or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to offer iCloud.com email addresses with iOS 6
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to offer iCloud.com email addresses with iOS 6

post #1 of 65
Thread Starter 
Alongside the various new features seen in Monday's iOS 6 beta 3 release, Apple revealed that new and existing iCloud users will be getting new email addresses ending in "@iCloud.com" based to their AppleID account names when the mobile operating system rolls out later this year.

The migration to iCloud.com addresses is the second such change Apple product users have seen in the past four years, the first being a 2008 switch from ".Mac" to the soon-to-be defunct ".me" MobileMe service suite.

Apple stopped all MobileMe services on June 30 as the company moved to the more integrated iCloud service which allows for easy syncing between multiple devices. While the transition has not yet been made public, developers were made aware of the upcoming change in Apple's iOS 6 beta 3 that was seeded on Monday. Also revealed in today's change log was expanded settings tweaks for Apple's upcoming Maps app which will make its debut when iOS 6 launches later this fall.

From the update log:

icloud.com email addresses are now available for iCloud mail users. Users signing up for new Apple IDs, or enabling Mail on their iCloud account for the first time, will automatically receive an @icloud.com email address instead of a me.com email address. iCloud users with @me.com addresses that have been used with iOS 6 beta 3 will receive an @icloud.com email address that matches their @me.com address.


iOS 6 Mail
Apple's upcoming iOS will feature a revamped Mail app and new iCloud.com email accounts. | Source: Apple


It is unclear if Apple will keep existing .me accounts active after the iCloud.com rollout, but the company still continues such support for legacy .Mac users.
post #2 of 65
Just, Apple… can we merge our old Apple IDs upward? I like how my establishment date is 2003, but I'd love to just use the one account for absolutely everything, you know?

Can we still get @mac.com addresses? And if not, does this mean they'll be phasing out @me.com addresses?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #3 of 65

I wish I could use my .mac address. I really like my .mac address and hated when it went to .me

 

 I agree...why can't they combine these? 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #4 of 65

I still use my @mac.com, i really hope we don't have to give it up...

But i love how the two endings are connected (doesn't matter which one i use to log in, send to, log on to iTunes, etc,), i really hope it will be the same with @icloud.com, so we don't have to switch all our emails and tell all our contacts that we have changed address, that would just be a bummer...

post #5 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I wish I could use my .mac address. I really like my .mac address and hated when it went to .me

 

 I agree...why can't they combine these? 

I got both @mac.com and @me.com and it doesn't matter which one i use to log in with so when the went to @me.com it really didn't bother me at all because it never gave me any issue... :)

post #6 of 65

While we're at it, can we associate more than one email with a single account on the app store? Maybe different profiles for different members of the same family?
 

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #7 of 65

Personally I always thought that the me.com was quite cool. Most people never knew what it stood for.

 

Mind you I have never understood why people don't just register their own domains, doesn't cost much.

post #8 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I wish I could use my .mac address. I really like my .mac address and hated when it went to .me

 

 I agree...why can't they combine these? 

I don't like the .me address they gave me so I try to never use it.  But my .mac address works just fine still.

post #9 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

While we're at it, can we associate more than one email with a single account on the app store? Maybe different profiles for different members of the same family?
 

Excellent suggestion. itunesconnect seems to always get confused between "me.com" and "mac.com" (I forget which one it likes; I usually try both and one works).

 

I think Apple should just simplify, and go back to "mac.com." Jettison everything else. iCloud.com is cute, but it is neither necessary or particularly more useful.

post #10 of 65

Never depend on Apple for your formal permanent email address.

 

That is all.

 

Regards,

 

mstone@eworld.com

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #11 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just, Apple… can we merge our old Apple IDs upward? I like how my establishment date is 2003, but I'd love to just use the one account for absolutely everything, you know?
Can we still get @mac.com addresses? And if not, does this mean they'll be phasing out @me.com addresses?

There will be the deluxe version @macmeicloud.com for us veterans.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #12 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Never depend on Apple for your formal permanent email address.

That is all.

Regards,

mstone@eworld.com

I have ever since they were first available and been very happy with them by enlarge. They all still work fine.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #13 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


I have ever since they were first available and been very happy with them by enlarge. They all still work fine.

