or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ex-Google exec Marissa Mayer to take helm at Yahoo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ex-Google exec Marissa Mayer to take helm at Yahoo - Page 2

post #41 of 82
@SolipsismX:

I just wanted to thank you for your forum signature. It's probably one of five or so bboard sig blocks that has actually been useful in the past three years.
post #42 of 82

Solipsism X, I have not see the first video in years and still laugh at those  jokes. Very good reply to AppleGreen, who mind must be working in the 6th dimension, if that exists.

post #43 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

@SolipsismX:
I just wanted to thank you for your forum signature. It's probably one of five or so bboard sig blocks that has actually been useful in the past three years.

I'm glad it was useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Solipsism X, I have not see the first video in years and still laugh at those  jokes. Very good reply to AppleGreen, who mind must be working in the 6th dimension, if that exists.

The funny thing is he thinks comments like "You are nothing but a classless boor !!" somehow makes his argument better and him more classy than using the most effective language to state a point.
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/16/12 at 9:34pm

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #44 of 82
(Shhh, don't take the fun out of this site...)
post #45 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

i wonder if marissa's qualifications are legit or she you know, charmed her teachers in certain ways for good grades.  We know yahoo has a history for having dodgy CEO's LOL

Dodgy for sure; the guy leaving is taking 7.3M for his 130-day tenure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Google is also a made up word that came from nowhere.

From this comes this:
"ODDEST JOB: Usher at Roger’s Cinema, Wausau, charged with, among other things, telling people to keep their feet off the seats"

That's not OT, is it?
Edited by PhilBoogie - 7/17/12 at 7:45am
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #46 of 82
Fail or succeed she probably has a good 50 million coming her way for the effort. Not a bad gig.
post #47 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


She's a legitimate dork anyway, check out the laugh:

The dorky qualities only serve to make her hotter. I wouldn't even care about the looks there. Nerdy woman = awesome.

post #48 of 82
It must be real hard to save that company, the number of people who have tried and failed. Good luck to the new one.
post #49 of 82

The deal with big companies is that they say they want change, but they really don't want to change.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It must be real hard to save that company, the number of people who have tried and failed. Good luck to the new one.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #50 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Can I google her yahoo?

 

You mean you want to Tweet all over her Facebook?

post #51 of 82

This is a significant hiring for multiple reasons:

 

1. Mayer was sort of pushed aside, or sideways, when Larry Page took over.  This could be revenge time for her, despite her gracious parting note.  She wasted no time in leaving Google with half a day's notice.  Heck, Yahoo first contacted her merely a month ago!  That's fast closing for a CEO replacement.  She would/should have done more comprehensive due diligence on the company, but probably wanted to jump at the first opportunity to stick it to Google, IMO.

2. She is extremely media savvy, more so than 99.9% of current CEOs. Note how she beat many news outlets in announcing her appointment on Twitter.

3. Unlike Carol Bartz or Meg Whitman, she is a woman CEO with a comp sci degree.  In fact, unlike GInny Rometty (who is IBM's CEO) and Ursula Burns (Xerox's CEO), both of whom do have engineering degrees, Mayer has been actively working in product development.  Therefore, she is a woman CEO who is a product person.  This is rare in tech, unless one is a founder. Thank goodness they went after her instead of Sheryl Sandberg.

4. Yahoo hired her despite the fact that she is pregnant.  They are telling the world this does not matter. Imagine how this inspires young women who are considering engineering and comp sci in college.  Yahoo and Mayer are telling them - yes, you can have it all.  No, motherhood will not impede your career.  The impact of this cannot be underestimated.  If Yahoo is going down (no true signs of that, BTW), they should go down swinging with an engineer/computer scientist at the helm.

5. Sort of repeating point 3 - Yahoo is hiring a product person as CEO! Not a salesperson.  Not a marketing person.  Not a mere management person.  Not someone with Hollywood connections.  But someone who gets technology, and who is passionate about product development and innovation.  That too is rare in large tech companies.

 

Big, big news and significant advance for women.  (Surprisingly, no pundit saw this coming!)  In light of this, I personally do think it's a shame some of you are indulging in less than respectful remarks.  "Googling her yahoo"?  "Tweeting over her facebook"?  Seriously?

 

BTW, she was virtually the only Google executive consistently using Twitter and Google+.  Wonder if Google will push someone to fill that void, which is rather ironic (if they have to make someone using Google+ more often).
 


Edited by Harbinger - 7/17/12 at 4:42am
post #52 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

This is assuming the board will actually let her make decisions that run counter to Yahoo's "DNA". Or the board's job security for that matter.

 

There is only one and only Steve Jobs. Man, this world misses you.


