or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung sold 6.5M Galaxy S III smartphones in Q2 2012, analyst says

Samsung sold 6.5M Galaxy S III smartphones in Q2 2012, analyst says - Page 5

post #161 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnraghu View Post

I am happy you say that. This means you have never trolled on android forum. This is good.

http://phandroid.com/2012/07/13/samsung-opens-up-first-retail-store-in-canada-apples-not-gonna-like-this-video/

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-opens-stand-alone-retail-store-vancouver-north-america-100863/

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/128575-galaxy-s3-did-samsung-just-out-iphone-apple

Well this is just a sample from today. I have both iOS and android products and I like both variations for their own benefits. I am regularly on both apple and android forums. I see this trolls both ways. So we will have to live with it.

The comments are the best.  A rip off is a rip off.  I guess if Apple didnt patent the store they are out of luck.

post #162 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Since Mike Daisey hasn't done a play about it must all be well above Foxconn in every way¡

In what sort of a culture is a comment like this seen as witty or clever?

post #163 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So explain again how the SIII is killing the iPhone?

My understanding is that it is only one phone, the same for every customer.  

Compare that with the raft of different iPhone SKUs - different carriers, different cell bands, different colors, different models, different storage capacities, different price points?

Which of the dozens of different iPhones do you want to compare against the one lone Galaxy SIII?   Is it really fair to compare all of the multidunious iPhones against one little underdog?

/s

post #164 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

There is this huge debate of "shipped vs sold" on these forums... and I don't know why.

Because  it  allows the poster to employ an irrational shibboleth, usually with rousing agreement, and seldomly with any request for examination or justification.

For reason opaque to me, in certain subcultures, the desire to do such a thing is common.  

The fable The Emperor's New Clothes illustrates this phenomenon nicely.

post #165 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

The sheer number of Android phone threads started on Macrumors (something I have never seen before in all of Macrumors existence) is enough anecdotal evidence to show that the Apple fanbase is getting tired of the same old iphone and OS.

I'm not convinced that the Apple fanbase is  all that large a proportion of iPhone customers.  My impression  is that while the proportion may be high among Mac buyers, the iPhone is sold primarily to average people.

post #166 of 210
Quote:

So it's the number you win, not what you win from them? By your logic companies should sell more units of something even if means selling it with a negative margin. Brilliant¡

Hey Hellacool - Please don't feed the trolls.

post #167 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Hey Hellacool - Please don't feed the trolls.

I enjoy dragging them out from under the bridge.

post #168 of 210
Quote:

And your understanding is wrong (which is not surprising).

There are at least 3 distinct Samsung Galaxy SIII phones:
- International phone - currently 4 cores
- Domestic phone - currently 2 cores
- Domestic phone - future 4 cores

That doesn't get into the different storage capacities, colors, different carriers, etc - which is the same issue with all vendors. With Apple (and with most vendors), if you buy a x GB model z phone, you know its specs. That's not true with the SIII. There are different internals, all using the same name.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #169 of 210
Quote:

And your understanding is wrong (which is not surprising).
There are at least 3 distinct Samsung Galaxy SIII phones:
- International phone - currently 4 cores
- Domestic phone - currently 2 cores
- Domestic phone - future 4 cores
That doesn't get into the different storage capacities, colors, different carriers, etc - which is the same issue with all vendors. With Apple (and with most vendors), if you buy a x GB model z phone, you know its specs. That's not true with the SIII. There are different internals, all using the same name.

Where are you getting "domestic phone - future 4 cores"? A citation for these odd proclamations would help readers determine the veracity. Even if it were true, which I've never seen announced anywhere, that doesn't make it three distinct phones now.

melior diabolus quem scies
post #170 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Where are you getting "domestic phone - future 4 cores"? A citation for these odd proclamations would help readers determine the veracity. Even if it were true, which I've never seen announced anywhere, that doesn't make it three distinct phones now.

Funny how the 'odd proclamations' seem to come from you.

See post #139:
"The International version uses quad-core processors. Unfortunately those processors are not yet compatible with the US's LTE networks. Compatible processors should be available later this year. To be able to take advantage of our 4G networks they had to use dual-core Snapdragon's here. "

That pretty strongly suggests that you think they'll switch to quad core here. It really doesn't matter - the fact is that two consumers could buy SIII phones and they would have very different specs. Not to mention all the other Android fragmentation problems.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #171 of 210
Quote:

Because  it  allows the poster to employ an irrational shibboleth, usually with rousing agreement, and seldomly with any request for examination or justification.

