or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Chrome iOS app captures 1.4% of browser market
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google's Chrome iOS app captures 1.4% of browser market

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
Fresh data released on Tuesday shows Google's recently-released iOS version of its Chrome web browser has been adopted by some 1.4 percent of iDevice users following its launch in late June.

Despite only being on the market for less than a month, Chrome has garnered 1.4 percent of the iOS mobile browser market though the metric pales in comparison to the 13 percent share of iDevice owners using other third party apps, notes TechCrunch. Leading the pack is Apple's built-in Safari which holds a dominating 85.7 percent marketshare.

Tuesday's usage data comes from the new Chrome iOS Adoption Tracker, a constantly-updated near real time tool created by the analytics arm of mobile advertising firm Chitika.

The highly-anticipated Chrome for iOS debuted to much fanfare as the speed and device integration enjoyed by desktop and Android users was expected to be ported for Apple's iDevices. It was announced during Google I/O in June that the browser is now the most popular in the world and boasted 310 million active users prior to launching on iOS.

Chrome iOS Adoption
Source: Chitika Labs


Chrome is seen as the first legitimate contender to Apple's Safari, the default software that comes with iOS and the browser apps throw to to when clicking on a link. While users can surf the web through other dedicated internet apps or through integrated browsers like 1Password's bare-bones offering, most users tend to gravitate toward Apple's non-deletable Safari.

Although Google's attempt saw success when it was first released iOS App Store download numbers have declined to what Chitika calls "moderate levels of growth."

Some pundits note that Chrome for iOS is not a true representation of the browser, even for a mobile version, as Apple's sandboxing rules don't allow the use of Google's speedy JavaScript rendering engine meaning that the app is not as fast as its Android counterpart. What is somewhat retained from other versions are features like multi-device syncing, unlimited tabs with unique tab switching capabilities and a revamped on-screen keyboard though everything must run within Apple's third-party app guidelines.
post #2 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Fresh data released on Tuesday shows Google's recently-released iOS version of its Chrome web browser has been adopted by some 1.4 percent of iDevice users following its launch in late June.  

 

What's that? like a thousand people on the whole planet?  Wow.  

post #3 of 32

Chrome: There's no other way to get Larry Page's fingerprints all over your personal info.

 

Remember; with Google, you are not the customer, you are the product.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfcurtin View Post

really cause safari sucks in any version

You obviously have never used Safari. I'm even using Safari when in my Windows environment now because it works so well.

post #5 of 32

Chrome on iOS isn''t really Chrome anyway as it has to use the rendering engine, so unless you're looking for the sync features, not really all that worth it.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

You obviously have never used Safari. I'm even using Safari when in my Windows environment now because it works so well.

 

Don't bother.  He's just a troll.  

 

He's probably not aware that Chrome on iOS *is* Safari for all intents and purposes with the exception of the UI.  He's also probably not aware that Chrome uses webkit and therefore benefits from Safari and perhaps wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Safari.  

post #7 of 32

hopefully, it does not crash all the time like the computer's version

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
post #8 of 32

Why would anyone use Chrome for ios? It's just ios webview with a different name. 

post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Chrome is seen as the first legitimate contender to Apple's Safari, the default software that comes with iOS and the browser apps throw to to when clicking on a link. While users can surf the web through other dedicated internet apps or through integrated browsers like 1Password's bare-bones offering, most users tend to gravitate toward Apple's non-deletable Safari.

MS was sued for such things.  They lost, and were fined for tying Internet Explorer to their operating system.  Sure, you could install other browsers and use them for other functions.  But anything OS-linked was done in IE.

 

And Apple ties Safari to any iOS browsing and hotlinks, which can't be replaced by another browser.

post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

What's that? like a thousand people on the whole planet?  Wow.  
There have been about 250 million iOS-based iDevices sold right? To capture 1/4% of the browser market on iOS-based iDevices that would mean 3.5 million. That said, market share for browser stats are not a 1:1 ratio of each device but it does give an idea that it's pretty popular for a 3rd-party browser from the App Store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Why would anyone use Chrome for ios? It's just ios webview with a different name. 

One reasonable answer is because one likes the UI and features better than Safari. It does use WebKit but it also doesn't use the Nitro JS engine that Safari uses because 3rd-party apps don't have access to that due to security concerns which means I won't be using it even though there are nice aspects about it I hope Apple does adopt.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

MS was sued for such things.

No they weren't. That's like claiming you didn't kill someone, the bullet did.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #12 of 32

Chrome for iOS has many features Safari does not.

 

- Unified search and navigation bar

- Much easier private browsing

- Voice search

- Request desktop version

- Flicking between open tabs

 

It's notably missing "Reader" mode. They both support syncing with the desktop version.

 

This is not just a UIWebView. Chrome has a decent market share on the Mac and using it for iOS makes more sense for these people. Especially for the syncing.

Andrew
Reply
Andrew
Reply
post #13 of 32
Good. So far only 1% of iDevice users are stupid enough to hand over even more of their life to Google.
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

You obviously have never used Safari. I'm even using Safari when in my Windows environment now because it works so well.

