or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nielsen: Android growth outpaces iOS in U.S. amid smartphone adoption boom

Nielsen: Android growth outpaces iOS in U.S. amid smartphone adoption boom - Page 2

post #41 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I have a N9 (same design as the Lumia) and in my opinion it doesn't feel cheap at all. It's feel quite solid in the hand and it's a great simple design.

Which Lumia?

610, 710, 800 or 900?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #42 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The Symbian based Nokia 808 PureView, with the 41 Megapixel looks interesting.

It was released last month.

There are still a lot of low end Symbian phones available, just not in the US.

I agree but given Nokia's financial problems and their partnership with MS how long before they kill off Symbian phones altogether.

post #43 of 133
Quote:

Which Lumia?

610, 710, 800 or 900?

800 but you already knew that didn't you... The 900 is the same basic design but bigger.

post #44 of 133

Frankly, this seems like more of a problem for Microsoft than Apple. People are perfectly happy with Android as the iPhone alternative, for whatever reason they choose (cost, "openness," anti-appleness, etc). It's going to take something special to drag them away to the msPhone.

post #45 of 133
Quote:

Which Lumia?

610, 710, 800 or 900?

The display size is about halfway between the Nokia 800 and Nokia 900 of the same body design. It's poly-carbornate, which is technically plastic, but it's not a cheap plastic. It's like comparing Apple's poly-carb products to the standard PC plastic cases. It's not as dense feeling as the iPhone, which admittedly feels solid, but It's a solid phone. I'm quite a fan of Nokia's design and MS's WinPh7.x OS. Not enough to switch from the iPhone and iOS but enough to say that if I couldn't choose the iPhone I'd definitely go with a Lumia 800.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #46 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

SIII (which sold a whopping 6 M units during a time period when Apple probably sold 35-40 M units. In the segment where Apple chooses to compete, they're the clear leader.

Apple competes in all smartphone segments - high end, midrange and Free.  Why do you talk like Apple is in only the high end?

post #47 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brother 84 View Post

pretty awkward to use with one hand. Most of all Android OS sucks when you've used an iPhone. 

Apple did a lot of testing and they found that the 3.5 inch screen is optimal for the user experience.  Otherwise, you need to contort your thumb to reach the upper left part of the screen.

post #48 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Ok. How is this news?
When you flood the market with Android flotsam and jetsam this is what happens.

Elitist, much?

post #49 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaFighting View Post

Elitist, much?

If he is, so what? What's your point? lol.gif

post #50 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Apple competes in all smartphone segments - high end, midrange and Free.  Why do you talk like Apple is in only the high end?

We've had this debate many times on here. Apple only really competes in the "contract" segment of the market - ie if you buy an iPhone on contract - probably because it's the most profitable segment.

It doesn't compete in the Pre-Paid or Pay As You Go (PAYG) market which is very popular outside the US. I know things are very different in the US.

You can buy the iPhone on PAYG in the UK but it's way too expensive to be a player in that segment.

post #51 of 133

It should be Electronic paperweight's growth outpace iOS'

Most of Android phones are feature phones, how are Android and iOS comparable?

Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
post #52 of 133

Really happy with my Galaxy Nexus w/ Jelly Bean.

Can't wait to see how the next Nexus and the next iPhone compare

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

post #53 of 133
The funny thing about all these surveys that claim high market share numbers for Amdroid is that possible corroborating evidence and sightings don't support the numbers claimed.
post #54 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Most of Android phones are feature phones, how are Android and iOS comparable?

If it's running Android it's a smartphone. There's no arguing that.

But yes, many Android phone have low end hardware which is why you can pick them up for so cheap and use them on prepaid carriers or let them be first smartphones for kids.

I don't see the issue with consumer choice. And obviously consumers are choosing Android.

post #55 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

It's good to know that you think netbooks, tablets, media appliances,set top boxes, eReaders, PMPs, handheld game consoles, home phones (cordless landlines), and ski goggles, and watches are smartphones.

post #56 of 133

<sigh> It's so tiring how people (everybody) discuss this issue.

