or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported next-gen iPhone front panel has centered FaceTime camera
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purported next-gen iPhone front panel has centered FaceTime camera - Page 2

post #41 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Why would the 3GS keep selling after the new iPhone is released?  We're going to have a 3GS, 4, 4S, and New iPhone?  So if the 4S is $99, the 4 is Free, does the 3GS pay you $100?

 

The 3GS is gone in the US (and most developed markets) the day the New iPhone gets announced.

 

Never said stop selling.  I said "totally retired."    The comet's tail of support.   It's still supported in iOS6.  If they said that iOS6 didn't support 3GS, I'd be whistling a different tune, and see them introduce a point release this fall that introduces the new geometry. 

 

3GS geometry won't be supported this time next year, possibly even earlier.

post #42 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

 

It may make thumb typing easier, and add more height for notifications, and another 'row' of app icons on the home screen, but other than that, it's not really compelling.  

 

It wouldn't be Giant... just a tetch longer.  at 16:9 the size would maybe be just a 10mm (~.4")taller.  Same width, and if you carve out about 2mm from the space between the earhole and the top edge, it would fit.  

 

Real Estate on a phone becomes a diminishing return.   I do like the 16:9 ratio, but I can't see them doing it, unless some developer tells me that it's trivially easy for an iPhone app to have an add'l .47" of portrait height to a screen, and they state that that .47" is the 'notification center' or something.

So a bigger screen is "not really compelling" to play games, watch videos, surf the web, etc, certainly nope. I am sold.

post #43 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

It is not about the logic. It is about convention. If every one (90% of people) refers to it as iPhone 5, then it is a nome it is most comfortable to use in the communication. (How it really be named  - no one knows).

This is kinda why I think they should go with "iPhone 6" because if they don't give it a number, people will use 'iPhone 5" which is "more wrong" than most any other choice.  

 

Let's face it, people are stupid and will go with the "iPhone 5" name because 5 comes after 4.  Apple is being really dumb lately with their naming conventions though so I wouldn't be surprised if they went with "the new iPhone" either.  

 

No way they will officially name it "iPhone 5" however as one thing Apple never does is do what everyone thinks they will do.  When Phil Schiller was asked why the last iPad didn't have a number he said "because they like to surprise" or some such.  

post #44 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


Not everyone wants or needs GPS, Siri, Compass, gyroscope, 4G, dual/quad core processors etc. A smaller candy colored form factored phone could be a game changer for the youth and teen market, while the iPhone 4/4S and new iPhone will appeal to the adult and business market.

That's an iPhone 3GS. with a Colored phone cover.

 

If you think they want a phone smaller than a 3GS/4, you don't understand the youth and teen market, and you definitely don't understand Apple.

 

 

A 'free' phone on daddy's plan is just fine. 

 

 

Apple sees the 'optimal' platform, and the apps do the rest.  they feel the iPhone4 is the optimal size (at the moment).  smaller won't happen... I'd be surprised if Larger happened. 

post #45 of 94
The only feature I care about is 4G. I bought a Galaxy S3 last week primarily for LTE.
post #46 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

That's an iPhone 3GS. with a Colored phone cover.

If you think they want a phone smaller than a 3GS/4, you don't understand the youth and teen market, and you definitely don't understand Apple.


A 'free' phone on daddy's plan is just fine. 


Apple sees the 'optimal' platform, and the apps do the rest.  they feel the iPhone4 is the optimal size (at the moment).  smaller won't happen... I'd be surprised if Larger happened. 
The 3GS is 3 years old and still requires a data plan. Most young college aged kids jailbreak their $99 iPhones to avoid paying the data plan. Apple providing a fresh affordable phone that doesn't require a data contract could be huge for that market. Even if the phone has 3GS internals with new slimmer casing I think it has the potential to be a hit worldwide.
post #47 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

Nobody has ever done that before.  If somebody buys a Galaxy, they know exactly what they bought.
I've encountered a LOT of android buyers that don't know what phone they bought. Some even call their Samsungs "Droids" or think android is a brand of phone. I would hope if they're spending $200 for an S3 they would know what phone they bought but a lot of phone buyers are clueless.
post #48 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

So a bigger screen is "not really compelling" to play games, watch videos, surf the web, etc, certainly nope. I am sold.

