or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Next-gen iPhone now in production, possible design change in tow

Rumor: Next-gen iPhone now in production, possible design change in tow - Page 3

post #81 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm wondering if I really want a larger iPhone. Perhaps a smaller iPhone, like really small and then have an iPad mini to do browsing and maps. With Siri you could conceivably have an iPhone like 50 mm square, even wrist style, that would do voice search everything and even FaceTime. Everything else would be better on an iPad mini anyway.

Dick Tracy wannabe are you?
post #82 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't think it's quite so clear. Some of the prototype pictures showed a one piece metal back with the top and bottom brushed and the middle section polished. That would make more sense than layering glass on top of the metal.

I'm basing my opinion on the shots of the inside of the back piece, where you can clearly see (IMO of course) that there are many rivet-looking attachment points, a different colour and type of material, and a clear demarkation line between the areas/parts.  

If the back was indeed unibody and made entirely out of aluminium, it wouldn't have any of that.  It would also be carved out of one piece and therefore the antennas at the top and bottom wouldn't work as they would be part of the back-plate.  

It would also mean that Apple made a single, unibody part and then "dressed it up" by making a big stripe across the middle of the back that doesn't even line up with the antenna separators, for no good reason other than decoration.  This would be "bad design 101" and not likely from Apple.

post #83 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Hopeful Apple realizes that hardware is as important as the operating software.

You think so -- they started with hardware in Steve's Mom's garage. Built the Apple II that was innovative and different than anything else that had come. Had the first affordable network hardware as well as software, invented Firewire for a faster interface (unfortunately lack of mass adoption made it more expensive), implemented the first ThunderBolt interface that has the ability to encompass all the connectivity standards with a single connector (along with Intel), introduced an iPhone like no one had seen before and everyone is trying to copy. Same with the iPad and the MacBook Air and countless other products many of which like the iSight camera, trackpad and screen resolution and quality that I have yet to see matched on another laptop or all-in-one desktop (iMac) and am not likely to see since the competitors are more interested in cutting price than maintaining.

I would state that Apple cares about the entire user experience which includes hardware and software but also things like the how manufacturing effects or environment, how recyclable the product is so that it does not leave a blight when an owner deciders it has outlived its usefulness to them. In short Apple realizes that it is important to look at a product from raw materials to how it can be used to do away with adding to the dump a nonrenewable resource.

I don't think you have to worry about Apples concern for the hardware -- to Apple the product consists of a blend of hardware and software which when combined make something much greater than the value of either part alone, that is why they control the entire ecosystem in regards to the products they deliver.
post #84 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm basing my opinion on the shots of the inside of the back piece, where you can clearly see (IMO of course) that there are many rivet-looking attachment points, a different colour and type of material, and a clear demarkation line between the areas/parts.  

If the back was indeed unibody and made entirely out of aluminium, it wouldn't have any of that.  It would also be carved out of one piece and therefore the antennas at the top and bottom wouldn't work as they would be part of the back-plate.  

It would also mean that Apple made a single, unibody part and then "dressed it up" by making a big stripe across the middle of the back that doesn't even line up with the antenna separators, for no good reason other than decoration.  This would be "bad design 101" and not likely from Apple.

I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over it. The other 'prototype' didn't have those attachment points. It was a one piece back with different shading rather than a glass cover.

Apple undoubtedly made a number of prototypes with different designs. Until we see some solid evidence (and this source doesn't have any), no one outside of Apple knows what's going on.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #85 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Oh gosh... I'm so sorry I'm and Android user guys.

I guess I'll throw my macbook away in shame.

Sounds like a bit of a troll speaking.

Nobody is trying to get you to toss the products you own. The consensus on this forum is that the iPhone and iPad (iOS inclusive) are superior. If you expect to post something here touting how much better an Android device is than previously mentioned products and expect a standing ovation you are delusional. I for one would say that you should keep your MacBook (of course that is up to you) and if you are satisfied with your android device then keep it also. Most here would just say that they have higher standards than you but nothing is stopping you from buying what you want.

Hell most here don't care if you use to cans with a bit of string but don't expect applause for your android nonsense.

BTW: Your view might be clearer if you stay away from the magic mushrooms -- I don't know about maroon ones but I know the inky purple ones tend to give you a decidedly different outlook on life not always based on reality.
post #86 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcrayon View Post

(Also tired of people saying that increasing the size of the iPhone is "catching up" to anything, as if there are no tradeoffs to a larger screen size, only benefits)

Are you saying that the existence of any tradeoff means that a product upgrade cannot possibly be "catching up"?

