or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Wozniak on Microsoft Surface: 'Steve Jobs came back reincarnated at Microsoft'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Wozniak on Microsoft Surface: 'Steve Jobs came back reincarnated at Microsoft'

post #1 of 203
Thread Starter 
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak quips Steve Jobs "came back reincarnated at Microsoft" referring to the Redmond-based company's recent design breakthroughs that have culminated in the new Surface, a tablet which sports a marriage of art and technology reportedly befitting of the late tech guru.

Wozniak made the comment during the 2012 Entel summit in Chile, reports Business Insider, and said he is eager to get his hands on Microsoft's latest device after seeing the company's significant strides in design with Windows Phone 7.

"[Microsoft's latest products] have such a strikingly good visual appearance which is a lot of what Steve Jobs always looked for, the art and technology; the convergence of art and technology," Wozniak said. "And usually It was...visual appearance of things. So I made a joke that Steve Jobs came back reincarnated at Microsoft."

Microsoft announced that it would be entering the tablet hardware market in June with the ARM-based Surface for Windows RT and the Intel-powered Surface for Windows 8 Pro.


Source: FayerWare


While industry pundits see the device as a possible iPad competitor, some OEMs are less than supportive of Microsoft's effort. Soon after Surface was announced, Acer founder Stan Shih balked that the tablet is merely a ploy to drum up interest for Windows 8 OS while computing giant HP reportedly scrapped its own plans to build Windows RT units. The reason for HP's alleged actions are unknown though some have speculated the company is reticent to enter a market where Microsoft would have a distinct pricing advantage as it would not have to pay for OS licensing.

Last week Bill Gates said that Apple may need to create a Surface-like product of its own as the iPad simply can't compete with the versatility of Redmond's upcoming tablet which runs a more full-featured operating system than the stripped-down iOS.

"I do want to see the Surface," Wozniak said, "I want to own one, I want use one but I prefer to judge things I really know and not just what I've read about. But I'm glad that Microsoft is, you know, starting to show that maybe they're a different company than before. I don't remember this sort of thing happening in a long, long time for Microsoft so I'm very happy."

During the interview Wozniak also detailed his views on the future of sentient computing and recent legal developments relating to the Megaupload filesharing case and that company's flamboyant founder Kim Dotcom.
post #2 of 203
Woz has some problems IMHO.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #3 of 203

No one ever accused Wozniak of having good taste.

post #4 of 203

This should be a fun thread.

post #5 of 203

Wow. Does Woz have a grudge with Apple these days? It's one thing to say that Microsoft did a nice job, but this takes it to a whole new level.

post #6 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Woz has some problems IMHO.

Speaking his mind, sans any silly brand-bias, is all that he's displayed time after time... Good Work Woz.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #7 of 203

Two questions:

 

1.  Why does Woz keep talking about technology as if he is relevant and influencing innovation?

 

2.  Why do people keep quoting Woz as if he is relevant and influencing innovation?

post #8 of 203
That's rich! I'm quite a fan of what MS we've seen from the Surface HW but everything MS is doing is the exact opposite of what Jobs did with Apple back in 1997.

If Jobs were at MS he'd have not announce two versions of the Surface with two incompatible app architectures at the same time. He would not have released Metro as just another version of Windows. He would not have invited the press to see a demo of a product that wasn't even close to being ready or being truly tested by the tech industry. He wouldn't have shown his hand and then have no release date or price points.
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/9/12 at 2:01pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #9 of 203

Oh my...

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #10 of 203

Steve Jobs just rolled over in his grave!

post #11 of 203

What does Woz even do anymore? Apart from being an old face that's occasionally wheeled out for nostalgia?

post #12 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronked View Post

Two questions:

1.  Why does Woz keep talking about technology as if he is relevant and influencing innovation?

2.  Why do people keep quoting Woz as if he is relevant and influencing innovation?


Exactly. Who the heck cares what Woz thinks?

I've been asking the same question every month or so when AI posts another silly article telling us what phone Woz uses or what he thinks about something. What's next? His favorite brand of athletic shoe?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #13 of 203

Woz gets quoted because of his past connection to Apple and the fact that he says good things about brands other than Apple.  And I appreciate that he appreciates all sorts of tech from all sorts of companies.  He'll try out just about anything tech, regardless of brand - I assume because he's interested and can afford to do so.  He comes off as being less biased that way.  If I had the money, I would likely do the same.

post #14 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

No one ever accused Wozniak of having good taste.