For reason opaque to me, in certain subcultures, the desire to do such a thing is common.  

The fable The Emperor's New Clothes illustrates this phenomenon nicely.

... or it could be that one company was caught lying about the numbers they were reporting for one of their products and shortly thereafter that same company pulled specific numbers from their quarterly reports.

Wouldn't that make anyone question the reason why they pulled the numbers and wouldn't you be suspicious going forward about the numbers that company reports?

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #172 of 210
Quote:

Funny how the 'odd proclamations' seem to come from you.
See post #139:
"The International version uses quad-core processors. Unfortunately those processors are not yet compatible with the US's LTE networks. Compatible processors should be available later this year. To be able to take advantage of our 4G networks they had to use dual-core Snapdragon's here. "
That pretty strongly suggests that you think they'll switch to quad core here. It really doesn't matter - the fact is that two consumers could buy SIII phones and they would have very different specs. Not to mention all the other Android fragmentation problems.

Quote:

Doubtful. I think the US version of the S3 will always use the dual-core Snapdragon. Samsung has actually done a pretty good job resisting the telcos typical pressure for "special" versions with "special" features on the S3. It appears they're now big enough and have enough influence to call their own shots for the most part. That's an area that Apple's excels in.

Quote:

Or just plain lying.
This is hilarious. So there's no fragmentation. Except the Galaxy SIII which is quad core in International versions and dual core in the US. But at some time in the near future, the US version will have quad cores. /s

On the one hand I'm happy to see I'm now one of your trusted sources, but on the other you need to read all the posts.

Edited by Gatorguy - 7/13/12 at 2:45pm
post #173 of 210
Quote:

On the one hand I'm happy to see I'm now one of your trusted sources, but you need to read all the posts.

Sorry, but I can't stand the boredom of reading all your posts.

It doesn't, however, surprise me that you contradict yourself so frequently that it's necessary to read everything you write.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #174 of 210
Quote:

Sorry, but I can't stand the boredom of reading all your posts.

Doubtful. Based on replies I think you follow me pretty closely. 

post #175 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post

All Apple forums have been invaded by Android shills. It's no fun anymore. What are they even doing here? I'm signing out forever. Which is just what they want. But whatever. Please close these forums.

I wasn't aware that you need to have an iPhone to like Apple products. I like my Macs, I have no intention of getting an iPhone
post #176 of 210
Quote:

What I can't understand is people who don't use a product and are product to announce that they wouldn't be caught dead using a product who then go to a forum about that product and spread incessant lies and FUD. I can't think of any rational reason to do so...

Either that or some of them are being paid to do this, which is pretty rational.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #177 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

My wife has an iPhone 4, I have a GS2 LTE and my GS2 crushes it in every angle, screen, use, keyboard whatever, my phone is better, end of story. 

You ever listened to music through headphones on both phones?

How about docking it?

Game over red rover.

post #178 of 210
Quote:

In what sort of a culture is a comment like this seen as witty or clever?

One where the Mike Daisey fictional work was picked up by the media and presented as real news in order to crucify a highly successful company.

In Australia we call it "tall poppy syndrome".

Meanwhile Vietnamese factories churn out Galaxy S III's for Samsung, the workers continue, unknown and ignored.

Try to keep up, ok.

post #179 of 210
Quote:

Compare that with the raft of different iPhone SKUs - different carriers, different cell bands, different colors, different models, different storage capacities, different price points?

Which of the dozens of different iPhones do you want to compare against the one lone Galaxy SIII?   Is it really fair to compare all of the multidunious iPhones against one little underdog?

/s

I've found 4 models of the SIII, not counting white plastic or blue plastic, 16 or 32GB models.

i9300, T999, I535, I747

Dual core or quad core?

Snapdragon or Exynos?

post #180 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... or it could be that one company was caught lying about the numbers they were reporting for one of their products and shortly thereafter that same company pulled specific numbers from their quarterly reports.

Wouldn't that make anyone question the reason why they pulled the numbers and wouldn't you be suspicious going forward about the numbers that company reports?

Smooth.

post #181 of 210
Originally Posted by odyssey3001 View Post

Two months ago we were told that there were 9 million pre-orders:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/18/3028051/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-9-million-pre-orders

What happened to the remaining 2.5 million units?

According to the article, the 2.5 million units may still be in production:

"and Samsung said that it was having trouble producing enough copies to keep up with growing demand and expected sales to reach 10 million by July."