What Games are there that you can't play now that you could by adding .47" to the Y or X (not both) axis?   

Name one app or game that isn't on the iPhone because it's not a 16:9 ratio?

 

Name one developer who would say... "I really need .47 in for my application". and then name me the developers who say "I don't mind when Apple forces me to create a new code fork to support a new geometry, resubmit all my apps to the App Store, and deal with the bugs and issues people contact me about due to the new presentation modality"

 

Surfing the web?  that 1/2" along the long axis?  I'll still need to pinch the display to see a non mobile optimized page.. and even optimized... it's not deep enough (we 'read' at 4:3 and 3:2... we've been trained at that for years) to be a 'compelling experience'

 

I agree with you on videos. but you already have an iPad don't you?  or an AppleTV.  If not, then why not?  you watch all your videos on a 4" screen?  

Apple really doesn't see you as their demographic then...

 

 

Personally, I think Apple will focus the phone (and the iPod Touch) at the current form factor, and for all the reasons you state... will ship an 8" iPad.   Because Apple is an ecosystem, not a shipper of independent chunks of hardware, where each has to maximize their sales. 

 

I see some reasons for .47" more Y axis, but actually none of them are what you list.

- Better Notification center

- permanent Siri/voice dictation button on all app pages

- App Tiling (2 apps on one screen)

 

Those would help Apple make an iOS phone more 'integrated' 

 

Your reasons... I don't think Apple sees those issues as the reasons why people buy a phone other than iPhone.  

post #49 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is kinda why I think they should go with "iPhone 6" because if they don't give it a number, people will use 'iPhone 5" which is "more wrong" than most any other choice.  

 

Let's face it, people are stupid and will go with the "iPhone 5" name because 5 comes after 4.  Apple is being really dumb lately with their naming conventions though so I wouldn't be surprised if they went with "the new iPhone" either.  

 

No way they will officially name it "iPhone 5" however as one thing Apple never does is do what everyone thinks they will do.  When Phil Schiller was asked why the last iPad didn't have a number he said "because they like to surprise" or some such.  

 

 

Those who will colloquially call the new "iPhone" the "iPhone 5" are "less wrong" because that's how people name things.  Do any of the "stupid" people you're talking about, AKA all those people that have given Apple 90% of its revenue, really care or know that it's the 6th+ generation of iPhone hardware?   Do you think any but a handful of iPhone users snigger when people say "4S" instead of "5"?  It seems your are suggesting that Apple is patronizing those people by calling it the 4S instead of the 5.  And what if Apple did call it the iPhone 6?  The missing 5 would be confusing.  Don't try to argue that they didn't have an iPhone 1 or 2 - they've set a precedent by using 3 then 4.

 

In any case, Apple will surely drop the numbering as they did for the iPad, and the "new iPhone" will be *correctly* referred to as the "iPhone 5".  Why is that correct?  Because *everyone* including *you* will understand what the iPhone 5 is.

post #50 of 94
For some reason, you seem to be blatantly discrediting some valid points. Seems like you're bent on refuting whatever this guy has said, because instead of coming up with logical answers you criticize his questions, asking where they even come from.

Many of the poster's points are valid: if this is the next iPhone model, it would in fact possibly be disappointing to some to see essentially the same design that has been used in every iPhone. Apple may feel they have the perfect phone design and therefore do not need to make any changes, but a completely refreshed, new design accompanying logical changes (bigger screen, etc.) would be and nice and would surely entice many to buy it. Apple has released a phone with the same design for two years now - a phone which looks almost exactly the same with only minor dimensional changes seems to say that Apple is comfortable extending this for a third year.

Even by looking at mock ups, for example from last years supposed iPhone 5 with the slightly curved design, or even those stored in google image results, I can see some design, or elements of designs, which would not only make perfect sense in the next iPhone but would make it a far better product.

Anyway, I don't mean to criticize or be offensive, it's just my opinion after all.
post #51 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


The 3GS is 3 years old and still requires a data plan. Most young college aged kids jailbreak their $99 iPhones to avoid paying the data plan. Apple providing a fresh affordable phone that doesn't require a data contract could be huge for that market. Even if the phone has 3GS internals with new slimmer casing I think it has the potential to be a hit worldwide.

