or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: 7-inch iPad to be produced in Brazil for fall launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: 7-inch iPad to be produced in Brazil for fall launch - Page 3

post #81 of 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


The population of the American continents long predates Ericson's voyage, so he couldn't have been the discoverer either.
I wasn't going to post this, being in Wikipedia and all, but since you did:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States
"The United States of America (commonly called the United States, the U.S., the USA, America, and the States)"

 

What a great "rathole" this thread's become.....

 

I don't think anyone's noted that Columbus didn't think he'd discovered "America," or any NEW continent - or continents.  He wasn't looking to discover a new PLACE at all, rather a route to an existing place to make trade with China and the far East easier.  So he thought he was in Asia.  (Note:  He and his men after all may never have seen many or any Asians, maybe only sketches or verbal descriptions, and the indigenous population did have some of those characteristics.) 

 

And as the Spanish gov't set up HQ in Hispanola, realizing over time, this was clearly not Asia, the new continents were later named after map-maker Amerigo Vespucci - who may not in fact have really deserved the credit - so the "re-discovery" and the whole name "America" is the result of a number of errors and accidents.

 

Meanwhile, North America was only distinguished as a separate area after South America had been known to Spain for a bit. 

 

"The earliest known use of the name America for this landmass dates from April 25, 1507, where it was used for what is now known as South America."

 

"It first appears on a small globe map with twelve time zones, together with the largest wall map made to date, both created by the German cartographer Martin Waldseemüller in Saint-Dié-des-Vosges in France. These were the first maps to show the Americas as a land mass separate from Asia.

 

An accompanying book, Cosmographiae Introductio, anonymous but apparently written by Waldseemüller's collaborator Matthias Ringmann,[25] states, "I do not see what right any one would have to object to calling this part [that is, the South American mainland], after Americus who discovered it and who is a man of intelligence, Amerigen, that is, the Land of Americus, or America: since both Europa and Asia got their names from women". Americus Vespucius is the Latinized version of the Florentine explorer Amerigo Vespucci's name, and America is the feminine form of AmericusAmerigen is explained as Amerigo plus gen, the accusative case of the Greek word for 'earth', and meaning 'land of Amerigo'.[25] (See etymology.) Amerigo itself is an Italian form of the medieval Latin Emericus (see also Saint Emeric of Hungary), which through the German form Heinrich (in English, Henry) derived from the Germanic name Haimirich.[26]

 

Vespucci was apparently unaware of the use of his name to refer to the new landmass, as Waldseemüller's maps did not reach Spain until a few years after his death.[25] Ringmann may have been misled into crediting Vespucci by the widely published Soderini Letter, a sensationalized version of one of Vespucci's actual letters reporting on the mapping of the South American coast, which glamorized his discoveries and implied that he had recognized that South America was a continent separate from Asia; in fact, it is not known what Vespucci believed on this count, and he may have died believing what Columbus had, that they had reached the East Indies in Asia rather than a new continent.[27] Spain officially refused to accept the name America for two centuries, saying that Columbus should get credit, and Waldseemüller's later maps, after he had ceased collaboration with Ringmann, did not include it; however, usage was established when Gerardus Mercator applied the name to the entire New World in his 1538 world map. Acceptance may have been aided by the "natural poetic counterpart" that the name America made with Asia, Africa, and Europa.[25]"

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas [emphasis supplied]  And otherwise we might be debating "North and South Columbia."

 

Today's "Native Americans" may not have been the original human discoverers either.  The earliest "Paleo-Americans" - once thought to be the Clovis people in some theories (centered on North America)  - may predate them by some thousands of years and may have died out before or during a later influx of the people we know today as "NAs."  This could tie in with an (unconfirmed but not rejected) theory of a semi-massive meteorite strike in the northwest of North America - which may have helped lead to the extinction of many large North American fauna about 11,000 years ago, meaning those folks may have had a severe game shortage or been otherwise effected themselves. But much evidence has accumulated since this was proposed.  Including genetic evidence of European type genes many (perhaps 10's of thousands of) years before Columbus or Ericsson. Some theories also talk about migrations of mammoth hunters to account for this.