I think Samsung is trying to play the Apple's short supply game as well.

post #182 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You ever listened to music through headphones on both phones?

How about docking it?

Game over red rover.

Docking??? How last millenium of you! With new advances in things like bluetooth connectivity for stereos, you really consider docking to be a selling point?

post #183 of 210
Quote:

I've found 4 models of the SIII, not counting white plastic or blue plastic, 16 or 32GB models.

i9300, T999, I535, I747

Dual core or quad core?

Snapdragon or Exynos?

If they're meant for the US they're Snapdragon. International they're Exynos. That means the one for T-Mobile's network (SGH-T999), the one for Verizon (SGH-535), and the one for ATT (I747), all have Snapdragon processors tho different baseband chips for those networks. Same thing that Apple does isn't it?

The fourth one, the I9300 International version uses the quad-core Exynos. Pretty simple to figure out. The only difference in the three US versions is whose network they're intended for and the exterior color. And that explains your "fragmented" Galaxy S3 claim.

Edited by Gatorguy - 7/13/12 at 5:56pm
post #184 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

Docking??? How last millenium of you! With new advances in things like bluetooth connectivity for stereos, you really consider docking to be a selling point?

When it charges the battery at the same time as producing a higher quality sound and video, why yes, yes I do.

Speaking of advances in Bluetooth I wonder why Samsung didn't put Bluetooth 4.0 in the SIII, to at least put it on par with the 4S.

post #185 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

According to the article, the 2.5 million units may still be in production:

"and Samsung said that it was having trouble producing enough copies to keep up with growing demand and expected sales to reach 10 million by July."

I think Samsung is trying to play the Apple's short supply game as well.

Yep, they even tried the "production difficulties" causing a delay of the blue painted plastic version, strange thing is, they were available within a week of launch so allowing for shipping and distribution times Samsung must have had stock produced and ready to ship when they made the statement.

post #186 of 210
Quote:

If they're meant for the US they're Snapdragon. International they're Exynos. That means the one for T-Mobile's network, the SGH-T999, the one for Verizon, SGH-535, and the one for ATT, the I747, all have Snapdragon processors tho different baseband chips for those networks. Same thing that Apple does isn't it?

The fourth one, the II9300 International version uses the quad-core Exynos. Pretty simple to figure out. The only difference in the three US versions is whose network they're intended for and the exterior color.

Not even close. All their same model phones use the same SoC and same bandband processor.

The only time this differed was with the Verizon iPhone which was released a half a year later which had a new baseband processor specifically for CDMA/CDMA2000. It also contained a redesigned antenna required for Verizon's network and used a Qualcomm Gobi chip that was designed to be a world mode device but there were no power amps and other HW to make that possible, it was just a testbed for what eventually came into full form with the iPhone 4S, but all that is irrelevant...

The GT-I9308 variant of the Galaxy S III looks like it uses a Spreadstrum SC8803G baseband processor in the Snapdragon S4 SoC but I can't verify that. I also can't verify what other basebands processors are used between devices. However, that 's mostly irrelevant as 3rd-party devs are likely to deal directly with that thus making that aspect a non-issue.

That still leaves plenty of other issues that devs need to consider... Excluding capacity (as that's virtually a non-issue) there are differences in the amount of RAM (1GB v. 2GB), the CPU (ARM Cortex A9 v. Qualcomm Krait) and GPU Mali-400 v. Adreno 225)used in these devices. It's not all cut and dry either and it all makes it much harder for a developer to idealize an app for a platform when there is so much variance in the core design.

Excluding the models that are only different due to network differences there are 3 distinct models of the S III that would need to be tested for if was a good developer. They could get away with only two models if they only wanted to test for 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB. To put this another way, that basically means a developer building for the latest Android OS or iPhone OS would need to test the same number of models between 3 years of iPhone releases and these 3 brand new phones that are sold as the same branded model.

PS: For the sake of covering all my bases the new iPad 2 uses a new SoC. However, it's still the same processor, at the same speed, with the same GPU, at the same speed. etc. The only difference is in the lithography. There are changes Apple had to make to the OS but it will not affect developers at all. It's just a testbed to getting 32/28nm up to speed and it results in several more hours to the usage of the new iPad 2's.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #187 of 210
Quote:

Yep, they even tried the "production difficulties" causing a delay of the blue painted plastic version, strange thing is, they were available within a week of launch so allowing for shipping and distribution times Samsung must have had stock produced and ready to ship when they made the statement.

