or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung sold 6.5M Galaxy S III smartphones in Q2 2012, analyst says

Samsung sold 6.5M Galaxy S III smartphones in Q2 2012, analyst says - Page 3

post #81 of 210

http://www.cultofmac.com/143684/35000-sign-petition-calling-for-apple-to-stop-worker-abuse-in-chinese-factories/

Just because apple does not own the company doesn't make them any less guilty. Apple is just as crappy as any other company.
post #82 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Samsung does not report sold numbers in there quarterly filings or ever. They will only report shipped numbers.
So pretty much these numbers are bs. Im sure they actually sold a bunch but not near the numbers there reporting here. Eventually if they sit in the warehouse long enough they will be sold on two for one sales and free giveaways and samsung will count those as legitimate sales which there not.
The only company in the industry who gives actual sales numbers is Apple. They never report shipped it is always "sold" numbers.
Lol samsung counts any phone sold after it leaves there hands no matter where it goes (to a warehouse shelf or retailer).

That is such a lame argument which gets trotted out all the time on here.

What do you think these retailers/distributors are doing with the phones? They ain't shoving up their ass. They're not on sale or return. The retailers/distributors are selling them on to customers otherwise they wouldn't keep buying them. Phone retailers don't keep piles and piles of stock - they buy them and sell them - then buy some more and sell them.

post #83 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I know what "revenue recognition" means.
However... the comment I was replying to was claiming that Samsung's products just sit in a warehouse... and they only get purchased by consumers after the price gets slashed.
That was what I was referring to.
There is this huge debate of "shipped vs sold" on these forums... and I don't know why.
Samsung has been selling mobile phones for decades... don't you think they know how many to produce to not have a bunch of stock leftover?
Factories make the phones... carriers have the phones in their stores... and customers take them home. I'm sick of the ignorance of people who say products are hung up somewhere in those first 2 stages...
Carrier stores have such limited stock in the first place... I can't imagine a store would still have any Q1 stock hanging around today. For the more popular phones... carrier stores don't have any in stock. You must order them. In that case... your new phone skips the carrier store inventory altogether and goes straight to your home.
I agree with you... I would love to have some more solid data about Samsung's numbers. But at the same time... Samsung keeps producing phones every quarter so someone must be buying them, right? Why would Samsung put more products into the channel if the previous supply hasn't moved? Why would any company?
We haven't heard about millions of phones shipped back to Samsung to be ground up and recycled... have we?

Blah blah blah. You, GG, and others keep making these claims about Samsung that Samsung itself, for some strange(!) reason, doesn't back up.

Give up guys. Go somewhere else -- the other tech forums, for instance -- where you can bullis**t your way through basic stuff like this.

post #84 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Ahh so Samsungs record profits last quarter means a negative margin? Do you actually read what you write? Brilliant.

Do you actually follow an argument or do you just make up shit when you fail to comprehend what someone is saying.

Solipsism mentioned nothing about Samsung's profits... ever.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #85 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Of course the Android OS has more phones in circulation....

You have no clue as to whether or not that is true.

If you do, I'd like to see a link for it.

post #86 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I imagine that it is.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #87 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Phone retailers don't keep piles and piles of stock - they buy them and sell them - then buy some more and sell them.

Or, they return them.

Hint: Net versus gross sales.

post #88 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I imagine that it is.

Sure, it's possible. I don't have any issues with that. In fact, they're welcome to their share. I could care less. After all, someone needs to serve the low end of the segment. It's just that everyone trots out these numbers with not one -- I repeat, not one -- providing audited net sales numbers for their handset sales.

The only company that provides this info every quarter is Apple.

I like to inhabit the world of audited facts for which you -- or someone in your company -- can be held accountable. It just riles me that people throw around estimates, forecasts, hunches, guesses and so forth as though they are facts.

post #89 of 210
Quote:

What "....legal documents from companies..."? Are you referring to third party companies, or Samsung?

I'll happily believe Samsung's legal documents. If you don't have any to link to, don't even bother.

C'mon, SolipsismX, you are really way better than that, and you know that.