How does that work?

post #87 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Because they present compelling value propositions to consumers.  

But it doesn't. The phones often cost more than better made Apple and Nokia options (yes the Lumina is well made). 

post #88 of 129
Quote:

Um, Apple had an industrial designer reporting to the CEO. That should tell you all you need to know about the importance of hardware at Apple.
post #89 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

That would be welcome but sadly I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. We've had black/white/silver for the past 10 years now and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we still had the same colour scheme in another 10 years. Clearly Apple designers have no sense of fun anymore.

but iPods are available in colors - and many people want to have a replaceable case - that can take care of the daily knocks and scratches - surely for a phone thats where you get your vibrant colors?

post #90 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

but iPods are available in colors - and many people want to have a replaceable case - that can take care of the daily knocks and scratches - surely for a phone thats where you get your vibrant colors?

Oh, yeah. That's what people want. Replaceable parts.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #91 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, yeah. That's what people want. Replaceable parts.

what - mr global moderator? who said anything about replaceable parts- fact most people use a case with their iPhone - available in many colors.

I don't use one myself - I like the iColor, and don't like adding thickness

Edit - i meant a case of the type that already exist for all phones - surely you didn't think i meant Apple should sell some kind of skeleton and we add our own Enclosure

post #92 of 129
Quote:

Why?

Apple's form factors have been game changers.  They reinvent in order to improve.  

I'm struck (as you seem to be) by the number of folks who seem to want an exterior change just for the sake of change.  I would expect that any form factor changes by Apple will be to improve function, and not just to look nice.  Looking good will also be a design objective, but Apple goes for the form follows function thing, so I wouldn't expect change for the sake of change, without functionality improvements as the real reason for the changes.

post #93 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple is not leading the technological trend these days. Samsung and others are leading the trend by making 4.5 inch and 4.8 inch phones, which have large market demand. Apple is allowing its competitor to get away with rising sales.

Apple is also failing to "lead the technological trend" in making low cost, low margin, plasticky laptops with 15" screens at $299. Apple is allowing its competitors to get away with rising sales. But not rising margins.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #94 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Quote:

The party line of the "concerned troll". There are too many trolls here who are very subtle and contribute nothing to the discussions. Often by pretending to own Apple products and claiming their criticisms are those of a paying customer who wants their device improved.

Are you accusing DaHarder?  He posted pics.  He seems to enjoy having a wide variety of gear, including Apple stuff.  didn't he say he bought an iPad for each member of his family?

post #95 of 129
Quote:

what - mr global moderator?

I love that you think this has to do with anything. Keep 'em coming.
Quote:
who said anything about replaceable parts- fact most people use a case with their iPhone - available in many colors.

Indeed they do, but we're also talking about manufactured colors. The Dell situation is a stopgap between the two.

post #96 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The iPod was for many years completely untouchable, the best in it's class by far. I loved it.

The iPhone 3G was a worthy successor, a revelation in portable computing. It amazed me on a regular basis.

I liked my iPhone 4 a fair bit too, until iOS 5 slowed it down to a crawl and I saw the competition match and then surpass it.

I complain about Apple stuff because that's what I have and use. Android has a world of problems too, but different problems to iOS. Android has far superior hardware, and a generally better and more modern OS, but it's app selection is poorer, there's no equivalent for iTunes Match (Google Music is US only), there are no Android/Googe stores so no genius bar or equivalent, the choice of handsets means the eco system is a fragmented mess, the Google Play store has no TV shows or music (outside the US), Google TV is even worse than Apple TV, and Google's desktop strategy (Chrome OS) is a total joke.

So I'm no Android fanboy, far from it, I just want Apple to catch up in the areas where they've fallen behind.  I'm not a fanboy of anything, I have a Windows 7 PC, a Macbook, an Xbox, a PS3, a Roku, and a load of other Apple kit.

Huh? I have a 3GS and iOS 5 runs fine, certainly much, much faster than iOS 3.x on my previous iPhone. If it runs this well on a 3GS, I see no way it's slow on the higher-powered iPhone 4.

As for the competition, Android is dreadful. I didn't realize how bad it was till I helped a friend figure out how to use his new Samsung phone. The fonts are jarring, the UI inconsistent. It's not slow, but it feels stuttery, not smooth, and few apps are any good (though I concede there is plenty of junk in the App store).