 

"The archeological evidence suggests that the Paleo-Indians' first "widespread" habitation of America occurred during the end of the last glacial period or, more specifically, what is known as the late glacial maximum, around 16,500–13,000 years ago.[3]"

 

"The chronology of migration models is currently divided into two general approaches.[4][5] The first is the short chronology theory with the first movement beyond Alaska into the New World occurring no earlier than 15,000 – 17,000 years ago, followed by successive waves of immigrants.[6][7] The second belief is the long chronology theory, which proposes that the first group of people entered the hemisphere at a much earlier date, possibly 21,000–40,000 years ago,[8][9] with a much later mass secondary wave of immigrants.[10][11][12]"

 

"Pre-Clovis sites uncovered from 1973 to 1978 Meadowcroft Rockshelter in Pennsylvania site indicated occupancy as early as 16,000 years ago and possibly as long as 19,000 years ago. Dates in excess of 19,000 years have been claimed for the deepest occupation layer uncovered"

 

"Clovis theory – People were living near Clovis, New Mexico where tools from this era were found in the 1930s. This find gave rise to the widely held "Clovis First" theory that people spread through the Americas only after the Ice Age.[48]The Clovis culture was believed replaced by several more localized regional cultures, such as the Folsom tradition, from the time of the Younger Dryas cold climate period."

 

Much more on this at:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_of_the_Americas

 

From which I deduce the new machine will be 7.85", assembled "in the Americas" and keep Android (and the Nook/Fire forks of same) from getting too well-established too soon where they could move up the food chain to the 10" range.  And the new UI's for the slightly altered ergonomics will be code-named "Clovis."  Until a giant meteor strike resurrects the Spanish Armada.

 

It's only logical.......


Edited by bigpics - 7/8/12 at 10:58am

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #82 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

 

I'm sure it's news to Mexico that they aren't part of North America. Does that invalidate the North American Free Trade Agreement?

 

Central America has always consisted of Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama.

I always thought Texas was part of south America. They don't even speak English down there.   :-)

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #83 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagrepa View Post

@waybacmac.

Do you not realize that Brazil is part of America?

Most people confuse America with the United States, when in reality there is something like 32 countries in America.
I mean no disrespect, I just think that most People get there hopes up when we are promised "bringing jobs back to America" turns out not to be more jobs created in the USA.

Maybe thats because the U. S. official name is The United States of America. I think that other people of other countries would be offended being called america when they have there own national identities and names. Yes all of these countries are part of the continents know as the "Americas" but there is only one that calls itself "The United States of America"
post #84 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Americans of the South American continent. Nothing wrong with that, but if you are referring to a single country and state America as a singular noun the only reasonable conclusion is that you are from the United States of America.

Yes, if you're in the United States.

 

Quote:
I'll ask again, do you think it's wrong to use United States as if no other country has states that are united? Of course not, you're just being bigoted and xenophobic.

 

Before you jump into petty name calling because someone stated a differing opinion, I would like to point out I was merely explaining how other cultures use the term "American." It's fine to assume "American" means a citizen of the United States. I too use American to refer to our fellow citizens. It's the common usage here. There's nothing wrong with it.

 

There is also nothing wrong with other cultures considering themselves "Americans" because they are in Central or South America. That's just how they view things, and if you ever plan to do business internationally, it would be a pertinent thing to know. 

post #85 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet Blue View Post

There is also nothing wrong with other cultures considering themselves "Americans" because they are in Central or South America. That's just how they view things, and if you ever plan to do business internationally, it would be a pertinent thing to know. 

Except that the only 3 countries in "the Americas" that have economies of any note at the moment are US, Canada, and Brazil, so call the other ones whatever you want.  But learn how to be polite in Chinese and Hindi.

post #86 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

In the Eddie Murphy movie, "Coming to America", only very dumb people and extremely ignorant individuals would ever think that the title meant that the movie would be taking place in South America, for example.