I'm referring to legal documents as in SEC filings and quarterly reports. In that same vein we don't know how many iPhone 4Ses Apple sold last quarter, yet from every analyst we get reports that the iPhone 4S is number one this or that carrier without older iPhones still being popular yet being farther down the list. From that we assume that Apple's iPhone 4S outsells the other iPhone models. Do you need a specific statement from Apple saying the exact numbers of each model sold to know that is the case? I certainly don't. Using that same logic and same information I deduce that Samsung is dominating the Android market and see no reason to assume that they can't sell a half-dozen million units of a new phone that looks to be the best Android phone on the market.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #90 of 210
Quote:

Sure, it's possible. I don't have any issues with that. In fact, they're welcome to their share. I could care less. After all, someone needs to serve the low end of the segment. It's just that everyone trots out these numbers with not one -- I repeat, not one -- providing audited net sales numbers for their handset sales.

The only company that provides this info every quarter is Apple.

I like to inhabit the world of audited facts for which you -- or someone in your company -- can be held accountable. It just riles me that people throw around estimates, forecasts, hunches, guesses and so forth as though they are facts.

Hey, cut out the common sense. lol.gif

post #91 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Do you actually follow an argument or do you just make up shit when you fail to comprehend what someone is saying.

Solipsism mentioned nothing about Samsung's profits... ever.

Just because you do not understand a thread does not mean others do not. I could simply explain it too you but your babbling is entertaining, go on.
post #92 of 210
Quote:

Just because you do not understand a thread does not mean others do not. I could simply explain it too you but your babbling is entertaining, go on.

Thank you for proving my point.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #93 of 210
Quote:

Thank you for proving my point.

I have an iTissue if you need it.
post #94 of 210

Who cares?

post #95 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Who cares?

The individuals who directly equate their success to the success of the device in their pocket. Those with no sself esteem and require flashy, tech devices to prove their worth or they will feel tiny and unimportant.
post #96 of 210
Quote:

Or, they return them.

Hint: Net versus gross sales.

Return 6 million phones ?

C'mon man admit it - it's obviously a popular phone which is selling well whether anyone on here likes it or not.

I doubt many of these people would have bought an iPhone anyway as most Android users I know are Windows users who hate Apple products with a passion.

post #97 of 210
Quote:

C'mon man admit it - it's obviously a popular phone which is selling well whether anyone on here likes it or not.

I doubt many of these people would have bought an iPhone anyway as most Android users I know are Windows users who hate Apple products with a passion.

Most Android users I know are tech types and love all tech and do not hate Apple, they hate ignorant, apologetic Apple shIlls.
post #98 of 210
Quote:

Blah blah blah. You, GG, and others keep making these claims about Samsung that Samsung itself, for some strange(!) reason, doesn't back up.

Give up guys. Go somewhere else -- the other tech forums, for instance -- where you can bullis**t your way through basic stuff like this.

I'm smart enough to know that a company doesn't produce a bunch of products if they don't plan on selling them...

That applies to every company.

I don't need a list with the names and addresses of every person on the planet who bought a Samsung phone over the last 90 days.

But you can go on and believe that Samsung is outright lying with everything they say... or that they produce a bunch of phones with no intention to sell and instead shove them in a warehouse somewhere...

We're talking about billions of dollars in inventory here... don't be a fool :-)
post #99 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm referring to legal documents as in SEC filings and quarterly reports. In that same vein we don't know how many iPhone 4Ses Apple sold last quarter, yet from every analyst we get reports that the iPhone 4S is number one this or that carrier without older iPhones still being popular yet being farther down the list. From that we assume that Apple's iPhone 4S outsells the other iPhone models. Do you need a specific statement from Apple saying the exact numbers of each model sold to know that is the case? I certainly don't. Using that same logic and same information I deduce that Samsung is dominating the Android market and see no reason to assume that they can't sell a half-dozen million units of a new phone that looks to be the best Android phone on the market.

What SEC documents from Samsung are you referring to, and what do they report? I'll bet, none (at least none that you've looked at). Stop digging.

As to things at the level of "iPhone 4S or 3GS or whatever sales," I could give a hoot. I don't get into arguments or make assertions based on complete hypotheticals. I can, however, tell you quite confidently how many handsets Apple sells every quarter, and at what average price. That is huge. That is way more than anyone -- Samsung, HTC, Nokia, RIM, etc -- provides.

