or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google Nexus 7 parts estimated to cost $152

Google Nexus 7 parts estimated to cost $152

post #1 of 110
The parts that make up Google's new $199 Nexus 7 tablet have been estimated to cost $152, suggesting the company could eke out a small profit after development costs are accounted for.

IHS iSuppli published the results of its Google Nexus 7 teardown on Wednesday, and estimated that the bill of materials of the $199 8-gigabyte model is $151.75. When manufacturing expenses are added, the research firm believes the total cost is $159.25.

The bill of materials for the 16-gigabyte model, which sells for $249, is estimated to be $159.25, while manufacturing would bring the total cost up to $166.75. The bill of materials and manufacturing costs do not include other expenses, like research and development that lead to the creation of the Google Nexus 7.

Google's Android chief, Andy Rubin, admitted that Google's own profit margins for the device are extremely low. He said sales of the Google Nexus 7 through the Google Play store will provide "basically" no profit margins to the company.

Market watchers believe the Nexus 7 is more of a response to Amazon's Kindle Fire, also priced at $199, than Apple's iPad, which starts at $399 for the iPad 2. iSuppli estimates that the 8-gigabyte Kindle Fire has a current bill of manufacturing cost of $133.80, and with manufacturing costs Amazon $139.80 to produce.

iSuppli

Those costs are lower than estimates from last September, when the Kindle Fire was first unveiled. Though Amazon has been able to improve margins on its 7-inch touchscreen tablet over time, original estimates suggested the online retailer was losing as much as $50 per Kindle Fire sold, money the company presumably planned to offset with sales of Kindle books and other goods and content through its online storefront.

IHS believes the bill of materials from the Kindle Fire has fallen nearly $60 from the $191.65 it was estimated to cost when it first launched last November. iSuppli said Amazon has benefitted from "dramatic reductions in component pricing" that "provide a breather for Amazon in terms of the subsidy it initially paid."

"The (Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire) platforms are similar in many regards, including the use of the 7-inch display, the eschewing of 4G wireless connections in favor of Wi-Fi, support for virtually identical battery lives and the same pricing for the entry-level models," said Andrew Rassweiler, senior director, teardown services for IHS. "However, the Nexus 7 has superior specifications to the Kindle Fire, giving it a more attractive feature set that may make it more desirable to consumers."
post #2 of 110

What lengths they will go just to own all your data...?

post #3 of 110

If these numbers are true, and assuming the Apple 7.85" (or is it 7"?) rumors are true, the 16GB mini-tablet will be priced at $249. Just to kill off these interlopers, and yet make a 'decent enough' profit.

After all, Apple could probably get the components even cheaper than Google or Amazon could, given the likely volumes.

But the iPod Touch would be done for, though... (unless they cut its price by $100, which is unlikely).

post #4 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If these numbers are true, and assuming the Apple 7.85" (or is it 7"?) rumors are true, the 16GB mini-tablet will be priced at $249. Just to kill off these interlopers, and yet make a 'decent enough' profit.

After all, Apple could probably get the components even cheaper than Google or Amazon could, given the likely volumes.

But the iPod Touch would be done for, though... (unless they cut its price by $100, which is unlikely).

I still wonder if the rumored small iPad is in fact the new larger iPod Touch and perhaps is a smaller iPad in reality. Priced to kill.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #5 of 110

I will be getting my Nexus 7 next week. 

post #6 of 110

Not sure Google's ever going to need to derive profit from hardware but it makes sense to at least have some margin. I wonder how much margin their Nexus Q will give them.

post #7 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherlockHerbert View Post

What lengths they will go just to own all your data...?

I wouldn't be naive enough to think that any other company is collecting your data, Google is just very forward about it, and in exchange, they serve you ads and you get free services. If you feel that you don't like that relationship, you can choose not to use their products. But keep in mind that certain things simply don't work if not collected from users, like real-time traffic data.

post #8 of 110

These tear-downs are bullshit. If parts and manufacturing cost $155 then the price to the end user would have to be between $300 to $450 before there was any hope of making a profit.

post #9 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I wouldn't be naive enough to think that any other company is collecting your data, Google is just very forward about it, and in exchange, they serve you ads and you get free services. If you feel that you don't like that relationship, you can choose not to use their products. But keep in mind that certain things simply don't work if not collected from users, like real-time traffic data.