He is known to love just about all new gadgets; he can also afford to buy, use and collect every single electronics device that comes down the pike. I like his attitude just fine, but he definitely isn't a discerning critic.

post #15 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's rich! I'm quite a fan of what MS we've seen from the Surface HW but everything MS is doing is the exact opposite of what Jobs did with Apple back in 1997.
If Jobs were at MS he'd have not announce two versions of the Surface with two incompatible app architectures at the same time. He would not have released Metro as just another version of Windows. He would not have invited the press to see a demo of a product that wasn't even close to being ready or being truly tested by the tech industry. He wouldn't have shown his hand and then have no release date or price points.

 I believe Surface will hurt Microsoft so badly that Ballmer will depart in the next couple years. If it turns out great, it will be his saving grace. The likelihood of that happening, sadly, is quite low in my eyes.

post #16 of 203

You need a surface to use the Surface. And that's worse than a MacBook Air.

post #17 of 203

I find it ironic that Woz mentioned a couple of years ago that he would be open to any invitations from Apple if they were so inclined to try and employ him.

 

You may wish to stop singing the praises of Android, Mike Daisy, and Microsoft if you wish that to happen, Woz...

There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
Reply
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
Reply
post #18 of 203

I didn't think that Americans did irony?

Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #19 of 203

It IS nice in concept, speaking as a techie nerd. They’ve come up with some truly original and cool stuff.

 

When/if it’s finished and fully working, will it be equally nice in reality? I hope so.

 

Will it be AS nice as an iPad, and iPad’s app library? For most people, almost certainly not. But you have to start somewhere.

 

Since it’s a future device and OS, not a present day device and OS, how will it fare against the future iPads and iOS versions that Apple releases? Apple’s not standing still. Hopefully they will push each other into better and better things.

 

And you can compare to the MacBook Air, too. Is is Microsoft yet again making a “worse laptop” because they don’t “get” tablets? Will one of the Surface lines succeed while the other fails? How will they be priced? It will be interesting to see.

 

I give MS credit where due, and so does Wozniak it seems.

post #20 of 203

I don't think Woz has been quite right since the plane crash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wozniak#Airplane_crash

post #21 of 203

Just ask Foursquare and see where he goes the most. I feel sorry for the man really. Seriously? What an insult. The fact that he references Apples MobileMe iDisk and then corrects with iCloud shows he doesn't use the service regularly. I feel like he backs Apple because of his history, not because of its future. He is out of the technology loop. He is no more in the know than any other consumer. I would like an iWatch or google glasses too but I cannot comment cause I don't own them either. People ask his opinion about stuff cause it was important once. Now he's just a regular consumer with enough money to buy the latest gadget. 

post #22 of 203

Jobs would've never let this happen...

SurfaceCrash.gif

post #23 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

 I believe Surface will hurt Microsoft so badly that Ballmer will depart in the next couple years. If it turns out great, it will be his saving grace. The likelihood of that happening, sadly, is quite low in my eyes.

I see the Surface has a last ditch effort to gain some traction in the tablet market (a market MS entered in the 1990s). I see it much like the Zune was a last ditch effort to use their 900 pound gorilla influence to gain some traction in the PMP market. This meant pissing off their Play4Sure OEMs but that wasn't a big deal because those vendors were already failing.

Of course, a key difference between then and now is that 1) MS's size pales in comparison to Apple's size and 2) losing the PMP market really only mean losing the internet music market from MS's PoV but losing Windows on tablets which are replacing PC sales for many will be a huge longterm issue for MS if the Surface doesn't work out. You didn't say that specifically but I have a feeling that is what you were eluding to in your post.

I'm not sure Ballmer will be gone in a couple years. I'd like him to be since I have a feeling he is the poison of many of their bad choices but if he's still there now I wonder if the board ever push him out. They have money and they have shown they have the ability to grow and adapt (e.g.: WinNT kernel on WinPh8 and Metro UI); I just hope they can fix their problems before it's too late.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #24 of 203

This is why Woz is still a great guy  - he just loves good technology and he doesn't care who makes it.  He's the opposite of the kind of venom filled blind fanboys who infest the internet and spew their hatred against anything that isn't from their chosen camp. 

 

I'm looking forward to using a Surface for myself, as should anyone who is interested in technology.

post #25 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I find it ironic that Woz mentioned a couple of years ago that he would be open to any invitations from Apple if they were so inclined to try and employ him.

 

You may wish to stop singing the praises of Android, Mike Daisy, and Microsoft if you wish that to happen, Woz...

Other than dating Kathy Griffiths he hasn't done anything of note for at least 30 years, so he's pretty much open to any and all job offers.  

 

That's why he's in the news a lot.  He's just another minor celebrity who never turns down a free lunch or a speaking engagement and will allow himself to be interviewed for anything from a high school newspaper to the National news.  Sad really, and this latest pronouncement just makes him look like an old fool.  He's naive enough to not even notice when others are using him to their own ends also.  