Well, gee, I did! I mean Eddie Murphy kinda looks like he's from South America, even though "Murphy" is a fine Irish name. He does speak English with an odd accent; Oh, when I say "English," I'm referring to the language of Great Britain, not just the part called "England." Anyway, Eddie Murphy, it would seem, speaks a language closer to that spoken in the Falklands, which is really part of South America, even though it is somehow connected to England, and more like English as spoken in the U.S..

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #87 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Actually… the combined Northern, Central and Southern Americas are referred to collectively as "The Americas"… separately they are known as "North America" (comprising the U.S. and Canada), "Central America" (comprising Mexico and numerous countries south to Panama), and "South America" (comprising numerous countries, including Brazil).

No textbooks that I'm aware of refer to the three areas of the Americas collectively in the singular, "America".

The only country commonly referred to generically in the singular as "America" is the United States of America. 


Brazil is part of South America, or The Americas… 

Are we done splitting hairs now? 1wink.gif

no, not quite done splitting hairs.

Mexico is in fact part of North America, along with Canada and the USA. Central America starts at Guatemala extends south to Panama.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #88 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Mexico is in fact part of North America, along with Canada and the USA. Central America starts at Guatemala extends south to Panama.

Central America is a non-continental political demarcation. North America is as I previously defined it. Central America is a subsection of North America.
post #89 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Central America is a non-continental political demarcation. North America is as I previously defined it. Central America is a subsection of North America.

Yep, that's true.

From a continental standpoint, Central America is a subset of the north American continent.

The main point I was making is that when central america is defined separately (as it often is for political reasons or otherwise) it excludes Mexico. It's a common mistake however for folks to include Mexico in this central American grouping.

Peace out from the only country which is also a continent (by some definitions).
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #90 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/151145/rumor-7-inch-ipad-to-be-produced-in-brazil-for-fall-launch/40#post_2142347"]I thought that this thread would be about iPads and Brazil, but apparently I was wrong. Some jealous people and historical revisionists, quite similar to holocaust deniers and other revisionists, seem to have a problem with the standard definition and the accepted meaning of common words.

If you're not a US citizen, then you are not American, end of story. Too bad for you.

In the Eddie Murphy movie, "Coming to America", only very dumb people and extremely ignorant individuals would ever think that the title meant that the movie would be taking place in South America, for example.

When Anita in West Side Story sings " I want to be in America!" does anyone ever thinks she means Brazil?
post #91 of 156

Actually, you don't realize how close you are on this one. Most people spinning the iPad mini rumour mill should realize that there needs to be an iRemote to go with that iVision set. An app driven remote that just happens to be an like iPad mini like device with a simplified iOS app front end for accessing channel apps !!
 

post #92 of 156
I thought the whole debate was amusing.

If you take the position that it is "incorrect" to call people from the United States "Americans," you'd have to be content with saying that it may be ambiguous in certain circumstances, although not in the context in which it was used (we all understood very clearly what was intended,) and so what's the point of the assertion? Who has the final say on how a word can and cannot be used? Aren't we always, in regard to "correctness" forced to defer to the communicability of the concept as arbiter, and in this case the concept was successfully communicated? If you hold that language is subject to strict rules of propriety, in which correctness is achieved by strict adherence to rules, you're authoring a philosophy that is not widely held, much less followed.

If you take the position that it is "offensive" to call people from the United States "Americans" then you're not being very subtle. It is offensive to say, "Mexicans aren't REAL Americans" because the idea itself is offensive, and intended to imply that some subset A is superior to some subset B. The idea that "I live in America" is somehow inherently offensive as well is ridiculous, however. The idea doesn't contain an insult unless you invent one. If any people, even Europeans, wanted to call themselves Americans we wouldn't say they were being offensive, only confusing. Similarly, if any continental Americans wanted to disambiguate themselves as "Americans," the only thing we might accuse them of is disambiguating ineffectively.

Glad I could settle that for you.
post #93 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drealoth View Post

The one thing that I don't like about my iPad is that I have to carry a bag of some sort if I want to take it somewhere (at which point I typically just grab my laptop instead). On the flip side, I have the $80 Kindle, which fits in my jean pocket and goes everywhere with me. So if this is portable enough that at the very least you can fit it in a jacket pocket, it would be a big win for me.

