or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Next-gen iPhone, 'iPad mini' engineering samples pictured

Rumor: Next-gen iPhone, 'iPad mini' engineering samples pictured

post #1 of 60
A pair of reports on Tuesday allege to show an "engineering samples" of Apple's rumored next-generation iPhone and smaller 7-inch iPad, the latter being one of the first mock-ups to hit the web.

In two back-to-back reports, website Gotta Be Mobile claims to have procured what it calls engineering samples of Apple's upcoming iPhone and iPad mini from a "trusted" supply chain source, though the models bear a striking resemblance to molds used by case manufacturers for prototyping.

It should be noted that because the shots have not been verified and the site's provenance is unknown, the photos are presented here for discussion purposes only as AppleInsider cannot vouch for their validity. While the models below are plausible designs they could merely be mockups or prototypes not meant for market. This was shown to be the case in a report from 2011 which revealed the gamble case makers took, and lost, in manufacturing so-called "teardrop design" products based on purportedly leaked 3D models of what would become the iPhone 4S.

While the next-generation iPhone engineering model seems to be in line with the spate of recent parts leaks (1, 2, 3) as well as a complete rendering and comparison video. The device looks to sport the rumored 4-inch screen, rear camera layout and "uni-body" chassis and not much new information can be gleaned from the sample.

iPhone 5
Purported next-gen iPhone engineering sample. | Source: Gotta Be Mobile

iPhone 5

The alleged iPad mini sample photos, on the other hand, are of particular interest as the orange model is one of the first known physical representations of what the device may look like at launch. If the sample is correct, it seems that Apple will be extending the use of a new, smaller dock connector to the 7-inch iPad that has been widely rumored to be making its debut on the sixth-generation iPhone.

Another change from the current iPad is speaker placement which has apparently been moved toward the center of the device to possibly avoid coverage when holding the unit in landscape mode.

iPad mini
Screen size comparison of purported iPad mini with third-generation iPad.

The plastic "early design sample" bears a striking resemblance to the current full-size iPad and goes against recent reports that the device would take its design cues from Apple's current iPod lineup. Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn is also rumored to be prepping its Brazil factory to build the smaller iPad with production said to start in September.

iPad mini Dock Connector
Bottom of sample looks to hold a smaller, 19-pin dock connector.

While the face of the alleged iPad mini sample is as expected, a side shot of the model's thickness reveals that the production unit could be significantly thinner than the third-generation iPad. A cleaner view of the speaker and dock orientation can also be seen below.

iPad mini with iPad
Side-by-side comparison of unit thickness.

Apple is expected to announce a follow-up to the Siri-toting iPhone 4S as early as September and rumors point to an iPad mini launch sometime before the holiday season.
post #2 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPad mini

This picture suggests to me that if the dimensions for the panel (1024x768 @ 7.85"), are correct, then the bezels on the side of the mini must be narrower than the current iPad.  

Edited by Gazoobee - 7/10/12 at 2:41pm
post #3 of 60

Dimensions look right, but the workmanship, even for a mock-up looks too "basement" to me.

post #4 of 60
I certainly hope not.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #5 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This picture suggests to me that if the dimensions for the panel (1024x768 @ 7.85"), are correct, then the bezels on the side of the mini must be narrower than the current iPad.  

The shape looks to be using a 16:9 aspect ratio and not the 4:3 or the 7.85" size. If it's 16:9 or 3:2 I would say it's an iPod model, but if it's 4:3 it'll be an iPad model.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #6 of 60
Before anyone freaks out about this new iPhone being too tall.... the current iPhone is 11.5cm

This one look to be about 1cm taller.
post #7 of 60

If top and bottom bezel stay as wide I am not upgrading.

C'mon Apple, time to get rid of the home button.

post #8 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

NO WAY!!!

post #9 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The shape looks to be using a 16:9 aspect ratio and not the 4:3 or the 7.85" size. If it's 16:9 or 3:2 I would say it's an iPod model, but if it's 4:3 it'll be an iPad model.

If the normal 3/4" bezels on the iPad were shaved down by a quarter inch on the sides (so 3/4" on top and bottom and 1/2" on the sides), then the panel in this mockup would be within a few millimetres of being the exact right size for a 1024x768, 7.85" panel in the middle.  

post #10 of 60

FAKE !!