The only thing I want to know is this one simple thing.... How many copies of Apple iOS have been sold? That's it.  Each copy of iOS sells for between $199 and $830 (US) per copy. How many copies are out there?

Then you can tell me how many copies of Android 4.0 have been sold (devices running versions before are dead units)

post #57 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Because Apple doesn't compete on the very low end ($99 prepaid phones, for example). Apple's cheapest phone is free with a 2 year contract - which means that it still costs a lot of money.

OTOH, Android have plenty of feature phones - where Apple has nothing.
Quote:

Sure there is. I posted a number of links the last time this topic came up. There are quite a few Android phones where the manufacturer and/or carrier call them feature phones.
Quote:

But yes, many Android phone have low end hardware which is why you can pick them up for so cheap and use them on prepaid carriers or let them be first smartphones for kids.

I don't see the issue with consumer choice. And obviously consumers are choosing Android.

Considering that the larger number of phones sold are cheap feature phones or very low end smartphones, that's not surprising.

At the high end, you have 6 M Galaxy SIII phones sold in the first quarter - compared to 4 M iPhone 4S phones on the first weekend and somewhere around 20 M per quarter (roughly half of all Apple iPhone sales by my estimate). In fact, there's no Android phone that outsells the iPhone 4S.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #58 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrayson98 View Post

Wow.  RIMM is not going to make it through 2012.  

And Windows Phone?

Nearly 2 years on the market. Hundreds of millions of dollars in marketing. Aggressive, public promo campaign By Nokia. Lots of bluster and chest-thumping from Microstupid.

Result?

1.3%.

After ALL THAT.
post #59 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Ok. How is this news?
When you flood the market with Android flotsam and jetsam this is what happens.

1M activations PER SECOND.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #60 of 133
I switched from iPhone to Galaxy 2. Great phone, easy to use.
Initiallly I just thought I'd try it and return it but it was so much better than the iPhone that it's a keeper.
post #61 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

1M activations PER SECOND.

According to Google, the same Google who lied to users when they told them they weren't being tracked in Safari, the same Google who lied to regulators about how much data their Street View spy program was collecting and that it was "inadvertent", the same Google who claimed they were 100% in support of net neutrality while they were conspiring behind the scenes with Verizon to kill it, and so on, and so on.

When hasn't Google lied?
post #62 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

Initiallly I just thought I'd try it and return it but it was so much better than the iPhone that it's a keeper.

Really, Ms. Android user? Tell us more! We're willing to forgo logic and our established systems to just… jump into Android regardless of its utility in our–I can't do this; I'm sorry…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #63 of 133
Quote:

Did Samsung give you one as part of your job?

World English Dictionary
astroturfing  (ˈæstrəʊˌtɜːfɪŋ) 

— n

a PR tactic used in politics and advertising in which actors are paid to display overt and apparently spontaneous grassroots support for 

particular product, policy, or event.

[C21: from Astroturf the artificial grass, as this is artificial grassroots support]

'astroturfer

— n

Source

Edited by hill60 - 7/12/12 at 9:40pm
post #64 of 133
Quote:

OK. Now try it *without* the anecdote.

Here. Let me try.

I switched from [insert phone name.] Great phone, easy to use.
Initiallly I just thought I'd try it and return it but it was so much better than the [insert phone name] that it's a keeper.

Now what?
post #65 of 133
Quote:

.... In fact, there's no Android phone that outsells the iPhone 4S.

Why is that so important to you?

What will you do if/when this is not the case anymore? Suicide?

post #66 of 133

S3 wins the day!

Keep the hate and racism coming, isheep!

post #67 of 133
Quote:

But even THAT isn't the real issue. The real issue is that I've used Android phones and they're garbage. Slow, choppy performance, OS fragmentation, crappy apps, and so on. And of all the Android phones that my family has owned, there was only one that was ever upgradeable (Android 2.2 to 2.3).

F.U.D. ... and very little else.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #68 of 133
Quote:

Why is that so important to you?

What will you do if/when this is not the case anymore? Suicide?

No, he will come up with some witty car analogy that will explain everything perfectly to you :)

post #69 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

F.U.D. ... and very little else.