Perhaps you did not notice the email I signed with. Also my .mac email started becoming unreliable so I don't give it out anymore. Sometimes the mail would never show up which started happening after we switched to Mobileme. I haven't tested it since migrating to iCloud. But to make matters worse my Apple ID is a .mac email address however the email is .me. I used to use my .me address as a user ID but when I migrated to iCloud they changed it back to .mac for some reason. I'll never assume that Apple will keep any service for very long. They always axe them after a couple years.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #14 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have ever since they were first available and been very happy with them by enlarge. They all still work fine.
Same here.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #15 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

While we're at it, can we associate more than one email with a single account on the app store? Maybe different profiles for different members of the same family?
 

 

https://appleid.apple.com

 

Supports multiple emails tied to the account.

It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
Reply
It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
Reply
post #16 of 65

why can't they just get over themselves and allow custom domains to properly compete with other services

 

i use my own domain to prevent this sort of email change annoyance and to be provider independent - but i suppose that is what Apple don't want

 

getting more evil !

post #17 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Also my .mac email started becoming unreliable so I don't give it out anymore. Sometimes the mail would never show up which started happening after we switched to Mobileme. I haven't tested it since migrating to iCloud. But to make matters worse my Apple ID is a .mac email address however the email is .me. I used to use my .me address as a user ID but when I migrated to iCloud they changed it back to .mac for some reason. 

Conforms to my own frustrating experience. I have tested it since iCloud, and it's the same set of issues, perhaps slightly worse. It's laggy, buggy, emails arrive/get sent much later than with Gmail, Yahoo (both of which I still have, for legacy reasons and inertia), etc.

post #18 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post

why can't they just get over themselves and allow custom domains to properly compete with other services

i use my own domain to prevent this sort of email change annoyance and to be provider independent - but i suppose that is what Apple don't want

getting more evil !

What does this even mean? lol.gif Do you even have an old Apple ID?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #19 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Perhaps you did not notice the email I signed with. Also my .mac email started becoming unreliable so I don't give it out anymore. Sometimes the mail would never show up which started happening after we switched to Mobileme. I haven't tested it since migrating to iCloud. But to make matters worse my Apple ID is a .mac email address however the email is .me. I used to use my .me address as a user ID but when I migrated to iCloud they changed it back to .mac for some reason. I'll never assume that Apple will keep any service for very long. They always axe them after a couple years.

Sounds like you have gotten a confused set up. Who is 'they' in that? Apple didn't change @me back to @mac when @icloud came out I assure you. If that happened for you then something got screwed up in the process. Are you sure you have not got ID and email usage mixed up?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #20 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Conforms to my own frustrating experience. I have tested it since iCloud, and it's the same set of issues, perhaps slightly worse. It's laggy, buggy, emails arrive/get sent much later than with Gmail, Yahoo (both of which I still have, for legacy reasons and inertia), etc.

That's weird, I can do a side by side (as in have friend send me to all at same time) with gmail, mac and me I have and there is no difference.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #21 of 65

DEAR APPLE!

 

I love my @mac.com Address…  I'd love to use it FOREVER!!! I suspect that there are a lot of Mac Users that feel the same way!!! If you doubt that, please Set Up a Petition or should should "We The Customers"  just use this Feedback Page at Apple.com http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html ? I've just expressed my feelings there.

 

Choosing "Mail" under Feedback Type was my best guess, but I wish I didn't have to guess…. Either way, I've included a Link to this Forum Discussion in my Feedback, as a way of Can You Hear Me Now, Apple!!! I others will do the same, so that this Entire Discussion becomes a de facto Petition to Apple!!! Otherwise, how can we really know that Apple is definitely reading this Discussion to gage the Feedback from its Customers?

 

To me @me.com address sounded sounded and felt silly… so  @icloud.com would be an improvement! But, I •• LOVE •• my @mac.com address, and I still want to use it to give Apple and Specifically, Mac OS, a pr plug, and as a matter of Pride for being a Long Time Apple Fan, User, Supporter!!! 

 

Logistically, Changing my Email Address would be a pain in the neck: 

 

Those who have Paper Stationary, Business Cards, etc. would have another unwelcome expense…. 

