or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported next-gen iPhone front panel has centered FaceTime camera
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purported next-gen iPhone front panel has centered FaceTime camera

post #1 of 94
Thread Starter 
With Apple's next iPhone believed to be in production ahead of a fall launch, a picture claiming to show the device's front panel shows a centered FaceTime camera located above the earpiece.

The image was published on Monday by Taiwanese website Apple.pro (via Google Translate). While it's hard to tell the length of the display without a side-by-side shot, the accompanying report says the panel has a width identical to the current iPhone while the screen is slightly taller.

Aside from the taller screen and a slight move for the FaceTime camera, the front panel purported to be from a pre-release white iPhone looks largely unchanged from the current design, with space for a circular home button below the display and a proximity sensor to the left of the earpiece.

The original source of the images is a Photobucket account that previously obtained the rear panel for Apple's third-generation iPad before the tablet was announced. That person revealed that the new iPad would be slightly thicker than its predecessor, the iPad 2.

Leaked parts alleged to be from Apple's next iPhone come as the handset is said to now be in production. Over the weekend, another report said Apple's suppliers are building the next iPhone ahead of a fall launch, and that the handset will feature inlaid glass on the back, between top and bottom edges made of metal.

iPhone


Industry watchers suspect that Apple will release the next iPhone in September or October, or about a year after the launch of the iPhone 4S. That launch window would allow Apple to take advantage of the lucrative holiday shopping season, which helped result in record breaking sales of the iPhone 4S at launch last year.

Multiple reports have indicated that Apple's next iPhone will feature a slightly larger 4-inch display, representing the first time Apple has ever changed the size of the iPhone's screen. The taller display is expected to feature a 26 percent larger 16-to-9 aspect ratio that would retain the ability for users to operate the device while holding it with just one hand.
post #2 of 94
I just hope the ordering process will go smooth this time around cuz it was a mess with the 4 ... Ok apple my money is in the bank I'm wating
post #3 of 94
Not bad. It'll sell well and consumers will like the larger screen.
post #4 of 94

I'm looking forward to seeing how Apple improves the next iPhone.

 

One rumored aspect I especially like is the new position of the headphone jack.  I've found that the current placement is quite cumbersome.  When it's in my pocket, the iPhone has to be upright so that it's not sitting on top of the headphone plug.  But when I take it out of my pocket from this position, it is upside down, so I have to rotate the iPhone in my hand to use it properly.  This is quite a hassle when you need to check your phone intermittently while listening to music.

 

This change alone may be enough to get me to upgrade.

post #5 of 94

It will be interesting to see what they do with the UI if they in fact do stretch the screen to 4". If they expand the vertical resolution and keep the horizontal the same, they could possibly put a permanent notification or widget bar on the top or bottom. Or they could just obviously add another row of apps... but there's no fun in that!

post #6 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Not bad. It'll sell well and consumers will like the larger screen.

True, I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes... but just my opine...  4" just seems a bit.. incremental/compromise??  I would like to see Apple compete directly with the Samsung G SIII- mano-a-mano.  Keep the 3.5 'classic' and add 4.5 version with same resolution. Ah well, time will tell. In any case... the next iphone will sell millions.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #7 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

True, I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes... but just my opine...  4" just seems a bit.. incremental/compromise??  I would like to see Apple compete directly with the Samsung G SIII- mano-a-mano.  Keep the 3.5 'classic' and add 4.5 version with same resolution. Ah well, time will tell. In any case... the next iphone will sell millions.
I think 4 inches is good because it'll expand iPhone appeal a bit and it won't alienate current buyers who want a more compact phone. Even so I think there is room for an iPhone Nano.
post #8 of 94
I like that the new camera is centered, but I do wish they swapped the positions of the camera and the speaker. To get the impression that your chat partner is really looking at you, you want to get the lens as close as possible to the screen (or, ideally, somehow behind the screen).

As it is, Apple's products do much netter than the norm in this regard.
post #9 of 94

Cant wait for a 4"- Almost inevitable at this point with all the releases, rumors, pics, etc.