If you are happy engaging in a conversation with those who are equally blasé about such basic facts, good for you. Go ahead. I tend not to waste my time on conversations that are devoid of any facts whatsoever.

Please don't misunderstand: I have no issues if Samsung's sales were less than, equal to, or greater than that of Apple. I just don't make assertions as though I know whether any one of those plausible outcomes is a fact, when I have no facts. The reason is, that would be no different from my pulling, say, an EPS number for Samsung out of my hat.

Edited by anantksundaram - 7/12/12 at 7:17pm
post #100 of 210
Quote:

I'm smart enough to know that a company doesn't produce a bunch of products if they don't plan on selling them...

"Plan on selling them" is not the same as "selling them" (which is not the same as "shipping them').

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
I don't need a list with the names and addresses of every person on the planet who bought a Samsung phone over the last 90 days.

That is not what I asked for. Simply, it is for audited sales numbers. US companies are required to reports basic stuff like that if they believe is is material.

Quote:
But you can go on and believe that Samsung is outright lying with everything they say...

Please. I did not say that. In fact, how could they possibly be 'lying' when they've not said anything about what their sales are? All you have are estimates from third parties.

Quote:
... or that they produce a bunch of phones with no intention to sell and instead shove them in a warehouse somewhere...

I don't have any clue about that. Maybe they give two away for every one that someone buys, maybe they have fire sales..... I have no clue, and the more important point is, you don't either.

Quote:
.. don't be a fool :-)

Ah, the irony...

post #101 of 210

This data is hardly relevant given how the GS3 rolled out globally, and when Samsung's Q2 ended. They had something like 9 million pre-ordered when it was announced so I find these numbers to be off by a wide margin.  The (often wrong) analysts of course don't factor in iPhone sales covers the iPhone 3GS, 4 & 4S vs Samsungs GS3 which is a single model.  How about comparing the 4S vs GS3.

I actually tested out my co-workers GS3 on Verizon and I can say if Apple fails to show something impressive in October (or whenever they launch the next phone) the GS3 will continue to dominate in sales.  Its a very impressive phone, and if you wan't give a competitor the nod for bringing it to the game then you are hardly an open minded user of mobile technology.

My iPhone 4S was sold off (early) so I wouldn't be stuck with a Verizon model that would lose value faster than the Titantic at launch time so I am anxiously waiting for something real to arrive.

post #102 of 210
Quote:

Not 6 million, I am guessing. Perhaps 3 million? 2.5 million? 4.25 million? Do we know? Do you?

Btw, I've said repeatedly, I truly have no like nor dislike for whether Samsung products are 'selling well' or not. Good for Samsung if they are. I hope they are. (You can choose to believe that or not.) 

Yes, I do like Apple products with a passion. But I have absolutely no view on Samsung products since I have never used them. So I have no dislike for Samsung, since I have no clue about whether they are good or not. If anything, I wish them well! It's simply that I don't believe the numbers that are regularly trotted out by people like you, since they are based on surmise and estimates rather than actual facts.

post #103 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
You have to love GoogleGuy math.

And I thought GoogleGuy referred to me. I guess it doesn't. 

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #104 of 210
Has hell frozen over yet, because it's getting really hot in here.
post #105 of 210
Quote:

[ Remember TS when I pointed out a post where the person mentioned "hurt feelings" and I told you who it really was regardless of the alias... well, here's your proof ]

Or possibly you cry whine and moan so much, more than one person questions you regarding hurt feelings. Since you apparently have zero tech knowledge, if I was an alter ego (as you continue to cry whine and moan about) a simple ip check would prove other wise. So I Say it again, do you need an iTissue or maybe your nightly meds?
post #106 of 210
Quote:

…a simple ip check would prove other wise.

The implication here is that people can't change their IP, which is fallacy.

Oh, to clarify, right now I'm staying out of this. Just correcting a point.

Staying out in the sense that I'm not judging that. I WILL say to knock it off, though. Go ahead and insult each other all you want in PMs (and then… report the respective PMs because we don't want insults here at all…), but let's end it in this thread now, please.

post #107 of 210
Quote:

What SEC documents from Samsung are you referring to, and what do they report? I'll bet, none (at least none that you've looked at). Stop digging.

