or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple defends decision to withdraw from EPEAT certification

Apple defends decision to withdraw from EPEAT certification - Page 2

post #41 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

.... I am a pretty nice guy most of the time....

Like I said, nothing about you is humble. A statement like that should be opined by someone....besides yourself....for one to be considered "a pretty nice guy".

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #42 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

Not so fast.

It is absolutely not acceptable, in a world with finite resources, for a company to settle on a business model where they make products that are disposable that cannot be economically recycled. Apple sells tens of millions of devices, so they would be throwing away tens of millions of pounds of aluminum, and many other metals, creating a steady demand for more mineral mining. These days, when the easy mines are all gone, mining is nearly in all cases open pit and low grade ores are processed. This requires huge quantities of water and energy while obliterating habitat wherever it is done.

This point is not the same as iFixit. They demand repairability. I say it's a nice to have, but the showstopper is recyclability. I see no evidence from Apple that the retina MacBook Pro can be economically recycled. Apple says it recycles and "responsibly disposes", but these are two very different things.

The new MacBook Pro has nothing except extremely vague marketing speak.

Not so fast... you show me proof that that Apple is contributing to millions of pounds of aluminum being thrown away.  Until you have bonafide proof, you are simply blowing smoke in everyone's faces, hoping no one sees what you're trying to hide.  Apple has the best record for recycling their products.  Don't even try to spin the story to something that it isn't.  I mean honestly, if you're going to spread misinformation, at least make a decent effort to sound credible!

iFixit's opinion and low rating of the new rMBP is just a childish rant from a company that makes its living selling repair tools and trying to get page-hits by showing visitors what's inside shiny, new products.  They are seeing their revenue stream dry up if Apple makes it difficult for them to stay in business.

Apple has the highest rating in terms of service, product reliability, and customer service.  Most people will NEVER upgrade their RAM, hard drive, or battery when they purchase a notebook.  Apple knows this, and they have taken the next evolutionary step of designing their products with that in mind.  Solder the ram so the connections are more reliable.  Replace hard drives with SSD drives, maybe even solder the NAND chips on the board for extra reliability too.  Glue the battery in so that that it becomes more of a rigid structure for the entire chassis, making it more durable.  It makes perfect sense to me.

To even imply the new Macbook Pro cannot be recyclable because some monkey can't use a flat spatula to peel the battery from the adhesive is sheer BS.

post #43 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why are all your replies so politically charged? Apparently you are oblivious to the world around you. Everything you write seems to be centered on your extreme self righteousness. You remind me of a NY banker walking down the street who tells a disabled beggar to get a job instead of donating a quarter.
I just IM'd Instant Karma he's coming to get you.

Oh, you didn't know? He posts stuff like that all the time.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #44 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/151205/apple-defends-decision-to-withdraw-from-epeat-certification/40#post_2144560"]I am referring to real life of course, not the fake online world.

There is nothing fake about only using words to express yourself. One could easily argue that it's the purest form of unbiased communication.

What you express on the internet where there is no repercussions like in the "real world" is your true self, not the one you show to people who you are afraid of, who you depend on, who you can't ever hide from by simply changing a username or email address.

You were a blank canvas to us all. There was no way we can judge you on your gender, height, skin color, looks, hairstyle, manner and quality of dress, or any number of things that lead to innate first impressions that we can't help to have as human beings.

You had your words. Your thoughts. Your wisdom. Your ignorance. Everything that should truly matter. You had the opportunity to express in an unbiased medium just as many great philosophers, poets, politicos, et al. have done in the past.
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/10/12 at 10:41pm

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #45 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What you express on the internet where there is no repercussions like in the "real world" is your true self, not the one you show to people who you are afraid of, who you depend on, who you can't ever hide from by simply changing a username or email address.

Of course it is, I don't disagree with you. I stand by my comments and opinions that I make. And so should everybody else.

post #46 of 133
Quote:
[" url="/t/151205/apple-defends-decision-to-withdraw-from-epeat-certification/40#post_2144568"]Of course it is, I don't disagree with you. I stand by my comments and opinions that I make. And so should everybody else.