The blue polycarbonate version was delayed for International sales which launched in May, several weeks prior to the US. By the time they arrived in the US in late June they obviously had stock built up. I think blue may be available international now instead of just the white version that was originally available. Have you seen the blue polycarb ones yet at your store?

post #188 of 210

I don't believe it's as varied as you imply Soli. To the best of my knowledge all the US versions, which account for 3 of the 4 model numbers, use the same Adreno 224 GNU chip, the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 8960 CPU, and offer the same 2GB RAM. Same features, same size, same battery, same sensors, same display, same camera, same connectivity and expansion capabilities.

The differences are the TMobile version won't support LTE, the Verizon version won't work with GSM, and the ATT won't work with CDMA, thus three differnt model numbers. Otherwise the available colors are the only difference that I can see. 

The only other model is the international version and every one of those has the same 1GB RAM, same Cortex A9 CPU, same Exynos Quad chipset, same Mali 400 GPU. Same features, same size, same battery, same sensors, same display, same camera, same connectivity and expansion capabilities as far as I can see. Two hardware builds in other words, one for the US and one for everywhere else.

EDIT: By the way, thank you so much for reminding me about the baseband chips. I had a nagging feeling I was a little confused when I made the original post. That's one of the good things about AI members. They don't mind taking the time to correct me if I'm mistaken.lol.gif

Edited by Gatorguy - 7/13/12 at 8:05pm
post #189 of 210
Quote:

Speaking of advances in Bluetooth I wonder why Samsung didn't put Bluetooth 4.0 in the SIII, to at least put it on par with the 4S.

They do support Bluetooth 4.0 according to Galaxy 3 specs posted by ATT, Verizon, etc. What makes you think they don't?

EDIT: Yup, definitely supports Bluetooth 4.0

http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Bluetooth-Smart-Devices.aspx

post #190 of 210
Quote:

I don't believe it's as varied as you imply Soli. To the best of my knowledge all the US versions, which account for 3 of the 4 model numbers, use the same Adreno 224 GNU chip, the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 8960 CPU, and offer the same 2GB RAM. Same features, same size, same battery, same sensors, same display, same camera, same connectivity and expansion capabilities.

The differences are the TMobile version won't support LTE, the Verizon version won't work with GSM, and the ATT won't work with CDMA, thus three differnt model numbers. Otherwise the available colors are the only difference that I can see. 

The only other model is the international version and every one of those has the same 1GB RAM, same Cortex A9 CPU, same Exynos Quad chipset, same Mali 400 GPU. Same features, same size, same battery, same sensors, same display, same camera, same connectivity and expansion capabilities as far as I can see. Two hardware builds in other words, one for the US and one for everywhere else.

EDIT: By the way, thank you so much for reminding me about the baseband chips. I had a nagging feeling I was a little confused when I made the original post. That's one of the good things about AI members. They don't mind taking the time to correct me if I'm mistaken.lol.gif

As I tried to express I'm not drawing a line between a different baseband or network configuration. I'm only drawing a line between the devices with different CPUs, GPUs, and RAM. That leaves three distinct models of the same phone that 3rd-party developers would need to test for: International, South Korean, and the 6 models for various JP, CA and US carriers. Note that I also stated that is a developers app could be tested fine with just 1GB, the International S III, then it wouldn't need to be tested on the 2GB version of the same CPU and GPU, the South Korean S III.

(Screenshot taken from Wikipedia. Not all chart info has been verified but from a cursory view all looks to be in order.)

post #191 of 210
Quote:

As I tried to express I'm not drawing a line between a different baseband or network configuration. I'm only drawing a line between the devices with different CPUs, GPUs, and RAM. That leaves three distinct models of the same phone that 3rd-party developers would need to test for: International, South Korean, and the 6 models for various JP, CA and US carriers. Note that I also stated that is a developers app could be tested fine with just 1GB, the International S III, then it wouldn't need to be tested on the 2GB version of the same CPU and GPU, the South Korean S III.

I don't see an obvious hardware difference between the 2 quad-core versions, International and S, Korean other than S. Korea getting 2GB RAM. As you said, whether it's 1 or 2 GB RAM shouldn't mean anything to a developer. You'll have to point anything else I'm missing.