 

Trying to notify everyone of my email address change! Particularly problematic would be some Billing and other Sites User IDs Registration!!! That's why I've always relied on @mac.com Address for •important• communications, knowing that, in case of a problem, there would be a Human somewhere at Apple to talk to, at least in Theory, as opposed to Gmail, Yahoo etc….  


Edited by macologist - 7/16/12 at 2:51pm

Go  Apple!!!

Reply

Go  Apple!!!

Reply
post #22 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
...  Users signing up for new Apple IDs, or enabling Mail on their iCloud account for the first time, will automatically receive an @icloud.com email address instead of a me.com email address. ...
It is unclear if Apple will keep existing .me accounts active after the iCloud.com rollout, but the company still continues such support for legacy .Mac users.

 

For many of us, all this means is another deluge of SPAM.  

 

As a .Mac user from the beginning of the service and before, when they changed to me.com there was an absolute avalanche of SPAM to the me.com alias of my account that continues to this day.  Now all the spammers will know that they can send out stuff to random .iCloud email accounts and get a response also.  

 

Meanwhile any of my friends that inadvertently send email to the *.me or now the *.iCloud address will go into the SPAM filter by mistake.  Lots of fun.  

post #23 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Never depend on Apple for your formal permanent email address.

 

That is all.

 

Regards,

 

mstone@eworld.com

 

I find it hard to believe that no one noticed the @eworld.com.

 

Do they really not know?

 

eworld_des_medium.jpg

post #24 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

DEAR APPLE!

 

I love my @mac.com Address…  I'd love to use it FOREVER!!! I suspect that there are a lot of Mac Users that feel the same way!!! If you doubt that, please Set Up a Petition or should I just use http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html as Feedback Page at Apple.com site that you don't have to take my word for it...

 

To me @me.com address sounded sounded and felt silly… so  @icloud.com would be an improvement! But, I •• LOVE •• my @mac.com address, and I still want to use it to give Apple and Specifically, Mac OS, a pr plug, and as a matter of Pride for being a Long Time Apple Fan, User, Supporter!!! 

 

Logistically, it would be a pain in the neck trying to notify everyone of my email address change! Particularly problematic would be some Billing and other Sites User IDs Registration!!! That's why I've always relied on @mac.com Address for •important• communications, knowing that, in case of a problem, there would be a Human somewhere at Apple to talk to, at least in Theory, as opposed to Gmail, Yahoo etc…. 

 

Whether or not they stick to it remains to be seen, but Apple has already promised in no uncertain terms and with no qualifiers, that the .mac addresses will remain in perpetuity and not as aliases but as real email addresses.  Forever, (or for as long as Apple is in existence).  

 

If as you imply they are about to go back on this statement, there will be a lot of upset people out there.  Possibly even a class action lawsuit.  

post #25 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

As a .Mac user from the beginning of the service and before, when they changed to me.com there was an absolute avalanche of SPAM to the me.com alias of my account that continues to this day.  Now all the spammers will know that they can send out stuff to random .iCloud email accounts and get a response also.

I've never received a single spam e-mail on any of my Apple addresses.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #26 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


Sounds like you have gotten a confused set up. Who is 'they' in that? Apple didn't change @me back to @mac when @icloud came out I assure you. If that happened for you then something got screwed up in the process. Are you sure you have not got ID and email usage mixed up?

I may be confused but the problem is Apple is constantly changing things so I ended up with too many IDs and logins and some are alias of others and some are unique and some have purchases and some are just iCloud. They want to make it seamless when they make changes so they do it in the background however in doing so they just make it more confusing because I don't know what they have done. I have purchases on more than one ID which is a mess when you try to sync stuff from your iPhone or iPad. How anyone can keep track is surprising.

 

Like right now my developer annual fees are due and I have to figure out which ID they are because originally they were on my business ID but when they switched out the professional program for the $99 dollar one I somehow got the iOS dev on one account and the Mac dev on another. It is my fault for not paying enough attention to which account I was logging into but they totally allow you to screw it up. If you pay on a different Apple ID than you had first time around they should notify you. It just says log in but it doesn't tell you which account when you click on the renew link in the email.


Edited by mstone - 7/16/12 at 2:50pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #27 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


I've never received a single spam e-mail on any of my Apple addresses.