That's not a youth/teen market  that's the 'I've got more time than money' market.    Candy Colored phones are all about 'individuality' (I'm not like that loser over there... my phone has sparkles) not 'cheap.'

 

why slimmer?  your argument doesn't support that requirement.   The reason the iPhone is a hit is the screen size... anything smaller and you'll need a stylus (or expensive sandpaper for your fingertips).  Larger and it's bulky and inconvenient.

 

 

I read your response, and I see you're confusing Apple with the people who sell phone plans.  Apple doesn't require the data plan.  The carriers do.

 

 

Unless you're asking Apple to make a 'cheap' phone.

and They don't do cheap.

post #52 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

As opposed to the content of this article, showing what the case for the new iPhone is. This is official and is reality.

Except it isn't, for the same reason as in the post quoted in the above quote.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #53 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

Nobody has ever done that before.  If somebody buys a Galaxy, they know exactly what they bought.

Really?

Somehow, you're not very believable, considering that even if you narrow it down to the SIII phone, there are multiple different varieties. Different CPUs, different amounts of RAM.

I think it's unlikely that everyone who buys a Samsung phone knows exactly what they bought.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #54 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


Not everyone wants or needs GPS, Siri, Compass, gyroscope, 4G, dual/quad core processors etc. A smaller candy colored form factored phone could be a game changer for the youth and teen market, while the iPhone 4/4S and new iPhone will appeal to the adult and business market.

 

True, and those few people who does, or doesn't really care about their phones, buys those cheap small plastic android phones... :P

post #55 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

That's not a youth/teen market  that's the 'I've got more time than money' market.    Candy Colored phones are all about 'individuality' (I'm not like that loser over there... my phone has sparkles) not 'cheap.'

why slimmer?  your argument doesn't support that requirement.   The reason the iPhone is a hit is the screen size... anything smaller and you'll need a stylus (or expensive sandpaper for your fingertips).  Larger and it's bulky and inconvenient.


I read your response, and I see you're confusing Apple with the people who sell phone plans.  Apple doesn't require the data plan.  The carriers do.


Unless you're asking Apple to make a 'cheap' phone.
and They don't do cheap.
I'm sure you thought Apple wouldn't do a $49 MP3 player either.
post #56 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I've encountered a LOT of android buyers that don't know what phone they bought. Some even call their Samsungs "Droids" or think android is a brand of phone. I would hope if they're spending $200 for an S3 they would know what phone they bought but a lot of phone buyers are clueless.

And they call US sheep?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #57 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

funny, as everyone saying it will sell millions but no one particularly crazy about the design. If this is indeed iPhone 5, imho this is the biggest strategic mistake of Apple in the last decade because the new form is just is a tiny 0.5" lengthening of the screen. Consumer preference gradually shifting to larger screens - and the usual contra-argument "Who wants to hold a giant thing next to their ears" does not really cut anymore. People use phones for anything but talking. While many people will still insist that 3.5" screen is the coolest thing ever, what is really important here, is to spot the trend. Gradually and persistently large screens become cool. While in the US, 3.5" iPhone still rules, I see that in other parts of the world people oddly fall in love with even super-large screens (Galaxy Note for example). This is because a larger screen is more functional for anything but talking. And what is cool is ultimately defined by functionality. I think the new long iPhone will sell millions but it will be the first Apple phone which will sell less than its predecessor..

I disagree that this will be a strategic mistake (much less the "biggest" one in the last decade) on the part of Apple at all. Adopting the 16x9 aspect ratio at only 4" in the iPhone is a smart way of unifying the aspect ratio between display devices (e.g., HDTV / AppleTV, Mac, etc.) while retaining a form factor that is still manageable with one hand. Competitors like the Galaxy Note are simply too big to work with one hand and using them as a phone (i.e., holding them up to your head for a call) is awkward; they practically require a BT headset.