Android is based on Java while iOS is based on Objective-C. Objective-C is closer to the metal and is simply a better, more performant development environment for mobile device development. The notion that Android is "modern" is ridiculous. Java is nearly as old as Objective-C.

Android's big thing are the big screens. I don't think they are a good idea, especially beyond 4", but the truth is that quite a few people do like size even beyond practicality. Probably a reflection of size issues elsewhere...

post #97 of 129
Quote:

Quote:

what - mr global moderator?
I love that you think this has to do with anything. Keep 'em coming.
Quote:
who said anything about replaceable parts- fact most people use a case with their iPhone - available in many colors.
Indeed they do, but we're also talking about manufactured colors. The Dell situation is a stopgap between the two.

Glad you love it - "keep em coming" why has there already been more than one?

and if global moderator didn;t have to do with anything, why is it bold underneath your avatar?

My simple point, was that if you want your phone in all sorts of colors, buy a case - there are beneficial side effects of doing so - 

post #98 of 129
Quote:

Yeah, because it's not like Apple ever pays any attention to hardware, right? It's not like they're universally regarded as having the best desktops, laptops, ultrabooks, tablets, and phones in the industry or anything. 

post #99 of 129
A 747 will hold about 6-700k iPhones assuming minimal extra crate packaging. That is about two days production. As far as I know, they are actually shipped in MD-11's and 777's though.

A pilot for a cargo company could conceivably know that there will be extra freighter flight starting within two months from HKG or CAN, as these resources need to be allocated well in advance. Likewise, if there are multiple charter freight flights out of those airports starting in August and ending in October, one could reasonably make assumptions...
post #100 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

They've made a lot of mis-steps lately it's true, and it's right to vent about them because I know they can be better.
There is always room for improvement, however not everyone would see a larger iPhone as an improvement.
Quote:
 They've squandered their lead in smart phones by failing to innovate, and in some ways iOS 6 is a big step backwards - the lack of the superb Google Maps with street view and very in depth local information is a massive, completely insane mis-step.
Taking Google Maps off the system is one of the smartest things they have done recently. You shouldn't base your points on things you clearly don't understand.
Quote:
 Maps is surely one of the top three most used features in a smart phone, and Apple have willingly crippled the iPhone 5, and anyone foolish enough to 'upgrade' with a vastly inferior mapping product. 
I know you live on an island but you really should find something else to smoke beside turtle shells.
Quote:

The lack of a modern screen size for the iPhone is also a major issue. I use public transport a fair bit and can see trends in phones change over time - the British public have gone from dumb phones, to iPhones, to Blackberrys (bizarre I know, but true in my experience) to large screen Android phones. iPhones are still a common sight, but far less than they used to be.  It's impossible to know what the causes for this are, and there are most likely several, but given the way the likes of the Galaxy phones sell it's hard to imagine that screen size isn't a major draw.
For along time I've said Apple needs various size of iPhones, on this point there is little debate. The problem is unless you canvass the users you really don't know what is going on. For example Blackberrys used to be forced upon users by corporations.
Quote:

Then there's the skeumorphic design, which is beyond hideous. Whoever is green lighting these ghastly designs needs to be given a new job at Apple, perhaps making the tea or cleaning the loos.
A widely copied design?
Quote:
I've owned and used Apple products for many, many years, but they're being eaten alive by Google right now and that doesn't need to be the case.

This is hardly the case, everything indicates strong sales against a wide array of Android based products.
post #101 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Android does have a bigger market share, but apple makes more money & seems to have a better business model, its one of those things, it will sort its self out, people will buy what they want.

The new iPhone that's hopefully coming out in the next few months, will either look the same as the old one...or it will look different, these random rumor articles are pointless. 

The only reason why Android has a bigger market share, is because the market has been flooded with Android devices.  Just because the market has been flooded doesn't make it the superior mobile OS.  The "market share" doesn't take into consideration how many different versions of Android (fragmentation), how many people are using the latest or can even upgrade to the latest version (now Jelly Bean), or how many good apps are out there that can run on all those Android devices. 

This is the advantage the iPhone has.  The latest iOS will run on most of the existing iPhones out there, and most people can upgrade to the latest version with little problem.  What the real report should be about is how much market share does any single iPhone have compared any SINGLE Android device.  This is why Apple has a bigger slice of the revenue pie because it isn't being split up between HTC, Samsung, Google, Motorola, etc.