I do appreciate your conviction but I don't appreciate that it's so focused on blind nationalism, elitism, and a multi-tiered bigoted attitude toward anything and anyone different from you. One day I hope you realize just how much in this world depends on luck.

post #47 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh, you didn't know? He posts stuff like that all the time.

He knows, and so do the other people who whine about anything that I've written. 

What I don't understand is why they just don't put me on ignore. I am who I am, and I'm not going to change. So their best bet would be to put me on ignore and they wouldn't have to get outraged by anything that I write ever again. It seems to me that certain people like to get "outraged".

post #48 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

iFixit's opinion and low rating of the new rMBP is just a childish rant from a company that makes its living selling repair tools and trying to get page-hits by showing visitors what's inside shiny, new products.  They are seeing their revenue stream dry up if Apple makes it difficult for them to stay in business.

Their CEO seemed to make some childish comments but I can't disparage iFixit for giving it a low rating on repairability. That is what they were judging right?

What I don't want to see is people using that metric to claim that it's also not recyclable or that "Apple does care about Mac people" (insert Kanye West meme).
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/10/12 at 10:39pm

post #49 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

http://www.apple.com/recycling/
I'm taking my old iMac to my neighborhood Apple Store for recycling..They're giving me a $163 gift card for my troubles.

You could also put it to good use and donate it to a local charity for a tax deduction.

post #50 of 133
Quote:
[" url="/t/151205/apple-defends-decision-to-withdraw-from-epeat-certification#post_2144521"]
You should never give any money to beggars. It's also illegal to do so in certain places. I don't give a dime to any beggars ever, no matter what.

Now, you can be really proud of yourself!
post #51 of 133
Quote:

It has nothing to do with politics. I've followed Apple for a long time, and I bet that most people never thought that they'd ever release a machine that was that cheap.

I can understand people saying that $4,000 - $5,000 is not too affordable, but $599 does not fall into that category. I don't want Apple's products to get too cheap, because then they're going to start skimping on features and quality, like everybody else does. If somebody can't afford a Mac, then too bad, either start saving up, or buy some bottom of the barrel PC. You get what you pay for.

There's nothing wrong with you refuting the expense of a Mac Mini. But this: " If somebody can't afford that, then maybe they should work a little harder" was self-opinionated, arrogant, elitist, ignorant and simply unnecessary - qualities that seem to be inherent to many of your posts, from what I've seen.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #52 of 133
Quote:

I can't located the article anymore, but here in San Francisco there was a homeless man arrested years ago for sleeping on Market Street and refusing to leave.  To the surprise of the police officers, the homeless man refused to leave because he didn't want to leave his brand-new Harley Davidson motorcycle unattended.  After a lengthy discussion with the homeless man to determine how he has come to own what was a very expensive motorcycle, it turns out the prolific panhandler saved all of the money he collected on the streets over the years to purchase the motorcycle.

He didn't use the money to better himself, get off the streets, etc... he used the money given to him by the generosity of other people (under false pretense) to buy a luxury item he never should have purchased.  Instead, my city (and my taxes) continued to provide support him and his lifestyle.

After reading that article, I decided to not give any more money to homeless folks, and I don't regret it at all.  Like everything else, leave it to the 1% to ruin it for everyone else.

If I have formed my opinion, regarding US citizens based on the 1% who ruins it for everyone else, would you accept it as the right opinion?
post #53 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You mean there's more to environmental responsibility than how easy it is for a Neanderthal with a screwdriver to disassemble an old laptop for recycling? No. That's the only measure of environmental responsibility. Let's hate Apple.

Don't hate Neanderthals. ;)

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

post #54 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

This statement by Apple is just PR spin. It provides no inisight and only indicates that Apple feels its already doing enough.
But the sheep won't care.
I hope the education market takes note of this change and further abandons Apple.