 

I tihnk the larger screens found in so many of Apple's competitors' handsets were initially their answer to the iPhone's Retina Display, which the competition otherwise couldn't (some still can't) compete with pixel-for-pixel. The larger displays have definitely found a market, but that does not in any way render the iPhone's smaller form factor inadequate or obsolete, despite what other trends may be observed in the market. Apple has always made well-thought-out design decisions that have usually hit the mark for all the right reasons, form factor often being chief among them.

 

The needs of people who want a larger screen for apps and such will be satisfied by the iPad, and perhaps an iPad mini if those rumors pan out. But as far as the iPhone's form factor is concerned, it doesn't need to, and shouldn't, change much. You are absolutely right, though, in that it will sell millions. With the hardware upgrades and iOS upgrade, it will be Apple's best-selling iPhone to date.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #58 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Really?
Somehow, you're not very believable, considering that even if you narrow it down to the SIII phone, there are multiple different varieties. Different CPUs, different amounts of RAM.
I think it's unlikely that everyone who buys a Samsung phone knows exactly what they bought.

If a customer walks into an authorized reseller anywhere in the US there will only be one CPU/RAM versions of the Galaxy S3 for sale. If a customer walks into an authorized reseller anywhere in Japan there will not be more than one CPU/RAM version of the S3 for sale. If a customer walks into an authorized reseller's store anywhere in Europe there will not be more than one CPU/RAM combo of the S3 available for sale. In fact there are only two basic CPU/RAM versions produced for the entire world, discounting the "special hometown version" for the S.Koreans that added a GB of RAM as the only change.

 

It's not confusing. Everyone in the US buying from a telco or a brick n'mortar got the same CPU, the same amount of RAM, the same graphics processor, the same display, and exactly the same size phone with the same features. Any accessory that works with one will work with all. Only the exterior colors vary. 

 

Now does that mean the US customer knows "exactly what they bought"? Probably no more so than a lot of US iPhone buyers. But if it was a Galaxy S3 they all bought the same thing.


Edited by Gatorguy - 7/16/12 at 12:23pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #59 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


I'm sure you thought Apple wouldn't do a $49 MP3 player either.

 

The music was more expensive than the device.

Same with the 3GS and a data plan.

 

What's your point?   

 

My point is, what functional features are you shaving off the iPhone to make it fit your list?   If you say glass size, are you shrinking the pixels to run all the apps then require a stylus, or shrinking the interface to less than 480x320, and then no current apps, games will run, videos will look worse than a SVGA screen, and you can't read a web page or an email.

 

hardly a compelling experience.

 

And glass is the most expensive of component, followed by battery, the 2 things that define the dimensions.

 

I think Apple will gladly say... no thank you and say they want 

1) a compelling visual experience with our phones

2) the right feel in the hand

3) a rich set of features that applications can take advantage of.

4) a set of applications that run on our entire fleet of devices, from the low end phone, to the high end iPad.

 

Anything less than an iPhone 4 feature set at this point is not a smartphone.  It's a feature phone... 

post #60 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

 

 

Those who will colloquially call the new "iPhone" the "iPhone 5" are "less wrong" because that's how people name things.  Do any of the "stupid" people you're talking about, AKA all those people that have given Apple 90% of its revenue, really care or know that it's the 6th+ generation of iPhone hardware?   Do you think any but a handful of iPhone users snigger when people say "4S" instead of "5"?  It seems your are suggesting that Apple is patronizing those people by calling it the 4S instead of the 5.  And what if Apple did call it the iPhone 6?  The missing 5 would be confusing.  Don't try to argue that they didn't have an iPhone 1 or 2 - they've set a precedent by using 3 then 4.

 

In any case, Apple will surely drop the numbering as they did for the iPad, and the "new iPhone" will be *correctly* referred to as the "iPhone 5".  Why is that correct?  Because *everyone* including *you* will understand what the iPhone 5 is.

 

What a lot of rot.  You are basically arguing that if stupid people think the sky is green instead of blue that therefore the sky is green.  

 

There isn't really a logical pattern to iPhone naming so far, but of the most popular possibilities floated from time to time the "most wrong" is indeed "iPhone 5." The pattern behind the reasoning is:  

 

3 > 3something > 4 > 4something > 5 > 5something

 

But the "3" phone was actually the "2," the "4something" was actually the "5," the "5" would be the "6," the "5something" will be the "7."