 

My experience is quite different… I used to take a day pack everywhere when I always carried my MBP around, and now I don't. iPad is more like a folio or paper notebook in size… I just carry it in my hand, or tucked under my arm, and most times don't take a bag at all. If I know I'm going to do a lot of extended work and typing, I bring a small shoulder bag that fits the iPad along with my bluetooth keyboard and charger.

 

I find it much more convenient and pleasant than lugging my laptop and bags...

 

I'm using an iPad with the original Apple case though (it cover the entire iPad), so it carries conveniently like a folio or a book. I haven't tried this with the newer iPads, using something like the 'smart cover'...

post #94 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post


no, not quite done splitting hairs.
Mexico is in fact part of North America, along with Canada and the USA. Central America starts at Guatemala extends south to Panama.

 

We've got to get these split ends under control… 

 

 

Actually, as I know it there are four common ways to "divide" the Americas, with variations within those...

 

Here's the one that supports my supposition...

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LocationNSAm3.png

 

Here's the original source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

 

Using NAFTA as the main rationale that Mexico is firmly a part of North America isn't valid IMO… I mean, we have NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) which has member states existing on the eastern edge of the Mediterranean Sea, nowhere near the Atlantic, much less the North Atlantic… so, geographic location isn't always the true measure of a treaty's membership...

 

As a kid I used to think two ways. Either just North and South America (North+Mexico+Central combined, and South, a valid sub-division, I might add… see linked reference above), or North America (US & Canada), Mexico, Central America (with a vague border on the south side), and South America… That one wasn't exactly correct :) It never even occurred to me to include Caribbean countries in there...

 

All this is lost on the original point which has some validity. He was first (sardonically?) hinting that the "corporate overlords" might use the notion of 'bringing jobs back to America" to mollify the masses in the US, and they wouldn't exactly be lying when those jobs actually went to Brazil… tricky bastards!

 

And, while stating correctly that not EVERYONE in the world uses "American" to exclusively mean "of the United States", most of the world accepts that usage today, and people from the USA certainly do.

 

Carry on splitting… I've said enough on the matter!

post #95 of 156

It works both ways…

 

Is there any doubt to the citizens of which country the term "ugly American" refers?

 

Dictated on my iPad.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #96 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

 

 

I think you are all missing something. The new iPhone, iPod touch and -- the iPad - could well be 16:9 to compete with the fire. This would make them a larger iPod touch - i.e apps for a retina display could zoom up to this non retina display exactly. 

Nope, intentionally left that out of the diagram...if you go 16:9 on all devices the result is usability only in landscape mode.  with narrower side bezels as well you result to a landscape only experience.  that is a "NO" IMO.  look at the difference in the screen aspects between the 11" MBA and the 13" MBA.  I wanted the 11" but saw the screen aspect and said N-O.

post #97 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

I'd take the 7.85" (with less bezel as noted by another poster... but I'm sure Ive would make it very attractive). The 6" one would be fine as well. Anything that is smaller than the current iPad in the 6-8 inch range and has iOS (how about in between 6 and 7.85).

well, I have stated in the past that 6.85" is actually 1/2 between 9.7" and 4"(rumored).  which would make the 7" iPad rumors more accurately stated.

post #98 of 156

More and more corroborating rumours for this, and it matches what they did with the iPod. Not very exciting from a technical perspective: probably just the same but smaller, but might be exciting from a marketshare perspective.

post #99 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagrepa View Post

The point of my post is to show people that if you are not specific that the government will not be. In the end their ass is covered because per definition they did bring jobs back to "America"

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

The Americas, or America,[2][3] are lands in the Western hemisphere, collectively sometimes considered a single continent, also known as the New World.

 

As found on the worlds most popular dictionary. which true it can be edited by most anyone, is believed without question by most American Sheep.

i would post the whole thing, but most people read the first line and run with it anyways. but for those claiming I'm taking it out of context, follow the link.

