or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What Romney Believes ~ Just FYI
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Romney Believes ~ Just FYI - Page 3

post #81 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

I don't like to see my government endorsing any of that shit, however.

 

I agree with you on this.

 

The government (not your government) should be neutral to these beliefs. It also should not do anything the infringes upon the right of people to practice in accordance with their beliefs unless these practices somehow infringe on the basic rights of life, liberty and property of citizens which the government is charged with protecting. For example, religious beliefs that involved virgin sacrifices might be a place where the government might have a place to step in assuming the virgins being sacrificed have not voluntarily agreed to be sacrificed.

 

In fact, in my view, this is the limit of the state's responsibility: protecting the basic rights of life, liberty and property of the people in its geographical scope. That's it. anything beyond this is, in my view, an inappropriate expansion of the power and role and responsibility of the state.

 

What's interesting is that I do not see any scientific basis for you to hold this position. I mean, you're simply expression your wishes, opinions and values. You are expressing what ought to happen (or not). Tell me, what is the scientific basis for this?


Edited by MJ1970 - 7/23/12 at 11:23am

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #82 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

I am worried when I see people who sincerely and strongly believe in stuff for which there is scant or no evidence.  I am worried that they may gain power in society beyond what they already have.

 

Then we agree. Mere belief harms nobody. Actions are what we should be concerned about.

 

You are worried that people who don't believe as you do will gain control of government and use it to force everyone else to do what they want. The real problem, then, is that government has such power in the first place.

 

Welcome to libertarianism.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #83 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

 

I agree with you on this.

 

The government (not your government) should be neutral to these beliefs. It also should not do anything the infringes upon the right of people to practice in accordance with their beliefs unless these practices somehow infringe on the basic rights of life, liberty and property of citizens which the government is charged with protecting. For example, religious beliefs that involved virgin sacrifices might be a place where the government might have a place to step in assuming the virgins being sacrificed have not voluntarily agreed to be sacrificed.

 

In fact, in my view, this is the limit of the state's responsibility: protecting the basic rights of life, liberty and property of the people in its geographical scope. That's it. anything beyond this is, in my view, an inappropriate expansion of the power and role and responsibility of the state.

 

What's interesting is that I do not see any scientific basis for you to hold this position. I mean, you're simply expression your wishes, opinions and values. You are expressing what ought to happen (or not). Tell me, what is the scientific basis for this?

 

 

There is no scientific basis for political philosophy.  

post #84 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

 And yes, reason seems ot work better than faith as a method of discovering truth.

 

You seem to be suffering under the incorrect notion that faith and reason are polar opposites, even mutually exclusive to one another.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

OK, there is scant evidence, most of which has been soundly disproven.

 

Of course you are wrong. But I suspect there's little I'd be able to say to change your mind. What with you being a "man of reason" and all that. lol.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

And many dictionaries report that "faith" is used to mean belief despite lack  of evidence.

 

But this does not mean no evidence or even scant evidence. People (including yourself) live their lives every single day relying, to varying degrees, on faith in various things. For some of those things there is much evidence so the amount of faith required is small, for other things there is less evidence so more faith is required.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #85 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

There is no scientific basis for political philosophy.  

 

So, therefore, what you think/wish/hope/want to happen with the government is simply your opinion. Right?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #86 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

 

The government is prohibited by law from "subscribing" to the "techniques" you describe.  Its representatives are not, however, prevented from expressing the beliefs of the people they represent.  The government cannot prevent the expression of the people.  The fact is that pushing your beliefs on others is EXACTLY what you seek to accomplish. 

 

 

 

If they do not use government land, government occasions and government power to express their crazed ideologies, I can live with that.

 

But I sincerely object to, for example, the President saying "God Bless America" during the State of the Union speech.   

post #87 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

If they do not use government land, government occasions and government power to express their crazed ideologies, I can live with that.

 

But I sincerely object to, for example, the President saying "God Bless America" during the State of the Union speech.   

 

This is just your opinion...your feeling about what ought to be (or not be). Who cares? Why should anyone adhere to what you think should (or shouldn't) be done?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #88 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

 

So, therefore, what you think/wish/hope/want to happen with the government is simply your opinion. Right?

