or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ex-Google exec Marissa Mayer to take helm at Yahoo

Ex-Google exec Marissa Mayer to take helm at Yahoo

post #1 of 82
In a surprising turn of events it was announced on Monday that long-time Google executive Marissa Mayer tendered her resignation and will start at her new position as president and CEO at Yahoo on Tuesday.

The former executive's departure not only marks a devastating loss for Google but an uncommon win for Yahoo, a company that has had trouble attracting and retaining top talent in recent years.

Mayer, who started with the internet search giant as employee No. 20, was an integral part of Google's success and played a large role in creating the site's search homepage, Gmail, Google News and Google Images, reports The New York Times. The former high-ranking executive was also responsible for Google Maps, was in charge of more than 1,000 product managers and sat on Google's operating committee.

Hired as Google's first female engineer 13 years ago, Mayer has been highly visible in the public arena as she was often tapped to give keynote presentations and be the face of the company in a variety of magazine articles. Despite her impressive credentials progress up the corporate ladder at Mountain View appeared uncertain following her last promotion to vice president of local services.

While Mayer said she ?had an amazing time at Google," the new Yahoo chief noted that "it was a reasonably easy decision? to make the move. She went on to say that Yahoo is ?one of the best brands on the Internet." The newly-minted CEO was approached about the position in June.

Marissa Mayer
New Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer.

As head of Yahoo, Mayer said she plans to leverage the company?s e-mail, finance and sports brands as well as push its presence in the video broadband and mobile sectors.

Mayer will be taking the place of Scott Thompson who resigned after four months on the job when the legitimacy of his college degree was called into question. Yahoo's leadership has been in flux since Carol Bartz took over for company co-founder Jerry Yang in 2009 only to be ousted in 2011. Yang regained the title of "Chief Yahoo" but resigned in January to pursue other interests.
post #2 of 82

Six months tops. Next!

'not saying she's not capable. Yahoo may simply be too messed up for a quick turnaround. We'll see.

Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #3 of 82

If Apple really wants to put the kibosh on Google, they could take a page from Yahoo's playbook and hire away their top talent. Brain drain!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Six months tops. Next!

'not saying she's not capable. Yahoo may simply be too messed up for a quick turnaround. We'll see.

I think she'll do better, however she should pull a power player's move and fire the entire board of directors. Yahoo's board is currently the worst thing about that organization.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think she'll do better, however she should pull a power player's move and fire the entire board of directors. Yahoo's board is currently the worst thing about that organization.

The CEO doesn't have the authority to fire the board.

post #6 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

Jobs did.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #7 of 82
She's cute... and worth a reported $300 million. I wonder if she's on OK Cupid. 😉

Quote:

I think it all depends on the bylaws.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #8 of 82
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

She's cute... and worth a reported $300 million. I wonder if she's on OK Cupid. 😉
I think it all depends on the bylaws.

I totally agree.  The Yahoo board should be bulldozed down and rebuilt.  Biggest bunch of monkeys next to Microsoft's.

All that being said, it's about time someone hired a hot CEO. :)

post #9 of 82

She's not only very attractive but she's also a very talented lady. If anyone can turnaround Yahoo I think she can. It's not healthy to have Google with such a dominant position in the market so I really hope she succeeds and gives Google some genuine competition for a change. I might even start using Yahoo again.

post #10 of 82
Good turnaround for yahoo
post #11 of 82
Can I google her yahoo?

LOL

She's very attractive! I wish her best of luck! Not to mention she will be dealing with the recent breach of info yahoo just experienced!
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #12 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

She's not only very attractive but she's also a very talented lady. If anyone can turnaround Yahoo I think she can. It's not healthy to have Google with such a dominant position in the market so I really hope she succeeds and gives Google some genuine competition for a change. I might even start using Yahoo again.

I agree 100%. With her experience and expertise with Google I really hope she cleans up their site so it's not just a visual mess.

post #13 of 82
Quote:

What is prejudice, stereotyping, or discriminating against women in my post. I made no comment that women (or pretty women) shouldn't/couldn't be execs of companies. I merely pointed out that I find her attractive. It's a superficial comment but nothing it about it has an air of sexism or worse, misogyny.

Just ignore him. He'll reply with 'meh', anyway. lol.gif

post #14 of 82

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS19LQ8khA5Rg9WeN1Y9K9ir4VmEDyUG4BiW3Ih3U932ylcz3dfmw

Why did non of my bosses look like this lol. It's true - things are better in California.

post #15 of 82

She's done a lot of things, but she's never been a CEO.  And only recently did she become a member of the Wal Mart board, so not much experience there either.  Time will tell.  Hope they give her at least two years.

post #16 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Time will tell.  Hope they give her at least two years.