We all know how special you are. ;-)

post #28 of 65

I figured that if Apple has bought the domain name and pointed it to the MobileMe and dotMac servers for the beta testers, it should work for everyone right now. I experimented by sending myself a message to myname@icloud.com. It worked just fine. 

 

If you an old timer, no need to panic. Nothing is being phased out, you just have three synonymous addresses for the same email. All three domain names point to the exact same servers. Use whichever one you like. Apple has no motivation to discontinue any of the domain names, because the cost of maintaining a domain name is very low.

 

Try it.

post #29 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

We all know how special you are. ;-)

I'm just saying, you get spam if you give spam. For Apple domains, the spammers don't seem to be using random e-mail generators to punch spam out to every possible address, so it has to be coming from someone you've given your e-mail.

For Yahoo!, well, they either whore you out or just LET the random generators have their way with you.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #30 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I may be confused but the problem is Apple is constantly changing things so I ended up with too many IDs and logins and some are alias of others and some are unique and some have purchases and some are just iCloud. They want to make it seamless when they make changes so they do it in the background however in doing so they just make it more confusing because I don't know what they have done. I have purchases on more than one ID which is a mess when you try to sync stuff from your iPhone or iPad. How anyone can keep track is surprising.

Like right now my developer annual fees are due and I have to figure out which ID they are because originally they were on my business ID but when they switched out the professional program for the $99 dollar one I somehow got the iOS dev on one account and the Mac dev on another. It is my fault for not paying enough attention to which account I was logging into but they totally allow you to screw it up. If you pay on a different Apple ID than you had first time around they should notify you. It just says log in but it doesn't tell you which account when you click on the renew link in the email.

I forget how I did it now to be honest but I merged or joined my Mac and Me IDs so my dev account accepted either and so does every thing else from iTunes to Apple Store. There we instructions on how to do this somewhere I recall.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #31 of 65

@mac.com + @me.com + @icloud.com = @apple.com

 

I think that Apple should offer @apple.com email addresses to all of us... lol.gif

post #32 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


Sounds like you have gotten a confused set up. Who is 'they' in that? Apple didn't change @me back to @mac when @icloud came out I assure you. If that happened for you then something got screwed up in the process. Are you sure you have not got ID and email usage mixed up?

 

His experience is the same I'm experiencing too. I've always bought apps and videos under my @me ID but shortly after I converted to an iCloud account, every time I purchase anything with @me, it automatically converts to @mac. I haven't used that address since @mac and NEVER made it into an AppleID. Apple started using what was an alias (@mac) to my @me account and every time I input the @me AppleID, Apple servers change it on the fly to the @mac AppleID. I never made that ID ever!. My @me email works with both as aliases. But all purchasing is now forced into the @mac AppleID. The @me ID show zero purchases, even though some were bought way before this iCloud change and showed up under the @me ID before this started happening. @mac and @me might be aliases for Apple email but they are totally two different AppleID accounts when it comes to purchasing anything.

post #33 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Whether or not they stick to it remains to be seen, but Apple has already promised in no uncertain terms and with no qualifiers, that the .mac addresses will remain in perpetuity and not as aliases but as real email addresses.  Forever, (or for as long as Apple is in existence).  

 

If as you imply they are about to go back on this statement, there will be a lot of upset people out there.  Possibly even a class action lawsuit.  

I really hope that you are correct about @Mac.com Email remaining "forever"!!! I am just expressing a concern, so that, in case Apple is possibly considering a change, that they know there will be plenty upset loyal customers! I'd love to see the Official Apple Page that confirms your statement: 

 

Apple has already promised in no uncertain terms and with no qualifiers, that the .mac addresses will remain in perpetuity and not as aliases but as real email addresses.  Forever, (or for as long as Apple is in existence).  

 

Thanks in advance for that Link, Gazoobee!!!!  

Go  Apple!!!

Reply

Go  Apple!!!

Reply
post #34 of 65

what about @icloudmemac... has a "je ne sais quoi" to it ;-P

post #35 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post

why can't they just get over themselves and allow custom domains to properly compete with other services

i use my own domain to prevent this sort of email change annoyance and to be provider independent - but i suppose that is what Apple don't want

getting more evil !