I'm not sure what you are driving at.

 

I  believe that certain types of government are better than others.  I have no scientific proof.  It is a belief.  It is an opinion, given the lack of empirical proof.

 

So what?  does that mean I must respect people who throw virgins into a volcano as a means of making it rain?

post #89 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

 

This is just your opinion...your feeling about what ought to be (or not be). Who cares? Why should anyone adhere to what you think should (or shouldn't) be done?

 

 

the debate about what ought to be done could be based upon reason, or it could be based upon superstition.  For example, Kant proposed a system of ethics based upon reason, while others say that we should not murder based upon the command of their supernatural friend in some old book.

 

The two methods arrive in the same place.  But "God wants us to  kill the Commies" has no place in government.

post #90 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

I'm not sure what you are driving at.

 

I  believe that certain types of government are better than others.  I have no scientific proof.  It is a belief.  It is an opinion, given the lack of empirical proof.

 

So what?  does that mean I must respect people who throw virgins into a volcano as a means of making it rain?

 

You've spent the better part or your time in this thread mocking, ridiculing, dismissing and rejecting (and calling for others to do the same) people who have certain beliefs...faith in certain things, and then start declaring your own values, based on your own (admitted) beliefs and faith.

 

What make your belief (faith) more valid than any others?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #91 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

the debate about what ought to be done could be based upon reason, or it could be based upon superstition.  For example, Kant proposed a system of ethics based upon reason, while others say that we should not murder based upon the command of their supernatural friend in some old book.

 

The two methods arrive in the same place.  But "God wants us to  kill the Commies" has no place in government.

 

First, I don't see you offering any reasoned or rational basis for imposing what you want (based on your beliefs and faith) onto others.

 

You're simply telling us that some people believe and have faith in things which you find unbelievable, but then declare how the world should work according to your belief.

 

On what basis should your particular wishes be given any credence? In what way are they based on rationality and reason?

 

 

Second, I'm not sure who you're quoting about God wanting us to kill commies.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #92 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

 

You've spent the better part or your time in this thread mocking, ridiculing, dismissing and rejecting (and calling for others to do the same) people who have certain beliefs...faith in certain things, and then start declaring your own values, based on your own (admitted) beliefs and faith.

 

What make your belief (faith) more valid than any others?

 

 

Faith and belief are not the same thing.  And faith in the supernatural is not the same as faith in other areas.  

 

And  besides, I don't have a big difference of opinion between those who have faith in aliens (a physically provable proposition)  and those who have faith in supernatural forces which can never, by definition, be detected.

post #93 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

 

 

On what basis should your particular wishes be given any credence?

 

 

 

They are the supreme law of the land, enshrined in the Constitution.  Our country was founded upon my particular  wishes (among  others).

post #94 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Faith and belief are not the same thing.  And faith in the supernatural is not the same as faith in other areas.

 

Oh goodie! We have someone willing to twist themselves into semantic knots in order to be able a) be "right", and b) cling to their own beliefs/faith while rejecting others.

 

 

But you still have not told us what reasoned and rational basis we ought to submit to your belief in what the government ought (or ought not) do.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #95 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

They are the supreme law of the land, enshrined in the Constitution.  Our country was founded upon my particular  wishes (among  others).

 

So? What is the rational and reasoned basis for submitting to this (assuming that your interpretations of it are even correct)?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #96 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

 

 

If they do not use government land, government occasions and government power to express their crazed ideologies, I can live with that.

 

But I sincerely object to, for example, the President saying "God Bless America" during the State of the Union speech.   

 

Wow.  Just...wow.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #97 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

 

 

If they do not use government land, government occasions and government power to express their crazed ideologies, I can live with that.

 

But I sincerely object to, for example, the President saying "God Bless America" during the State of the Union speech.   

 

Wow.  Just...wow.  

Nice full of insight reply.lol.gif

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #98 of 152

Why Dave?
 

post #99 of 152

Most religious mythos seems kind of ridiculous.  So, when you make fun of one religion's mythos, basically you make fun of all religious mythos.  Just saying.

Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #100 of 152
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Most religious mythos seems kind of ridiculous.  So, when you make fun of one religion's mythos, basically you make fun of all religious mythos.  Just saying.

I do find the Mormon mythology somewhat bizarre, but my point was to ensure on this forum at least people are aware of the details of what Mitt Romney is supposed to believe as a Mormon.

As to whether I am making fun of it, I try not to, but sometimes these are the same people that think global warming is a made-up thing.

Of course, you can believe whatever you want, that's cool, but we should be educated on what exactly people believe and not just say "Mormon Mormon Mormon" without knowing what exactly that means.
post #101 of 152

Mormon someone told me is a type of cultist religion years ago.
 

post #102 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Nice full of insight reply.lol.gif

 

That was my honest reaction.  He actually said he finds the POTUS saying "God Bless America" to be offensive.  Honestly, how is your reaction not the name?  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post


I do find the Mormon mythology somewhat bizarre, but my point was to ensure on this forum at least people are aware of the details of what Mitt Romney is supposed to believe as a Mormon.
As to whether I am making fun of it, I try not to, but sometimes these are the same people that think global warming is a made-up thing.
Of course, you can believe whatever you want, that's cool, but we should be educated on what exactly people believe and not just say "Mormon Mormon Mormon" without knowing what exactly that means.

 

1.  Referring to Mormon beliefs as "mythology" is an attack on their faith.  Do you believe all religions practice "mythology?"  

 

2.  Ah, the non-sequitur.  Please show evidence for your assertion.  While you're at it, make a concise case that global warming is actually occurring.  

 

3.  It's pretty clear you don't know what it means.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Mormon someone told me is a type of cultist religion years ago.
 

 

When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not, hmmm?  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #103 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Nice full of insight reply.lol.gif

 

That was my honest reaction.  He actually said he finds the POTUS saying "God Bless America" to be offensive.  Honestly, how is your reaction not the name?  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post


I do find the Mormon mythology somewhat bizarre, but my point was to ensure on this forum at least people are aware of the details of what Mitt Romney is supposed to believe as a Mormon.
As to whether I am making fun of it, I try not to, but sometimes these are the same people that think global warming is a made-up thing.
Of course, you can believe whatever you want, that's cool, but we should be educated on what exactly people believe and not just say "Mormon Mormon Mormon" without knowing what exactly that means.

 

1.  Referring to Mormon beliefs as "mythology" is an attack on their faith.  Do you believe all religions practice "mythology?"  

 

2.  Ah, the non-sequitur.  Please show evidence for your assertion.  While you're at it, make a concise case that global warming is actually occurring.  

 

3.  It's pretty clear you don't know what it means.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Mormon someone told me is a type of cultist religion years ago.
 

 

When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not, hmmm?  

 

Quote:

That was my honest reaction

You know I really believe you!lol.gif

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #104 of 152
Morminism is just really bad Christian fan fiction. It's 50 Shades of Grey to Christianity's Twilight. The original is poorly written and worshipped by twits, too.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #105 of 152

No one ever reached 900 years old.This is all a bunch of crap!
 

post #106 of 152

You guys who are bagging on religion, especially the same religion as our current president clearly are doing so because you are racist.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #107 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You guys who are bagging on religion, especially the same religion as our current president clearly are doing so because you are racist.

What gave you that impression? However perhaps you're feeling a little guilty yourself?


Edited by jimmac - 7/28/12 at 4:17pm
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #108 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

 

You know I really believe you!lol.gif

 

Laugh it up.  Now, answer my question:  Do you have you have a problem with someone who is offended when the POTUS says "God Bless America?"

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

No one ever reached 900 years old.This is all a bunch of crap!
 

 

Put your helmet back on and take your meds.  It's a Star Wars reference.  Jesus Christ.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

What gave you that impression? However perhaps you're feeling a little guilty yourself?

 

Try and keep up, jimmac.  He's referencing those who claim others are racist for opposing the President--for any reason.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #109 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

 

You know I really believe you!lol.gif

 

Laugh it up.  Now, answer my question:  Do you have you have a problem with someone who is offended when the POTUS says "God Bless America?"

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

No one ever reached 900 years old.This is all a bunch of crap!
 

