or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Ballmer says Microsoft plans to compete with Apple in every market

Steve Ballmer says Microsoft plans to compete with Apple in every market

post #1 of 132
Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer has said in a new interview that his company is "not going to leave any stone unturned" in competing against Apple.

Ballmer said Microsoft intends to make it "absolutely clear" that the company plans to compete in any market against Apple, according to CRN. He said Microsoft plans to "innovate everywhere" and bring its partners along for the ride.

The Microsoft CEO said he believes his company has advantages over the market in productivity, enterprise management and manageability. He said he doesn't see any market where Microsoft will let Apple go uncontested.

"Not the consumer cloud. Not hardware-software innovation. We are not leaving any of that to Apple by itself," Ballmer said. "Not going to happen. Not on our watch."

The interview comes soon after Microsoft unveiled its new Surface tablets, with hardware that the company designed itself. Microsoft's creation of both the hardware and software for Surface is a major transition for the company and gives it an approach similar to Apple.

Ballmer

Apple and Microsoft will not only face off in the tablet market this fall after the launch of Surface, but both companies are also launching next-generation versions of their mobile and traditional PC operating systems. Apple is set to launch Mountain Lion this month while Windows 8 will debut in October, and Apple will release iOS 6 this fall around the same time as Microsoft's Windows Phone 8.

The two companies also compete in the set-top box market, where Microsoft's Xbox 360 offers video and music content in addition to games, while the Apple TV features Apple's iTunes content and can stream games and other material to an HDTV.
post #2 of 132

Oh boy.

post #3 of 132

Oh Ballmer, haven't you suffered enough?!  

I never knew Balmer was a Sadomasochist who loved pain and suffering or misery wrought on others!

/

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #4 of 132

Fatboy's obsessed.

post #5 of 132
Nothing he ever says seems to be the right thing.
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/10/12 at 1:32pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #6 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"... Not the consumer cloud. Not hardware-software innovation.  We are not leaving any of that to Apple by itself," Ballmer said. "Not going to happen. Not on our watch."...

It's been pointed out elsewhere already, but this is exactly what has already happened "on his watch."  

post #7 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Oh boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Nothing he ever says seems to the right thing.

Was that on purpose, because it's funnier if it was.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #8 of 132

I'm sure tomorrow someone from PR will fix what he said now. lol

post #9 of 132

"I'm sorry, we will try to copy Apple in every market and fail miserably." -Steve Ballmer

post #10 of 132
Steve jobs had such a low opinion of this clown. He has been competing all
Along and now how wakes up to it. The surface will be another sink hole.
post #11 of 132

OK, so now we know if they hope to compete with Apple at some point, and I guess it's just a question of when, right?

post #12 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Was that on purpose, because it's funnier if it was.

Nope. I forgot a word.
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/10/12 at 1:53pm

post #13 of 132

When you roll up the sleeves of a buttoned down Brooks Brothers shirt you are automatically conflicted.

I can just see the new commercials.

"Hello, I'm an iPad."

"Hello I'm an iPad wanna be."

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #14 of 132

...so I guess that whole possum strategy by Microsoft isn't working out so well.

post #15 of 132

Bring it on Monkey Boy.

post #16 of 132

[quote]He said Microsoft plans to "innovate everywhere"[/quote]

That's not really innovation at all, which really confirms what is obvious about Balmer. He doesn't understand innovation at all.

In fact, the entire statement just screams "we're going to follow Apple everywhere and stifle their innovation wherever we can".  He really is a monkey.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #17 of 132
WAIT! I've got an idea!!!
post #18 of 132

"not on our watch" if this refers to his tenure at the helm, then it won't be much longer that he'll be competing in every segment that Apple is in. 

Based on his performance, he can't be much longer at microsoft.

post #19 of 132
ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL ,ROFLOL ,ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL ,ROFLOL ,ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL ,ROFLOL ,ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL ,ROFLOL ,ROFLOL,
post #20 of 132

Late to the party and brings Boone's Farm. Sometimes it's better to be one of the cool kids.

A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #21 of 132

I don't see this being so bad, maybe theyll make a TV and it'll be like an xbox. They sell it for a loss.

