or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung sold 6.5M Galaxy S III smartphones in Q2 2012, analyst says

Samsung sold 6.5M Galaxy S III smartphones in Q2 2012, analyst says - Page 6

post #201 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

HDMI over Bluetooth, tell me more, I'm interested to know.

Considering that HDMI is an interface type, I was never implying that this connection was done over Bluetooth. Did you also think that my comment about charging implied that this was done over Bluetooth as well?

The fact remains that many other phones today have the 'functionality' provided by a Universal Dock already built in. You don't need a dock when your phone already has a micro HDMI for video, micro USB for data and charging, and Bluetooth for audio connections. The argument could be made that it is nice to have a dedicated spot for your phone when you get home, but if that is the case, almost all phones have the option for a docking station, including the S3.

post #202 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

1. Regarding higher sound quality, the bandwidth from a 2.4 GHZ bluetooth connection is more than adequate for streaming a 256kbps MP3. Strike two! 

If you call a 256k MP3 "higher sound quality", then I  wonder why?    Believe me, there are MUCH better sounding formats.  Even in MP3, 256 is no better than middling quality.

post #203 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

If you call a 256k MP3 "higher sound quality", then I  wonder why?    Believe me, there are MUCH better sounding formats.  Even in MP3, 256 is no better than middling quality.

Sure 256 k is higher than 96 k or 128 k (using the same encoding method). So what? Middling quality? Nonsense. The overwhelming majority of people listen to 256 k or lower quality on their portable music devices. When you're in an airplane with 70 db of background noise, you're not going to hear the nuances of sound, anyway. And most people are using cheap ear buds - which won't reproduce the sound that well, anyway.

It reminds me of the vinyl snobs who insist that vinyl is the only way to listen to music. Frankly, I'd rather listen to CD quality music than all the pops and hisses from vinyl - nor do I care to spend 10 hours a day cleaning and taking care of my record collection. Not everyone is interested in studio-quality sound.

But, if you really insist, you can play uncompressed audio on your iPhone, so what's your point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

... over polycarb. I think Apple might have used polycarbonate casings themselves. They just didn't refer to them as plastic.

Please tell us which iPhone used polycarbonate for its case.
Quote:

I don't see an obvious hardware difference between the 2 quad-core versions, International and S, Korean other than S. Korea getting 2GB RAM. As you said, whether it's 1 or 2 GB RAM shouldn't mean anything to a developer. You'll have to point anything else I'm missing.

So it still looks like just two hardware builds, one based on the Exynos quadcore with both S.Korea and International having the same GPU, CPU, camera etc,, and the US/Japan/Canadian with the same Snapdragon processor, same GPU, CPU, RAM, camera etc.

Amazing. The same phone can have different CPUs and different RAM configurations and you're denying that fragmentation occurs?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #204 of 210
Quote:

I'm not referring to polycarb on an iPhone. I'm pretty sure polycarbonate (you never would have called it plastic) was/is used for the casing on some Apple products

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
Please tell us which iPhone used polycarbonate for its case.

You're confused again.

melior diabolus quem scies
post #205 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
Amazing. The same phone can have different CPUs and different RAM configurations and you're denying that fragmentation occurs?

Yet another strawman. That's never a claim I made, but don't let that stop you.

post #206 of 210

The people who never developed anything yep have the audacity to claim the a different memory chip or cpu would means 'fragmentation' and 'force dev to adapt their app' are really voicing garbage. Some should explain them the point of an OS compatible and handling a variety of different hardware, because it seems that they have a tech knowledge obsolete by a few decades. I won't comment on the shipped/sold numbers recurring nonsense, If some can't live with the fact that Samsung is today the first smartphone manufacturer in the world, I really don't want to spoil their all too personal world...

post #207 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You are welcome to your "common sense." I like audited numbers.

If internet 'hits' were facts, Elvis would be living next door to me, and Michael Jackson would be dating him.

As a CPA, I'd like to point out audited numbers and common sense have little correlation

You should try to use the latter more often

post #208 of 210

From Reuters today:

* Samsung seen increasing lead over Apple in smartphones

* Samsung expected to have sold 50 million smartphones in Q2

* Apple seen selling 30.5 million iPhones

* China's Huawei and ZTE seen gaining ground

HELSINKI, July 16 (Reuters) - Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (005930.KS) increased its lead over Apple Inc (AAPL.O) and Nokia Oyj (NOK1V.HE) in the global cellphone market in the second quarter, helped by strong demand and large marketing campaigns for its latest flagship model, the Galaxy S III, according to a Reuters poll.