 

How nice for you.  BAsed upon Safaris numbers for browser usage, most people do not agree.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Don't bother.  He's just a troll.  

 

He's probably not aware that Chrome on iOS *is* Safari for all intents and purposes with the exception of the UI.  He's also probably not aware that Chrome uses webkit and therefore benefits from Safari and perhaps wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Safari.  

Don't forget he probably isn't aware that Google is offering their own browser simply because Safari doesn't let their sites spy on you, otherwise they wouldn't have made the effort since it isn't really any faster than Safari.

 

Google is really good at hype, even better than Apple considering they build it off of crap software vs Apple who builds it off solid design.  Google offers great FREE services because frankly no one would pay for them if it came down to it (that ought to bring out the trolls). lol.gif

 

Edit: is it just me or has the new AI forum been really buggy.

post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

 

How nice for you.  BAsed upon Safaris numbers for browser usage, most people do not agree.

Safari & webkit are almost identical & webkit is at the core of more browsers than any other platform.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebKit  Chrome isn't any better than Firefox or Safari, it's only grown because of the massive advertising Google put behind it & because people are dumping IE like mad (not to mention it's spread through Android).  Google put a lot into Chrome because when they control the browser they have access to everything that you do.  Hope you love being an open book for them.

post #17 of 32

The UI of Chrome is pretty good but all of it's advantages are negated for me because it can't be used as the default browser.

 

Do I want this to change? No way, given Googles performance over cookies I wouldn't trust them to have high level access to my phone. What I would like is for Apple to adopt some of the best bits of Chrome on IOS, the unified search, and the tab navigation are the two I would want them to start with.

 

Well I can hope :)

post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

MS was sued for such things.  They lost, and were fined for tying Internet Explorer to their operating system.  Sure, you could install other browsers and use them for other functions.  But anything OS-linked was done in IE.

 

And Apple ties Safari to any iOS browsing and hotlinks, which can't be replaced by another browser.

Apple sells the software & hardware together, Microsoft got dinged because they pretty much owned the Desktop OS market.  If Apple gets to a point that it appears they are monopolizing a market & some practice of theirs is creating obvious anti-competitive tactics they'll get dinged too.  In some ways they're already seen this way in certain countries & you see it in the way certain court systems respond to their patent disputes.

post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by festerfeet View Post

The UI of Chrome is pretty good but all of it's advantages are negated for me because it can't be used as the default browser.

 

Do I want this to change? No way, given Googles performance over cookies I wouldn't trust them to have high level access to my phone. What I would like is for Apple to adopt some of the best bits of Chrome on IOS, the unified search, and the tab navigation are the two I would want them to start with.

 

Well I can hope :)

Was that sarcasm or are you serious?  Couldn't tell but just in case.

 

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/#safari

 

Nevermind, my bad, got confused with Safari for Mountain Lion.

post #20 of 32
Quote:

Was that sarcasm or are you serious?  Couldn't tell but just in case.

 

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/#safari

 

Nevermind, my bad, got confused with Safari for Mountain Lion.

No problem, I got confused by what was being offered on what platform myself when the announcement came out I really thought they they would give us a unified search bar on IOS as it would make even more sense on an IOS device.

 

 

post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

What's that? like a thousand people on the whole planet?  Wow.  
There have been about 250 million iOS-based iDevices sold right? To capture 1/4% of the browser market on iOS-based iDevices that would mean 3.5 million. That said, market share for browser stats are not a 1:1 ratio of each device but it does give an idea that it's pretty popular for a 3rd-party browser from the App Store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Why would anyone use Chrome for ios? It's just ios webview with a different name. 

One reasonable answer is because one likes the UI and features better than Safari. It does use WebKit but it also doesn't use the Nitro JS engine that Safari uses because 3rd-party apps don't have access to that due to security concerns which means I won't be using it even though there are nice aspects about it I hope Apple does adopt.

The chart is showing US & Canada, not global figures. What I don't understand is why the article writes about 'near real time tool' but the legend says '6 hour delay'. And their graph is horrible with that outer Chrome rim.

Of course one can browse the internet with an alternative to Safari, clicking on an URL will show that webpage in Safari. Nothing can be done about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

MS was sued for such things.

No they weren't. That's like claiming you didn't kill someone, the bullet did.

They were sued, got a $794M fine for these practices. Thanks to Neelie Smith Kroes in her role for the European Commissioner for Competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Edit: is it just me or has the new AI forum been really buggy.

Pretty bad heh. What I don't understand is why a company like AI is covering on Apple, a company that has such a great eye for detail yet AI makes such a mess of their site, the forum, the grammar, non proof reading and so on and so forth...
Edited by PhilBoogie - 7/19/12 at 10:47pm
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfcurtin View Post

really cause safari sucks in any version

You are entitled to your opinion - I'm not arguing either way - but you must REALLY hate Safari if you signed up more than two years ago and THIS is the first thing you chose to comment about. Really, up to now nothing else was worth posting about?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Why would anyone use Chrome for ios? It's just ios webview with a different name. 