Every SINGLE one of your 27 posts on this forum is Apple bashing, so I don't think anyone here gives a shit about what you consider insightful or not, as you're clealry not someone who cares a smidgeon about objectivity. You're a troll, a pathetic one at that, and it's sad that you blanket everyone here for being 'sheep', while you think you're some kind of original, independent thinker with your Apple hating. It's not original, it's not new, and it reflects extremely badly on you, since you choose to spend your time spewing vitriol about a company on a fansite. There's many things/companies I dislike, but not once have I made the effort to go on fansites of said companies solely for the reason of trolling, and I can't think of a more useless way to spend one's time. 

post #55 of 133
Quote:

This statement by Apple is just PR spin. It provides no inisight and only indicates that Apple feels its already doing enough.
I hope the education market takes note of this change and further abandons Apple.

On the contrary, Apple are doing more and hopefully the standards will be expanded.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #56 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazol View Post

If I have formed my opinion, regarding US citizens based on the 1% who ruins it for everyone else, would you accept it as the right opinion?

Sadly, this is the prevailing attitude in the US- It's someone else's fault... I got mine, why didn't you get yours... You must be lazy etc. imo alot of this tribal thinking is based on anecdotal news reports or Internet email chains that are out right false or at a minimum do not reflect the complete or overall reality (whether liberal or conservative points of view). Sigh. When it comes to politics(I suppose this is true in most places) objective critical fact finding, thinking, analysis is pretty piss poor.

Back to our story... Yes Apple says they do a lot for the environment... How that truly compares to what others...say dell or Samsung does, I do not know. Don't a lot of these company's use Foxconn? Does Foxconn have a supposedly environmentally friendly factory for Apple, then dump toxic crap for the others? Apple did say they forced changes in manufacturing processes. How good is Apples recycleability compared to others? Hmmmm. Need more fact finding, critical analysis etc. 1smile.gif
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #57 of 133
Quote:

The point I was attempting to make which has obviously fallen on deaf ears in your case is that you can't go around telling people to work harder or to do this or never do this with their money. That is self righteous BS. You are completely over the line in almost every one of your comments in terms of judging other people and ridiculing those less fortunate. You exemplify everything I dispise in human nature and with respect to your post history it doesn't matter how pro-Apple you are, I still find you an obnoxious, dspicable human and I may be giving you too much credit in that last classification.

Hmm, it seems to me he is just honest and clear.

You may not like his opinion and may not like it that he is honest and clear but that doesn't make it right - in my opinion - to attack him as a person like you do.

J.

post #58 of 133
Quote:

You can engage an ambulance chasing lawyer to take Apple to court to make them tell the truth since you said it is PR spin.

post #59 of 133
Quote:

Why are all your replies so politically charged? Apparently you are oblivious to the world around you. Everything you write seems to be centered on your extreme self righteousness. You remind me of a NY banker walking down the street who tells a disabled beggar to get a job instead of donating a quarter.
I just IM'd Instant Karma he's coming to get you.

It would be better for the beggar to get a job because it will feed him forever but a quarter (can a quarter get a meal nowadays?) will feed him once.

Calm down, this is a forum to express his or her opinion. We may agree or disagree but at the end of the day we'll do what is best for ourself, our family and society.

Yes sheep like me will buy Apple products why, like someone said I have no opinion, but I like well designed products that just work.

post #60 of 133

That is apple's preference to do what they want.

post #61 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

And the true believers will swallow this statement from Apple's PR department. Hook, line, and sinker.

How exactly is this JUST a PR statement when their website actually contains everything they've mentioned and has for a long time now? Furthermore, it was Apple's decision to remove their products, not the governments, so it's fair to say that Apple's statements are more than likely TRUE. And this has nothing to do with being a fan, iSheep or whatever anyone else wants to call it, it has to do with integrity. Apple has done nothing to show that they aren't being sincere. While most companies that scored high on Greenpeace's list gave nothing more than lip service, Apple has been extremely transparent in what they've actually done environmentally. 

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #62 of 133
Quote:

It is absolutely not acceptable, in a world with finite resources, for a company to settle on a business model where they make products that are disposable that cannot be economically recycled.