 

No one knows what the next phone will be called, but it's inarguable that calling it the iPhone 5 would be highly inaccurate in almost every way and "more wrong" than calling it "iPhone 6" since it will be the sixth phone and will have iOS 6.0 on it.  

post #61 of 94

regarding the design... i would expected one more closely related with iPad. That is, the back of the device could be just like the aluminum back of the iPad, in the same way the radii of the rounded corners is already the same, the home button is identical, etc. The slim profile would be very attractive, and the unified line of products would made harder to Samsung to copy that one also.

post #62 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Really?
Somehow, you're not very believable, considering that even if you narrow it down to the SIII phone, there are multiple different varieties. Different CPUs, different amounts of RAM.
I think it's unlikely that everyone who buys a Samsung phone knows exactly what they bought.

I did not say a Samsung phone, I said a Galaxy.  My parents have a samsung phone, but it is a cheap phone that runs what Samsung used to use as the OS.  I doubt they know the model.  

 

If somebody buys a Samsung Galaxy, they know they are buying a Galaxy.  Varieties do not matter, the phone is still a Galaxy.

post #63 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Schepper View Post

For some reason, you seem to be blatantly discrediting some valid points. Seems like you're bent on refuting whatever this guy has said, because instead of coming up with logical answers you criticize his questions, asking where they even come from.
Many of the poster's points are valid: if this is the next iPhone model, it would in fact possibly be disappointing to some to see essentially the same design that has been used in every iPhone. Apple may feel they have the perfect phone design and therefore do not need to make any changes, but a completely refreshed, new design accompanying logical changes (bigger screen, etc.) would be and nice and would surely entice many to buy it. Apple has released a phone with the same design for two years now - a phone which looks almost exactly the same with only minor dimensional changes seems to say that Apple is comfortable extending this for a third year.
Even by looking at mock ups, for example from last years supposed iPhone 5 with the slightly curved design, or even those stored in google image results, I can see some design, or elements of designs, which would not only make perfect sense in the next iPhone but would make it a far better product.
Anyway, I don't mean to criticize or be offensive, it's just my opinion after all.

 

I think your argument falls down at the point where you try to argue that this purported new iPhone is essentially only slightly different from the 4's and the 4s'. 

 

In fact, it's constructed differently, out of different materials, it's a different size (both taller and thinner), the two main ports are different and/or differently located, and the screen is not only a different size but a different aspect ratio as well.  These are also just the "macro" cosmetic changes.  There are many more differences in the software and OS.  

 

If it arrives as expected and is similar to the rumours, this year's iPhone will definitely be a "tick" instead of a "tock."  

post #64 of 94

Sorry but the form factor is getting dated and now its the stretch limo version.

 

I confess I liked the look of the S3 until I saw someone in real life put one to his ear. It looked like someone put a shoe to his ear.

 

Whats going to be innovative about it, Maps ? Google maps is better.

 

Some decent multi-tasking would be good, so you can read a message while watching a movie.  

 

4S was a let down, I hope Apple has something up its sleeve.

 

 

 

 

 

 

iMac 27" 2.93ghz i7 MacBook Air 13" iphone4 ipod classic AppleTV 

Reply

 

 

 

 

 

 

iMac 27" 2.93ghz i7 MacBook Air 13" iphone4 ipod classic AppleTV 

Reply
post #65 of 94

Anyone followed Steve Ballmer Announcement which just finished?  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/presskits/office/liveevent.aspx

post #66 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Anyone followed Steve Ballmer Announcement which just finished?  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/presskits/office/liveevent.aspx

38

Could you give us the condensed version? I'm too cool to view this video. Or so I was told a few years ago.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #67 of 94
Ok, I want to understand how you jailbreak a phone on your parents plan to stop paying for a data service? Huh? You signed up for a two-year committment when your parents bought the phone. I don't get it.
post #68 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

What a lot of rot.  You are basically arguing that if stupid people think the sky is green instead of blue that therefore the sky is green.  

