or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wins portable device UI 'scroll bar' patent
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple wins portable device UI 'scroll bar' patent - Page 2

post #41 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

You're obviously an Android troll. There's so many ways to have scroll bars on a window (go look at your favorite desktop OS) and none of these are patented or the patents have long expired. When Apple unveiled their phone in 2007, it had a unique way to display them and Google copied that particular, Apple created, way. Had they spent the time & energy on INVENTING NEW STUFF instead of RIPPING OTHERS OFF, they wouldn't be in such sad shape today.

 

You can cry all you want about patents but RIPPING OFF innovative companies SHOULD have a price. Google and Samsung don't invent much and just blatantly copy Apple and save money on R&D and design. It's time they paid the price.

 

Cheaters are always caught. Stealing NEVER pays off.

 

You mean like the notification center in iOS?

post #42 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

You're obviously an Android troll. There's so many ways to have scroll bars on a window (go look at your favorite desktop OS) and none of these are patented or the patents have long expired. When Apple unveiled their phone in 2007, it had a unique way to display them and Google copied that particular, Apple created, way. Had they spent the time & energy on INVENTING NEW STUFF instead of RIPPING OTHERS OFF, they wouldn't be in such sad shape today.

 

You can cry all you want about patents but RIPPING OFF innovative companies SHOULD have a price. Google and Samsung don't invent much and just blatantly copy Apple and save money on R&D and design. It's time they paid the price.

 

Cheaters are always caught. Stealing NEVER pays off.

Lol? Your pavlovian drivel is so funny. Nearly every software so-called patent are ridiculed over the whole world, have you not noticed? Idiotic and ubiquitous UI elements like scroll bars are not patentable according to everybody excepting for the failed US patent office which grants anything while taking its cut, just to have the so-called patents invalidated later in courts.

post #43 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

I just patented breathing. Hold it.

 

Patented already; code= Gen2:7

post #44 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Strange there are so many anti-Apple trolls on a site called "AppleInsider". Guess the Android users are feeling heat.

You said it. I doubt too many Apple enthusiasts feel the need to reciprocate on their web sites (I assume they have some, I wouldn't''t know to be honest) , we are too busy using our Apple gear. Web traffic data seems to indicate Android users use those devices as door stops..
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #45 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I don't think you understand the patent system.  You don't get a patent unless it's a unique and/or new implementation or process.  The patent office doesn't just hand them out to anyone who applies.  

 

the USA patent office does not appear to require the same level of novelty as other world patent offices.  Especially through some patent offices, which is why tech patents are oftne funnelled through certain offices.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #46 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

. Google and Samsung don't invent much and just blatantly copy Apple and save money on R&D and design. It's time they paid the price.

 

Cheaters are always caught. Stealing NEVER pays off.

 
Samsung has large volumes of patents, more than apple iirc.  Just Apples are fairy targeted.

 

Apple has not been excessively successful showing "blatant copying" with Samsung yet, and has not really taken the fight to google. 

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #47 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe1k View Post

These were my thoughts initially. But then I remembered that it really doesn't matter if they hold the patent, it's if they go after anyone over it. And if Apple didn't get invent it, someone else would have.

I guess we just have to wait and see what they do with it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

And THAT is what's wrong with the current patent system.

 

I was able to fix your statement, gabe1k, but tylersdad's brain fart was too outrageous to fix.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #48 of 73
Is this rubber-banding? Edit: OK just the disappearing scroll bars and dynamically-sized scroll bars. A worthy invention in my mind. Fixed scroll bars have been around for... oh, decades? Good on ya Apple (and whoever else Apple is supposed to have copied or what not).
Edited by sr2012 - 7/17/12 at 9:35pm
post #49 of 73

You're just wrong.

