or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 3GS gains Shared Photo Streams, VIP Mail in iOS 6 Beta 3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 3GS gains Shared Photo Streams, VIP Mail in iOS 6 Beta 3

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Users of the iPhone 3GS, a handset first released by Apple in 2009, may have access to the new Shared Photo Streams and VIP Mail features after all, as support has been added in the third beta release of iOS 6.

Previously, Apple's website indicated that the iPhone 3GS would not have access to Shared Photo Streams or VIP Mail when iOS 6 is released to the public later this year. But with Monday's release of iOS 6 Beta 3 to developers, Apple has since modified its iOS 6 preview page and removed footnotes that said the features would not be available on the iPhone 3GS.

Accordingly, iPhone 3GS users who are testing iOS 6 Beta 3 found that the features were in fact added to the latest pre-release build of the operating system update, as noted by MacRumors on Tuesday.

But the iPhone 3GS still does not have access to the Offline Reading List. In addition, the new Flyover feature in Apple's revamped Maps application, along with turn-by-turn navigation, will only be available on the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later.

The iPad 2, along with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, also won't have access to Siri voice control, though that functionality is coming to the third-generation iPad. And FaceTime calls over a cellular data network will require the iPhone 4S or third-generation iPad.

Finally, new "Made for iPhone" branded hearing aids, expected to hit the market later this year, will require that users own an iPhone 4S.

Compatible


Though it was first released in 2009, Apple continues to sell the iPhone 3GS alongside the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4. The iPhone 3GS is available for free with a new two-year service contract with some carriers.

While Apple added a handful of features to the iPhone 3GS with the latest beta of iOS 6, the new operating system update still isn't compatible with the first-generation iPad. Apple's first iPad was released in 2010, more than 9 months after the iPhone 3GS became available.

In addition, only owners of the fourth-generation iPod touch will be able to install iOS 6. The portable media player has not seen a significant update since September of 2010.
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The portable media player has not seen a significant update since September of 2010.

And I have no idea why...

 

But, is this on iPod touch, too? (the VIP mail and Shared Photo Streams)

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #3 of 19

Shame iPad 1 misses out. From the reviews on the app store, it seems to have a lot of crashing issues due to lack of memory. Anecdotally it suffers more from lack of RAM than the 3GS. I sold my iPad 1 when the new iPad came out, and performance wise it's night and day.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

And I have no idea why...
Hope it gets a major update this year
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Shame iPad 1 misses out. From the reviews on the app store, it seems to have a lot of crashing issues due to lack of memory. Anecdotally it suffers more from lack of RAM than the 3GS. I sold my iPad 1 when the new iPad came out, and performance wise it's night and day.

Depends what you use it for, obviously. I bought the 3rd Gen because I'm into photography and wanted to see my photo's an that new screen. But the whole thing doesn't actually add much, for me, over the 1st Gen, which is still a great device. People who play games and such will disagree, and rightfully so. But to say, in general, that the difference between a 2010 and a 2012 iPad is N&D difference is, well, off.
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
Reply
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
Reply
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Depends what you use it for, obviously. I bought the 3rd Gen because I'm into photography and wanted to see my photo's an that new screen. But the whole thing doesn't actually add much, for me, over the 1st Gen, which is still a great device. People who play games and such will disagree, and rightfully so. But to say, in general, that the difference between a 2010 and a 2012 iPad is N&D difference is, well, off.

 

I'm not sure I agree about iPad 1.0 as it's seriously memory challenged and noticeably slower than the later two versions.  

 

IMO the big "dirty secret" that everyone knows but doesn't talk about much is that the iPad 3.0 is almost no different from the iPad 2.0.  Yes it has the "retina" screen, but it's not a big difference when you see them side by side "in the flesh" and the main noticeable difference in the hand is only negative.  The iPad 3.0 is noticeably heavier than the iPad 2.0.  

post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I'm not sure I agree about iPad 1.0 as it's seriously memory challenged and noticeably slower than the later two versions.  

 

IMO the big "dirty secret" that everyone knows but doesn't talk about much is that the iPad 3.0 is almost no different from the iPad 2.0.  Yes it has the "retina" screen, but it's not a big difference when you see them side by side "in the flesh" and the main noticeable difference in the hand is only negative.  The iPad 3.0 is noticeably heavier than the iPad 2.0.  

 

thats because no one cares. Its heavier due to the battery due to the graphics having to push 4x more pixels.  Ipad 3 is marginally slower than ipad 2 but most wont notice the difference. Only on benchmarks you will see that but who runs benchmarks.  The screen is nice and to some makes a big difference. Apple did make ipad 2 cheaper if ipad 3 doesnt float your boat

post #8 of 19
I know what the benchmarks say but I put my new iPad next a 2 last week and we ran a few a few apps and the new iPad just beat the 2 every time.