As to things at the level of "iPhone 4S or 3GS or whatever sales," I could give a hoot. I don't get into arguments or make assertions based on complete hypotheticals. I can, however, tell you quite confidently how many handsets Apple sells every quarter, and at what average price. That is huge. That is way more than anyone -- Samsung, HTC, Nokia, RIM, etc -- provides.

If you are happy engaging in a conversation with those who are equally blasé about such basic facts, good for you. Go ahead. I tend not to waste my time on conversations that are devoid of any facts whatsoever.

Please don't misunderstand: I have no issues if Samsung's sales were less than, equal to, or greater than that of Apple. I just don't make assertions as though I know whether any one of those plausible outcomes is a fact, when I have no facts. The reason is, that would be no different from my pulling, say, an EPS number for Samsung out of my hat.

1) I never said anything about Samsung's SEC filings. I used SEC filings and quarterly reports as examples for legal documents I'll believe. That's what the any is in any legal documents. If there is reason to challenge Samsung (or Apple's or anyone else's) reports I will, otherwise I'll take it as canon.

2) Do you den that Samsung is highly profitable in the handset market? Do you deny that Samsung is one of about two vendors (I think HTC is the only other known vendor in the black) making money outside of Apple?

3) Do you honestly think they are doing it by stuffing a channel quarter after quarter with an increasingly high number of units? Or by having nearly all their devices returned? Or by making profits on cheap dumb phones? I sure hope not! The only logical and rational answer is they are making money on their premium handsets. All the number seem to fit so why assume their quarterly earnings in that department are falsified. Regardless of how you feel about Samsung and Google's blatant stealing of Apple's IP Samsung is making a killing off their premium smartphones running Android. If you have a different theory on why they are so successful or how everyone in the industry believes their earnings reports then by all means present it but lopsided conspiracy theories are doing no one any good.

post #108 of 210
Quote:

If you do, I'd like to see a link for it.
I guess common sense isn't enough? Apparently, you'd also need proof to show that Windows machines out number Mac's?

I'm not going to do a Google search for your lazy ass. You can do that yourself and every single hit will show you the same thing. It's more than a 3 to 1 margin in favor of Android devices now. I don't need to post links for common knowledge... Well, common to anyone with an IQ above room temp I guess.
post #109 of 210
Quote:

The implication here is that people can't change their IP, which is fallacy.
Oh, to clarify, right now I'm staying out of this. Just correcting a point.
Staying out in the sense that I'm not judging that. I WILL say to knock it off, though. Go ahead and insult each other all you want in PMs (and then… report the respective PMs because we don't want insults here at all…), but let's end it in this thread now, please.

Glad to hear things are changing.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #110 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And I thought GoogleGuy referred to me. I guess it doesn't. 
Nah. He's just another iGuy with Apple approved knee pads to suck the kool-aid right from the tap. If the data doesn't fit the arguement, the data will get altered so it does. Or just make crap up to show Apple in the best possible light.

I have a bunch of Apple products and when it comes to PC's, only a Mac will do for me. But that's an opinion formed after nearly 3 decades of pc use. When it comes to mobile electronics, think for yourself. Don't believe the propoganda. If that means an iDevice, fine. But don't try to make it seem as though it is the only option for everyone or that other companies aren't successful.
post #111 of 210
Quote:

Now, considering that the SIII has such a large screen and a quad core processor as well as being open and all the fandroids are so eager to point out that those are life and death features that no phone could possilby do without, how do you explain those figures?

Some SIII's have dual core processors.

Nope, no fragmentation here, nosiree Bob.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #112 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Some SIII's have dual core processors.

Whoa, wh… "some"? lol.gif

Are they called the same model? Are people aware of these differences?

post #113 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I never said anything about Samsung's SEC filings. I used SEC filings and quarterly reports as examples for legal documents I'll believe. That's what the any is in any legal documents. If there is reason to challenge Samsung (or Apple's or anyone else's) reports I will, otherwise I'll take it as canon.

Then, all I am saying is that, unlike Apple, there are no SEC filing from Samsung that tell us how many handsets they sell and at what average price. Without that info, I don't what their market share it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
2) Do you den that Samsung is highly profitable in the handset market? Do you deny that Samsung is one of about two vendors (I think HTC is the only other known vendor in the black) making money outside of Apple?