 

Both Wozniak and Jobs started out working their asses off in that garage, Steve was still working right up to the day he died, whereas Wozniak hasn't done anything at all with the rest of his life.  It escapes me why he is idolised so much.   

post #26 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

Jobs would've never let this happen...

Steve had dozens of products crash on him onstage. I can only remember two instances in which he had to switch devices, though. And he probably didn't have to; he just did for expediency's sake.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #27 of 203
.... And wrapping up tonight's Top Ten "Things you can't get away with saying, even if you're Woz". In at # 1....
post #28 of 203

Woz needs to start taking his meds again.

post #29 of 203

Wozniak has enough $$ to buy any and all gadgets he wants. His buying habits do not translate to the general public.

post #30 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

This is why Woz is still a great guy  - he just loves good technology and he doesn't care who makes it.  He's the opposite of the kind of venom filled blind fanboys who infest the internet and spew their hatred against anything that isn't from their chosen camp. 

 

I'm looking forward to using a Surface for myself, as should anyone who is interested in technology.

 

There is an absolutely HUGE difference between "the surface is interesting, I'd like to play with one to see how it works," and "Steve jobs has been re-incarnated at Microsoft."  

 

He's a friendly, nice guy by all accounts so I can see why others rush to defend him, but seriously ... he's an idiot for saying this, and a bit of a clown overall.  

post #31 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjohn3 View Post

I don't think Woz has been quite right since the plane crash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wozniak#Airplane_crash

 

That's not the problem!

 

I had fairly regular contact with Woz before and after the accident.  He was a little spacey right after he got out of the hospital, but after a few weeks he was back to his normal self.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #32 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Other than dating Kathy Griffiths he hasn't done anything of note for at least 30 years, so he's pretty much open to any and all job offers.  

 

That's why he's in the news a lot.  He's just another minor celebrity who never turns down a free lunch or a speaking engagement and will allow himself to be interviewed for anything from a high school newspaper to the National news.  Sad really, and this latest pronouncement just makes him look like an old fool.  He's naive enough to not even notice when others are using him to their own ends also.  

 

Both Wozniak and Jobs started out working their asses off in that garage, Steve was still working right up to the day he died, whereas Wozniak hasn't done anything at all with the rest of his life.  It escapes me why he is idolised so much.   

Seriously?  You honestly think he hasn't done anything else with his life?

post #33 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Woz has some problems IMHO.

haha I agree. He is a bit short of a byte. 

post #34 of 203

Poor Woz. After DWTS, he's become incurably addicted to media attention.

post #35 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidod315 View Post

What does Woz even do anymore? Apart from being an old face that's occasionally wheeled out for nostalgia?

 

Woz, since 2008, has been an investor and Chief Scientist of a cloud solutions company called Fusion-IO. How involved he is I don't exactly know and he may have been given the title just because of the amount he has invested. I've been told this is a hot, up and coming company because of the technology they offer, with Cisco, HP, Dell and a few other bigger companies using their unique solutions.

 

http://www.fusionio.com/company/management-team/

You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #36 of 203
It appears to me that since Jobs death, Woz has taken every bit of spotlight he can get, almost as if it's something he always wanted but could never get in Jobs shadow.

I don't expect the 'surface' to gain much marketshare. Likely around 5%, just like their phones.
post #37 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak quips Steve Jobs "came back reincarnated at Microsoft" referring to the Redmond-based company's recent design breakthroughs that have culminated in the new Surface, a tablet which sports a marriage of art and technology reportedly befitting of the late tech guru.

 

 

Dk13x copy.gif

post #38 of 203
I think it's more like they raised Jobs from the dead and have him propped up with electrodes in a cooled room. Some of his "new" ideas are coming in a little staticky, such as the "ARM...zzt..zzt...Windows..." stanza.

However, I think Jobs hit it on the head with the x86 model.
post #39 of 203
(nevermind...)
post #40 of 203

The Microsoft Surface is the future of computing. Even if it fails as a device it is the direction all tablets are going. The Wacom was out a long time ago and so were the Slates. Tablet computers will be on par with laptops in the near future. From then on will be the battle between personal choices of tablet versus laptop. Many people now prefer having a keyboard for all of their input and others don't need one, thus; a rudimentary keyboard on the touch screen is good enough.

The track record of Microsoft and making hardware this complicated isn't good. They have learned lessons from their mistakes of the past. The Surface might actually work as advertised.

Woz is a tech junkie and he really should create a tech review site. He could become the most relevant reviewer almost instantly. As a guy who can actually understand and even build a high tech device he would have instant credibility.

I'm sure Woz could totally destroy the Surface if he gave it a bad review.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Wozniak on Microsoft Surface: 'Steve Jobs came back reincarnated at Microsoft'