It'll be a day one for me- love the fact its longer and can't wait to see the new iOS on this device and what tricks they'll have up their sleeves.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

True, I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes... but just my opine...  4" just seems a bit.. incremental/compromise??  I would like to see Apple compete directly with the Samsung G SIII- mano-a-mano.  Keep the 3.5 'classic' and add 4.5 version with same resolution. Ah well, time will tell. In any case... the next iphone will sell millions.

No need to fragment the market.  They don't want to sell 2 different iPhones.  What do we do in 2 years?  A 3.5, 4.5 2 yr old model, a 1 yr old, and current?  6 phones.  The beauty about apple is they just have the "iPhone".

 

Friend: What did you buy?

Android Customer: An Android

Friend: What kind of android?

Customer: A Samsung

Friend: Which Samsung?

Customer: *Looks frantically for the name of phone*.......... the Galaxy

Friend: Which Galaxy?

Customer: *shoots his friend then himself*

 

Friend: What did you buy?

Apple Customer: The iPhone.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #10 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post

It will be interesting to see what they do with the UI if they in fact do stretch the screen to 4". If they expand the vertical resolution and keep the horizontal the same, they could possibly put a permanent notification or widget bar on the top or bottom. Or they could just obviously add another row of apps... but there's no fun in that!
I think permanent notifications/widget/multitasking bars would be tacky. Maybe they'll make the home screen more customizable and let users place apps where they want in the grid rather than just "adding another row." Maybe they'll just space out the rows a bit more?
post #11 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Even so I think there is room for an iPhone Nano.

Are you kidding me? lol.gif

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #12 of 94

funny, as everyone saying it will sell millions but no one particularly crazy about the design. If this is indeed iPhone 5, imho this is the biggest strategic mistake of Apple in the last decade because the new form is just is a tiny 0.5" lengthening of the screen. Consumer preference gradually shifting to larger screens - and the usual contra-argument "Who wants to hold a giant thing next to their ears" does not really cut anymore. People use phones for anything but talking. While many people will still insist that 3.5" screen is the coolest thing ever, what is really important here, is to spot the trend. Gradually and persistently large screens become cool. While in the US, 3.5" iPhone still rules, I see that in other parts of the world people oddly fall in love with even super-large screens (Galaxy Note for example). This is because a larger screen is more functional for anything but talking. And what is cool is ultimately defined by functionality. I think the new long iPhone will sell millions but it will be the first Apple phone which will sell less than its predecessor..

post #13 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you kidding me? lol.gif
Not everyone wants or needs GPS, Siri, Compass, gyroscope, 4G, dual/quad core processors etc. A smaller candy colored form factored phone could be a game changer for the youth and teen market, while the iPhone 4/4S and new iPhone will appeal to the adult and business market.
post #14 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

funny, as everyone saying it will sell millions but no one particularly crazy about the design. If this is indeed iPhone 5, imho this is the biggest strategic mistake of Apple in the last decade because the new form is just is a tiny 0.5" lengthening of the screen. Consumer preference gradually shifting to larger screens - and the usual contra-argument "Who wants to hold a giant thing next to their ears" does not really cut anymore. People use phones for anything but talking. While many people will still insist that 3.5" screen is the coolest thing ever, what is really important here, is to spot the trend. Gradually and persistently large screens become cool. While in the US, 3.5" iPhone still rules, I see that in other parts of the world people oddly fall in love with even super-large screens (Galaxy Note for example). This is because a larger screen is more functional for anything but talking. And what is cool is ultimately defined by functionality. I think the new long iPhone will sell millions but it will be the first Apple phone which will sell less than its predecessor..
I think most consumers will like the new design. Considering people don't mind buying the 2 year old iPhone 4 today just because it's an "iPhone" makes me think Apple will have no problem selling this phone. Also because this will be the first iPhone with LTE and a large widescreen that adds appeal for non-techies worldwide to get this new iPhone.
post #15 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