As for my life and future, I retired at 26 and am set for life.

 

Yeah, that's right. 

 

"The government" is (collectively?) hiding in a corner, rubbing their hands with glee, saying "We got em fooled now!! We promised to bring jobs back to America, but we didn't say *which* America!! We're totally covered, dudes!!"

 

 

Dk13x.gif

post #100 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

 

 

I'm curious - isn't that razor wire fence topping installed in the direction so as to keep people IN, rather than out?   What's up with that?

 

That's easy: Workers should be deterred from leaving their workplace before their 16-hour-shift is over.

 

And they should be deterred from stealing and selling some of the products they build there, as their income of 0.5 $ per hour might inspire them to do so.

I disagree, and could prove you're wrong; care to offer any proof that you're not wrong?
Reply
I disagree, and could prove you're wrong; care to offer any proof that you're not wrong?
Reply
post #101 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReadAllNuz View Post

Actually, you don't realize how close you are on this one. Most people spinning the iPad mini rumour mill should realize that there needs to be an iRemote to go with that iVision set. An app driven remote that just happens to be an like iPad mini like device with a simplified iOS app front end for accessing channel apps !!

 

A remote that can be handled by an app on the current iPad, iPod touch and iPhone for a real tv that is still a total fiction being spread by moron analysts like Shaw Wu. Promoted by sites like AI for the page hits so their ad revenue goes up.

As for certain topics that have emerged in this thread (and others). I wish this site came with the ability to down rank posts or at least ignore certain posts and all replies that quote a blocked post as well as blocking replies to posters you are ignoring. Then when something goes off the rails we users can trash it for ourselves even before the moderators might do it.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #102 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Actually… the combined Northern, Central and Southern Americas are referred to collectively as "The Americas"… separately they are known as "North America" (comprising the U.S. and Canada), "Central America" (comprising Mexico and numerous countries south to Panama), and "South America" (comprising numerous countries, including Brazil).

No textbooks that I'm aware of refer to the three areas of the Americas collectively in the singular, "America".

The only country commonly referred to generically in the singular as "America" is the United States of America. 


Brazil is part of South America, or The Americas… 

Are we done splitting hairs now? 1wink.gif

Check your books again, Mexico is part of North America.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #103 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Now if they meant the 4th gen iPod Nano, that might make a little more sense, since that model had an elliptical cross-section and might add to the rumors of apple doing a curved screen.  And I don't think they mean the literal form factor of the Nano, just in theory.

 

HT1353_nano5g.jpg

 

I kind of miss the 4th gen Nano. And the click wheel: there's still no easier way to scrub over small sections of a very long (say, 2-hour long) audio program.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #104 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

I kind of miss the 4th gen Nano. And the click wheel: there's still no easier way to scrub over small sections of a very long (say, 2-hour long) audio program.

 

Hey!... quit hijacking the thread! This thread is about the Americas...  oh, wait...

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #105 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the source said the new device will be more akin to a third-generation iPod nano than a shrunken iPad
 

 

I wonder if that means they will come in a range of colours like the iPod Nano rather than just black or white like the iPad and iPod Touch. That would be interesting.

post #106 of 156

Since the thread is already so derailed, I might as well weigh in. I'm a Canadian. I'm also a European, but we can leave that out for now. Am I "American"? Here's how I typically determine this. If someone, or some group, is referring to "Americans" in a positive manner, I'll assume that I am included in the discussion. If they are deriding "Americans", I'll just assume they mean "yankees" since surely they don't mean Canadians. Yankee for American? There's another category mistake for us to debate I suppose. If they are talking about "North Americans" either positively or negatively, I'll take myself to be included.

 

Anyway, for my part I think Planet Blue expressed the most sensible view/attitude. People like to pretend using American to mean, exclusively, US citizens is innocuous, but it isn't. There is a criticism often level against "Americans", err, Yankees, umm, USers, outside the of the US, namely, that they think they are the center of the universe and that everything resolves around them. Using American as it's been used and justified in this thread seems to re-enforce that image, even if it's not a fair criticism.