So it still looks like just two hardware builds, one based on the Exynos quadcore with both S.Korea and International having the same GPU, CPU, camera etc,, and the US/Japan/Canadian with the same Snapdragon processor, same GPU, CPU, RAM, camera etc.

post #192 of 210
Quote:

The blue polycarbonate version was delayed for International sales which launched in May, several weeks prior to the US. By the time they arrived in the US in late June they obviously had stock built up. I think blue may be available international now instead of just the white version that was originally available. Have you seen the blue polycarb ones yet at your store?

Yes.

They arrived a week after launch, a long time before the US had them.

It's metallic blue paint.

post #193 of 210
Quote:

I don't see an obvious hardware difference between the 2 quad-core versions, International and S, Korean other than S. Korea getting 2GB RAM. As you said, whether it's 1 or 2 GB RAM shouldn't mean anything to a developer. You'll have to point anything else I'm missing.

So it still looks like just two hardware builds, one based on the Exynos quadcore with both S.Korea and International having the same GPU, CPU, camera etc,, and the US/Japan/Canadian with the same Snapdragon processor, same GPU, CPU, RAM, camera etc.

Yes, it does matter. If you design an app around a device with twice the resources and then need to account for your app running on the lower resource device or limit the resources the app uses to appeal to the lowest common factor. This is basic logic here. And considering that 7 of 8, current, models of the S III and by far the highest sellers of the device running 2GB devs are probably going to only design around two base versions of the device based on the CPU and GPU, as I stated, thus causing potential problems for unsuspecting users with the International version.

Or do you want to argue some more that RAM doesn't affect how apps run?

post #194 of 210
Quote:

Yes, it does matter. If you design an app around a device with twice the resources and then need to account for your app running on the lower resource device or limit the resources the app uses to appeal to the lowest common factor. This is basic logic here. And considering that 7 of 8, current, models of the S III and by far the highest sellers of the device running 2GB devs are probably going to only design around two base versions of the device based on the CPU and GPU, as I stated, thus causing potential problems for unsuspecting users with the International version.
Or do you want to argue some more that RAM doesn't affect how apps run?

If you say it does then it does. I don't see an issue myself but you do. I don't think the 2GB of RAM in the US versions with dual-core Snapdragon will cause problems for "unsuspecting" international buyers with a quadcore processor but only 1GB or RAM. Then again I'm not a developer.

post #195 of 210
Quote:

Yes.

They arrived a week after launch, a long time before the US had them.

It's metallic blue paint.

... over polycarb. I think Apple might have used polycarbonate casings themselves. They just didn't refer to them as plastic.

post #196 of 210
Quote:

... over polycarb. I think Apple might have used polycarbonate casings themselves. They just didn't refer to them as plastic.

The 10 month delay with Apple was due to white glass.

post #197 of 210
Quote:

They do support Bluetooth 4.0 according to Galaxy 3 specs posted by ATT, Verizon, etc. What makes you think they don't?

EDIT: Yup, definitely supports Bluetooth 4.0

http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Bluetooth-Smart-Devices.aspx

Got confused with the Galaxy Nexus.

Too many Galaxy's, constellations of them.

post #198 of 210
Quote:

The 10 month delay with Apple was due to white glass.

I'm not referring to polycarb on an iPhone. I'm pretty sure polycarbonate (you never would have called it plastic) was/is used for the casing on some Apple products

post #199 of 210
Quote:

When it charges the battery at the same time as producing a higher quality sound and video, why yes, yes I do.

1. You can easily charge your phone while streaming music over a bluetooth connection if needed, so I have no idea what you are talking about? Sounds like you could benefit from a bigger battery if it is an issue for you. Strike one! 
  2. Regarding higher sound quality, the bandwidth from a 2.4 GHZ bluetooth connection is more than adequate for streaming a 256kbps MP3. Strike two! 
  3. For video, many phones provide HDMI output ( the industry standard) without the need for docking. Strike three!

Congratulations! You just struck out in a single sentence :)

post #200 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

1. You can easily charge your phone while streaming music over a bluetooth connection if needed, so I have no idea what you are talking about? Sounds like you could benefit from a bigger battery if it is an issue for you. Strike one! 
  2. Regarding higher sound quality, the bandwidth from a 2.4 GHZ bluetooth connection is more than adequate for streaming a 256kbps MP3. Strike two! 
  3. For video, many phones provide HDMI output ( the industry standard) without the need for docking. Strike three!

Congratulations! You just struck out in a single sentence :)

HDMI over Bluetooth, tell me more, I'm interested to know.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung sold 6.5M Galaxy S III smartphones in Q2 2012, analyst says