funny, as everyone saying it will sell millions but no one particularly crazy about the design. If this is indeed iPhone 5, imho this is the biggest strategic mistake of Apple in the last decade because the new form is just is a tiny 0.5" lengthening of the screen. Consumer preference gradually shifting to larger screens - and the usual contra-argument "Who wants to hold a giant thing next to their ears" does not really cut anymore. People use phones for anything but talking. While many people will still insist that 3.5" screen is the coolest thing ever, what is really important here, is to spot the trend. Gradually and persistently large screens become cool. While in the US, 3.5" iPhone still rules, I see that in other parts of the world people oddly fall in love with even super-large screens (Galaxy Note for example). This is because a larger screen is more functional for anything but talking. And what is cool is ultimately defined by functionality. I think the new long iPhone will sell millions but it will be the first Apple phone which will sell less than its predecessor..

 

A lot of people still do use their phones for talking, and those people don't need or want a huge phone. My wife and I belong to that group of people who actually still need a "phone", and we are only 28 years old. The major demographic that only use their devices for texting and Facebook are quite young, and I think Apple is willing to let some of them slip by in order to make an extremely well rounded "phone" for everyone.

post #16 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

funny, as everyone saying it will sell millions but no one particularly crazy about the design.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Cant wait for a 4"- Almost inevitable at this point with all the releases, rumors, pics, etc.

It'll be a day one for me- love the fact its longer and can't wait to see the new iOS on this device and what tricks they'll have up their sleeves.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


I think 4 inches is good

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

I'm looking forward to seeing how Apple improves the next iPhone.

 

.....

 

This change alone may be enough to get me to upgrade.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuk View Post

Ok apple my money is in the bank I'm wating

 

Are you reading the same thread as me?

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #17 of 94
Someone high at apple really loves the bezel.
This 5 year old design of the front panel does not seem to go anywhere.
For two more years and likely more we are stuck with 30% of wasted real estate.

Well, it was a such an opportunity to make it right along with UI and resolution change.
Edited by jason98 - 7/16/12 at 9:46am
post #18 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

…no one particularly crazy about the design.

I guess if you poll no one and look at what no one has said, then yeah, no one is particularly crazy about a design considered one of Apple's best.
Quote:
If this is indeed iPhone 5, imho this is the biggest strategic mistake of Apple in the last decade…

It's a good thing this isn't the 5th iPhone then, isn't it!
Quote:
Consumer preference gradually shifting to larger screens - and the usual contra-argument "Who wants to hold a giant thing next to their ears" does not really cut anymore.

Because obviously no one uses their phone as a phone anymore.

276
Quote:
People use phones for anything but talking.

Oh, wow, you're actually SERIOUS about this. I was joking. Because it's ludicrous.
Quote:
Gradually and persistently large screens become cool.

I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that 7" laptops were once thought to be "cool".
Quote:
And what is cool is ultimately defined by functionality.

No, the complete opposite seems to be true most of the time. It's the minority, then–the less-featured stuff–that captures attention and marketshare because it's so well-made.
Quote:
I think the new long iPhone will sell millions but it will be the first Apple phone which will sell less than its predecessor..

And you're welcome to be proven wrong like so many before you with earlier iPhone models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Not everyone wants or needs GPS, Siri, Compass, gyroscope, 4G, dual/quad core processors etc. A smaller candy colored form factored phone could be a game changer for the youth and teen market…

Apple couldn't care less about those types of phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

This 5 year old design of the front panel does not seem to go anywhere.

Where… would it go? What does that even mean?
Quote:
For two more years and likely more we are stuck with 30% of wasted real estate.

Where in the heck does this argument come from, anyway? It's one of the least intelligent things said about the design of the iPhone.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #19 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

I'm looking forward to seeing how Apple improves the next iPhone.

 

One rumored aspect I especially like is the new position of the headphone jack.  I've found that the current placement is quite cumbersome.  When it's in my pocket, the iPhone has to be upright so that it's not sitting on top of the headphone plug.  But when I take it out of my pocket from this position, it is upside down, so I have to rotate the iPhone in my hand to use it properly.  This is quite a hassle when you need to check your phone intermittently while listening to music.

 

This change alone may be enough to get me to upgrade.