"Highly" profitable? What you mean by "highly"? As profitable as Apple? >0? If the former, no. If the latter, yes. As to whether they only one of a couple of vendors, I don't know. Let's stipulate they are profitable. So what? What does that tell you about whether they sold 6 million SIIIs or not?

Quote:

3) Do you honestly think they are doing it by stuffing a channel quarter after quarter with an increasingly high number of units? Or by having nearly all their devices returned? Or by making profits on cheap dumb phones? 

Again, I don't know. Nobody does. But I can guess, like all the fandroids do: their ASP is quite low, as is their profits. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and suggest that it does not cover its cost of capital. I can't prove that, but no one else can prove the opposite either.

Quote:
All the number seem to fit so why assume their quarterly earnings in that department are falsified. Regardless of how you feel about Samsung and Google's blatant stealing of Apple's IP Samsung is making a killing off their premium smartphones running Android. If you have a different theory on why they are so successful or how everyone in the industry believes their earnings reports then by all means present it but lopsided conspiracy theories are doing no one any good.

You really need to get a grip here. I have never claimed that Samsung is 'stealing' Apple's IP. You probably are confusing your own viewpoints on that issue with mine. I am still going with the flow on the judgments that are slowly piling up, and I'll form a view on that some day. But I don't have one (and have never claimed one).

Conspiracy theories? Please. There is no conspiracy. I am guessing that their net sales are probably not as good as everyone claims, which is likely the main reason they are not reporting actual numbers. They've got themselves in a bit of a bind, possibly. That is not to say they don't sell lots, or that they don't sell more than Apple does. They may. Or may not. I know I am sounding repetitive here, but all I am saying is that I have no clue, nor do you. If you want to keep operating on the premise that they sell a lot, and are highly profitable -- which, I  also keep saying, if true, that's wonderful -- that's totally fine. But I like to deal with facts, that's all.

post #114 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

I guess common sense isn't enough? Apparently, you'd also need proof to show that Windows machines out number Mac's?
I'm not going to do a Google search for your lazy ass. You can do that yourself and every single hit will show you the same thing. It's more than a 3 to 1 margin in favor of Android devices now. I don't need to post links for common knowledge... Well, common to anyone with an IQ above room temp I guess.

You are welcome to your "common sense." I like audited numbers.

If internet 'hits' were facts, Elvis would be living next door to me, and Michael Jackson would be dating him.

post #115 of 210
Quote:

I don't doubt that it's popular and will sell millons.

However, I have to question the sanity of a purchasing decision by someone whose main criterion is that they hate the competition. It must be really sad to be an Android fan and have no other reason to by your phone than "I hate Apple".

Quote:

You might ask HP about that wrt the Touchpad.

Or maybe RIM wrt their tablet (whatever the heck it was called - I can't keep all the 'iPad killers' straight.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #116 of 210
Quote:

Whoa, wh… "some"? lol.gif
Are they called the same model? Are people aware of these differences?

Here they are:-

http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?sQuickSearch=yes&sName=Galaxy+S+III

i9300, T999, I535, I747

post #117 of 210
Quote:

"Highly" profitable? What you mean by "highly"?

Billions a quarter falls into my "highly" category.

Quote:
You really need to get a grip here. I have never claimed that Samsung is 'stealing' Apple's IP. You probably are confusing your own viewpoints on that issue with mine. I am still going with the flow on the judgments that are slowly piling up, and I'll form a view on that some day. But I don't have one (and have never claimed one).

Whether Apple can prove it in a court of law is a different matter than if they have actually done it. I look at many of Samsung's products and there is no shadow of a doubt that their changes in design are a direct result from copying Apple.
Quote:
Conspiracy theories? Please. There is no conspiracy. I am guessing that their net sales are probably not as good as everyone claims, which is likely the main reason they are not reporting actual numbers. They've got themselves in a bit of a bind, possibly. That is not to say they don't sell lots, or that they don't sell more than Apple does. They may. Or may not. I know I am sounding repetitive here, but all I am saying is that I have no clue, nor do you. If you want to keep operating on the premise that they sell a lot, and are highly profitable -- which, I  also keep saying, if true, that's wonderful -- that's totally fine. But I like to deal with facts, that's all.