 

 

Disclaimer. Not everything in this post was earnest and serious. I'll let you sort out what is what.


Edited by johndoe98 - 7/8/12 at 2:36pm
post #107 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

Since the thread is already so derailed, I might as well weigh in. I'm a Canadian. I'm also a European, but we can leave that out for now. Am I "American"? Here's how I typically determine this. If someone, or some group, is referring to "Americans" in a positive manner, I'll assume that I am included in the discussion. If they are deriding "Americans", I'll just assume they mean "yankees" since surely they don't mean Canadians. Yankee for American? There's another category mistake for us to debate I suppose. If they are talking about "North Americans" either positively or negatively, I'll take myself to be included.

Anyway, for my part I think Planet Blue expressed the most sensible view/attitude. People like to pretend using American to mean, exclusively, US citizens is innocuous, but it isn't. There is a criticism often level against "Americans", err, Yankees, umm, USers, outside the of the US, namely, that they think they are the center of the universe and that everything resolves around them. Using American as it's been used and justified in this thread seems to re-enforce that image, even if it's not a fair criticism.


Disclaimer. Not everything in this thread was earnest and serious. I'll let you sort out what is what.

1) That's just stupid! When referring to a country I doubt you or Planet Blue would pretend to be confused by a comment where someone says American.

2) If you and Planet Blue honestly think that the continents of the Americas are a single continent that it's most common to refer to all the peoples of these two continents as one culture than you are just biased biased because of the dozens of countries I've been to I've never met a single sane person that refers to this grouping in that way. Find me an Italian or Swede that refers to themselves as an Eurasian and we'll talk.

3) The United States of America is the only country in the world that has the name America in it so to say that it's

4) The fact you choose to acknowledge a comment about a defined country as either being about 2 vast continents which include 35 counties or only to one who lives in the New England section of the USA depending on whether the attitude of the speaker is positive or negative is absurd, to say the least. A comment about a country should be comprehended about being about that country, regardless of it's favorable or not. Same goes when people are talking about a subcontinent, continent, or multiple continents of a region.

5) USers? I can't say I've ever heard that used... ever. And why use it since it's just as ambiguous since there are plenty of countries that have stated that are united. There are even multiple countries with the name United in them. Yet you and Planet Blue aren't up in arms by any apparent confusion about what is meant by united or states.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #108 of 156

Solip, I know jest/sarcasm is tough to discern in posts, but I tried to disclaim it. I guess my sense of humor is really out there, incomprehensible and not humorous.

post #109 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Check your books again, Mexico is part of North America.

 

Depends on which "sub-division" you're using… there are, apparently, different, equally legitimate schools of thought on the matter...

 

such as:
 

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LocationNSAm3.png

 

Here's the original source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

 

 

But you know? I'd much rather talk about the potential future of iPad form factors (and since we're discussing rumors here I probably wouldn't be any more "correct" about that either, but it'd presumably be more fun!)...

 

 

post #110 of 156
When traveling in other countries, I've always felt uncomfortable with the term "American" as it seems rather ignorant of other people living in the western hemisphere. Actually when asked - both here and abroad - where I'm from, I always just answer Texas. I have a strong sense of identity with this, as I would suspect people from other states do for their home state as well. To me this conveys even more information.

Oh yeah, I'd prefer the 6" iPod touch, after seeing the picture I can't understand why anyone would prefer the 7.85" iPad because the form factor is not reduced enough to give it any added portability, which is the only reason I could see for making a smaller iPad.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #111 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

I kind of miss the 4th gen Nano. And the click wheel: there's still no easier way to scrub over small sections of a very long (say, 2-hour long) audio program.


If you miss it, take a good look at the Nokia Lumia. More than passing resemblance there if you ignore the absence of the clickwheel and the different sizes.

post #112 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

 

Depends on which "sub-division" you're using… there are, apparently, different, equally legitimate schools of thought on the matter...

 

such as:
 

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LocationNSAm3.png

 

 

That's a particularly bad example.  Here's the description attached to that image: 

Description Division of the Americas into North, Middle and South America.