You expected anything else from that poster? 

post #70 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The display size is about halfway between the Nokia 800 and Nokia 900 of the same body design. It's poly-carbornate, which is technically plastic, but it's not a cheap plastic. It's like comparing Apple's poly-carb products to the standard PC plastic cases. It's not as dense feeling as the iPhone, which admittedly feels solid, but It's a solid phone. I'm quite a fan of Nokia's design and MS's WinPh7.x OS. Not enough to switch from the iPhone and iOS but enough to say that if I couldn't choose the iPhone I'd definitely go with a Lumia 800.

Yes its a great design although I prefer the N9 because of Meego over Windows but its dead in the water. Real shame as Nokia might have had something there.

post #71 of 133
IMO, you lost all credibility when you said all android phones are garbage. Even as an owner of all apple products, I will admit there are some great android phones out there. The HTC one X, GS3, Rzor Maxx are all great phones. Even the Nexus is a pretty good phone. You can an apple fan and honest at the same time.
post #72 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

No, he will come up with some witty car analogy that will explain everything perfectly to you :)

Seriously.

I just started to read this forum a couple of days ago and at first I thought the fanboyism was quite funny -- but now, I am quite disturbed by the blind fanaticism, twisting of reality, and brainwashing.

I really does feel like cult. Scary.

And all the over mobile phones? I don't even remember what brand my previous phone was.

Fortunately, for most iPhone users their phone is just a phone.

Scary:

Scary.

post #73 of 133
Quote:

S3 wins the day!

... [boring video] ...

Most Korean girls are fake, they perform heavy plastic surgery. Just like plastic S3.

post #74 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Most Korean girls are fake, they perform heavy plastic surgery.

Haha! Like I said, keep the hate and racism coming...

post #75 of 133
Quote:

Haha! Like I said, keep the hate and racism coming...

No, actually I like Korean thigh than European, but the problem is their face is fake.

post #76 of 133
Quote:

Seriously.

I just started to read this forum a couple of days ago and at first I thought the fanboyism was quite funny -- but now, I am quite disturbed by the blind fanaticism, twisting of reality, and brainwashing.

I really does feel like cult. Scary.

And all the over mobile phones? I don't even remember what brand my previous phone was.

Fortunately, for most iPhone users their phone is just a phone.

Scary:

Scary.

Yes it is quite scary and bordering on psychotic. There are some quite decent posters and only a few nutjobs though.

They haven't quite realised that its ok to like Apple and other brands at the same time.

post #77 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

IMO, you lost all credibility when you said all android phones are garbage. Even as an owner of all apple products, I will admit there are some great android phones out there. The HTC one X, GS3, Rzor Maxx are all great phones. Even the Nexus is a pretty good phone. You can an apple fan and honest at the same time.

Thats assuming that poster had any to begin with...

post #78 of 133
Quote:

S3 wins the day!

Baiting. (just another infraction and you should get banned)
Quote:

Hypocrisy and a personal attack. (just another infraction and you should get banned)

Quote:
This is just you trying to bait some more but I love this music video. It's fun.

post #79 of 133
Quote:

S3 wins the day!

W-a-a-a-l-l-l, now I'm totally convinced of the superiority of the Samsung Galaxy. Yes sir! Apple needs to step up their game and get a chorus of young dancers and singers. Clearly Apple is way behind in this critical technological area. Get your groove on, Apple. iPHONE THE MUSICAL! Now! Heck, even Microsoft has a famous dancer on their team ;-D  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc4MzqBFxZE).

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #80 of 133

Slightly off-topic, but I do wonder what would have happened to Apple if Jobs hadn't realised that chasing marketshare was nowhere near as important as chasing profits.

I have no doubt at all that Android has a greater marketshare (though I don't seem to see as many), and I have no doubt this will continue.

But what will prevent the Android market from reaching the same 'no profits/no innovation/race to the bottom' that afflicted the PC market?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Nielsen: Android growth outpaces iOS in U.S. amid smartphone adoption boom
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nielsen: Android growth outpaces iOS in U.S. amid smartphone adoption boom