Samsung is highly profitable in the handset market. Even pro Apple sites like Daring Fireball and Asymco have stated it. Just because you can't get an exact number on one metric doesn't mean general figures and trends can't be deduced. I'm not sure why you are so anti-Samsung here. You're usually more objective, yet i don't once recall you claiming that we can't know if the iPhone 4S is successful because Apple doesn't break out iPhone model numbers.

post #118 of 210
Quote:

You have to love GoogleGuy math.
Let's assume that the iPhone sales were evenly divided between 3S, 4 and 4S. That means nearly 12 M of each - so each of them outsold the Galaxy SIII by two to one. Of course, it wasn't evenly split and the 4S outsold the other two by a large margin, so the difference between the 4S and the SIII was even greater.
Let's put it into perspective. The iPhone 4S sold 4 M units in its first weekend - and virtually every one ended up in customers' hands since they were in short supply. The SIII sold 6.5 M units in the first 2 months - and some of those (I don't know how large or small the number is) were in the channel.
Now, considering that the SIII has such a large screen and a quad core processor as well as being open and all the fandroids are so eager to point out that those are life and death features that no phone could possilby do without, how do you explain those figures?

Apparently you are the one in need a basic math lesson, so let me offer a helping hand.

First I will correct the odd way in which you calculate duration. When the S3 went on sale May 29th, and the quarter ended June 30th, that comes out to a duration of 33 days. 33 days does NOT equal "2 months" by any stretch of the imagination.

Second, lets correct the way in which you calculate rate and time. At 33 days, and 6.5M units, the S3 was shipping at an average rate of almost 200k phones per day during a PARTIAL release. Samsung would have shipped almost 18M S3 units at this rate if it had been available for the entire quarter (91*200k). Heck, this is the case without even taking into account the fact that it is just now being released into one of the largest consumer markets, the US! 

Third, lets correct the way in which you calculate channel inventory. When a company is NOT able to keep up with demand, as is the case with the S3, this means that shipped units go straight to the consumer. Do you really think that the US market has been delayed with excess inventory in the channel? The correct answer is NO.

post #119 of 210
Quote:

"Plan on selling them" is not the same as "selling them" (which is not the same as "shipping them').
That is not what I asked for. Simply, it is for audited sales numbers. US companies are required to reports basic stuff like that if they believe is is material.
Please. I did not say that. In fact, how could they possibly be 'lying' when they've not said anything about what their sales are? All you have are estimates from third parties.
I don't have any clue about that. Maybe they give two away for every one that someone buys, maybe they have fire sales..... I have no clue, and the more important point is, you don't either.
Ah, the irony...

My point was.... every quarter Samsung produces new phones. If there were millions of unsold phones sitting around in carrier stores... the stores wouldn't order any more from Samsung. It's like that in every retail business. Samsung keeps "shipping" the phones to stores... so I tend to believe they are also "selling" those phones to consumers. Have you ever seen a Samsung phone out on the street? I've seen plenty.

That's why I have a hard time believing this notion of "Samsung ships but never sells..."

And it's also hard to believe that a brand new flagship phone like the GSIII is having difficulty being sold.

Isn't Samsung a Korean company? Maybe they don't have to report that stuff.

Why doesn't Amazon provide Kindle sales numbers? They're a US company. Can the SEC sue Amazon for not providing numbers?

Maybe Samsung... like Amazon... is afraid to publish those results?

I know you like audited numbers... but Samsung does not provide end-user sales.

That's neither good nor bad... it's just what they do.

We must rely on 3rd party analysts... and they all say Samsung is selling very well. So..... yeah.
post #120 of 210
Quote:

But you can go on and believe that Samsung is outright lying with everything they say... or that they produce a bunch of phones with no intention to sell and instead shove them in a warehouse somewhere...
We're talking about billions of dollars in inventory here... don't be a fool :-)

Of course they plan on selling them... but the corpses of dead gadgets litter the landscape.  Xoom, Touchpad, Playbook, Galaxy Tab v1.

... and I would never ever put it past Samsung to inflate its numbers.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung sold 6.5M Galaxy S III smartphones in Q2 2012, analyst says