Maybe invest in some bluetooth headphone? I don't know: 2012, wireless, sounds good enough. ^^p

post #20 of 94

Apple Insider continues to choose to report on innuendoes and rumors, but chooses not to have an article today on the July 25th release date of Mountain Lion, that all the other Apple sites are reporting. I guess reality just is not as much fun as wild speculation.

post #21 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

funny, as everyone saying it will sell millions but no one particularly crazy about the design. If this is indeed iPhone 5, imho this is the biggest strategic mistake of Apple in the last decade because the new form is just is a tiny 0.5" lengthening of the screen. Consumer preference gradually shifting to larger screens - and the usual contra-argument "Who wants to hold a giant thing next to their ears" does not really cut anymore. People use phones for anything but talking. While many people will still insist that 3.5" screen is the coolest thing ever, what is really important here, is to spot the trend. Gradually and persistently large screens become cool. While in the US, 3.5" iPhone still rules, I see that in other parts of the world people oddly fall in love with even super-large screens (Galaxy Note for example). This is because a larger screen is more functional for anything but talking. And what is cool is ultimately defined by functionality. I think the new long iPhone will sell millions but it will be the first Apple phone which will sell less than its predecessor..

Reasons why you are wrong:

1. The iPad will never sell, its just a big iPod touch.
2. iPhone 4 sales figures will drop due to the delay in releasing a new iPhone.
3. The iPhone 4S will not sell, its just too similar to the iPhone 4.

You seem to think that parts of the world have fallen in love with huge screens?? Please list the devices which have sold over 10 million units at launch with a screen larger than the iPhone?
post #22 of 94

Obviously PhotoShopped.

post #23 of 94

If Apple is smart they will take the vision of Chester Gould for the design of the next iPhone. The iPod Nano is the perfect starting point.lol.gif

post #24 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

…the July 25th release date of Mountain Lion, that all the other Apple sites are reporting. I guess reality just is not as much fun as wild speculation.

Except that's not reality, as it's not official.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #25 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


It's a good thing this isn't the 5th iPhone then, isn't it!

 

Thank you! I am almost positive this will not be referred to as "iPhone 5". The only iPhone that has followed that naming scheme has been the iPhone 4, because it was in fact the 4th gen iPhone. This will be the 6th gen, and most likely drop the identifiers and just be "iPhone".

post #26 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Someone high at apple really loves the bezel.
This 5 year old design of the front panel does not seem to go anywhere.
For two more years and likely more we are stuck with 30% of wasted real estate.
Well, it was a such an opportunity to make it right along with UI and resolution change.

 

Well, in fact there is a giant picture at the top of this article of the new bezels and they are quite a bit smaller than on the 4s, so in fact they *have* changed the bezels, and they *have* made them smaller.  

 

It's pretty clear even without measuring (and I'm not sure how this picture is all over the Interwebs this morning without anyone thinking to actually measure it), that the top and bottom bezels are narrower by about 2-3mm each.  The ratio of screen to bezel has clearly gone up although without measurements it's difficult to say how much.  

 

The bezels couldn't actually be any smaller without losing essential features like the Home button or not being able to hold the phone when gaming etc. I'm not sure what you expected given the normal constraints of being able to hold the phone, pick it up easily etc. 

post #27 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Except that's not reality, as it's not official.

As opposed to the content of this article, showing what the case for the new iPhone is. This is official and is reality.

post #28 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

funny, as everyone saying it will sell millions but no one particularly crazy about the design. If this is indeed iPhone 5, imho this is the biggest strategic mistake of Apple in the last decade because the new form is just is a tiny 0.5" lengthening of the screen. Consumer preference gradually shifting to larger screens - and the usual contra-argument "Who wants to hold a giant thing next to their ears" does not really cut anymore. People use phones for anything but talking. While many people will still insist that 3.5" screen is the coolest thing ever, what is really important here, is to spot the trend. Gradually and persistently large screens become cool. While in the US, 3.5" iPhone still rules, I see that in other parts of the world people oddly fall in love with even super-large screens (Galaxy Note for example). This is because a larger screen is more functional for anything but talking. And what is cool is ultimately defined by functionality. I think the new long iPhone will sell millions but it will be the first Apple phone which will sell less than its predecessor..