I am not sure what you mean. I have my own domain name and use it with the rest of my email for my Apple ID. I don't use .mac. or .me. except on the rarest of occasions. I have my mail set up with GoDaddy where I setup my domain name at no further cost and get by with all of Apples services just fine. You do realize that with your accounts with Apple you can configure it with any address you want i.e., it does not assume you are using one they provided. The only problem I had with an Apple ID is when they started requiring it be an e mail address since I had set mine up as a username (just had to get them to reconnect things about a year ago when it got too difficult to workaround it not being in the form of e mail adds).
post #36 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


I'm just saying, you get spam if you give spam. For Apple domains, the spammers don't seem to be using random e-mail generators to punch spam out to every possible address, so it has to be coming from someone you've given your e-mail.
For Yahoo!, well, they either whore you out or just LET the random generators have their way with you.

Well, without revealing what it is, my email address is a short word that is an actual word in real life.  Lots of email addresses are like this of course.  

 

This means that when Apple makes a big announcement about changing to .me or now .iCloud that spammers will start to send out email to (name/word)@iCloud.com trying to find new active addresses.  They will also randomly send spam to (name found on internet page) + "@icloud.com".  

 

The only way to fight this is to continue to only use your *.mac address and send all the other stuff to the bin.  However when you have friends that know you have an Apple account, they occasionally send email to *.me (or now *.iCloud), by mistake meaning you will miss some email.  

 

I'm guessing you never experienced any of this because your email address is some unintelligible string of characters instead of a proper word/noun/name etc.  

post #37 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

I find it hard to believe that no one noticed the @eworld.com.

Do they really not know?

LL

I remember it well (and Apple Link before that) but it has been a while and if you remember back to that time it was far from Apples greatest successes. It was a cool concept (the village thing) but got outgrown and overtaken by the rest of the internet that saw no need for the facade -- it was ahead of its time as was Sherlock.Neither received the attention necessary to keep them going (Apple was a much smaller entity back then).
post #38 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well, without revealing what it is, my email address is a short word that is an actual word in real life.  Lots of email addresses are like this of course.  

This means that when Apple makes a big announcement about changing to .me or now .iCloud that spammers will start to send out email to (name/word)@iCloud.com trying to find new active addresses.  They will also randomly send spam to (name found on internet page) + "@icloud.com".  

The only way to fight this is to continue to only use your *.mac address and send all the other stuff to the bin.  However when you have friends that know you have an Apple account, they occasionally send email to *.me (or now *.iCloud), by mistake meaning you will miss some email.  

I'm guessing you never experienced any of this because your email address is some unintelligible string of characters instead of a proper word/noun/name etc.  

Or maybe he uses a reasonable filter for his mail instead of trashing everything sent to .me or .mac. Some of the default ones in Mail (e.g., if in address book or if uses my full name) do a very nice job at handling friends and companies you deal with. No point in throwing out the baby with the bath water.
post #39 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well, without revealing what it is, my email address is a short word that is an actual word in real life.

Ah, there you go.
Quote:
I'm guessing you never experienced any of this because your email address is some unintelligible string of characters instead of a proper word/noun/name etc.  

Of course not. It's my name. Heavens…

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #40 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post


Or maybe he uses a reasonable filter for his mail instead of trashing everything sent to .me or .mac. Some of the default ones in Mail (e.g., if in address book or if uses my full name) do a very nice job at handling friends and companies you deal with. No point in throwing out the baby with the bath water.

 

I get a large volume of mail and with the exception of a a few errors by my friends and relatives, nothing going to *.me or *.iCloud is anything but spam.  My filter is thus eminently "reasonable."  

 

I always use .Mac, I always have, and it's been my main email address since the day the service started and despite all the glib remarks, it *is* a bit of a problem Apple is creating here by constantly changing the name of their online identity and the services associated with it.  I don't understand why some people here are so f*cking hot to be "right" that they deny this simple fact simply because they personally are not affected.  

 

There are lots of people with the same problem as I.  I have met them and talked to them online lots of times.  Anyone who happens to be called something simple or have a simple name, and got in early to get their email address suffers the same fate.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to offer iCloud.com email addresses with iOS 6