Not all companies have the same ethics. Like people, some are worse than others.

post #10 of 110
Quote:

Not necessarily.

Apple could price the iPod touch, the iPad mini, and the iPad as follows:

iPod touch:  no more 8GB, 16GB - $199, 32GB - $299, 64GB - $399

iPad mini:                           8GB - $199, 16GB - $299, 32GB - $399

the new iPad:                                        16GB - $499, 32GB - $599, 64GB - $699

Going from the iPod touch to the iPad mini, you would get a bigger screen but less flash memory at the same price.  This is just hypothetical, of course.  But, Apple is likely to offer an iOS device all the way from $200 to $700 (without cellular).  This will make it difficult for anybody to compete. 

post #11 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The parts that make up Google's new $199 Nexus 7 tablet have been estimated to cost $152, suggesting the company could eke out a small profit after development costs are accounted for.
IHS iSuppli published the results of its Google Nexus 7 teardown on Wednesday, and estimated that the bill of materials of the $199 8-gigabyte model is $151.75. When manufacturing expenses are added, the research firm believes the total cost is $159.25.

Note that per their usual methodology, they are only including direct labor in their 'manufacturing costs'. They are not including:
- Packaging
- Shipping
- Quality control costs
- Rework and scrap
- R&D costs
- Support costs
- Legal costs
- Licensing costs (one report says that Microsoft alone gets $15 per Android device)
- Manufacturing overhead
- Corporate overhead allocated to manufacturing
- Advertising

That puts the cost at much, much higher than $159.

On top of that, if they are selling this through any distribution channel, the distributor is going to take a portion of the retail, so Google would not receive the full $199.

When you figure all the costs they didn't include plus the discount offered to retailers, it sounds like a break-even, at best. But even if you accept their figures and ignore all the additional costs and the retailer discounts, they're only at 20% GM - which is hardly a reasonable margin for what is being sold as a premium product.

Fail.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #12 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Not necessarily.

the new iPad:                                        16GB - $499, 32GB - $599, 64GB - $699

Going from the iPod touch to the iPad mini, you would get a bigger screen but less flash memory at the same price.  This is just hypothetical, of course.  But, Apple is likely to offer an iOS device all the way from $200 to $700 (without cellular).  This will make it difficult for anybody to compete. 

There's not a chance in he77 that Apple would price an iPad Mini at $199. That leaves no margin after the real costs are considered (see above) - and Apple is not interested in selling a device at cost.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #13 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

These tear-downs are bullshit.

They don't take into account R&D, shipping, advertising, or anything not directly involved with the physical device hardware they're holding in their hands.

They're also not meant to do that.
Quote:
If parts and manufacturing cost $155 then the price to the end user would have to be between $300 to $450 before there was any hope of making a profit.

1. Why, and
2. That's not the case.

Also,

3. Who says they're actually making a profit on the device or that they want to? lol.gif

Their profit comes from your information.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #14 of 110
Quote:

I wonder. The 7.85" 4:3 display is 40% larger than the 7" 16:9 display. It's not just the 40% display size but other things associated with a significantly larger display, like the battery.

That's without considering other aspects like display quality, build quality, environmentally safe components, increased costs for Apple's Foxconn workers over whatever facility Asus/Google are using. Economy of scale is surely in Apple's favour but that does have its limits.

On top of that there is the brand name to consider. If it's 4:3 I'd think they'd call it an iPad but if they go with 16:9 or 3:2 I think they'd call it an iPod. Psychologically if it's part of the iPod line they cut more corners than they could than with an iPad line at this point.

Would people pay $299 and $349 for an 8GB and 16GB iPad that is 40% larger than the current 7" tablet displays and offered Apple a healthy profit? Does Apple really care about maintain a tablet monopoly they way they did with the PMP and opposite of their hugely profitable PC market that they would sell a $199 tablet that is 40% larger than the other 7" tablets? I'm not so sure.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #15 of 110

From another thread that said there is no way Apple could make a $200 iPad mini who wanted to argue with me there is no profit (as if Apples buying power wouldn't be different than Google).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

And you figure that how? The Touch? That's a screen with less than 1/4 the area, smaller battery, smaller case. Even Google concedes they won't make any money on the Nexus 7" (their business is advertising), and we know Amazon loses money with every Fire they sell, on the theory that they will get it back with book sales. But Amazon never had the gross margins Apple consistently creates.

