or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Domestic data shows Mac sales down 10% in June quarter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Domestic data shows Mac sales down 10% in June quarter - Page 2

post #41 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

 

You can give Tallest Skil a calculator after you've used it to work out that 4GB of storage in the HTC One V is smaller than 64GB in the iPod Touch.

Add £20 to 25 for the cheapest price of a 32GB microSD card.

 

A 32GB iPod Touch cost £249 (see Apple UK Online Store) is almost a pound cheaper than the HTC One V but with four times the capacity.

 

I anticipate you'll argue that the HTC has unlimited storage as you can swap unlimited number of cards but then each card needs to be paid for, driving the price of your solution up.

Furthermore your HTC One V can only access content on one card at a time.

 And you can learn how to use google whilst the calculator is being passed around

 

£277.94 will get you a HTC One V with a 64gb SD card

 

£329.00 for the 64gb ipodtouch

 

Erm, which is cheaper?

 

 

Oh... and if you want to be really arsey, the card has a 5 year waranty, the phone has two years. Vs one year for the ipod. Also factor in the fact that the oner will be less likely to use the iTunes store and they can save 3% in VAT on music downloads

post #42 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

It builds a nice story, but not exactly what he asked.

You also didn't bother to visit the sites I have posted. He asked me for the source of my numbers from Apple and I have provided what he asked for.

post #43 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


So it's £324.99 vs £∞. Because you have to actually pay that PAYG if you want the phone that cheap, you see. And it doesn't say how long you have to keep paying that, so you have to extrapolate (or you could tell me; I'm not familiar with UK stuff).

No it's just £324.99 

 

In the UK PAYG means that you can either top up the sim whenever you want, or you can let it run out of cash if it suits. You are not locked into any knd of contract.

 

Carephonewarehouse actually charge more for a phone that is not supplied with a PAYG sim card because of the carrier subsidies. Additionally their PAYG phones are not cell locked

 

I have purchased PAYG phones from them, used any free 3.5G credit, binned the sim and then put my regular contract sim in

 

From this side of the pond your cell phone contracts look REALLY expensive. http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/plans/?priceplan=fullmonty the t-mobile full monty offers "unlimited" data, SMS and 2000 mins of calls for £33 ($50ish) plus a Gs3- for £30, a 4s would cost £200   or pay £41 and get unlimited everything (bar premium rate numbers)

post #44 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 Does it even play podcasts? At least Windows Phone does that.

 

Yeah they play podcasts, you can get free apps on the play store, however, its like pulling teeth to actually get the podcasts onto the devices, using web links & such, but yes, they do play podcast.

 

 

From what i've been reading there are a bunch of people here that are disconnected with reality, arguing for apples Honor.
if a teenager asks his parents for a new phone, they say you have to pick a cheap one, then the parents come back with the choice of getting an iPod touch :S & then buy a phone on top of that, i would think they were nuts.

alot of the average people out there don't have the brand loyalties yet, they would take a cheap & nasty android phone over an iPod touch, i would bet just because it would boast the same sort of features the more expensive phones advertise.
If i was on a tight budget & needed a phone, i would probably have an android phone, id wish i had an iPhone, its iPhone is still a premium device, the money issue for phones isn't a problem for me so i'll continue to happily use iPhones but i can completely understand why someone who has budget issues would not choose apple.

No point using flawed logic here, people should get real sometimes.

post #45 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Why is everyone talking about the iPhone and iPod touch in a thread about Mac sales being down?

Good question.

Increasingly, that's the way AI works: some pro-Android troll posts a random, vaguely anti-Apple comment, and everybody piles on, giving the troll the jollies, so he responds with another random, vaguely anti-Apple comment......

Rinse; repeat.
post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

 

The 60 million numbers here. If you want the total number of Apple iPods sales from 2007 to March 2011 (when this number was reported) then I suggest you go Apple PR, dig through the press releases, and add the numbers.

 

Here is when Apple said more than 50% of the iPod sales are iPod touches.

 

My guess is you will not even bother going through any of the links I have provided.

 Surely it would make more sense for you to demonstrate your maths?

 

All your earlier post showed was that the sales of the ipod touch relative to the ipod had increased not that actual sales had.

 

If you show your working outs then Shaun will be proven wrong.

post #47 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You also didn't bother to visit the sites I have posted. He asked me for the source of my numbers from Apple and I have provided what he asked for.


I did visit the stes you provided.  None of which provide the answer to the question he asked.


What you did provide is a range of values, and built an estimate based upon said values.  Not what he asked.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post


I did visit the stes you provided.  None of which provide the answer to the question he asked.


