or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Americas First Woman POTUS

Americas First Woman POTUS

post #1 of 10

Many Americans were delighted that a black became POTUS, but that still leaves some major other groups still left out in the cold, including women, atheists, openly GLBT's, Native Americans, Hispanics, Latino's, Jews, Asians and Muslims.

Romney would be the first Mormon president if elected but that's it. So I'm curious, how long do you think it will be before America elects a woman as POTUS or any of the other major groups and why is it taking such a long time to do? 

Here is a breakdown of the groups as a percentage of the population-

1. Women --- 51%
  2. GLBT's --- [aprox] 17%
  3. Hispanic or Latino --- 16.3%
  4. Asian --- 4.8%
  5. Muslim --- 2%
  6. Jew --- 1.7%
  7. Native American --- 1%
  8. Athiest --- 0.7%
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #2 of 10

A black? Obama is every bit as white as he is black. And he's not even an African-American, technically speaking. He is not descended from any slaves. His wife is an African-American, technically speaking. Somebody referring to Obama as being white would be no more wrong than somebody referring to him as being black.

But to answer you question about a woman POTUS, it's impossible to predict, but I believe that America is done voting for people primarily based on skin color or their gender for a while. I would never vote for a female, just so they could become the first female President ever. That would be extremely sexist and wrong. If somebody is qualified enough, that is what they should run on. Is every special interest group and minority out there going to demand that a President comes from their group eventually? What's next, the national association of clowns running somebody for President? 

I also believe that Obama has ruined the chances for any other minorities following in his footsteps for many decades at least. 

Edited by Apple ][ - 7/6/12 at 4:59pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:

Hands Sandon:

"GLBT's --- [aprox] 17%"

There is absolutely no way that nearly 1 in 5 people are LGBT.  No.  Effing. Way.   The very high end estimate is 10% for gays/lesbians alone.  The more realistic estimate is 5%.  You're telling me another 12% is bi or trans?  Come on.  

Apple ][

Quote:
A black? Obama is every bit as white as he is black. And he's not even an African-American, technically speaking. He is not descended from any slaves. His wife is an African-American, technically speaking. Somebody referring to Obama as being white would be no more wrong than somebody referring to him as being black.

I don't actually agree with that.  He's considered a black man by the vast majority of people.  One doesn't have to be descended from slaves to be authentically black.  

Quote:
But to answer you question about a woman POTUS, it's impossible to predict, but I believe that America is done voting for people primarily based on skin color or their gender for a while.

Agreed, on the whole.  There will still be a lot of people that vote for Obama because he's black, though...just like the Congressional Black Caucus accused the GOP of racism against Eric Holder. 

Quote:
I would never vote for a female, just so they could become the first female President ever. That would be extremely sexist and wrong. If somebody is qualified enough, that is what they should run on. Is every special interest group and minority out there going to demand that a President comes from their group eventually? What's next, the national association of clowns running somebody for President? 

Yeah, the whole premise of Hands' initial post is absurd.  Especially this part:  

Quote:

Hands Sandon:  

...but that still leaves some major other groups still left out in the cold, including women, atheists, openly GLBT's, Native Americans, Hispanics, Latino's, Jews, Asians and Muslims.

LOL!  Left out in the cold?  Because they've never had one of their "members" elected President?  Yes, Hands...the U.S. will forever be racist and bigoted until we elect a transgendered person to the Presidency.  Jesus.  

Quote:

I also believe that Obama has ruined the chances for any other minorities following in his footsteps for many decades at least. 

I don't know about many decades, but I fear you're correct about that.  He's been such a horrible President.  It cannot possibly help race relations in this country, nor advance the cause of minorities getting elected high office.  It may not hurt, but it certainly won't help.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I don't actually agree with that.  He's considered a black man by the vast majority of people.  One doesn't have to be descended from slaves to be authentically black.  

I do agree that he's considered a black man by the majority of people. As for being descended from slaves, I was referring more to African-American, rather than black. If some black dude from Nigeria decides to move to the US and eventually gets granted citizenship, he is not an African-American in my opinion, and will never be one. I define African-American as black Americans who are descended from slaves, not random blacks who came to this country a few years ago. But people do have differing definitions of what an African-American is, so others might have a differing viewpoint.

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

But to answer you question about a woman POTUS, it's impossible to predict, but I believe that America is done voting for people primarily based on skin color or their gender for a while. I would never vote for a female, just so they could become the first female President ever. That would be extremely sexist and wrong. If somebody is qualified enough, that is what they should run on. Is every special interest group and minority out there going to demand that a President comes from their group eventually? What's next, the national association of clowns running somebody for President? 

I agree, he is "every bit as white as he is black". I don't like calling him simply "black", because it appears to be ignoring that fact. 

The US's so called "black" or "African American" population have on average 17% European genes. Still, they don't look European, and white Americans with African genes sometimes upwards of 30% still look 100% European. I don't see any good reason why we can't call them and him grey or semi-shaded, like Obama clearly is. 

I guess until he looks like this pic, "black" will be the norm, even if it's wrong-

barack-obama-as-a-white-man.jpg

Edited by Hands Sandon - 7/9/12 at 4:08pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

There is absolutely no way that nearly 1 in 5 people are LGBT.  No.  Effing. Way.   The very high end estimate is 10% for gays/lesbians alone.  The more realistic estimate is 5%.  You're telling me another 12% is bi or trans?  Come on. 

If it turns out that there is say 7% of the population who are gay or lesbian, then I would say double that number to get how many bi-sexual people there are. That would mean we're up to 21%. Women especially I think have bi-sexual tendencies. It's mostly hidden due to having kids and societies expectations of what's acceptable etc. I'd say less than double for men though, so combine the two sexes and it's about double the number of gays and lesbians. Sex for women doesn't penetrate and is often a much more sensual emotional thing in comparison to men thereby making it less intrusive, literally. Women also are a lot less aggressive than men, so less to worry about, and I think it's fair to say the delicate beauty of women is widely appealing to women too.  I dated a woman once who thought that nearly all women were bi-sexual.

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

If it turns out that there is say 7% of the population who are gay or lesbian, then I would say double that number to get how many bi-sexual people there are. That would mean we're up to 21%. Women especially I think have bi-sexual tendencies. It's mostly hidden due to having kids and societies expectations of what's acceptable etc. I'd say less than double for men though, so combine the two sexes and it's about double the number of gays and lesbians. Sex for women doesn't penetrate and is often a much more sensual emotional thing in comparison to men thereby making it less intrusive, literally. Women also are a lot less aggressive than men, so less to worry about, and I think it's fair to say the delicate beauty of women is widely appealing to women too.  I dated a woman once who thought that nearly all women were bi-sexual.

I don't agree with you on almost anything...but damn, you'd be a good wingman.  :)

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

... Women also are a lot less aggressive than men...

Holy Crap!!! ... You really need to get out more.
Can you remember back to secondary school?? ... Girls are frickin' VICIOUS !!! ... It doesn't change as they age, they just get better at hiding it!

(no, I don't personally remember back to secondary school very well 1wink.gif, but I have three daughters there now... Plus the wife I've been living with for nearly 30 years... It's safe to say that women are WAY more aggressive than men.)

Also... Where'd you get those statistics?
I think you could flip the GLBT and Atheist numbers around and have more accuracy.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #9 of 10

There has never been a minority woman Democratic governor.

The future female president doesn't look like it is coming from the Democrats. If you aren't a former co-president, then there is no back up plan.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #10 of 10

Identity politics is fun and confusing.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Americas First Woman POTUS