 

There isn't really a logical pattern to iPhone naming so far, but of the most popular possibilities floated from time to time the "most wrong" is indeed "iPhone 5." The pattern behind the reasoning is:  

 

3 > 3something > 4 > 4something > 5 > 5something

 

But the "3" phone was actually the "2," the "4something" was actually the "5," the "5" would be the "6," the "5something" will be the "7."

 

No one knows what the next phone will be called, but it's inarguable that calling it the iPhone 5 would be highly inaccurate in almost every way and "more wrong" than calling it "iPhone 6" since it will be the sixth phone and will have iOS 6.0 on it.  

 

 

Your equating "the sky is green" with "the iPhone 5 follows the iPhone 4" shows how ridiculous your stance is.  I realize living in a binary world where everything is based on a *certain kind* of technical correctness makes it easier for you, but I'm sorry to say that "identity" comes from more than internal build numbers.  Giving the next iPhone a *nickname* of iPhone 5 is not only correct, it is sensible.  Why?  Because there is a precedent now for incremental naming.  3, 3GS, 4, 4S.  I'm sorry to have to ask, but do you see a pattern there?

 

Now, I'll also let you take back your "iPhone 6 == iOS 6" argument, because even you can't be that off to think that hardware #s should be linked to software #s.  After all, doesn't iOS 5 run on the "4" and "3GS"?

post #69 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

Ok, I want to understand how you jailbreak a phone on your parents plan to stop paying for a data service?

If you're with a carrier that has the iPhone legitimately, you don't, as the telecom will just add the plan back on.

I want to understand what that has to do with the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

I'm sorry to say that "identity" comes from more than internal build numbers.

The iPhone 4 was, internally, iPhone 3,1. Oops!
Quote:
Giving the next iPhone a *nickname* of iPhone 5 is not only correct, it is sensible.  Why?  Because there is a precedent now for incremental naming.
 

So 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5. Makes sense. Incremental. Well, at least the latter two syllables.
Quote:
Now, I'll also let you take back your "iPhone 6 == iOS 6" argument, because even you can't be that off to think that hardware #s should be linked to software #s.  After all, doesn't iOS 5 run on the "4" and "3GS"?

That's not the point. The software with which the thing ships is the point he's making. The iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone, had an A4 processor and shipped with iOS 4. The new iPhone will be the 6th iPhone, ship with iOS 6, and would've had an A6 had Apple chosen to change out the processor in the third iPad.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #70 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

The music was more expensive than the device.
Same with the 3GS and a data plan.

What's your point?   

My point is, what functional features are you shaving off the iPhone to make it fit your list?   If you say glass size, are you shrinking the pixels to run all the apps then require a stylus, or shrinking the interface to less than 480x320, and then no current apps, games will run, videos will look worse than a SVGA screen, and you can't read a web page or an email.

hardly a compelling experience.

And glass is the most expensive of component, followed by battery, the 2 things that define the dimensions.

I think Apple will gladly say... no thank you and say they want 
1) a compelling visual experience with our phones
2) the right feel in the hand
3) a rich set of features that applications can take advantage of.
4) a set of applications that run on our entire fleet of devices, from the low end phone, to the high end iPad.

Anything less than an iPhone 4 feature set at this point is not a smartphone.  It's a feature phone... 
My original point is that I would like to see Apple create an iPhone Nano but they can make it whatever they want it to be.

For such a product to be worthwhile it would have to be unique from the main iPhone and compel buyers from a particular market to purchase it. They could make it a phone in the vein of the iPod nano except with a screen big enough for videos and text messaging, which I think has potential especially with FaceTime and cameras. Or they could produce a phone for the prepaid market, which Cook said about a year ago he was interested in Apple entering that market. That phone would be more or less like a 3GS but it would have to be updated for different wireless radios and I think an updated casing would be a welcome addition to the phone. Either device has potential to draw new clients to the iPhone and increase Apple sales and market share globally. That's my case for an iPhone nano.
post #71 of 94

Hi TS, it's funny, but I thought you would show up on my post.

 

 

 

So, you said, "The iPhone 4 was, internally, iPhone 3,1. Oops!"