Yahoo's DNA? Check out their board - http://yhoo.client.shareholder.com/directors.cfm.  How many of these directors know or care what Yahoo's DNA is?  They effectively dumped Jerry Yang!  They hired Carol Bartz and then Scott Thompson!  What Yahoo DNA do they personify? 

 

Based on recent events, the only consistent phenotypes of Yahoo's DNA are (i) CEO change every 3-24 months; (ii) survival and in fact profitability despite the turmoil. 


Edited by Harbinger - 7/17/12 at 4:44am
post #53 of 82

An additional report with background also includes the news that she and her husband are expecting a child in October. The Yahoo board had no concerns over her pregnancy being a distraction. (?!)

 

http://postcards.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/16/mayer-yahoo-ceo-pregnant/

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #54 of 82

Wasn't Marissa Mayer screwing the founder of google back in the day?

post #55 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

She's a legitimate dork anyway, check out the laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=soYKFWqVVzg#t=2092s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=soYKFWqVVzg#t=2648s
The phrase 'like Elmer Fudd sitting on a juicer' comes to mind.
The thing with executives is you never hear about actual achievements, it's always 'she led the team that did...'. Hiring the right people is a skill in itself, telling people what to do can be a skill but I think the people doing the work should be given the credit for it. She may well have earned her way up the corporate ladder, but dating the CEO (http://gawker.com/152210/editorial-googles-power-couple) can help move things along. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing to promote partners as you need people you can trust but being trustworthy to the owners doesn't put someone higher than the people doing the grunt work.
Larry and Sergey made the achievement:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank
Marissa certainly increased Larry's PageWank (PageRank is named after him y'see) but her own list is here:
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/what-google-lost-when-marissa-mayer-left-to-run-yahoo.php
Not much in there really but then Google products aren't much either. The whole idea is that they are basic things - search results, maps, images, videos, shopping results. Take the core algorithm, get people to manage data centres, hire Marissa to pick a Serif or Sans Serif font and she's important because she made important decisions about a popular product.
I have no doubt she's a smart cookie; after all, the smartest people get everyone else to do the hard work.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/profiles/marissa-mayer-googles-chic-geek/0
"Three years ago, The New York Times reported that she asked her team to test 41 shades of blue before settling on a color."



oh ignore this post... shes married...

say it isn't so... oh well, she left because things with the CEO are getting serious or not.
anyways, the photo on the cover of the US magazine, makes her a geek, more than the pub photo of her in the red dress.
my guess is that she has become HOT, and wants to move on to new challenges (social, and job wise)

though the hint that marrissa's name and things about her being censored on google is funny...
post #56 of 82
So a Google 'rising star' with no relevant leadership experience is suppose to right the Yahoo ship? So what kind of initiative can we expect from the 'rising star' - perhaps Google Buzz, Google Wave, or a dozen other product flops? With Google's immense success in it's core search business, they can afford to float a plethora of products in hopes that one will stick but not so for Yahoo.
post #57 of 82

She wanted one of those limited edition "I was the CEO of Yahoo! and all I got was this lousy golden parachute" collectors pieces.

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

Reply

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

Reply
post #58 of 82

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 1/21/13 at 2:52pm
post #59 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngexec View Post

Wasn't Marissa Mayer screwing the founder of google back in the day?

I don't know. Do you have some video proof? So what if she was.

@ AppleGreen : No that counts as a sexist comment by youngexec.
post #60 of 82

Hmmm, I wonder if Marissa Meyer will be to Yahoo! as Stephen Elop is to Nokia. That is, once she is on board will Yahoo! and Google begin working together?

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Reply

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Reply
post #61 of 82

Her success at Google would have been nowhere as successful if she weighed 100 pounds more and if she wasn't so pretty.

Look, she may be very smart, but I saw this and I said ................  :)

 

http://gawker.com/152210/editorial-googles-power-couple?tag=valleywagtechtop

post #62 of 82

Her move is like quitting an assistant manager's position at Macy's to be a manager at Walmart.

 

Yeah she might be in charge now, but I wouldn't brag about it.

post #63 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post


I thought it was common knowledge by now that Google is a play on googol. The fact that they named their HQ googleplex, after googolplex is a dead giveaway, if there was any doubt before


Common knowledge that it's a play on googol? Not quite. The founders spelled googol wrong and came up with Google.

post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Her move is like quitting an assistant manager's position at Macy's to be a manager at Walmart.

 

Yeah she might be in charge now, but I wouldn't brag about it.


That's just wrong.

post #65 of 82

The punch clock, I-will-milk-it-for-all-its-worth-or-until-the-ship-sinks"" DNA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


Yahoo's DNA? Check out their board - http://yhoo.client.shareholder.com/directors.cfm.  How many of these directors know or care what Yahoo's DNA is?  They effectively dumped Jerry Yang!  They hired Carol Bartz and then Scott Thompson!  What Yahoo DNA do they personify? 

