60% of its capabilities. And in the end, the things that a you do need to use everyday a minivan does much better. But the truth is you bought the SUV for status, fashion or ego. The SUV doesn't carry anymore people, doesn't have more storage and gets worse gas milage than the minivan.

If you truly NEEDED a smaller form factor you would have purchased one of the many 7" Android tablets. OS shouldn't trump a true necessity if you have really been hampered by the iPads form factor. It's only $200 dude it wouldn't break the bank if you truly need it. Truth is you don't need it, so don't hide behind the OS as an excuse.

Your arguing the need for a iMac or Mac Book Pro is stupid. Two completely different form factors. A Mac Book Air vs a Mac Book Pro is a more logical analogy and in that case one of them you wouldn't "need".
Edited by bmason1270 - 7/7/12 at 7:39am
post #108 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


Dude, I said people will buy the thing, you included. Go ahead and buy it. I don't care, just don't tell me it is more portable than the regular iPad because it isn't.
7" iPad
It won't fit in your pocket. Check
You wont just walk around with it in your hand. Check
You will end up putting it in a bag. Check
10" iPad
It won't fit in your pocket. Check
You won't just walk around with it in your hand. Check
You will end up putting it in a bag. Check
People bought SUVs too because of the "utility" but never used 60% of its capabilities. And in the end, the things that a you do need to use everyday a minivan does much better. But the truth is you bought the SUV for status, fashion or ego. The SUV doesn't carry anymore people, doesn't have more storage and gets worse gas milage than the minivan.
If you truly NEEDED a smaller form factor you would have purchased one of the many 7" Android tablets. OS shouldn't trump a true necessity if you have really been hampered by the iPads form factor. It's only $200 dude it wouldn't break the bank if you truly need it. Truth is you don't need it, so don't hide behind the OS as an excuse.
Your arguing the need for a iMac or Mac Book Pro is stupid. Two completely different form factors. A Mac Book Air vs a Mac Book Pro is a more logical analogy and in that case one of them you wouldn't "need".

 

Look, Scooter, the difference between 10" and 7" is enough to make a difference to me. ... and, yes, the OS makes a difference to me and I'm not hiding behind anything. I needed a more powerful computer for a long time and finally they started making them. I had to use what was available in the interim. The fact that it wasn't there didn't lessen my need... is that clear enough for you or should I start drawing pictures.

 

BTW, your analogy is really stupid. It would be closer to a 17" MBP and a 13" MBP. Oh, I know, in your world there should only be one notebook size and there should only be one desktop size. By the way, what color is the sky in your world.

 

How the f*ck did you guys become so arrogant in your lives. I know how I got there but at least I realize it...


Edited by island hermit - 7/7/12 at 8:22am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #109 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Dude, I said people will buy the thing, you included. Go ahead and buy it. I don't care, just don't tell me it is more portable than the regular iPad because it isn't.

And, once again, your blind assertion doesn't make something true.

A 7" iPad would be half the size of a 10" iPad. That's certainly going to provide some difference in portability.

If not, then why would anyone buy a 13" MBA instead of a 15" MBP? Those two are closer in size than a 7" and 10" iPad. Clearly, the market believes that there's a difference.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #110 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Look, Scooter, the difference between 10" and 7" is enough to make a difference to me. ... and, yes, the OS makes a difference to me and I'm not hiding behind anything.

How the f*ck did you guys become so arrogant in your lives.

Once you start calling names you have lost the argument.

All I hear about the reason for needing a 7" iPad is "It will be more portable". I'm saying that it is not signicantly more portable. Period, end of story.

Will you buy one? Sure, have at it. I'm just saying that it will be a compromised experience. Apple does not like to make compromises. This isn't a iPod Shuffle type of thing where the size difference is a significant feature for not only how it is used but reflected in price as well.

Students will like it I'm sure, but if it maxes out at 32 Gigs then I'm calling boondoggle on it.