There wasn't much difference but enough to notice, they are both 32 Gb.

The weight is noticeable when weighing one in each hand but not a problem in day to day use.
post #9 of 19
What is good to see is Apple trying to get some of the IOS 6 features on older machines, I assume they are are being discerning to ensure that user experience is not downgraded to much. (although I expect there will be at least a few posts saying that Applebis holding back features just to encourage sales of new product!)
post #10 of 19

My 3GS may be able to upgrade to iOS 6 but do I want to?  It already crawls with iOS 5...this is the year to upgrade anyway for me.  My last phone I had for 3 years and I have done fine with this one.
 

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

My 3GS may be able to upgrade to iOS 6 but do I want to?  It already crawls with iOS 5...this is the year to upgrade anyway for me.  My last phone I had for 3 years and I have done fine with this one.
 

You should upgrade every 2 years. The phone is the cheapest part of using the smartphone when on contract.

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

You should upgrade every 2 years. The phone is the cheapest part of using the smartphone when on contract.

 

And I ask, why should I??  Besides, if I had the spare cash I would "like" to but it is not needed.  If what we have works there is no need to upgrade every time a new model of something comes out.  Even this upgrade will be more of a want than a need.

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

 

And I ask, why should I??  Besides, if I had the spare cash I would "like" to but it is not needed.  If what we have works there is no need to upgrade every time a new model of something comes out.  Even this upgrade will be more of a want than a need.

Then you should stick to the OS you purchased the phone with and not upgrade to the latest OS.  Apple did the same to the 3G and now 3GS.  Along the line they will break 4 and 4s, but he majority will be on the 5 or 5s or 6

post #14 of 19

Its great to know that the 3GS will still get the updates! I was afraid that it will no longer be compatible with the new OS just like how the 2nd gen was no longer able to access 5.x

post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Then you should stick to the OS you purchased the phone with and not upgrade to the latest OS.  Apple did the same to the 3G and now 3GS.  Along the line they will break 4 and 4s, but he majority will be on the 5 or 5s or 6

 

Agreed...that is why I am not going to upgrade my OS and just get a new phone.  Changes facilitate the move at some point and we move forward and this is the way it should be.  My opinion is that iOS 5 was the last usable, it but barely, OS upgrade.  Amazing iOS 6 is going to work.  It may work, but will it be advisable to do so...possibly, not.

post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbrucewayne View Post

Its great to know that the 3GS will still get the updates! I was afraid that it will no longer be compatible with the new OS just like how the 2nd gen was no longer able to access 5.x

These were some 'no brainer' (ie: just software... not computationally or requiring any electronics to make work) that stumped a few of us during WWDC.

 

However, I wouldn't hold my breath that 3GS will support anything new in 6.x (the version that is released for the new iPhone this fall).

I'll be pushing my son to get off the 3GS and to a 4, just for Facetime capabilities, if all it costs me is 0.99.

 

In general... I would say, a $99 iPhone4s is a GREAT upgrade from an 3GS.   However, it will be interesting what HW changes are made in the new iPhone to support Passbook,Maps,Siri ,etc (NFC), as well as other things (battery?  screen?)  that may make it a compelling $199/$299 decision.

post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

My 3GS may be able to upgrade to iOS 6 but do I want to?  It already crawls with iOS 5...this is the year to upgrade anyway for me.  My last phone I had for 3 years and I have done fine with this one.

 

If you switch off (deselect all you can afford to) the Spotlight search in general settings it helps a lot with a 3GS running the latest iOS.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

You should upgrade every 2 years. The phone is the cheapest part of using the smartphone when on contract.


Just if you only have a choice of carriers that insist on bundling the data plans with a new subsidised handset. When carriers unbundle the subsidy from the data plan, ie, allowing you to only pay for the data plan not for the data plan plus repayment of the subsidy, does it make sense to get new handsets every two years because you otherwise would be paying for the subsidy without profiting from it.

post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post


Just if you only have a choice of carriers that insist on bundling the data plans with a new subsidised handset. When carriers unbundle the subsidy from the data plan, ie, allowing you to only pay for the data plan not for the data plan plus repayment of the subsidy, does it make sense to get new handsets every two years because you otherwise would be paying for the subsidy without profiting from it.

Yeah tmobile does that but they dont offer the iphone yet

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 3GS gains Shared Photo Streams, VIP Mail in iOS 6 Beta 3