I can make better, "engineering samples"

seriously !

With some balsa wood and a whittling knife.

....jeez

post #11 of 60
Those photos are d!g sh!t stop wasting readers time with these stupid
A reliable source' stories
post #12 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

FAKE !!

I can make better, "engineering samples"

seriously !

With some balsa wood and a whittling knife.

....jeez

The iPad mini looks like a standard 3D model printer output. It is probably very precise but the color makes it look bad on screen.

Perhaps ABSi from www.solidconcepts.com/

I really think we are getting the real deal now.

Edited by mstone - 7/10/12 at 3:46pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #13 of 60

I think it would be very odd for Apple to have a thinner bezel on the sides than the top and bottom, and, on that notion, doubt the validity of the purported iPad mini shots.

Still, I like the look of the edges: the speaker grills are nice and the taper is perfect.

post #14 of 60
Quote:

If top and bottom bezel stay as wide I am not upgrading.

Let's see how getting rid of the "Start" button works for Microsoft before befuddling the public.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #15 of 60
Quote:

I hope so. The home button is the one thing I really hate about the iPhone/iPad.

post #16 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I hope so. The home button is the one thing I really hate about the iPhone/iPad.

You're kidding right?  The Home Button is one of the main features (possibly *the* central feature), of the UI. 

iOS itself wouldn't work without it and would need significant re-tooling/redesign etc. 

post #17 of 60
Quote:

iOS itself wouldn't work without it and would need significant re-tooling/redesign etc. 

That's what he means. He wants a redesign. Because it's getting 'stale'.

post #18 of 60
Quote:

You're kidding right?  The Home Button is one of the main features (possibly *the* central feature), of the UI. 

I don't like the actual button as I think it spoils the aesthetics of the device and I always catch my thumb on it when I'm using the device in landscape mode.

I would prefer either a capacitive home button or at the very least a button that was flush with the bezel so you don't notice it placed on the long side rather than the short side so you can play games in landscape mode without catching the button.

post #19 of 60
Quote:

I don't like the actual button as I think it spoils the aesthetics of the device and I always catch my thumb on it when I'm using the device in landscape mode.

Then you have a manufacturing error.

post #20 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I really think we are getting the real deal now.

I don't know if it's real or not, but what makes you say that? Anybody can order a 3d model from one of those places, can't they?

post #21 of 60

I'm also glad that the people who want to get rid of the home button are not in charge of anything at Apple. These people should go and buy an Android tablet.

post #22 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm also glad that the people who want to get rid of the home button are not in charge of anything at Apple. These people should go and buy an Android tablet.

Agreed. On a friends Android, im always slightly brushing the capacitive home button effectively kicking me out of the app i was in. It couldn't be more annoying.  It is also harder to just find by feel. At least the button you can feel and have to press.

post #23 of 60

I think 16:9 is the perfect ratio for a 7 inch tablet but it's terrible for a 10 inch tablet. 

post #24 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The perspective makes you believe it's 16:9 aspect ratio, but so it seems is the iPad. By comparing the two we should deduct it's rather a 4:3 ratio

post #25 of 60
After Tim Cook's comments about secrecy I can't help thinking that Apple is leaking this BS cause they know folks will fall for it. And not look for real info

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #26 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

After Tim Cook's comments about secrecy I can't help thinking that Apple is leaking this BS cause they know folks will fall for it. And not look for real info

Apple leaking this BS, they don't need to, many tech blogs will do it for them just to get hits from fanbois and iHaters.
post #27 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't know if it's real or not, but what makes you say that? Anybody can order a 3d model from one of those places, can't they?

I don't know if it is real or not but I do know it would take a few thousand dollars worth of SolidWorks design and 3D printing to create that. If it is a fake it is a pretty expensive hoax.

post #28 of 60

That iPad mini is gonna be sweeeet.  Perfect size.

post #29 of 60
I actually buy it.

Not this crap. Not this DigiTimes-level stuff.

I buy that there'll be a smaller iPad.