So go ahead and buy your SUV and convince yourself you need the ground clearance, the stiffer ride and the banged up doors. Enjoy watching the kids try and climb up into it. If you are objective about it, you'll find that you will be better served by a minivan.

Enjoy the smaller screen, the same iPad portability, the likely less storage and the ultimate question "why am I really bringing this AND my new larger iPhone with me at the same time when they are both close enough in size and they both do the same things?"
post #111 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

People bought SUVs too because of the "utility" but never used 60% of its capabilities. And in the end, the things that a you do need to use everyday a minivan does much better. But the truth is you bought the SUV for status, fashion or ego. The SUV doesn't carry anymore people, doesn't have more storage and gets worse gas milage than the minivan.
People bought a larger vehicle that they realized they didn't need. That supports Island Hermit's point.

I think the current is popular because of it's ease-of-use but a lot of people are finding that it's more than sufficient (and in many ways better) than their truck PC. For that reason I can see an 8" Apple tablet — I don't want to call it an iPad — being popular. It's still not pocketable, as you point out, but it's certainly more portable. I think it increases many limitations in performance and usability to go smaller but so do notebooks over desktops yet those are the most popular PC sold today.

I don't think an 8" iPad would suit my needs but I can see how it can suit others.
Quote:
If you truly NEEDED a smaller form factor you would have purchased one of the many 7" Android tablets. OS shouldn't trump a true necessity if you have really been hampered by the iPads form factor. It's only $200 dude it wouldn't break the bank if you truly need it. Truth is you don't need it, so don't hide behind the OS as an excuse.

I think the problem here is that you think the OS doesn't matter. Without a decent OS the hardware is irrelevant. RiM couldn't believe the original iPhone was that fluid and smooth. It was and that was key to Apple owning the handset market. Same goes with the tablet market. MS and their OEMs had decades and never understood the fundamental issues.
Quote:
Your arguing the need for a iMac or Mac Book Pro is stupid. Two completely different form factors. A Mac Book Air vs a Mac Book Pro is a more logical analogy and in that case one of them you wouldn't "need".
The all have a display for the primary output, and a keybaord and mouse/trackpad for the primary input. The fact their form is different has no barring on the OS's UI. The form of the old CRT iMac is different from the first flat-screen iMac with the round base (love that model!) is different from the current design. That doesn't make them fundamental different experiences from the user's PoV.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #112 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


Once you start calling names you have lost the argument.
All I hear about the reason for needing a 7" iPad is "It will be more portable". I'm saying that it is not signicantly more portable. Period, end of story.
Will you buy one? Sure, have at it. I'm just saying that it will be a compromised experience. Apple does not like to make compromises. This isn't a iPod Shuffle type of thing where the size difference is a significant feature for not only how it is used but reflected in price as well.
Students will like it I'm sure, but if it maxes out at 32 Gigs then I'm calling boondoggle on it.
So go ahead and buy your SUV and convince yourself you need the ground clearance, the stiffer ride and the banged up doors. Enjoy watching the kids try and climb up into it. If you are objective about it, you'll find that you will be better served by a minivan.
Enjoy the smaller screen, the same iPad portability, the likely less storage and the ultimate question "why am I really bringing this AND my new larger iPhone with me at the same time when they are both close enough in size and they both do the same things?"

 

What, names like "dude" and "stupid".

 

I guess you lost the argument.

 

... and you're the guy who says that a 4" iPhone will give you same experience as a 7" iPad.

 

Oh boy... we have a winner!


Edited by island hermit - 7/7/12 at 8:18am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #113 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


People bought a larger vehicle that they realized they didn't need. That supports Island Hermit's point.

 

I should just let BMason keep going. He's actually contradicted himself a few times without realizing it.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #114 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And, once again, your blind assertion doesn't make something true.
A 7" iPad would be half the size of a 10" iPad. That's certainly going to provide some difference in portability.
If not, then why would anyone buy a 13" MBA instead of a 15" MBP? Those two are closer in size than a 7" and 10" iPad. Clearly, the market believes that there's a difference.