 

Based on recent events, the only consistent phenotypes of Yahoo's DNA are (i) CEO change every 3-24 months; (ii) survival and in fact profitability despite the turmoil. 

Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #66 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

AppleGreen....What's your problem?  If anything SolipsismX's comment was overtly non-sexist.  Don't be such a$$ hole.  Marissa's obviously good looking.  There's nothing wrong with pointing it out.  

Since it appears you insist on having something to bitch about, I'll give you a sexist comment:

 

As compared to most women she's good looking, but for an engineer, she's smoking hot. 

 

AppleGreen would rather look at this?

 

steve_ballmer.jpg

 

Mayer and Larry Page used to "date". She was apparently marginalized at Google. It would be interesting to see if she turns Yahoo into a Google revenge project.

 

http://gawker.com/152210/editorial-googles-power-couple


Edited by SpamSandwich - 7/17/12 at 4:18pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #67 of 82
Good bl**dy luck. I hear she's already bought her personal lifejacket.
post #68 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

 

AppleGreen would rather look at this?

 

 

Where do you guys even find this stuff? The obsession with Ballmer is just really creepy.

post #69 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What a fabulous choice. She's incredibly talented, has created a lot of value for Google, and I am quite surprised that they let her go seemingly so easily. I think she would have made a far better CEO than Larry Page.
That said, she probably won't succeed at Yahoo. Which would be ok, because, it's common knowledge that Yahoo is unfixable. People will give her major props for trying. Without a doubt, she's going on to much bigger things in tech.
I wish her luck, because there are a lot of ego-driven jerks in the industry who'll be trying to bring her down.

 

You should read up about her, she will be hardly missed at Google.  Anyone with an engineering background will suck at turning around a company.(E.g. Co-founder Yang)  The business sentiment about her is negative.  You don't hire someone with zero executive experience to turn around a company. 

post #70 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

That's a very American-centric observation.

Most Yahoo users aren't native English speakers. You completely forgot the rest of the world.

Also, Yahoo itself originally claimed that the name stood for "Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle" (the company's roots are in a web directory, the product now at dir.yahoo.com).

To most people on this planet, Yahoo is just the name of an Internet company. It doesn't mean anything else to them.

But enjoy your narrow-minded worldview. My guess is you've never traveled outside the United States, probably not even outside your state.

I would argue about the name Yahoo, but I'm too busy digging these pretty stones out of the mud! You make yourself sound like some kind of intelligent horse.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #71 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post



"Three years ago, The New York Times reported that she asked her team to test 41 shades of blue before settling on a color."

I BELIEVE that a certain Steve tested quite a few shades of beige before settling on the color for a certain Apple model, you surely don't need me to remind you which one ;)

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

You should read up about her, she will be hardly missed at Google.  Anyone with an engineering background will suck at turning around a company.(E.g. Co-founder Yang)  The business sentiment about her is negative.  You don't hire someone with zero executive experience to turn around a company. 

Why are you bringing reason and sense into this thread. We should simply continue to comment on her looks and whether we'd "hit it". /s
post #73 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by printcosmo44 View Post

Well lets see what she will do for yahoo !!

Why bother, I ask. Can they close Yahoo and give all the employees three year's severance pay. I think that would be a better move overall.
post #74 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Why bother, I ask. Can they close Yahoo and give all the employees three year's severance pay. I think that would be a better move overall.

Before you go making absolute claims about a company's future you might to consider Michael Dell's comments about Jobs returning to Apple.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Before you go making absolute claims about a company's future you might to consider Michael Dell's comments about Jobs returning to Apple.

Well is there a Steve Jobs returning to Yahoo? I don't think it's Marissa, somehow.
post #76 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Well is there a Steve Jobs returning to Yahoo? I don't think it's Marissa, somehow.

In 1997 no one would knew what Steve Jobs would have accomplished with Apple by his death in late 2011 so your argument doesn't hold water.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #77 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Oh.  Well as long as you say the name is alright I guess it is. :-/

There is such a thing as over thinking it.

People said the same kinds of things about the Wii's name. It was hardly the failure that your argument about a ridiculously inappropriate name choice would have predicted.

I don't recall anyone making any kind of negative remark about the name of the company until yours. I don't believe the naming was a problem at all, but rather gross mismanagement, among other problems.
Edited by JeffDM - 7/19/12 at 9:23pm
post #78 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In 1997 no one would knew what Steve Jobs would have accomplished with Apple by his death in late 2011 so your argument doesn't hold water.