The media really drives me nuts when they report generic stuff like "market share" without qualifying the parameters of the report.

Most of the time, the only reason why the Android devices are more popular (from talking to people I know around where I live), is that they are cheaper to obtain than the iPhone is. These are not people that care about an "open" mobile OS, or being able to hack their phones or even code for them.  Just regular people that want a device to do what they want it to do, when they want it to do it, as cheaply as they can get.  However most people (especially where I work) either have always had an iPhone, or have switched to one after using an Android device for a while.  The user experience is what made them switch, and every single one of them has been happier with their iPhone than their previous Android device.  So while more Android devices may have been sold over all, I would be curious to find out what the actual numbers are for retention of Android devices compared to iOS devices.

post #102 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertieBig View Post

I also use public transport in the UK daily, and I don't see the tends you do.
I see all the users of public transportation here and have to wonder if there are that many Apple users out there that don't have a decent job? Further does voyeuring you fellow riders really tell us anything at all about the rest of the world.
Quote:

The overwhelming trend is the explosion of smartphone ownership. From two years ago to now, almost all the dumb phones have been replaced with smartphones. A candy bar Nokia is a rare sight. In the pub, the people with dumb phones get teased now, not smartphone owners.
That does sound very British! I mean really do you really give a damn about what phone your friends use? Seems awfull simpe minded to me.
Quote:
I see a few big screen Android phones around, but there are many, many more iPhones.
And, I don't recognise the dumb phone to iPhone to Blackberry to Andriod trend you mention. Some kids and some suits are sticking to Blackberry, while everyone else is using an iPhone or an Android phone (I've only ever seen one Lumia in the wild). Of the Andriod phones, only a few I see are the big screen type. They're beautiful, but awkward to use for most (they need two hands for basic stuff), and so won't ever form the majority.

People that have been around for awhile distinctly remember the first cell phones and the general trend to smaller and smaller devices. This was distinctly the case for years as cell phones where huge with very limited functionality. Manufactures spent years condensing the electronics, so each generation of cell phones go smaller and smaller. It was more or less a race.

Now the functionality is there in basic devices and smart phones are a reality other factors become points of sale. Apples problem is that one size fits all seldom satisfies all. In my mind it is about time for apple to expand the line up of phone models to address this. It isn't a question of the competition but rather the importance of addressing customer needs.
post #103 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Sounds like a bit of a troll speaking.
Nobody is trying to get you to toss the products you own. The consensus on this forum is that the iPhone and iPad (iOS inclusive) are superior. If you expect to post something here touting how much better an Android device is than previously mentioned products and expect a standing ovation you are delusional. I for one would say that you should keep your MacBook (of course that is up to you) and if you are satisfied with your android device then keep it also. Most here would just say that they have higher standards than you but nothing is stopping you from buying what you want.
Hell most here don't care if you use to cans with a bit of string but don't expect applause for your android nonsense.
BTW: Your view might be clearer if you stay away from the magic mushrooms -- I don't know about maroon ones but I know the inky purple ones tend to give you a decidedly different outlook on life not always based on reality.

How pretentious.

Anyway, I've always thought that the next iPhone would be the 5. And to play with the signature someone used to have here I'd say :

It might not be the iPhone 5, but it surely won't be the iPhone 6.
Edited by ClemyNX - 7/15/12 at 3:27pm
post #104 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Dick Tracy wannabe are you?

We should know how this turns out since we saw it on Star Trek. The communicator is tiny and the Tri-corder is for everything else. I want my iPhone mini and my iPad mini please.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #105 of 129
Quote:

I did say in my OP that I like the black or white option for the iPod/iPad/iPhone.

Re colour change I was referring to the Mac. Would be nice to have a change from silver/black.

post #106 of 129

Anyone expecting accuracy from a rumor should hang up their Internet cred right now.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #107 of 129
Quote:

Ahh the good old troll put down, favoured by all the best iSheep. Bahhhhhh

Yeah, some commenters here really need to learn what a troll is. They call whoever isn't of their opinion a troll.
post #108 of 129
Quote:

Are you accusing DaHarder?  He posted pics.  He seems to enjoy having a wide variety of gear, including Apple stuff.  didn't he say he bought an iPad for each member of his family?

DaHarder? DaHarder?

Stop. That is side-splittingly funny!

rotflmao!!
post #109 of 129
Quote:

So you were lurking for a couple years before you signed up for an account or is JerrySwitched  mean you used to have a different username and you switched. Otherwise how would you remember a comment from a couple years ago?

post #110 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone View Post

…or is JerrySwitched  mean you used to have a different username and you switched. Otherwise how would you remember a comment from a couple years ago.?