I'm glad you agree.  The numbers *beneath* the popular perceptions don't matter, just as calling the next version the "iPhone 6" is rooted in a inflexible technical straight-jacket of logic.

 

You said, "So 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5. Makes sense. Incremental. Well, at least the latter two syllables."

Huh?  People didn't call it the "iPhone 3" and then again the "iPhone 3", and then the "iPhone 4" and then the "iPhone 4".  Apple used 3, then 4, with "minor rev" model suffixes, and so now we're up to 5.  It doesn't matter that there isn't a "1" or "2".  Did I really need to point that out to you?

 

You said, "That's not the point..."

Though I disagree, I think that was his point, it's more important to note that you're putting words in his mouth.  Whether or not that was his point is unknown, and any support *he* gives of *your* assertions are now suspect.  Is there any unbiased reason you came to that statement's rescue?

post #72 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

The numbers *beneath* the popular perceptions don't matter, just as calling the next version the "iPhone 6" is rooted in a inflexible technical straight-jacket of logic.

Any more when we say 6 we mean '6th device', as in the next one, as in the phone coming out in Octoberish.

After that comes out, saying 'iPhone 5' won't make any sense, as people will think you mean the iPhone 4S when you mean the 6th iPhone, the new iPhone, called 'iPhone'.
Quote:
Huh?  People didn't call it the "iPhone 3" and then again the "iPhone 3", and then the "iPhone 4" and then the "iPhone 4".  Apple used 3, then 4, with "minor rev" model suffixes, and so now we're up to 5.

No, we're up to six.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #73 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

 

 

Your equating "the sky is green" with "the iPhone 5 follows the iPhone 4" shows how ridiculous your stance is.  I realize living in a binary world where everything is based on a *certain kind* of technical correctness makes it easier for you, but I'm sorry to say that "identity" comes from more than internal build numbers.  Giving the next iPhone a *nickname* of iPhone 5 is not only correct, it is sensible.  Why?  Because there is a precedent now for incremental naming.  3, 3GS, 4, 4S.  I'm sorry to have to ask, but do you see a pattern there?

 

Now, I'll also let you take back your "iPhone 6 == iOS 6" argument, because even you can't be that off to think that hardware #s should be linked to software #s.  After all, doesn't iOS 5 run on the "4" and "3GS"?

 

The pattern you are basing your logic off isn't actually there.

 

There was never an iPhone "3"... it was the iPhone "3G", as in 3G radio. So if we take that into account, let's see how this all shakes out...

 

iPhone (original)

iPhone 3G (named after major new feature)

iPhone 3GS (speed bump, nothing to do with phone revision)

iPhone 4 (the first iPhone with the identifier tied to the revision)

iPhone 4S (speed bump)

 

So your pattern now looks like: 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S... there is no pattern there.

post #74 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

As opposed to the content of this article, showing what the case for the new iPhone is. This is official and is reality.

 

Nope, not until Phil Schiller pulls one out of his pocket on stage. Nobody except Apple can make it 'official'. Until then, it's RUMOR.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #75 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post

 

The pattern you are basing your logic off isn't actually there.

 

There was never an iPhone "3"... it was the iPhone "3G", as in 3G radio. So if we take that into account, let's see how this all shakes out...

 

iPhone (original)

iPhone 3G (named after major new feature)

iPhone 3GS (speed bump, nothing to do with phone revision)

iPhone 4 (the first iPhone with the identifier tied to the revision)

iPhone 4S (speed bump)

 

So your pattern now looks like: 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S... there is no pattern there.

 

Anyone who truly doesn't see a pattern here is broken. And anyway, you *do* see the pattern, so give it up.

Here's a test, though I know those who "don't" see the pattern won't dare try it: ask a *non techie* person (99% of people) what will come after the iPhone 4S. They will not say iPhone 6. And yes, I tried it out on four people at the grocery store yesterday. One said "the new iPhone", one said "iPhone 5?", and two didn't use iPhones and had no idea. I expect that if I kept asking, someone would have come up with iPhone 6 eventually, but if the responses in this thread are an indication, that person would have been overly proud of "coming up with it". Now, why did I do a spot survey even though I'm so sure of myself - *JUST LIKE YOU ARE SURE OF YOURSELVES* - ??? Because I live in the real world with real people, and if we're arguing about what it should be called, then it make sense to ask someone other than yourself. If it helps any, it only takes two points to make a line, and 3...4 is a line. If you had to guess the next number, it *could* be 7, 12, -1, 34, blah blah, but the *best*, *no-tricks* answer is 5.