Incorrect. Steve Jobs was highly accomplished by 1997. He started a company in a garage. He made the Apple I and Apple II. They then made the Mac, and revolutionised entire aspects of humanity. Apple was known for earth-shattering marketing campaigns and a litany of innovative ideas. Pixar and NEXT were perhaps not recognised as much back then but if you look at the interviews something was ticking in Steve's mind. Apple bought NEXT, leading to Steve Jobs' return.

I do not see any evidence that Marissa, however accomplished she is, is anywhere at the level of Steve Jobs when he returned to Apple.

Therefore, given the state of Yahoo, at this point in time there is no reason to believe Marissa can turn around the company to any worthwhile position even in 10 years.
post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Incorrect. Steve Jobs was highly accomplished by 1997. He started a company in a garage. He made the Apple I and Apple II. They then made the Mac, and revolutionised entire aspects of humanity. Apple was known for earth-shattering marketing campaigns and a litany of innovative ideas. Pixar and NEXT were perhaps not recognised as much back then but if you look at the interviews something was ticking in Steve's mind. Apple bought NEXT, leading to Steve Jobs' return.
I do not see any evidence that Marissa, however accomplished she is, is anywhere at the level of Steve Jobs when he returned to Apple.
Therefore, given the state of Yahoo, at this point in time there is no reason to believe Marissa can turn around the company to any worthwhile position even in 10 years.


1) Examine what you've stated. You're certain she can't do anything positive for Yahoo! because she's not Steve Jobs. Well that true of everybody and it's shortsighted to suggest that not being Steve Jobs means that she or anyone else has no chance of succeeding. Also note she isn't going against Steve Jobs, or Apple for that matter.

2) You're creating your own strawmen by implying that starting a company in a garage means future success whilst not starting on in a garage means future failure. Let's remember that most companies start small. A comparatively few a made from successful companies and their execs.

3) Let's remember what Dell, Gates, et al. said about Jobs return to Apple was a bad move. These people were well aware of his start. They were also well aware of Jobs in ways that you and I will never know and yet they disagreed with you say in 2012 as something you imply you stated or would have stated in 1997. If I were you I'd question myself when making this canonized statements

4) I don't know if Mayer will turn Yahoo! around. I don't know if Jobs or anyone else could either. To quote Kaylee from Firefly (for digitalclips and TallestSkil), "Sometimes a thing gets broke can't be fixed." I do believe that Mayer's past efforts at Google are great for what I think Yahoo! needs to fix.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #80 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Examine what you've stated. You're certain she can't do anything positive for Yahoo! because she's not Steve Jobs. Well that true of everybody and it's shortsighted to suggest that not being Steve Jobs means that she or anyone else has no chance of succeeding. Also note she isn't going against Steve Jobs, or Apple for that matter.
2) You're creating your own strawmen by implying that starting a company in a garage means future success whilst not starting on in a garage means future failure. Let's remember that most companies start small. A comparatively few a made from successful companies and their execs.
3) Let's remember what Dell, Gates, et al. said about Jobs return to Apple was a bad move. These people were well aware of his start. They were also well aware of Jobs in ways that you and I will never know and yet they disagreed with you say in 2012 as something you imply you stated or would have stated in 1997. If I were you I'd question myself when making this canonized statements
4) I don't know if Mayer will turn Yahoo! around. I don't know if Jobs or anyone else could either. To quote Kaylee from Firefly (for digitalclips and TallestSkil), "Sometimes a thing gets broke can't be fixed." I do believe that Mayer's past efforts at Google are great for what I think Yahoo! needs to fix.

1. I did not say she can't do anything positive for Yahoo. I simply think she has a lower chance than when Steve Jobs came back to Apple.

2. A garage has nothing to do with this, I'm saying that is one of the things that stood Steve Jobs in good stead when returning to Apple.

3. Dell and Gates said this stuff despite Steve's massive list of achievements before just returning to Apple. Apple was in deep, deep trouble then. So on one hand, they underestimated Steve, but Apple was in a worse position than Yahoo is now, I suspect. Overall, sure, I could be wrong, but I stand by my statement. Yahoo has nothing further to contribute to tech, let alone the world, and should shut up shop and quit while they are relatively ahead, regardless of Marissa's capabilities.

4. I also don't know if Jobs can turn Yahoo around. He would have a higher chance than Marissa, for sure, but hence my statement, it is pointless saving Yahoo now. How long has Yahoo been in the search game? And still their results are the crappiest out there. Nobody even knows what it is they do. Let's face it, it's a sh*t has-been company with a sh*t has-been brand. If Marissa can do to Yahoo what Steve did with Apple, it will be the greatest turnaround in recent history. Like I said, it seems quite unlikely though.
Edited by sr2012 - 7/23/12 at 12:33am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ex-Google exec Marissa Mayer to take helm at Yahoo