I still think it'll be more like $249 or $299, but to say there is no profit is now debunked.  Just saying....

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #16 of 110

Well I ordered one. The price looks like it can't be beat, and it will do Google Reader and web browsing just as well as any iPad or Windows 8 tablet.

post #17 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

I wonder how much margin their Nexus Q will give them.

Probably none whatsoever because 1) it's a stupid product by most standards and they probably won't sell many, and 2) It's made in America (Parts = $49, Manufacturing = $384) [No, these aren't actual figures, just tongue-in-cheek]. The ones they do sell, if any, will be at a loss. lol.gif

post #18 of 110
Quote:
 If you feel that you don't like that relationship, you can choose not to use their products. 

Do you mean like somebody who was using Safari and had their preferences set to block cookies, and then comes Google and says, FU - We do what we please, and then they track you anyway?

post #19 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Well I ordered one. The price looks like it can't be beat, and it will do Google Reader and web browsing just as well as any iPad or Windows 8 tablet.

Waste of money.

This tablet will be a joke if and when Apple releases the rumored mini-iPad soon.

post #20 of 110

one price not listed:  Android... Which is really:  'payment to Microsoft for licensing their IP'

Remember... it was theorized that Microsoft was making more per Android phone than Google was;-)

post #21 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

There's not a chance in he77 that Apple would price an iPad Mini at $199. That leaves no margin after the real costs are considered (see above) - and Apple is not interested in selling a device at cost.

Again- I say this under the guise that I, too, think Apple will sell it for $249 or $299.  But lets not pretend that Apple doesn't sell a device for around cost.  iPod touches have consistently been for years ~$155 for parts just like this breakdown although the price was $229..  Now estimates on cost last year when they dropped the price, it dropped to around $142.  And... holy crap- they sell for $199.  Wow....

Apple, like anyone, likes to get a large market share hooked young and early.  Why else would the shuffle still exist?

Edited by Andysol - 7/11/12 at 1:51pm

post #22 of 110
Quote:

I'd be surprised if what you say is true.  The 7" form factor at their aspect ratio makes it unusable in landscape for any onscreen kb entry -- there is just not enough area above the kb to see more than a few lines of content/typing.    Imagine surfing AI forums and posting replays to threads with quotes.

While OK as a reader in portrait mode, it would be difficult to use the smaller onscreen kb.

Finally, with the iPad iCloud ecosystem and iTunes match -- you can get access to all your music with little or no need to upload.   We have 16,000 songs available to all our iPads.  I took about 20 minutes to match our music from 3 Macs, then about 2-3 hours to upload the songs we have that are not on Apple's servers... all done automatically.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
post #23 of 110
Quote:

Yep... one cannot beat low prices on garbage.  You get what you pay for.  

post #24 of 110
Quote:

Thats fine you ordered one- your money.  Report back its goods and bads if you'd like.  I have a follow-up question though- if Apple released a mini for $249 (8gb) and $299 (16gb)- so $50 more- but it had an aluminum back and retina, would you have bought that instead?

post #25 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

If you get it today does that mean you won't come back to troll?

post #26 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I've looked at almost all the available reviews on the Nexus 7 and the consensus is far from garbage. Now I would agree there are a lot of garbage Android phones out there, but this tablet does appear to be quite good. I'll defer final judgement though until these things start shipping to the masses.

post #27 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Thats fine you ordered one- your money.  Report back its goods and bads if you'd like.  I have a follow-up question though- if Apple released a mini for $249 (8gb) and $299 (16gb)- so $50 more- but it had an aluminum back and retina, would you have bought that instead?

I would, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

post #28 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Note that per their usual methodology, they are only including direct labor in their 'manufacturing costs'. They are not including:
- Packaging
- Shipping
- Quality control costs
- Rework and scrap
- R&D costs
- Support costs
- Legal costs
- Licensing costs (one report says that Microsoft alone gets $15 per Android device)
- Manufacturing overhead
- Corporate overhead allocated to manufacturing
- Advertising
That puts the cost at much, much higher than $159.
On top of that, if they are selling this through any distribution channel, the distributor is going to take a portion of the retail, so Google would not receive the full $199.
When you figure all the costs they didn't include plus the discount offered to retailers, it sounds like a break-even, at best. But even if you accept their figures and ignore all the additional costs and the retailer discounts, they're only at 20% GM - which is hardly a reasonable margin for what is being sold as a premium product.
Fail.