What you did provide is a range of values, and built an estimate based upon said values.  Not what he asked.

So Apple saying they have sold 60m iPod touches between 09/2007 and 3/2011 is an estimate? and them saying the iPod touch accounts 50% of iPods sold is another estimate?


Edited by NasserAE - 7/16/12 at 7:36pm
post #49 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

 Surely it would make more sense for you to demonstrate your maths?

 

All your earlier post showed was that the sales of the ipod touch relative to the ipod had increased not that actual sales had.

 

If you show your working outs then Shaun will be proven wrong.

 

If he want to educate himself then he should do it himself. I am not going to spend my time spoon-feeding the information. He should do his own homework.

post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Would you like me to repeat what I said? I said that sales of the iPod Touch are falling because you can buy a perfectly good smartphone for less money than an iPod Touch.

You've argued several times in this very thread that Apple doesn't break down the iPod Touch unit sales and yet you're now claiming — as fact! — what you previously stated — as fact! — could not be known.

Bottom line: iPod sales are falling not because there are some smartphones that are sold for less money than an iPod Touch but because the cost of a smartphone -and- a PMP is not an ideal choice since the iPhone era (good PMP apps in smartphones) emerged.
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/16/12 at 8:12pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #51 of 66
The US numbers are almost irrelevant. Apple's growth is driven by China.
Edited by ifij775 - 7/16/12 at 9:48pm
post #52 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

The US numbers are almost irrelevant. Apple's growth is driven by China.

Er, not only China, it is more of a global thing.

Btw I don't think Apple's competitors would complaint if they have the sales number of the IPod.

Does it mean when the iPod sales number falls the sun isn't going to shine anymore.

Apple's iHaters will hate Apple per se but so what.
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Have you used the PMP app on it? How is it? Does it even play podcasts? At least Windows Phone does that.
And this cost of £149, where are you seeing it? I'm seeing a cost of $299. What store has it at that price with no strings attached? What is the battery life as a PMP? Why do put things like number of Hertz in the processor when talking about PMPs?

 

Vodafone sell the Nokia Lumia 610 running Windows Phone for £150 on PAYG in the UK. No contract though the phone is locked to Vodafone.

post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Why is everyone talking about the iPhone and iPod touch in a thread about Mac sales being down?

Shaun started this in the opening post, responding to a piece in the article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Can someone tell me what RM means?

 

Where did you read that? I think it stands for Revenue in Millions.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

So Apple saying they have sold 60m iPod touches between 09/2007 and 3/2011 is an estimate? and them saying the iPod touch accounts 50% of iPods sold is another estimate?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

 

If he want to educate himself then he should do it himself. I am not going to spend my time spoon-feeding the information. He should do his own homework.

 

Given that it would only take you minutes to prove that Shaun UK is wrong. You are starting to look like someone who thought that they saw something that doesn't exist but is unable (or unwilling) to back down.

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Funny how the iPod grew YoY when smartphones existed long before the iPhone and yet their highest year of sales was in 2008, the year after the iPhone was released. It's almost like the iPhone is the catalyst, not the existence of smartphones and their shitty shitty bang bang music players.
Now you're changing your story. Originally you said it's because smartphones are cheaper overall than an iPod (which isn't true) and now you're saying that it's because people don't want to carry two devices (which is what I said in an earlier comment with the additional qualifier that the iPhone had a great music player built-in).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


iPods are still considerably cheaper, have no service plans and make for really good PMPs. How is that BB Curve at playing podcasts?
Your rationale is off. iPod sales are down because no one cares about iPods but because people have phones and if they can get a phone that makes for an adequate iPod replacement — like the iPhone which sold more this quarter than I think the iPod has ever sold in a quarter — then they don't need two devices.
You never stated that, you just said that phones, as a standalone device, are cheaper than iPods, and eluded to anything being labeled as a smartphone (though you really mean a feature phone running Android) makes for a great iPod replacement, which is simply not the case.

Kettle calling the pot black!!!

 

One minute your talking about the touch, dismissing suggestions that a smartphone is cheaper (just becuase google skews your search results). After numerous members prove otherwise you switch tact to include ipods as a whole. Then claim that kids wouldn't consider buying an android because it is crap at playing pod castsor because it is less feature rich than a dedicated PMP. Have you not noticed that for many kids being able to consume music is more important than the quality of the music? Do you really think that kids who are happy to sit on the bus playing music through the crappy speaker on their phone give a hoot for Hertz rates or even know what they are.