Hope Yahoo! has two years to give her.

post #17 of 82
Will she be taking the malware there, too?
post #18 of 82

She looks very sentient.

post #19 of 82

yawwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn......

two boring companies that make me yawn except for Marissa's face!

post #20 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Will she be taking the malware there, too?

Share the evil™

post #21 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I used to use Yahoo! when it was a bunch of people who manually sorted links in a hierarchical web directory.  HTML1.0, baby.

The transitions during the "web portal" years kind of turned me off, and I haven't been back much since.  It would be great if she did something with all of it.  It is a venerable company at this point.

post #22 of 82

Whoa....what a catch for Yahoo. Guaranteed, she will either fix it or sell it. This gal knows whats she's doing.

post #23 of 82

Bigtime 100% earned.

post #24 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

i wonder if marissa's qualifications are legit or she you know, charmed her teachers in certain ways for good grades.  We know yahoo has a history for having dodgy CEO's LOL

Big time 100% earned and legit.

post #25 of 82
Quote:

I agree 100%. With her experience and expertise with Google I really hope she cleans up their site so it's not just a visual mess.

Thats her expertise, bigtime.

post #26 of 82
Quote:

Six months tops. Next!

Fixed that for you.  You're welcome.

post #27 of 82

In other news:  there's still a Yahoo!  Who knew...?

post #28 of 82
What a fabulous choice. She's incredibly talented, has created a lot of value for Google, and I am quite surprised that they let her go seemingly so easily. I think she would have made a far better CEO than Larry Page.

That said, she probably won't succeed at Yahoo. Which would be ok, because, it's common knowledge that Yahoo is unfixable. People will give her major props for trying. Without a doubt, she's going on to much bigger things in tech.

I wish her luck, because there are a lot of ego-driven jerks in the industry who'll be trying to bring her down.
post #29 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Shame on you for making a sexist comment.

You don't know what "sexism" is do you?  :-)

post #30 of 82

This is assuming the board will actually let her make decisions that run counter to Yahoo's "DNA". Or the board's job security for that matter.

There is only one and only Steve Jobs. Man, this world misses you.

Quote:

post #31 of 82
Quote:

This is assuming the board will actually let her make decisions that run counter to Yahoo's "DNA". Or the board's job security for that matter.

There is only one and only Steve Jobs. Man, this world misses you.

I hope she was hired so she can make Yahoo! great again, but you're right, too often we do see a talented exec get picked up but they can't make any headway so they leave.

post #32 of 82

If Yahoo gets lucky it will be reduced to RIM's level of predicament by next June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hope Yahoo! has two years to give her.
post #33 of 82
Quote:

... Yahoo's board is currently the worst thing about that organization.

Quote:

...  Yahoo may simply be too messed up for a quick turnaround....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

... The Yahoo board should be bulldozed down and rebuilt.  ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

In other news:  there's still a Yahoo!  Who knew...?

The real problem Yahoo has is highlighted above (the name).  

Only 2oh1 even got it right.  It's an Internet company with the unfortunate name of "Yahoo!" (with the exclamation point).  

You just can't recover from that.  It's a silly name that had some cache (due to it's very silliness), in the mid 90's but has been an albatross ever since.  No one can ever take a place called Yahoo! seriously.  Unfortunately they can't drop the name because by virtue of name recognition and branding, without the name Yahoo is nothing.  On the other hand, as long as they have that name, no one will ever take them seriously unless they morph into a breakfast cereal company or want to dress up like an old prospector for halloween.  

Before anyone mentions it ... yes, "Google" is a pretty silly name also, but they transcended their name within a few months of being on the web.  Google became a verb almost immediately and they are a far larger and more significant entity than Yahoo! and always were.  Google is also a made up word that came from nowhere.  Yahoo has a long history in the English language and *all* of the references it's riding with are quite negative and bad.  

The only meaning or synonym of Yahoo that's even remotely positive are the exclamations, but even then "yahoo" is the most boorish, crude, and redneck kind of exclamation you could possibly utter.  It's also ridiculously old-fashioned in that it's the exclamation of choice if the year was 1945 or 1950.  

yahoonoun

a rude, noisy, or violent person.redneckboorloutoafbarbarianNeanderthalbrutethug; clodroughneck.exclamationYahoo! We won! wahooyippeehoorayhurrahhallelujahbravohot dog,whoopeeyayyee-haw.

post #34 of 82
Quote:

I'd argue in most companies the board of directors is the only way to keep the CEO under control, but Yahoo is in terrible shape and their board has been behind a ton of lousy decisions ever since Jerry Yang came back. Marissa Mayer should consolidate whatever power she can and lead a rout of the BOD and install her own team of supporters. Sad to say, but Yahoo needs to run like a start-up again and their current moribund condition requires a major shock to the system.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #35 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The real problem Yahoo has is highlighted above (the name).