Thank you for pointing this out. How stupid are these people to not consider all the other costs involved with bringing a product to market and then supporting it after the consumer buys it?

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #29 of 110

Part costs are not true cost. There are other development related costs, not to mention labor, support, and marketing.

post #30 of 110
Quote:

I disagree.  

All the other competitors are selling at cost and doing a roughly $200 price point.  By the time the iPad mini launches, they will be even lower.  Next year, lower again.  Before the 2.0 version of the iPad mini launches the competition will be pricing at $150 or so.  

Especially if the screen really is the old low-res one, the iPad mini *needs* to be $200 or less.  Even if the iPad mini blows away the competition in technical prowess or even features, the consumer is just going to see two 7" tablets, one for $200 and one for $250.  

They will pick the $200 one most of the time.  

post #31 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Waste of money.

This tablet will be a joke if and when Apple releases the rumored mini-iPad soon.

Do you Apple fanboys really want to live in a world with no competition? Do you think that would spur Apple on to innovate and keep prices down?  Would it hurt you to once in every 10 million venom filled posts to say that someone other than Apple is capable of producing something nice?

The Nexus 7 is getting great reviews and is priced extremely aggressively. There's no reason why it shouldn't do well.

post #32 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'm so pleased I don't live in the Apple fanboy bizzaro world where everything without an Apple logo is worse than sewage.  Did you even bother to read any Nexus 7 reviews before spewing hate?  I've read a few, and it's getting great scores, as it should based on the extremely good specs (the CPU and GPU are considerably quicker than the iPad 3 for example) and great OS.  And as a bonus, no hideous skeumorphism in the built in apps. 

post #33 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Not necessarily.

I think it extremely unlikely that Apple would bother to make an 8GB iPad mini (or an 8GB anything for much longer).  

It's just too small, even for crap magazines and a few PDF's and games.  

IMO it's far more likely that Apple will do what they typically do which is produce the mini in the same "size steps" as the regular iPad.  They will be 16GB, 32GB, & 64GB, and the low end one (16GB), will certainly not be $300.  

post #34 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I'm waiting for the Apple iPad mini this Fall! :)

post #35 of 110
Quote:

You're being obfuscatory on purpose here.  Apple does not steal your data in general and couldn't care less about your personal information.  Even when they request and take information from you it's all up front, and almost alway anonymous.  

Google and Facebook on the other hand are totally different.  To seriously talk about these things as if they are the same is utter insanity.

Edited by Gazoobee - 7/11/12 at 3:21pm
post #36 of 110
Quote:

From another thread that said there is no way Apple could make a $200 iPad mini who wanted to argue with me there is no profit (as if Apples buying power wouldn't be different than Google).

I still think it'll be more like $249 or $299, but to say there is no profit is now debunked.  Just saying....

No, it hasn't been debunked. See my posts where I demonstrate that this 'analysis' grossly underestimates the costs and overestimates Google's share of the revenue. You don't have any idea of whether Apple would make money at $200.
Quote:

Again- I say this under the guise that I, too, think Apple will sell it for $249 or $299.  But lets not pretend that Apple doesn't sell a device for around cost.  iPod touches have consistently been for years ~$155 for parts just like this breakdown although the price was $229..  Now estimates on cost last year when they dropped the price, it dropped to around $142.  And... holy crap- they sell for $199.  Wow....

Apple, like anyone, likes to get a large market share hooked young and early.  Why else would the shuffle still exist?

I'd love to see your evidence for that - from a reliable source.

As it is, Apple doesn't report gross margin by product line AFAIK, so you can only guess. But given that their average GM is 40% and Apple's strategy doesn't include loss leaders, it's extremely unlikely that they're selling the iPod Touch at cost.