 

I do not know any teenager who, presented with the option of a phone worth £399  or an ipod touch woud select the latter. Granted, they will have to pay some nominal fee to use all of the features of the phone when out and about but from their perspective it is far more feature rich than the ipod touch option.

 

Although ShaunUK has been called a fandroid throughout this thread, he has not slagged off Apple's products. He merely suggested that apple need to look at the ipod touch. That you seem so offended you need to defend apple at the merest hint of decent in the ranks speaks volumes about you. Your umwilliness to accept when you are wrong and the constant tactic of shiting your definitions makes you look needy, which is a shame because even when you are right the non partisan reader will be blinded by your obfuscation.

post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Where did you read that? I think it stands for Revenue in Millions.

 The graphic in the first post mentions cy rm and fy rm

 

I believe, as you hinted, they mean Fiscal Year Revenue Millions and Calender Year Revenue Millions

post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

 And you can learn how to use google whilst the calculator is being passed around

 

£277.94 will get you a HTC One V with a 64gb SD card

 

£329.00 for the 64gb ipodtouch

 

I know how to use Google, it tells me that:

 

  1. the 64GB SDXC card you link to is PHYSICALLY TOO BIG to go into the microSD slot of the HTC One V
  2. HTC One V can only take micro SDHC cards which have a maximum capacity of 32GB
  3. even if it could take microSDXC cards, the cheapest 64GB microSDXC card is £43, and usually in the £60 to 80 range.

 

(See https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/capacity/ and http://www.htc.com/uk/smartphones/htc-one-v/#specs)

 

hungover, you're arrogant in telling others to learn when you're posting mistakes here with basic maths, geometry and comprehension.

post #58 of 66

Mac sales are down because they haven't updated the Mac Pro in years (and still haven't!) and the iMac is over a year old...and the Mac Mini, well...

 

...they aren't maximising Desktop sales.  That's up to them I guess.  But the components are there.

 

It's up to them.

 

We're still in a recession.  Don't let anyone kid you otherwise.  (Hello to the gamblers on Wallstreet...)  Apple chose to hike their prices in 2008.  I've been amazed that their sales grew as they did.  Well done them, I guess.

 

It was a matter of time before they reached the ceiling.  A grand for a 21 inch entry iMac with integrated crapics...that's over a year old.  No surprise sales are down.  Just over 2 grand for a 'pro' with a quad processor and an ancient gpu?  Puh-lease.  

 

iPods?  Same 'ancient' feature creep.  Same Apple.  Nickle and diming.  'Money isn't everything.'  Steve Jobs.  No.  But we'll screw your pooch for out of date tech'.

 

They've had a good run.  Especially in the last year as prices stay inflated and the desktop line rots.

 

If they get nominal growth thanks to the laptop updates then they've done well.

 

Roll on the retina iMac sometime next year.  With a decent GPU I hope.

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #59 of 66

Er...guys(!) the thread is about Mac sales slowing or something...

 

GUYS!

 

Give it a rest about the smart phones and iPods.  I'm fed up of hearing about them over the last 5 years. :P

 

Let's get back to moaning about the X-Mac.

 

Lemon Bon Bon. 

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

 

I know how to use Google, it tells me that:

 

  1. the 64GB SDXC card you link to is PHYSICALLY TOO BIG to go into the microSD slot of the HTC One V
  2. HTC One V can only take micro SDHC cards which have a maximum capacity of 32GB
  3. even if it could take microSDXC cards, the cheapest 64GB microSDXC card is £43, and usually in the £60 to 80 range.

 

(See https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/capacity/ and http://www.htc.com/uk/smartphones/htc-one-v/#specs)

 

hungover, you're arrogant in telling others to learn when you're posting mistakes here with basic maths, geometry and comprehension.

 Good point. My bad, I was being sloppy and didn't check the specs/facts properly. Sorry :(

 

I retract my suggestion that you need a calculator and agree that I made a mistake in selecting that handset/card combo. . I accepted in a later post that TallestSkill didn't understand how PAYG works over here.

 

Arrogance aside, my inherent flaws don't detract from the fact that you can get a smartphone with removable storage for less than an ipodtouch but I agree that the phone mentioned would require  two and not one sd card

 

 

 

 

 

edit_ after reviewing my earlier post I would like to offer you my unreserved apologies. I was both rude and

unnecessarily aggressive. I try to conduct myself with more dignity than that ordinarilly. The fact that so many other forum members are used to witnessing or engaging in such behavour does not excuse me acting in such a manner. I shall endeavour  to act like a grown up forthwith. Once again, sorry


Edited by hungover - 7/17/12 at 6:39am
post #61 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Shaun started this in the opening post, responding to a piece in the article.