 

So 


So Mexico through Panama (and maybe Venezuela--it's a really vague diagram) are part of "Middle America?"  And here I thought middle America referred to salt-of-the-Earth old-fashioned USAers.
post #113 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Depends on which "sub-division" you're using… there are, apparently, different, equally legitimate schools of thought on the matter…

None of which considers a definition of North America different from the one I mentioned earlier, however.
post #114 of 156

Dudes- "God Bless America" does not mean God Bless Peru!

post #115 of 156

if this is true, it would be seriously cutting into samsung's profits.

 

think about it. samsung can't sue apple for design infringement because it'll just be a mini iPad. people will purchase this over samsung because apple already has a reputation for kick-ass integration hardware/software. so if it takes away profits from samsung and android, i'm all for it.

post #116 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is even more absurd! Have you ever played quest-style video game? Did you rediscover solutions to puzzles or did you simply discover them? You certainly weren't the first to find them. Even if you were first among your friends you still weren't the first. Same goes for Columbus finding the land masses known as North and South America. They were unknown to that part of Europe at the time so it's a discovery. Plain and simple.
America is not a continent! North America is a continent, South America is a continent, and Central America is a subcontinental region of North America. For your comment to make sense it has to be plural to refer to the American continents. This stuff is not up for debate!
PS: No man is an island, except maybe Australians.

 

That's why I put the (re) before the discover. Can't you read?

 

America is a continent in the 4 and 5-contient model one of the two 6-continent models ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent#Number_of_continents / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_(continent) ).

Do not confuse with tectonic plates.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Lief Ericson. But that was Newfoundland and your point is moot anyway.
As is yours, by virtue of the fact that "American" is the demonym for one country and one country alone. If you want to change that, start a global petition and have the UN deem it disallowed.
But I hope you realize that even if that happens, we're still calling ourselves Americans.

 

Brazilians, Mexicans, etc are Americans too. It's just that it would be easier for everyone if there were another name for the people from the USA. That way there would be no confusion between Americans from America and Americans from the States.

post #117 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffeque View Post

Brazilians, Mexicans, etc are Americans too. It's just that it would be easier for everyone if there were another name for the people from the USA. That way there would be no confusion between Americans from America and Americans from the States.

It would be easier if there was only one noun gender in German. Sie beklagen sich nicht.

"American" is our demonym. You want it changed, petition the UN to make it unrecognized. Good luck.
post #118 of 156

While it seems fashionable to report rumors ... here's a key question.

Why would Apple even want to offer a smaller screen that is even more challenging to type on with the virtual screen... Just because Amazon and Google are offering something in the smaller format?

 

Look at true costs, all the extra parts, the marketing, etc.  Apple is scheduled to bring forth the iPhone 5 ... why impact that introduction with a non-profitable product like a 7" tablet that the media thinks should match what Amazon and Google will be giving away.  Apple makes profit on better products ... not marching to the tune of wanna be tablet producers.

 

Improved software in the app format will sell more iPads 9.7" size ... not the dwarf many are writing about.  Apple just introduced the incredible Retina Screen on the 3rd generation iPad.  They're not going to jeopardize the growing interesting in iPad 9.7" format.

 

If you want smaller ... you have iPhone 4 and 4s.

 

Guess all you want ... this is not going to happen IMHO

post #119 of 156

As if anybody is ever going to mistake a person belonging to a third world country as being American, lol. That's the funniest shit that I've read all day.

post #120 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

As if anybody is ever going to mistake a person belonging to a third world country as being American, lol. That's the funniest shit that I've read all day.

 

On the other hand, it's this exact kind of smug attitude that created this thread in the first place, derailing a perfectly a good story about the iPad mini.  

 

-----------------------

This whole discussion can be boiled down to:

 

OP - "Isn't it a tiny bit rude how US citizens co-opt the word 'America' as if it belonged only to them, and that they are the only true Americans?" 

 

Everyone else - "Yeah!"

 

The "Americans" - "No Way! (and f*ck you for saying so!)"

 

.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: 7-inch iPad to be produced in Brazil for fall launch