Then I can buy TVs for people for christmas. Just gotta leave before they try to turn it on.

post #22 of 132
I so much regret that AI started to include the articles' picture in the forum. I mean, those eyes!
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #23 of 132

They have very carefully covered over his sweat drenched armpits. 

post #24 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

"not on our watch" if this refers to his tenure at the helm, then it won't be much longer that he'll be competing in every segment that Apple is in. 
Based on his performance, he can't be much longer at microsoft.

I sure hope you're wrong! I love SB as a competitor!
post #25 of 132
There will soon be an ad in the Redmond newspaper. Ballmer's lost his mind. Reward for its safe return.
post #26 of 132

Monkeydude!  A good place to start would be to find a futuristic staircase to pose in front of.  Maybe with *steps of glass* or how about *transparent, and in the form of a helix*.

But ... where the heck ya gonna find one of those?

It's almost enough to inspire compassion for the MDude.

Almost.

post #27 of 132

Good luck monkey boy.

post #28 of 132
While the statement might be funny... I'd say a big +1 for Steve. He's lost a lot of weight and looks much healthier.
post #29 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Steve Balldy says a lot of things ....
But look, Mi¢ro$oft has a bottomless well of cash, so they can make this absolutely-doomed-to-fail
product attempts just to show the shareholders that at least they're trying.
Absolutely ...

This seems like the USSR v. USA -- The Soviets tried to keep up with everything the US did, all the while espousing that their philosophy was superior, and in the end brought down the entire country. And along the way, despite propaganda that they had everything the US had, clearly human rights and prosperity were among it's chief failures, even if they kept up with or exceeded the US in other areas.
post #30 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

[quote]He said Microsoft plans to "innovate everywhere"[/quote]

That's not really innovation at all, which really confirms what is obvious about Balmer. He doesn't understand innovation at all.

In fact, the entire statement just screams "we're going to follow Apple everywhere and stifle their innovation wherever we can".  He really is a monkey.

I agree, but in his defence, the word "innovation is widely mis-used by the tech press. 

For instance you can't rightly say (as is said all the time, day in and day out), that you are "going to innovate" (something).  Innovation is something that can only be detected in retrospect or by comparison.  It's not like you can sit down at a bench and say, "okay, let's innovate!"  It's categorically impossible.  

post #31 of 132

You don't play chess by positioning your pieces on the board. You play by positioning your opponent's pieces. And that has already been done. By Apple.

post #32 of 132

He said Microsoft plans to "innovate everywhere" and bring its partners along for the ride.

His partners are hitching their wagons to another horse!

post #33 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ballmer

Aside from the idiocy of his statements, I have to wonder what's wrong with their PR and marketing people. They have umpteen bazillion dollars and Ballmer has plenty of money of his own. Yet they couldn't come up with a picture that looks better than a drivers' license photo?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #34 of 132
What a fracking admission of failure eh?

When will he face the facts? Windows was the Apple OS ripped off (literally) and Office was conceived and commissioned for Mac by Steve Jobs from Microsoft. Let me see what have they got going for them except Windows and Office ....??

They have never ever innovated. Microsoft will join Kodak and many others within ten years.
Edited by digitalclips - 7/10/12 at 2:02pm
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #35 of 132

Too bad after his statement, they didn't ask, "How about the personal music player market?"

post #36 of 132

Do you think he meant Microsoft will begin producing desktop and laptop computers? How can he say this and also mention working with their partners? He might as well walk up to his partners and say "We are going to gradually do all we can to undercut your business, but; we'll be glad to continue selling our software to you because we are very proud to be your partner." How soon until they get together and drop Microsoft? Will it be the Asian companies that do it first or will HP or Dell step up to the challenge?

post #37 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

While the statement might be funny... I'd say a big +1 for Steve. He's lost a lot of weight and looks much healthier.

Fear can lead to weight loss you know./ chuckle
post #38 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL ,ROFLOL ,ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL ,ROFLOL ,ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL ,ROFLOL ,ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL ,ROFLOL ,ROFLOL,

Damn it you took the words right out of my mouth ....
post #39 of 132

Original quote... "Ballmer said Microsoft intends to make it "absolutely clear" that the company plans to compete in any market against Apple, according to CRN. He said Microsoft plans to "innovate everywhere" and bring its partners along for the ride."

Considering the recent Surface** announcement debacle, I interpret it more like... "take its partners for a ride."

** After the 1st quarter sales shipped figures, probably renamed "Surplus".

post #40 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

The picture was probably Photoshopped. lol.gif

If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Ballmer says Microsoft plans to compete with Apple in every market