Originally Posted by Gazoobee
Other than dating Kathy Griffiths he hasn't done anything of note for at least 30 years, so he's pretty much open to any and all job offers.
That's why he's in the news a lot. He's just another minor celebrity who never turns down a free lunch or a speaking engagement and will allow himself to be interviewed for anything from a high school newspaper to the National news. Sad really, and this latest pronouncement just makes him look like an old fool. He's naive enough to not even notice when others are using him to their own ends also.
Both Wozniak and Jobs started out working their asses off in that garage, Steve was still working right up to the day he died, whereas Wozniak hasn't done anything at all with the rest of his life. It escapes me why he is idolised so much.
Actually Woz has done quite a bit:
1) Technology: In the mid 1980s he developed the CL-9 programmable universal remote control:
This was a pocket computer way ahead of its time. It consisted of an Apple //c, RAM, ROM, LCD Display, KB, an OS, Timers, amplified IR, modem... You could attach it to a Mac to program it. It was also programmable through its KB or could learn [other remotes] through IR. It was thinner and weighed less than the early iPods which came 16 years later.
2) Family: He gifted each of his family members with multiple millions of dollars -- making each independently wealthy.
3) Humanitarian: He supports the local Opera and Ballet.
4) Education: Various contributions and participation (time and money) in k-12 education.
5) Charity: Librally supports various charities.
6) Music/Entertainment: Financed and provided personal backing to two US Festivals.
Through all of this, Woz has remained down to earth, approachable and helpful... Woz never knew a stranger.
When my story is written, I would be proud to have accomplished 1/10 of what Woz has done!
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 7/9/12 at 3:29pm