 

Put your helmet back on and take your meds.  It's a Star Wars reference.  Jesus Christ.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

What gave you that impression? However perhaps you're feeling a little guilty yourself?

 

Try and keep up, jimmac.  He's referencing those who claim others are racist for opposing the President--for any reason.  

 

Quote:

Do you have you have a problem with someone who is offended when the POTUS says "God Bless America?"

Man! You really do have a tendency to major on the minor don't you? Not particularly. They all say that one. Some even say they're on a mission from God!lol.gif

 

 

Quote:

Try and keep up, jimmac. He's referencing those who claim others are racist for opposing the President--for any reason. 

Psst! I knew that SDW. It was a joke. I was being facetious.lol.gif


Edited by jimmac - 7/29/12 at 3:43pm
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #110 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Mormon someone told me is a type of cultist religion years ago.
 

 

lol.gif

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #111 of 152

I actually have two problems with god bless America.  First, the religious invocation really does have no place from someone acting in an official governmental capacity.  However, secondly, it's pretty fucking self-centered.  Why not the entire world?  Ya, go America but fuuuck everyone else!  Yay us!  Boo them!  Why not end every speech with, "May humans soon all live in peace with one another."?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #112 of 152
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

1.  Referring to Mormon beliefs as "mythology" is an attack on their faith.  Do you believe all religions practice "mythology?"

Huh? It's not an "attack" on anything (watching too much Faux News, perhaps?). All religions, I feel, have theological AND mythological aspects.

What I consider mythology are things like the burning bush, God in Kolob, Jesus coming down with clouds all around, aliens visiting Earth, etc. Whether you believe it or not, is your choice. But I consider it mythology. Just like the Norse, Roman and Greek Gods. Why should Christian, Muslim and Mormon Gods be seen differently?
post #113 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I actually have two problems with god bless America.  First, the religious invocation really does have no place from someone acting in an official governmental capacity.  However, secondly, it's pretty fucking self-centered.  Why not the entire world?  Ya, go America but fuuuck everyone else!  Yay us!  Boo them!  Why not end every speech with, "May humans soon all live in peace with one another."?

 

Disappointing response...but not surprising.  Thanks for sharing your opinion.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #114 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I actually have two problems with god bless America.  First, the religious invocation really does have no place from someone acting in an official governmental capacity.  However, secondly, it's pretty fucking self-centered.  Why not the entire world?  Ya, go America but fuuuck everyone else!  Yay us!  Boo them!  Why not end every speech with, "May humans soon all live in peace with one another."?

 

Disappointing response...but not surprising.  Thanks for sharing your opinion.  

And you yours SDW! Even when it's off topic!lol.gif

 

 

700

 

 

700

 

 

 

700


Edited by jimmac - 7/30/12 at 11:42am
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #115 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

And you yours SDW! Even when it's off topic!lol.gif

 

 

 

My post was not directed at you.  So please STFO of it.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #116 of 152

Oh gee, it looks like jimmac is resorting to argumentum de satirical image.

 

lol.gif

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #117 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Oh gee, it looks like jimmac is resorting to argumentum de satirical image.

 

lol.gif

 

But Mitt Romney is rich, MJ!  He's SO FREAKING RICH! 

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #118 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

But Mitt Romney is rich, MJ!  He's SO FREAKING RICH! 

 

I've heard that. But I don't believe it...I mean, I don't see the horns on his head and the forked tail from his backside...and he's not constantly walking around, foaming at the mouth saying "MONEY. MONEY. MONEY. Give me more money."


Edited by MJ1970 - 7/30/12 at 12:36pm

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #119 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

 

I've heard that. But I don't believe it...I mean, I don't see the horns on his head and the forked tail from his backside...and he's not constantly walking around, foaming at the mouth saying "MONEY. MONEY. MONEY. Give me more money."

 

He's a master of evil.  Not unlike...umm...SATAN!

 

700

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #120 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Oh gee, it looks like jimmac is resorting to argumentum de satirical image.

 

lol.gif

Hey! It's fun!lol.gif Besides I got the idea from them!

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What Romney Believes ~ Just FYI