or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple share of Russian smartphone revenue slips as Samsung's doubles

Apple share of Russian smartphone revenue slips as Samsung's doubles - Page 2

post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Once again, these international comparisons are meaningless.
First, the US number does not include sales tax. The Netherlands and Ukraine numbers include VAT. That alone makes up more than half of the pre-tax difference.
There are also different costs in operating in different countries. Minimum wage for retail employees is higher in most of the world. Employees get more vacation time. Apple must offer longer warranties in much of Europe. There are also other costs of doing business in European and former Soviet countries.
In the end, if you want a $150 phone, it's not going to be an iPhone, at least not anything of recent vintage.

Apple does not offer longer warranties in Europe.

And I would be extremely surprised if Apple employee wages in Eastern Europe would be higher than in US.

post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Exactly! And Apple already has that plan in place.

And what would that be?

post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

And what would that be?

And in a few more months, they'll have an even more powerful version there, compatible with all four major US telecoms (and everything else everywhere else, as well). Now we just sit back and wait for him to say this doesn't count.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #44 of 46

Hmm, by the way, do you think this might be a swansong year for 3GS so iPhone 4 8GB can replace it with an identical call package next year?

post #45 of 46

With the iPhone 5 will in it's way, going around looking for a new iPhone is kind of impractical. They are probably saving up... I always thought Russians were rich. I guess this was a kind of waker-upper.

post #46 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by imbrucewayne View Post

I always thought Russians were rich. I guess this was a kind of waker-upper.

Overall Russians are not rich, however there's a huge disparity between poor and rich there and there are really a lot of rich people there.

Also only rich Russians gets exposure in the West, as mostly only they are travelling abroad.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple share of Russian smartphone revenue slips as Samsung's doubles