Well I sure can agree with much of your point, but yet I wouldn't bet on the last sentence. :)

post #29 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post

 

Thank you! I am almost positive this will not be referred to as "iPhone 5". The only iPhone that has followed that naming scheme has been the iPhone 4, because it was in fact the 4th gen iPhone. This will be the 6th gen, and most likely drop the identifiers and just be "iPhone".

 

I favour keeping the identifiers since they are currently keeping multiple models on sale.  The fact that they haven't given a number to the latest iPad is kind of annoying in everyday practice and everyone is calling it the "3" anyway.  The fact that they haven't given it a number and that it is visually almost identical to the 2.0 version just adds an extra layer of confusion for no reason.  I've had to deal with lots and lots of non-tech people who are confused over this.  

 

For that reason, I would go with "iPhone 6" although there is *some* logic to the iPhone 5 name if you ignore the fact that the 3G iPhone was actually the second one.  

post #30 of 94

My guess is someone with time on their hands and access to a 3D printer created these two models we are looking at in the picture.  Simple easy thing to do.

post #31 of 94

at 16:9  what's the pixel dimensions going to be?   Until someone answers that intelligently (including how the extra pixels will be used) , I can't see them changing the screen size beyond the current 3.5" screen.

 

source:  http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/apples-tim-cook-rules-out-iphone-5-with-4-inch-screen/78626

 

Apple won't be creating 8 different iOS screen real estates.... 480x320 (3GS) 960x640, 1024*768, 2048x1536 will be it for 2012/13.

 

Now... I can only see the screen changing on the phone when the 3GS is totally retired (2013).    Tim Cook wants all the developers to develop to the iPad2/3, and the iPhone 4gs(5), and swamp the market with compelling applications.  

post #32 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post

 

Thank you! I am almost positive this will not be referred to as "iPhone 5". The only iPhone that has followed that naming scheme has been the iPhone 4, because it was in fact the 4th gen iPhone. This will be the 6th gen, and most likely drop the identifiers and just be "iPhone".

That would add some confusion, like about that new iPad, you know the iPad 3. :)

post #33 of 94

It is not about the logic. It is about convention. If every one (90% of people) refers to it as iPhone 5, then it is a nome it is most comfortable to use in the communication. (How it really be named  - no one knows).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I favour keeping the identifiers since they are currently keeping multiple models on sale.  The fact that they haven't given a number to the latest iPad is kind of annoying in everyday practice and everyone is calling it the "3" anyway.  The fact that they haven't given it a number and that it is visually almost identical to the 2.0 version just adds an extra layer of confusion for no reason.  I've had to deal with lots and lots of non-tech people who are confused over this.  

 

For that reason, I would go with "iPhone 6" although there is *some* logic to the iPhone 5 name if you ignore the fact that the 3G iPhone was actually the second one.  

post #34 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Now... I can only see the screen changing on the phone when the 3GS is totally retired (2013).

Why would the 3GS keep selling after the new iPhone is released?  We're going to have a 3GS, 4, 4S, and New iPhone?  So if the 4S is $99, the 4 is Free, does the 3GS pay you $100?

 

The 3GS is gone in the US (and most developed markets) the day the New iPhone gets announced.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #35 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post

 

Thank you! I am almost positive this will not be referred to as "iPhone 5". The only iPhone that has followed that naming scheme has been the iPhone 4, because it was in fact the 4th gen iPhone. This will be the 6th gen, and most likely drop the identifiers and just be "iPhone".

 

 

IMO:  Probably "the New iPhone", maybe the "iPhone 5", but certainly not the iPhone 6.  That would cause confusion.

post #36 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Cant wait for a 4"- Almost inevitable at this point with all the releases, rumors, pics, etc.
It'll be a day one for me- love the fact its longer and can't wait to see the new iOS on this device and what tricks they'll have up their sleeves.
No need to fragment the market.  They don't want to sell 2 different iPhones.  What do we do in 2 years?  A 3.5, 4.5 2 yr old model, a 1 yr old, and current?  6 phones.  The beauty about apple is they just have the "iPhone".