There's nothing wrong with the name. It has global recognition and is still a very valuable brand. The current associations with the brand could be salvaged by a smart person and perhaps Marissa Mayer is that person... but only if she can overrule the board.

And I see she's already mining her Google contacts:

Quote:

Levinsohn was named interim CEO earlier this year, in the wake of the ousting of Scott Thompson over the appearance of a fake computer science degree on his bio.

Also in question are the members of the team he has put into place at Yahoo and whether they will remain. The most prominent is Levinsohn’s recent hiring of well-regarded advertising exec Michael Barrett — who came to Yahoo from, yes, Google — to run sales.

According to sources, Mayer is already aiming to attract several former and current Googlers to Yahoo to help her turnaround the troubled Silicon Valley company.

Among the names raised is longtime former Googler Ben Ling, who worked closely with her, as well as current Google exec Henrique De Castro, who is president of global media, mobile and platforms there. De Castro has been targeted by Yahoo previously to run global sales.

Edited by SpamSandwich - 7/16/12 at 7:37pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #36 of 82
Quote:

There's nothing wrong with the name. ....

Oh.  Well as long as you say the name is alright I guess it is. :-/  

I don't know why I bothered with such a long involved argument and used references etc., when clearly I was wrong just because you said so.  

:rolleyes:

I should have expected it from someone who quotes Margaret Thatcher (one of the most vicious autocrats of the last century) in her signature. 

Edited by Gazoobee - 7/16/12 at 7:48pm
post #37 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

i wonder if marissa's qualifications are legit or she you know, charmed her teachers in certain ways for good grades.

She's a legitimate dork anyway, check out the laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=soYKFWqVVzg#t=2092s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=soYKFWqVVzg#t=2648s

The phrase 'like Elmer Fudd sitting on a juicer' comes to mind.

The thing with executives is you never hear about actual achievements, it's always 'she led the team that did...'. Hiring the right people is a skill in itself, telling people what to do can be a skill but I think the people doing the work should be given the credit for it. She may well have earned her way up the corporate ladder, but dating the CEO (http://gawker.com/152210/editorial-googles-power-couple) can help move things along. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing to promote partners as you need people you can trust but being trustworthy to the owners doesn't put someone higher than the people doing the grunt work.

Larry and Sergey made the achievement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank

Marissa certainly increased Larry's PageWank (PageRank is named after him y'see) but her own list is here:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/what-google-lost-when-marissa-mayer-left-to-run-yahoo.php

Not much in there really but then Google products aren't much either. The whole idea is that they are basic things - search results, maps, images, videos, shopping results. Take the core algorithm, get people to manage data centres, hire Marissa to pick a Serif or Sans Serif font and she's important because she made important decisions about a popular product.

I have no doubt she's a smart cookie; after all, the smartest people get everyone else to do the hard work.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/profiles/marissa-mayer-googles-chic-geek/0

"Three years ago, The New York Times reported that she asked her team to test 41 shades of blue before settling on a color."
post #38 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The only meaning or synonym of Yahoo that's even remotely positive are the exclamations, but even then "yahoo" is the most boorish, crude, and redneck kind of exclamation you could possibly utter.  It's also ridiculously old-fashioned in that it's the exclamation of choice if the year was 1945 or 1950.  

yahoonoun

a rude, noisy, or violent person.redneckboorloutoafbarbarianNeanderthalbrutethug; clodroughneck.exclamationYahoo! We won! wahooyippeehoorayhurrahhallelujahbravohot dog,whoopeeyayyee-haw.

That's a very American-centric observation.

Most Yahoo users aren't native English speakers. You completely forgot the rest of the world.

Also, Yahoo itself originally claimed that the name stood for "Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle" (the company's roots are in a web directory, the product now at dir.yahoo.com).

To most people on this planet, Yahoo is just the name of an Internet company. It doesn't mean anything else to them.

But enjoy your narrow-minded worldview. My guess is you've never traveled outside the United States, probably not even outside your state.

post #39 of 82
But when you're a dick, you're a dick.
post #40 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

“When a man uses profanity to support an argument, it indicates that either the man or the argument is weak - probably both”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSQmk6gGTcE

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ex-Google exec Marissa Mayer to take helm at Yahoo