What are you talking about? Because Apple glued batteries to the inside of a case the computer it is no longer "economically recyclable"? Do you know how difficult it is to recycle batteries from Apple's current laptops? Those neat little bricks that easily pop in and out of laptops have to be BROKEN apart to remove the batteries from their enclosures. How exactly is this any easier or economical than scraping the battery from the inside of a case?

post #63 of 133
Quote:

A Mac Mini is $599, that's dirt cheap. If somebody can't afford that, then maybe they should work a little harder. 

For some reason Apple fans, especially on these forums it seems, can be some of the nastiest and most venomous people on the internet. (and that's saying something)

Many people have multiple jobs and struggle to feed their children while paying for ever rising food and fuel costs. They can barely afford clothes for their kids, let alone expensive Apple computers. 

Now grow up and stop spouting such infantile sewage.

post #64 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

For some reason Apple fans, especially on these forums it seems, can be some of the nastiest and most venomous people on the internet. (and that's saying something)

Many people have multiple jobs and struggle to feed their children while paying for ever rising food and fuel costs. They can barely afford clothes for their kids, let alone expensive Apple computers. 

Now grow up and stop spouting such infantile sewage.

what an ignorant, useless comment.

what does that have to do with him being an apple fan? your comment shows nothing more than stupid stereotyping and should be seen as sh*t.

the way he sees the world has nothing to do with apple, microsoft or google (unless he defends the copycats and stealing/hypocrisy). But your comment is proof that we can define people when they come to companyX fan site to bash it and it's posters.

post #65 of 133
Quote:

Then please, enlighten me on how they are doing worse than any of the alternatives to Apple. Please tell me how HP, Dell, Samsung, Sony, ASUS, or anybody else is doing better than Apple when it comes to environmentally-friendly products, processes, and services. I'll enjoy watching the spin.

post #66 of 133
Quote:
[" url="/t/151205/apple-defends-decision-to-withdraw-from-epeat-certification#post_2144521"]
You should never give any money to beggars. It's also illegal to do so in certain places. I don't give a dime to any beggars ever, no matter what.

I would have expected that your reaction would be civil disobedience, you're letting government tell you what to do with your money.
Quote:
[" url="/t/151205/apple-defends-decision-to-withdraw-from-epeat-certification#post_2144556"]My usage of that particular word was obviously intended in an ironic and humorous way. I know that I don't come across as humble on this forum, but in real life, I am a pretty nice guy most of the time, unless somebody is my foe.

To be honest, it seems like all the time around here. You strike me as a highly opinionated and likely hostile person.
post #67 of 133
Quote:

I hope that your circumstances in life never change to the point where you find yourself homeless - if you live somewhere populated with people who have the same attitude as you.... you will go cold and hungry.

A year or so ago I was chatting to a guy on a camera forum, and it turned out that guy was the singer Seal. He was talking about shelling out a large sum of money for a camera and was being criticized for it (by people who perhaps didn't know just how much money the man has in the bank lol.gif). He spoke about his take on spending the money, and pointed out in the conversation that when he was young he'd left home (due to a violent father, I think) and had need to live rough on the streets. 

He then got a lucky break. That's how he described his success. Based on someone reaching out to give a guy with nothing, a chance.

Addabox: "But, you know, if you have to invoke a free OS on a free tablet on a free internet to "prove" that any possible Apple branded tablet would be a poor value, then knock yourself out."
Addabox: "But, you know, if you have to invoke a free OS on a free tablet on a free internet to "prove" that any possible Apple branded tablet would be a poor value, then knock yourself out."
post #68 of 133
Quote:

You know when you use words like "sheep" you make everything else you say irrelevant. Why don't you go troll somewhere else. I'm sure C|Net or Engadget would love to have you.
post #69 of 133
Quote:

I didn't see anything in the statement which  explained why they pulled out of EPEAT.  No reasons were given.

post #70 of 133

The MacMini compared to other Apple computers is affordable but I don't think we can say it's cheap. When there are lot of countries in Europe (we don't have to talk about China) where people earn around 600$ monthly even doctors... than its a lot of money. With taxes the MacMini is around 750$, 13" Macbook Pro starts at 1550$, Retina Macbook Pro starts at 3100$... We can say its really cheap if we talk about 5000$/month, but not with 600$/month.