 

"But the reason patents are especially bad for software is that software isn’t some single invention where you can point to a single new idea. Not at all. All relevant software is a hugely complex set of very detailed rules, and there are millions of small and mostly trivial ideas rather than some single clever idea that can be patented. The worth of the software is not in any of those single small decisions, but in the whole.  It’s also distressing to see that people patent ‘ideas’. It’s not even a working “thing”; it’s just a small way of doing things that you try to patent, just to have a weapon in an economic fight. Sad. Patents have lost all redeeming value, if they ever had any. ‘" - Linus Torvalds src http://techledger.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/linus-torvalds-on-patents/

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

 

The whole point of patents is to grant a monopoly. I agree that this patent is ridiculous, but I don't agree that software patents should never enjoy patent protection. Similar to if you develop a new type of pump that is 20% more efficient at pumping water (which is patentable), if you develop a clever new technique for video compression that is 20% more efficient, I think that should be equally patentable.

post #50 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Lol? Your pavlovian drivel is so funny. Nearly every software so-called patent are ridiculed over the whole world, have you not noticed? Idiotic and ubiquitous UI elements like scroll bars are not patentable according to everybody excepting for the failed US patent office which grants anything while taking its cut, just to have the so-called patents invalidated later in courts.

 

They're "ridiculed over the whole world" by freetards and commies who think that nothing should be patentable. If some company spends few years and billions of R&D, they should be rewarded for it. All these thieves shouldn't be able to just come along, copy everything and undercut the company that spent years and billions on development. 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

 

You mean like the notification center in iOS?

 

 

Have you seen Newton's notification center? Go take a look. I'll wait.

 

Also, show me Google's notification center patent.

 

And it's so funny how far you're reaching when Android is nothing more than a bad ripoff of iOS. Have you seen Android before iPhone? It was a BlackBerry OS ripoff. But after iPhone unveil, it was transformed into an iPhone ripoff.

post #51 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Patented already; code= Gen2:7

Invented, yes. Patented, no! There was no patent office back in the days 1wink.gif
post #52 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You said it. I doubt too many Apple enthusiasts feel the need to reciprocate on their web sites (I assume they have some, I wouldn't''t know to be honest) , we are too busy using our Apple gear. Web traffic data seems to indicate Android users use those devices as door stops..

Oh, they do - trust me. Having general interest in technology, I am orbiting MS, Apple and Goggle-centric sites. Each of them has resident "behind-enemy-lines" commando forces. Just the nature of the things. A lot of people "feel" they need to defend their brand and their choices beyond any reason.
post #53 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

They're "ridiculed over the whole world" by freetards and commies who think that nothing should be patentable. If some company spends few years and billions of R&D, they should be rewarded for it. All these thieves shouldn't be able to just come along, copy everything and undercut the company that spent years and billions on development. 



Have you seen Newton's notification center? Go take a look. I'll wait.

Also, show me Google's notification center patent.

And it's so funny how far you're reaching when Android is nothing more than a bad ripoff of iOS. Have you seen Android before iPhone? It was a BlackBerry OS ripoff. But after iPhone unveil, it was transformed into an iPhone ripoff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Oh, they do - trust me. Having general interest in technology, I am orbiting MS, Apple and Goggle-centric sites. Each of them has resident "behind-enemy-lines" commando forces. Just the nature of the things. A lot of people "feel" they need to defend their brand and their choices beyond any reason.

Check out iBooks for Newton. Old skool, man. But very interesting.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/0307735ANPMOSUG.pdf

BTW OMG! Newton copied Android!

368
post #54 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Invented, yes. Patented, no! There was no patent office back in the days 1wink.gif

Yeah, God called. He patented everything. You'll be hearing from His laywers.
post #55 of 73
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes

288


----

I like the Word Suggestions (622) in that IM (602) app! Do wish they would move the Send button (614) to the top right in the SMS app; too easily hit by accident. And no reason to have the edit button in view while typing.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #56 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

 

No offense...

I deleted the rest where you found 6 different ways to say you did not read the patent.

post #57 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Scroll Bar Size

It's just me or this is the same interface used in Android for messages?
I mean the word suggested just below the input area..
post #58 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain Kennedy View Post

Umm I'm an Apple fan and all but really???

You mean there's absolutely no prior art to this?  I had J2ME apps that I built that did this.

You built a J2ME app for a multi-touch mobile device that had an on-screen bar, which was not a scroll-bar that could be interacted with and moved in the opposite direction of your gesture, was translucent and appeared/disappeared based on screen contact before 2007? M'okay.

Even if there's prior art before the filing, Apple has prior art all the way back to the first multi-touch device with this kind of scrolling technique. If they enforce this, Android and Windows Phone 7 are screwed and rightly so.

Apple doesn't want a repeat of this event:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/03/06/apple_thanks_microsoft_for_inventing/

These things seem basic and obvious once you see them and use them but the day before you saw them, they weren't and that's the whole point.