Friend: What did you buy?
Android Customer: An Android
Friend: What kind of android?
Customer: A Samsung
Friend: Which Samsung?
Customer: *Looks frantically for the name of phone*.......... the Galaxy
Friend: Which Galaxy?
Customer: *shoots his friend then himself*

You left out:
Friend: Which Galaxy?
Customer: Galaxy SIII
Friend: Which version of Galaxy SIII?

THEN, customer pulls out the gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Not everyone wants or needs GPS, Siri, Compass, gyroscope, 4G, dual/quad core processors etc. A smaller candy colored form factored phone could be a game changer for the youth and teen market, while the iPhone 4/4S and new iPhone will appeal to the adult and business market.

Maybe, but I don't see what Apple brings to the table if you're talking about a simple candy bar phone. The more you strip out, the less need for Apple's ease of use.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #37 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

It is not about the logic. It is about convention. If every one (90% of people) refers to it as iPhone 5, then it is a nome it is most comfortable to use in the communication. (How it really be named  - no one knows).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post

Thank you! I am almost positive this will not be referred to as "iPhone 5". The only iPhone that has followed that naming scheme has been the iPhone 4, because it was in fact the 4th gen iPhone. This will be the 6th gen, and most likely drop the identifiers and just be "iPhone".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I favour keeping the identifiers since they are currently keeping multiple models on sale.  The fact that they haven't given a number to the latest iPad is kind of annoying in everyday practice and everyone is calling it the "3" anyway.  The fact that they haven't given it a number and that it is visually almost identical to the 2.0 version just adds an extra layer of confusion for no reason.  I've had to deal with lots and lots of non-tech people who are confused over this.  

For that reason, I would go with "iPhone 6" although there is *some* logic to the iPhone 5 name if you ignore the fact that the 3G iPhone was actually the second one.  

I don't know why there's so much debate all over the Apple blogosphere about the name but it's more than likely going to be known as the iPhone 5 whether Apple gives it a number designation or not. To consumers, "5" comes after "4" even though this is the 6th gen phone.
post #38 of 94
Quote:
Consumer preference gradually shifting to larger screens - and the usual contra-argument "Who wants to hold a giant thing next to their ears" does not really cut anymore. 

 

It may make thumb typing easier, and add more height for notifications, and another 'row' of app icons on the home screen, but other than that, it's not really compelling.  

 

It wouldn't be Giant... just a tetch longer.  at 16:9 the size would maybe be just a 10mm (~.4")taller.  Same width, and if you carve out about 2mm from the space between the earhole and the top edge, it would fit.  

 

Real Estate on a phone becomes a diminishing return.   I do like the 16:9 ratio, but I can't see them doing it, unless some developer tells me that it's trivially easy for an iPhone app to have an add'l .47" of portrait height to a screen, and they state that that .47" is the 'notification center' or something.

post #39 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol 

 

Android Customer: An Android

Friend: What kind of android?

Customer: A Samsung

Friend: Which Samsung?

Customer: *Looks frantically for the name of phone*.......... the Galaxy

Friend: Which Galaxy?

Customer: *shoots his friend then himself*

 

Friend: What did you buy?

Apple Customer: The iPhone.

 

Nobody has ever done that before.  If somebody buys a Galaxy, they know exactly what they bought.

post #40 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

It is not about the logic. It is about convention. If every one (90% of people) refers to it as iPhone 5, then it is a nome it is most comfortable to use in the communication. (How it really be named  - no one knows).

 

 

How about the iPhone 4G?  What if it retained the iconic exterior, mostly the same features, and added 4G as the flagship feature (along with the usual processor upgrade, and of course the new screen)?  

 

Could they call it a 4x and have it be a hit?  

 

Or do they really, really have to "go beyond" the 4 series?

 

Apple's branding abilities are second to none.  It  will be fun to see what their decision here will be.  

 

But I'd wager that a LOT of normal people will call it the iPhone 5, no matter what Apple calls it.  Most especially if Apple simply calls it the new iPhone.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported next-gen iPhone front panel has centered FaceTime camera