So prices are relative.

post #71 of 133
Quote:

I disagree with you regarding recycling, but I agree with you here. $599 is cheap. Very cheap if you understand what it's buying. 

For $599, there are quad-core i7 machines with 8 gigs of RAM available.  The Mini is the most overpriced item in the the entire Mac lineup.

post #72 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

For $599, there are quad-core i7 machines with 8 gigs of RAM available.  The Mini is the most overpriced item in the the entire Mac lineup.

I thought you were above mindless trolling with directly-spoken lies, Zazzles.

You embarrass yourself and you embarrass all your past lives.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #73 of 133
Quote:

Not so fast... you show me proof that that Apple is contributing to millions of pounds of aluminum being thrown away. 

That would be crazy.  Apple sells the scrap aluminum at a profit.  My guess is that they also extract the gold and any other valuable materials.

It is profitable to recycle.  The town I used to live in used to receive a net income of over a million dollars a year from the company they contracted with to cart our recyclables away.  That was in addition to the savings they realized from not having to collect them with the trash and dispose of them in landfills.

post #74 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I thought you were above mindless trolling with directly-spoken lies, Zazzles.
You embarrass yourself and you embarrass all your past lives.

Please identify a single lie in what I said.  Or else retract your insult.

post #75 of 133

I can understand withdrawing future models from EPEAT certification, but why would Apple withdraw all of the computers that had already passed?  It seems like they're just shooting themselves in the foot for no real reason.  While they wouldn't be able to sell future models of their PC products, they could still make some money on what was already certified.

post #76 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Every SINGLE one of your 27 posts on this forum is Apple bashing, so I don't think anyone here gives a shit about what you consider insightful or not, as you're clealry not someone who cares a smidgeon about objectivity. You're a troll, a pathetic one at that, and it's sad that you blanket everyone here for being 'sheep', while you think you're some kind of original, independent thinker with your Apple hating. It's not original, it's not new, and it reflects extremely badly on you, since you choose to spend your time spewing vitriol about a company on a fansite. There's many things/companies I dislike, but not once have I made the effort to go on fansites of said companies solely for the reason of trolling, and I can't think of a more useless way to spend one's time. 

Totally agree with you about the general content of all the LizSanford posts. I checked them out as well and came to the same conclusion.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #77 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

I can understand withdrawing future models from EPEAT certification, but why would Apple withdraw all of the computers that had already passed?  It seems like they're just shooting themselves in the foot for no real reason.  While they wouldn't be able to sell future models of their PC products, they could still make some money on what was already certified.

My take is that it is a PR thing.  Apple said that their manufacturing processes will diverge from the EPEAT requirements in the future.  So instead of new products being non-certified, with drips and dribbles of bad publicity, they simply did it all at once.

post #78 of 133
Quote:

If the standards need to be updated, then Apple should propose they be updated.

For all we know, they did. And the EPEAT board said no, they feel the standards are fine. So Apple choose to withdraw.

Also, what about everyone else. Where are the demands to know every last detail about Dell, HP, Microsoft and whether they fit to any standards much less a particular one.
post #79 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

You could also put it to good use and donate it to a local charity for a tax deduction.

Depending on old it is, they won't take it. Either because it's not usable without added expense or it is so old there is a likelihood it won't sell. VHS tapes for example. My local library won't even take them because they don't get borrowed and Goodwill etc sees them collect dust for a year. And then both places just toss them in the trash.

In old and basically dead iMac is the same game. But Apple might see a little value in harvesting copper etc out of it to use in new machines.
post #80 of 133
I came here looking for 70-something insights into Apple's motivation for removing their existing products from EPEAT consideration. I found 50 comments about whether $599 is "cheap" or not. This is Engadget-grade shit, seriously.
Snarky Mac commentary, occasionally using bad words.
themacadvocate.com
Snarky Mac commentary, occasionally using bad words.
themacadvocate.com
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple defends decision to withdraw from EPEAT certification