Where did you read that? I think it stands for Revenue in Millions.


In the table, where it says FY RM and CY RM.  FY and CY stand for financial year and calendar year.  But what's RM?  Don't think it's revenues.

 

So NPD is projecting 10% drop in Mac sales in June quarter but Munster is projecting 5% growth? That's a huge discrepancy!

post #62 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Why is everyone talking about the iPhone and iPod touch in a thread about Mac sales being down?

Thank you, beat me to it. Thread derailment at it's best eh?

I assume Mac sales were related to those awaiting release of new product, nothing alarming if so.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #63 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Mac sales are down because they haven't updated the Mac Pro in years (and still haven't!) and the iMac is over a year old...and the Mac Mini, well...

...they aren't maximising Desktop sales.  That's up to them I guess.  But the components are there.

It's up to them.

We're still in a recession.  Don't let anyone kid you otherwise.  (Hello to the gamblers on Wallstreet...)  Apple chose to hike their prices in 2008.  I've been amazed that their sales grew as they did.  Well done them, I guess.

It was a matter of time before they reached the ceiling.  A grand for a 21 inch entry iMac with integrated crapics...that's over a year old.  No surprise sales are down.  Just over 2 grand for a 'pro' with a quad processor and an ancient gpu?  Puh-lease.  

iPods?  Same 'ancient' feature creep.  Same Apple.  Nickle and diming.  'Money isn't everything.'  Steve Jobs.  No.  But we'll screw your pooch for out of date tech'.

They've had a good run.  Especially in the last year as prices stay inflated and the desktop line rots.

If they get nominal growth thanks to the laptop updates then they've done well.

Roll on the retina iMac sometime next year.  With a decent GPU I hope.

Lemon Bon Bon.

I don't think the delays between model upgrades is that big a deal any more. Even today's iMac is more than fast enough for the overwhelming majority of users. The Mac Pro is slightly different, but it was only a couple of months ago that Intel had faster Xeon processors available - and even there, the difference is modest. The Mac Mini is the same as the iMac - the current version meets most people's needs quite well. Even my 5-6 year old MacBook Pro handles most of the tasks I do with aplomb, so anyone with a 2-3 year old computer is probably not in a hurry to upgrade.

In the 90's, you couldn't get enough computer horsepower and there was a huge incentive to upgrade as soon as a faster computer came out. Today, not so much.

Now, Retina display might change that equation slightly. Or if they ever come out with another great feature that can not be readily accomplished with the older models. But features will drive upgrades, not a tiny increase in CPU power.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #64 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't think the delays between model upgrades is that big a deal any more. Even today's iMac is more than fast enough for the overwhelming majority of users. The Mac Pro is slightly different, but it was only a couple of months ago that Intel had faster Xeon processors available - and even there, the difference is modest. The Mac Mini is the same as the iMac - the current version meets most people's needs quite well. Even my 5-6 year old MacBook Pro handles most of the tasks I do with aplomb, so anyone with a 2-3 year old computer is probably not in a hurry to upgrade.
In the 90's, you couldn't get enough computer horsepower and there was a huge incentive to upgrade as soon as a faster computer came out. Today, not so much.
Now, Retina display might change that equation slightly. Or if they ever come out with another great feature that can not be readily accomplished with the older models. But features will drive upgrades, not a tiny increase in CPU power.

I agree the Mac Pro is slightly different and not just from the CPU standpoint. I didn't used to agree about a mid tower but with the advances like Thunderbolt I now believe there could be a smaller Mac Pro since external storage via TB really makes more than two bays obsolete and video technology has advanced recently enough to end the poor video pros seem to always get by default. I really hope Apple have a sleek new, lighter mind blowing pro machine in the works.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #65 of 66
Apple Is Doomed™. The Mac Is Dead™.
post #66 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree the Mac Pro is slightly different and not just from the CPU standpoint. I didn't used to agree about a mid tower but with the advances like Thunderbolt I now believe there could be a smaller Mac Pro since external storage via TB really makes more than two bays obsolete and video technology has advanced recently enough to end the poor video pros seem to always get by default. I really hope Apple have a sleek new, lighter mind blowing pro machine in the works.

Hmm, less HDD. I think people would like the option to add more HDD's into a newly internal design. Personally I cannot stand the noise, that's why I am moving to PCIe SSD. By compressing everything (jpg vs raw, mp3 vs flac/Apple lossless etcetera) I am able to keep things small. But Pro People will might like a MP with ≈12 perpendicular HDD's in it(?)
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Domestic data shows Mac sales down 10% in June quarter