Now, I'm only going on about this because I see this as a deficiency of generic techies (and by-the-by I'm a programmer and software company owner): an inability to see how things are perceived by the general public, accompanied by a patronizing dismissal of what would otherwise be called common sense.

UPDATE: Now a 5th person has said "iPhone 5" after being informed that the one she had (she didn't know) was a 4S
post #76 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

I'm looking forward to seeing how Apple improves the next iPhone.

 

One rumored aspect I especially like is the new position of the headphone jack.  I've found that the current placement is quite cumbersome.  When it's in my pocket, the iPhone has to be upright so that it's not sitting on top of the headphone plug.  But when I take it out of my pocket from this position, it is upside down, so I have to rotate the iPhone in my hand to use it properly.  This is quite a hassle when you need to check your phone intermittently while listening to music.

 

This change alone may be enough to get me to upgrade.

 

Agreed. Also, while talking on the phone in the rain, there will be less chance of moisture getting into the phone.

post #77 of 94

Ugh... the fact of the matter is this. Apple is a tech company and they do things that technically make sense. This is why no matter what you say, they will not call it iPhone 5. They know that the customers don't care what it is called, they only care that it is the same iPhone that all of their friends have or that they see in the new snazzy commercials. So they will stick with their naming conventions of naming after major feature, revision, or just drop the identifier all together like they did with the iPad.

 

I understand your argument, and I give you credit for trying to push your perspective. But, since when has apple done something because that is just the way it is done?

 

And just for fun, could you please expand this sequence by 10 more places:

 

3G, 3GS, 4, 4S...

post #78 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

 

Anyone who truly doesn't see a pattern here is broken. And anyway, you *do* see the pattern, so give it up.

Here's a test, though I know those who "don't" see the pattern won't dare try it: ask a *non techie* person (99% of people) what will come after the iPhone 4S. They will not say iPhone 6. And yes, I tried it out on four people at the grocery store yesterday. One said "the new iPhone", one said "iPhone 5?", and two didn't use iPhones and had no idea. I expect that if I kept asking, someone would have come up with iPhone 6 eventually, but if the responses in this thread are an indication, that person would have been overly proud of "coming up with it". Now, why did I do a spot survey even though I'm so sure of myself - *JUST LIKE YOU ARE SURE OF YOURSELVES* - ??? Because I live in the real world with real people, and if we're arguing about what it should be called, then it make sense to ask someone other than yourself. If it helps any, it only takes two points to make a line, and 3...4 is a line. If you had to guess the next number, it *could* be 7, 12, -1, 34, blah blah, but the *best*, *no-tricks* answer is 5.

Now, I'm only going on about this because I see this as a deficiency of generic techies (and by-the-by I'm a programmer and software company owner): an inability to see how things are perceived by the general public, accompanied by a patronizing dismissal of what would otherwise be called common sense.

UPDATE: Now a 5th person has said "iPhone 5" after being informed that the one she had (she didn't know) was a 4S


Just so you know, no one really predicted that the 3rd iPad will be named "the new iPad" rather than an iPad 3. I asked a lot of people too. ^_^

Its not all about what common folk feel. Its about how crazy Apple wants to be with naming the thing.

post #79 of 94
That all looks very legit to me. I hope to see that arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Any more when we say 6 we mean '6th device', as in the next one, as in the phone coming out in Octoberish.

If you were to give that month a number what would it be? 8? 10? Something else? Based on the comments in this thread I'm guessing many would say 9.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #80 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
That all looks very legit to me. I hope to see that arrive.
If you were to give that month a number what would it be? 8? 10? Something else? Based on the comments in this thread I'm guessing many would say 9.

 

Didn't you learn your months as a kid? 

May, June, June 3G, August, August S, so September HAS to be next. That's month 9. :lol:

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported next-gen iPhone front panel has centered FaceTime camera