I'd disagree with that.

post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Was that sarcasm or are you serious?  Couldn't tell but just in case.

 

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/#safari

 

Nevermind, my bad, got confused with Safari for Mountain Lion.


Guess you should have ... "hesitated"?  ;)

post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

What's that? like a thousand people on the whole planet?  Wow.  


Close .. only off by ~ 3 orders of magnitude.  It's not bad market penetration in < 1 month

post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post


You are entitled to your opinion - I'm not arguing either way - but you must REALLY hate Safari if you signed up more than two years ago and THIS is the first thing you chose to comment about. Really, up to now nothing else was worth posting about?

don't be too hard on him, I might have taken that long to formulate that whole opening gambit. more on topic tho, I think atomic web browser is great, complete with adblock, just a pity no default browser can be chosen.

post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

MS was sued for such things.  They lost, and were fined for tying Internet Explorer to their operating system.  Sure, you could install other browsers and use them for other functions.  But anything OS-linked was done in IE.

 

And Apple ties Safari to any iOS browsing and hotlinks, which can't be replaced by another browser.

 

In hindsight, perhaps the DoJ and the EU were being a little too aggressive with Microsoft and a little too biased.  Firefox and Chrome, both took off despite IE coming pre-installed.

 

And now the EU is pursuing Microsoft for embedding IE in Windows 8 RT, yet they haven't come knocking on Apple's door for making Safari the default choice on iOS or on Google's door for now making Chrome the default browser on Android from Jellybean (though to be fair, you can actually change the browser on Android).  I'm loathe to defend MS, but there is something unfair about only pursuing one company for the same practice.

post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post


You are entitled to your opinion - I'm not arguing either way - but you must REALLY hate Safari if you signed up more than two years ago and THIS is the first thing you chose to comment about. Really, up to now nothing else was worth posting about?

 Why does he have to post prior comments?

 

I've been posting here a while.  I don't use Safari on my Mac.  I prefer Chrome and have been using Chrome on my Mac for years.  I just find the UI more comfortable.  The sync features that were added recently are a bonus.  It now syncs with my phone and tablet.

post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

MS was sued for such things.  They lost, and were fined for tying Internet Explorer to their operating system.  Sure, you could install other browsers and use them for other functions.  But anything OS-linked was done in IE.

And Apple ties Safari to any iOS browsing and hotlinks, which can't be replaced by another browser.

That is all nonsense. First, Safari isn't tied to iOS in the way that IE was tied to Windows. Second, Apple doesn't have a monopoly in smart phones the way MS had with desktop operating systems. Third, Apple did not go out of its way to disable competitor's browsers. There's almost no comparison between Windows/IE and iOS/Safari.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

Chrome for iOS has many features Safari does not.

- Unified search and navigation bar
- Much easier private browsing
- Voice search
- Request desktop version
- Flicking between open tabs

It's notably missing "Reader" mode. They both support syncing with the desktop version.

This is not just a UIWebView. Chrome has a decent market share on the Mac and using it for iOS makes more sense for these people. Especially for the syncing.

I think it's important to remember what the article says: "The caveat here, of course, is that the sites that use Chitika’s ads and the users that visit them may not be 100% representative of the web as a whole". Without knowing how they arrived at their numbers, it's hard to say how real the 1.4% figure is. If it's real, it's pretty amazing to go from 0 to 1.4% in just a month- even with the advantages you cite.

However, it does create a problem for the Android shills here. This is the same source that says that the iPhone is responsible for something like 80-90% of mobile web browsing. So if they want to brag about this figure and believe that it's accurate, they lose the ability to pretend that the 80-90% of web browsing done on iOS devices is incorrect.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

Chrome for iOS has many features Safari does not.

 

- Unified search and navigation bar

- Much easier private browsing

- Voice search

- Request desktop version

- Flicking between open tabs

 

It's notably missing "Reader" mode. They both support syncing with the desktop version.

 

This is not just a UIWebView. Chrome has a decent market share on the Mac and using it for iOS makes more sense for these people. Especially for the syncing.


Private browsing? Hahaha! You do realize this is Google you are talking about, don't you? Nothing is private with Google.

post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

He's probably not aware that Chrome on iOS *is* Safari for all intents and purposes with the exception of the UI.  He's also probably not aware that Chrome uses webkit and therefore benefits from Safari and perhaps wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Safari.  

 

Yes, Chrome is based on WebKit.  But that doesn't mean there would be no Chrome if not for Safari.  Don't forget that WebKit began life as KDE's KHTML/KJS engine.  I'm sure that if WebKit was not available, Google would've released a browser (whether called Chrome or something else) based on a different engine.  Maybe KHTML, maybe Gecko, maybe something else

post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by twosee View Post


Private browsing? Hahaha! You do realize this is Google you are talking about, don't you? Nothing is private with Google.

Perfect.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Chrome iOS app captures 1.4% of browser market