He's ConradJoe, Zither Zather Zuzz, and Hyram Gestan.

At the very least.

post #111 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It could be doing 'well' in terms of quantity sold. After all, someone has to cater to the low-taste, low profit end.

That is just it though, Samsung charges more than Apple for its top model phone, and the materials are cheap. 

post #112 of 129
Quote:

I did say in my OP that I like the black or white option for the iPod/iPad/iPhone.

Re colour change I was referring to the Mac. Would be nice to have a change from silver/black.

Ah, OK, but I have to say - how could i have known you were referring to macs?

post #113 of 129

The only reason android has a bigger market share is because people choose to buy them.

post #114 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So you were lurking for a couple years before you signed up for an account or is JerrySwitched  mean you used to have a different username and you switched. Otherwise how would you remember a comment from a couple years ago?
Quote:

He's ConradJoe, Zither Zather Zuzz, and Hyram Gestan.
At the very least.

Nice catch, Daharder doesn't post often enough these days to draw attention from a relative newcomer. Also noticed he signed up about the same day ZZZ got banned.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #115 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple is not leading the technological trend these days. Samsung and others are leading the trend by making 4.5 inch and 4.8 inch phones, which have large market demand. Apple is allowing its competitor to get away with rising sales.

Oh, the sky is falling. While I do concede that the current iPhone + iOS combo is a bit stale, let's zoom out a bit and realize that this is the same tick-tock pattern that's been going on for years. 2007, 2008, 2010 (and presumably Fall 2012) - major iPhone releases that result in a resetting of the bar, so to speak. A leaked photo comes out, commenters say it's ugly, then the real thing comes out and everyone has a simultaneous digital climax. Tens of millions of units sold.

While it's usually pretty lame when a company's zealots claim "there's something better around the corner", that truly is the case. The period between late 2011 and Fall 2012 is a time when Apple happens to be on an iterative point in its cycle (iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4S) and when Android has made remarkable improvements in software and hardware (Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, Galaxy Nexus, HTC One, Galaxy S III, etc.) 

So while the two competing platforms will always zig and zag, now's just a "low point" for Apple's offerings. Expect it to be remedied soon enough. 

post #116 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Oh, the sky is falling. While I do concede that the current iPhone + iOS combo is a bit stale, let's zoom out a bit and realize that this is the same tick-tock pattern that's been going on for years. 2007, 2008, 2010 (and presumably Fall 2012) - major iPhone releases that result in a resetting of the bar, so to speak.

Do you think that this continues to be an optimal timing strategy currently?  Will it continue to be in the future?  How long?  

ISTM that tech progress is being made faster and faster.  I wonder what is currently, and what will soon be, the optimal time period between major releases. Should the time between major releases  be compressed or shoudl it stay the same for the time being? 

post #117 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel77 View Post

The only reason android has a bigger market share is because people choose to buy them.

Agree 100%, the idea that people are somehow forced to buy android phones is just silly. And to be equal one should also take into account the hype factor in buying an iPhone. Most people I know that buy an iPhone have never tried an Android phone or a windows phone. Not saying it's inferior either.
post #118 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

As for your opinions on design? Who cares what you think? It would be pretty hard to argue that your expertise (whatever it might be) is better than Apple's experience.

The Skeumorphic Design is pretty ugly, in my opinion too. As to "who cares what you think"... Then who cares what YOU think? He's as entitled to his opinion, and expressing it, as you are. Liberty of expression is not restricted to jragosta only, you know.

Besides, you're (I believe, on purpose, but you might be honestly mistaken) confusing two very different things under the same "design" word:

- aesthetics, which are dependent on the observer (as well as his cultural environment)

- usability, in which Apple's experience does play a tremendous role

Critics, among which I am, of the skeumorphic designs, obviously distate their aesthetics chiefly. Your ad-hominem argument on his personal expertise doesn't stand.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #119 of 129

I hope all those leaks are false, otherwise i would be disappointed. They all look ugly...

post #120 of 129

phew, alas, good news, i was scared for a while when i saw the old prototype, because that one was plain ugly in comparison...

I hope that they bring back the feel of the 3G/S with the black front and white back, because that was just brilliantly beautiful! Miss it...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Next-gen iPhone now in production, possible design change in tow