Samsung and Apple have been neck-and-neck for several quarters in the battle to be the largest smartphone vendor, but the May launch of the new Samsung model created a clear gap between the two, the poll of 41 analysts showed.

Samsung is expected to have sold 50 million smartphones in the quarter, compared with Apple's forecast sales of 30.5 million iPhones.

"Samsung is expected to be the smartphone hero in the second quarter," said IDC analyst Francisco Jeronimo.

"We are also expecting to see the biggest smartphone volumes ever shipped from one single vendor in one quarter, driven by strong demand of the Galaxy portfolio, particularly the Galaxy S II and S III," he said.

Samsung is benefiting from its wide smartphone portfolio when competing against Apple, whose sales are dependent on launch schedules for the next versions of the iPhone.

In the overall cellphone market, when also including basic cellphones, Samsung ended Nokia's 14-year reign as the world's largest in the first quarter and is expected to stretch that lead.

Samsung is estimated to have sold 15.7 million more phones than Nokia in the second quarter, the poll showed. In the first quarter, it sold 3.4 million more phones than Nokia, according to Gartner.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/16/idINL6E8IG0FK20120716

post #209 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostcallmerob View Post

I did not have any intention to insult any of the members of the website or forum. I myself currently own or have owned almost every Apple product going back 7 years, and in no way am I opposed or against Apple. I love their products and applaud the company on their structure and design and plan to use their products for many years to come.

It was frustrating to see other members bash the success of another phone, let alone the company that makes parts for Apple and the iPhone. The S3 has done very well for Samsung thus far, and although their "sales figures" may not be entirely accurate let them take some credit for finally developing a competitive device to the iPhone. In that, my apologies.

I agree. I am an apple loyalist, been so since the original apple ii and it frustrates me to see Apple users bash a competitor. I absolutely love my iPhone, iPad and all other Apple products, I have absolutely no need to switch to android, there's nothing it offers me that Apple doesn't. The S3 is a very nice phone, but I have enough confidence in Apple and my products to just congratulate Samsung. 6 mil aint bad. It's not 35 million, but not bad.

post #210 of 210
Quote:

From Reuters today:

* Samsung seen increasing lead over Apple in smartphones

* Samsung expected to have sold 50 million smartphones in Q2

* Apple seen selling 30.5 million iPhones

* China's Huawei and ZTE seen gaining ground

HELSINKI, July 16 (Reuters) - Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (005930.KS) increased its lead over Apple Inc (AAPL.O) and Nokia Oyj (NOK1V.HE) in the global cellphone market in the second quarter, helped by strong demand and large marketing campaigns for its latest flagship model, the Galaxy S III, according to a Reuters poll.

Samsung and Apple have been neck-and-neck for several quarters in the battle to be the largest smartphone vendor, but the May launch of the new Samsung model created a clear gap between the two, the poll of 41 analysts showed.

Samsung is expected to have sold 50 million smartphones in the quarter, compared with Apple's forecast sales of 30.5 million iPhones.

"Samsung is expected to be the smartphone hero in the second quarter," said IDC analyst Francisco Jeronimo.

"We are also expecting to see the biggest smartphone volumes ever shipped from one single vendor in one quarter, driven by strong demand of the Galaxy portfolio, particularly the Galaxy S II and S III," he said.

Samsung is benefiting from its wide smartphone portfolio when competing against Apple, whose sales are dependent on launch schedules for the next versions of the iPhone.

In the overall cellphone market, when also including basic cellphones, Samsung ended Nokia's 14-year reign as the world's largest in the first quarter and is expected to stretch that lead.

Samsung is estimated to have sold 15.7 million more phones than Nokia in the second quarter, the poll showed. In the first quarter, it sold 3.4 million more phones than Nokia, according to Gartner.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/16/idINL6E8IG0FK20120716

Of course they sell more. they are the GM of smartphones. How many different models of smartphones do they currently sell? I'm surprised their lead is not MUCH larger. Compare that to two models in 3 different configurations. Not very impressive.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung sold 6.5M Galaxy S III smartphones in Q2 2012, analyst says