Why buy two different size MacBooks? Price. Portability is pretty insignificant between the two. My argument is based on "relative portability" not price point. The capabilities between the two are significantly different as well so the purchase decision is based primarily on the perception that a smaller iPad will be a portable miracle when in truth it really isn't. It will simply be "less" iPad than truly "more portable".

That is okay, people believed SUVs to be more usefull than a Minivan too. The everyday reality and truth didn't bear that out but they still sold like hot cakes anyway. It was simply an excuse to rationalize a stupid purchase to satisfy the "I don't want to be seen in a minivan."

The 7" form factor has been idealized based on a exaggerated premise. In fact it is just as much an exaggerated justification as your exagerated claim that a 7" device is "half the size" of a 10" device.
post #115 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I should just let BMason keep going. He's actually contradicted himself a few times without realizing it.

I'm not arguing the potential sales of the device. I am arguing that the form factor in the long run will not alter the portable use relative to a regular iPad. if you needed a tablet in that form factor you would have purchased one already.

If the size was such a deal maker and opened worlds of opportunity then many 7" Android tablets would eating into iPad market share.

You want one because you just want one, but to say it is filling a "need" is laughable.
post #116 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

What, names like "dude" and "stupid".

I guess you lost the argument.

... and you're the guy who says that a 4" iPhone will give you same experience as a 7" iPad.

Oh boy... we have a winner!

On this I take bmason1270's side. His use of "dude" wasn't name calling but a common usage (at least where I'm from) of starting a conversation on the defensive. His use of "stupid" was referring to your argument, not you. On the other hand, as mild as it is, your use of Scooter is a derogatory name.



PS: There is only one Dude.

495

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #117 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


I'm not arguing the potential sales of the device. I am arguing that the form factor in the long run will not alter the portable use relative to a regular iPad. if you needed a tablet in that form factor you would have purchased one already.
If the size was such a deal maker and opened worlds of opportunity then many 7" Android tablets would eating into iPad market share.
You want one because you just want one, but to say it is filling a "need" is laughable.


And as some people mentioned before, the need can come afterwards. Many people did not need an iPhone when it came out. then it did, and people flocked it. What samsung is doing may be a hit and miss, but Apple was not always a successful brand. I must say, the sales and number of people I see using these devices, makes it a needed item now. ;)

post #118 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


Why buy two different size MacBooks? Price. Portability is pretty insignificant between the two. My argument is based on "relative portability" not price point. The capabilities between the two are significantly different as well so the purchase decision is based primarily on the perception that a smaller iPad will be a portable miracle when in truth it really isn't. It will simply be "less" iPad than truly "more portable".
That is okay, people believed SUVs to be more usefull than a Minivan too. The everyday reality and truth didn't bear that out but they still sold like hot cakes anyway. It was simply an excuse to rationalize a stupid purchase to satisfy the "I don't want to be seen in a minivan."
The 7" form factor has been idealized based on a exaggerated premise. In fact it is just as much an exaggerated justification as your exagerated claim that a 7" device is "half the size" of a 10" device.

 

Okay... his "exaggerated" claim of being half the size is out by a bit... the area of a 10" is 44.72 sq. in. and the area of a 7" is 24.3 sq. in.

 

Just saying.


Edited by island hermit - 7/7/12 at 8:41am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #119 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


On this I take bmason1270's side. His use of "dude" wasn't name calling but a common usage (at least where I'm from) of starting a conversation on the defensive. His use of "stupid" was referring to your argument, not you. On the other hand, as mild as it is, your use of Scooter is a derogatory name.
PS: There is only one Dude.
 

 

I found dude to be as offensive as Scooter. You can't tell me that he didn't mean it in a derogatory manner.

 

{There is difference in inflection]


Edited by island hermit - 7/7/12 at 8:39am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #120 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Okay... his "exaggerated" claim of being half the size is out by a bit... the area of a 10" is 44.72" and the area of a 7" is 24.3".

Just saying.

LOL touché
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display