I maintain that I think it's a completely idiotic decision. I maintain that I see no benefit to it whatsoever. I also think it may be shortly discontinued and Cook and Co. thoroughly (and quite overly, though not incorrectly) blamed for a "bad choice".

post #30 of 60
I would buy iPad mini or whatever they wanna call it at launch day if they do sell it, in addition to iPad 3 I already have for use as a bedside tablet. Continuing on the news, anybody can make engineering samples. Case manufacturer for one would like to find out, for the iPad mini for example.
post #31 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

I would buy iPad mini or whatever they wanna call it at launch day if they do sell it, in addition to iPad 3 I already have for use as a bedside tablet. Continuing on the news, anybody can make engineering samples. Case manufacturer for one would like to find out, for the iPad mini for example.

Yep, I'm sitting on the patio after dinner reading this and typing on my iPad 3 (the weather is a delightful 75° F no degree symbol on iPad by the way copy and paste from Wikipedia ) but tomorrow when I'm off to the office on mass transit I would totally dig a mini. iPhone is just too small except for emergency info or just checking email or txt messages. I'm a buyer on day 1 also.

post #32 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

Apple leaking this BS, they don't need to, many tech blogs will do it for them just to get hits from fanbois and iHaters.

okay perhaps not leaking per se but avoiding anything that might negate the rumors, like details in the iOS 6 betas. 

post #33 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I buy that there'll be a smaller iPad.

I don't. in part because of Steve so strongly saying it would be a bad move. 

now would I be shocked to see a 5-6 inch revamped iPod Touch. nope. I would not

post #34 of 60
Quote:

Quote:

Then you have a manufacturing error.

Manufacturing error of the thumb, at that.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #35 of 60
Quote:

He's dead. I don't subscribe to the belief that that immediately invalidates everything he did or said, but some do. I will never understand that, nor will I accept it, because it is a sad and naïve belief, but some do. And who does subscribe to that is the only thing that matters.
Quote:
now would I be shocked to see a 5-6 inch revamped iPod Touch. nope. I would not

How is that a different scenario? I do see a larger iPhone and a matching iPod touch, but not of that size. I see the larger model encompassing, for Apple, what an even larger device would take into consideration.

post #36 of 60
Quote:

I think Steve was referring to the 7" 16:9 tablets that the other guys were selling. There are a bunch of reasons why they don't work: too narrow in portrait... not enough height in landscape... and I don't think Steve was the biggest fan of Android in general :-)

But the world has never seen a 7.85" 4:3 iPad running iOS. I believe it would be a nice product. All the benefits of an iPad... only smaller.

Apple already makes laptops in 11" 13" 15" and 17".... so they must understand the importance of different screen sizes. Hell.... Apple made the iPod Shuffle without a screen...

Did people complain when Apple introduced the 11" Air? I don't see how that is any different than making a slightly smaller iPad.

Does anyone think a 7.85" iPad will just sit on a shelf collecting dust? If it was priced at $299... it would be the hottest item this Christmas.

Build it Apple!!!

post #37 of 60

I've accidentally pressed the home button when playing a game in landscape mode, and while it is frustrating, imagine how bad it would be if it were an off-screen capacitive button!  One of the things I don't care about on the Android tablets is how a portion of the screen is dedicated to a band of touch buttons.  To me, I am giving up real estate on the screen in lieu of a physical button on the bezel.  I'd take the latter any day.

post #38 of 60
Quote:

How is that a different scenario? I do see a larger iPhone and a matching iPod touch, but not of that size. I see the larger model encompassing, for Apple, what an even larger device would take into consideration.

The question in my mind is how wide is the tablet going to be (from a portrait perspective). Will it fit into a jacket or coat pocket? This will require the side bezels to be very narrow and then the question becomes whether it can be held conveniently in one hand.

If it doesn't fit into a coat pocket then I don't see it being much more mobile than a full sized ipad and doesn't differentiate itself enough.

post #39 of 60
Quote:

The question in my mind is how wide is the tablet going to be (from a portrait perspective). Will it fit into a jacket or coat pocket? This will require the side bezels to be very narrow and then the question becomes whether it can be held conveniently in one hand.

If it doesn't fit into a coat pocket then I don't see it being much more mobile than a full sized ipad and doesn't differentiate itself enough.

Spot on. Holding the iPad mini in one hand will be as critical as making it fit into those inside jacket pockers

post #40 of 60
The only use I've ever seen anyone talk about for a smaller iPad is IN WINTER.

Unless Apple plans to expand their presence in Vladivostok, Alaska, and Amundsen-Scott…

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Next-gen iPhone, 'iPad mini' engineering samples pictured