You could question why patents are allowed on core features but those are the most important features as they are used all the time.

Galaxy S3 injunction incoming, get them patches ready Google.
post #59 of 73
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #60 of 73

Does anybody know when this feature has been introduced in iOS? Just watched a vide of the iPhone introduction and didn't see those scroll bars.

post #61 of 73
post #62 of 73

The patent system is a mess but it is the system that is in place to protect people/companies that innovate. Unfortunately, it also protects some who really haven't and needs upgrading to cover things that take place in the modern economy.

 

That being said, if Apple has truly innovated and others have copied, Apple deserves to be able to call them on it. If you are really being honest and not being beholden to a platform, you would have to admit that Apple with its iOS really came out with a lot of innovations and that is what has been patented in many cases. If others unfairly copy Apple, Apple deserves some sort of remedy.

 

On the other side, if Apple has copied others that have patented things, then they need to pay as well. If Apple has truly copied something patented in notifications from Android, I would expect the lawsuits to follow.

 

But it is disingenuous to denigrate the things that Apple has done in the mobile world because it is not your platform of choice or you just don't like Apple.

post #63 of 73

removed duplicate

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #64 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post


it is true!, you are working at Google!...

Not hardly. . .

 

Nor working for Google.

Nor owning Google stock.

Nor deriving any income from Google directly or indirectly.

Nor having any Google contacts.

Nor having any source of "inside" information about Google.

 

If there's anything I missed just ask.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #65 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

 

Hiding a GUI element to free up screen real estate isn't some new invention.

 

And yet nobody has ever done it with the scrollbar until Apple came along with the iPhone.

post #66 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

 

Hiding a GUI element to free up screen real estate isn't some new invention.

 

And yet nobody has ever done it with the scrollbar until Apple came along with the iPhone.

post #67 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by el3ktro View Post

Does anybody know when this feature has been introduced in iOS? Just watched a vide of the iPhone introduction and didn't see those scroll bars.

The earliest version where I've seen it is iOS 2.0, introduced mid 2008.

post #68 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


A lot of people "feel" they need to defend their brand and their choices beyond any reason.

 

 

yes.  you've pretty much encapsulated what some people do; this includes enthusiasts from a variety of groups including Apple fans.

 

in regard to the patent, i agree it's silly but it's been granted (for good or bad).  if the situation ever arises, the onus is on Apple to prove a given implementation, at the software level, is a copy in the event of alleged patent infringement.

post #69 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatous View Post

You're just wrong.

 

"But the reason patents are especially bad for software is that software isn’t some single invention where you can point to a single new idea. Not at all. All relevant software is a hugely complex set of very detailed rules, and there are millions of small and mostly trivial ideas rather than some single clever idea that can be patented. The worth of the software is not in any of those single small decisions, but in the whole.  It’s also distressing to see that people patent ‘ideas’. It’s not even a working “thing”; it’s just a small way of doing things that you try to patent, just to have a weapon in an economic fight. Sad. Patents have lost all redeeming value, if they ever had any. ‘" - Linus Torvalds src http://techledger.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/linus-torvalds-on-patents/

 

 

 

You are quite the critical thinker. Posting other people's words because you have no capacity to develop your own earns you an A+ on the Internet.

 

Or maybe you wish to imply that because Linus Torvalds is a person of importance in the tech industry that I should just bow to his viewpoint without having one of my own?

post #70 of 73

But on Android phones, I've seen that you can actually drag the scrollbars before they disappear.  This makes it easier to scroll through long pages without endlessly flicking around.  Why hasn't Apple made it easier to scroll through long pages on iOS devices?

post #71 of 73

But on Android phones, I've seen that you can actually drag the scrollbars before they disappear.  This makes it easier to scroll through long pages without endlessly flicking around.  Why hasn't Apple made it easier to scroll through long pages on iOS devices?

post #72 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

288
 

 

Bill Gates was a much larger human in the old days. No one can escape the effects of 'shrinkage' due to aging.


Edited by SpamSandwich - 7/18/12 at 1:01pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #73 of 73

Now someone just needs to patent the idea of using a round or square (or rounded square) button to turn on a computer or handheld device.

 

Or the use of a round hole in the side of a telephone to insert a headphone cable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wins portable device UI 'scroll bar' patent