BTW, have you noticed the gross inconsistency in your position? On one hand, you argue that Apple is selling the iPod Touch ($229) at or near cost, but on the other hand, you argue that they could make a decent margin on a 7" iPad at $199 (and a healthy margin at $249). Considering that the iPad has a lot more materials, 4x the screen size, faster processor, and much larger battery, those two positions are contradictory. If they sell the iPad Mini at roughly the same cost as the iPod Touch ($249 vs $229), the margins will be much lower on the iPad Mini. If they sell the iPad Mini below the current price of the iPod Touch (i.e., $199), they would lose money - or, at the very least, not make anything.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #37 of 110
If Apple had put out this tablet, they would be skewered by the tech pundits for it being Wi-Fi only, no retina display, max capacity of 16 GB, and no rear facing camera. Google does it and the tech pundits swallow the Kool-Aid and tout it no end.
post #38 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

If Apple had put out this tablet, they would be skewered by the tech pundits for it being Wi-Fi only, no retina display, max capacity of 16 GB, and no rear facing camera. Google does it and the tech pundits swallow the Kool-Aid and tout it no end.

I'm not sure why everyone is harping on the WiFi only. I can tether through my phone if needed.  

If you had read any of the Nexus 7 reviews you will find that most of them point out, no rear camera, no 3G/4G and no external storage as the "not cool/tired" factors of the Nexus 7. The display at 216 ppi gets very good reviews, it's close enough to retina to not make much difference at that size.

post #39 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

I'm not sure why everyone is harping on the WiFi only. I can tether through my phone if needed.  

If you had read any of the Nexus 7 reviews you will find that most of them point out, no rear camera, no 3G/4G and no external storage as the "not cool/tired" factors of the Nexus 7. The display at 216 ppi gets very good reviews, it's close enough to retina to not make much difference at that size.

Here's a smattering of the negative aspects to the reviews. 

Sure, it'd be useful to have a full size USB host port, microSD slot (though no Nexus has shipped with one since Nexus S), 5 GHz WiFi (Nexus 7 is 2.4 GHz only), or cellular, but the tablet wouldn't be $199 anymore.

The Not-so-Good:

• Storage:  If you are going to buy a Nexus 7, buy the 16GB version. It will run you $249, but the extra internal storage will be worth it. My unit only has 8GB of storage, and trust me when I say that you can fill that up in no time. If you are a media junky that downloads more than a movie or two at a time for travel, you will run out of space quickly. 2GB or so are taken up by the OS, so after downloading a couple of big HD games and a 2.5GB HD movie or two, you will have nothing left. And since there isn’t a microSD slot to expand that storage amount, you need to invest in the extra storage up front.
  • Rear Camera:  I personally couldn’t care less that the Nexus 7 does not have a rear camera, but some of you might. If you are into taking pictures with a giant glass slab, then this could be a downer to you. Most tablets these days, other than the Kindle Fire, have a rear camera, however, this was likely a move to keep the price down.
  • No HDMI or MHL: Sorry, folks, the Nexus 7 does not have much of a video-out option. It’s microUSB port does not support MHL and there isn’t an HDMI slot to b e found either. Leaving either of these out is probably a cost cutting measure, but with Google also trying to push the Nexus Q and its wireless media playback, this sort of makes sense. That doesn’t mean we aren’t disappointed, though.

Although the Nexus 7 has very good Wi-Fi and we were able to tether from a mobile hotspot with ease, we'd love to see a slightly more expensive model with 4G LTE, accompanied by sweet month-to-month data plans, in the near future.

Android is still playing catch-up when it comes to tablet-friendly apps, but we're hopeful those kinks will start to get ironed out if and when consumers gravitate to the Nexus 7.

Our biggest lament is the muted contrast of the otherwise quite stellar IPS display; while it's not a total deal breaker, we're holding out hope that Google might push out a software update to bring the gamma levels in line with competing hardware, assuming it's not simply a glitch with our review unit.

Very limited storage. Google Play media store doesn't quite work. No HDMI or MHL to connect the tablet to HDTVs.

But there are also plenty of places where you can pick holes in the Nexus 7. There will be tablets that are better with media, with more native support for features and wider physical connectivity. Then there is the issue of those services that you don't get outside the US.

post #40 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Do you Apple fanboys really want to live in a world with no competition? 

This is not competition. It's merely a low priced tablet, though I'm sure that there is a certain market for such a tablet. Why would such a product interest me, when I already own the best tablet available? If somebody else came up with something that was truly impressive, then I might change my tune.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google Nexus 7 parts estimated to cost $152