or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple co-founder Jobs admired Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, biographer says

Apple co-founder Jobs admired Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, biographer says

post #1 of 22
Steve Jobs biographer Walter Isaacson on Tuesday reaffirmed the tech guru's respect for Mark Zuckerberg during an interview with Washington Post Company CEO and Facebook board member Don Graham.

As the discussion turned to the relationship between the late Jobs and Zuckerberg, Isaacson noted that the Apple co-founder admired the Facebook chief's "intuitive feel" for company needs and passion, reports Business Insider.

It was previously reported that Zuckerberg modeled his early management style on the late CEO's famously aggressive take on leadership. The Facebook founder also said that Jobs had coached him on how to build a better company, a gesture confirmed in Isaacson's "Steve Jobs" autobiography.

"Jobs meant an enormous amount to the education of Mark," Graham said. "Mark will talk about that until the cows come home."

While Zuckerberg's admiration of Jobs is well known, the reverse was less clear. During Tuesday's on-stage session, Graham asked if Jobs ever mentioned Zuckerberg to Isaacson.

"I once asked Jobs who [he] admired in [Silicon] Valley," Isaacson said. "Mark's was the first name on his lips."

Steve Jobs

Isaacson alluded that Jobs' decision to abandon an Apple-run social network after Ping failed was based on a type of respect for Zuckerberg. A 2010 report claimed Jobs had invited Zuckerberg to dinner to discuss Ping and its possible integration with Facebook.

"Steve never cracked the code on social—maybe a few people in the room remember Ping," Isaacson quipped about the social music service rumored to be nearing end of life. The author recalls that when Jobs was asked why a follow-up network wasn't attempt he said, "maybe because Mark did it so well. There's not a need for a whole lot of social networks and Facebook has got it licked."
post #2 of 22

Jobs also loathed Charmin, preferring Scott brand for its subtly understated marketing and no-nonsense abrasiveness.

post #3 of 22
OMG don't say you admire Zuck it just makes it worse. WORSE I tells ya.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #4 of 22
What's next, someone claiming Steve admired the Microsoft Surface? It's coming. Just you wait.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 22
Ping Pang n Pong.
Good riddance to bad rubbish.
post #6 of 22
I don't know why old news is news again.. It's in his autobiography, and an audio interview that says he admires Zuckerberg..
post #7 of 22
Must have been a side effect of the medication.
post #8 of 22

I love Jobs' point about people not needing that many social networks. So true, and probably a big reason why Google+ has thus far failed to really catch on - people don't see a clear reason for switching from Facebook. Love it or hate it, Facebook does social networking exceptionally well. It will be a long time before another competitor knocks it from the top.

post #9 of 22
Admired Zuckerberg?

The guy who started a multi-billion dollar company based on the idea of f@cking over the girlfriend who had dumped him, in order to f@ck over the privacy rights of millions?

Am I missing something?
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #10 of 22

PR blitz as Facebook (FB) stock drops like a rock. 

post #11 of 22

3 problems with Facebook:

1) The IRS Facebooks you and has a list of all your friends in order to get all your info, offering them a cut

2) The Democratic party gets all your info, as Zuckerberg is a staunch young idealist Democrat

3) Thiefs break into your house when you go on vacation as they monitor your posts

Facebook is the nasty gossip mill of the Internet, giving the IRS, the Democratic party and enemies of all types your information.  

post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I don't think Jobs would have admired the convoluted mess of privacy settings that Facebook has become where the default setting for all new features is "Give all my blood and first born to the advertisers"

Facebook is a free service. Apple sells hardware.
Now, if Apple offered a social network, for free, if you buy hteir hardware, maybe that comparison might hold.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #13 of 22

He has a right to admire who he wants, but I don't like Facebook so I'd have a hard time admiring Mark.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What's next, someone claiming Steve admired the Microsoft Surface? It's coming. Just you wait.

Didn't Woz already make a dumb comment in that direction?

Regarding the comment by Steve,
Of course there are moments in time when many people seem admirable, it doesn't mean five years later they still are.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Admired Zuckerberg?
The guy who started a multi-billion dollar company based on the idea of f@cking over the girlfriend who had dumped him, in order to f@ck over the privacy rights of millions?
Am I missing something?

Yeah you are.  That scene at the beginning of The Social Network was completely fabricated.  He just married the girl he has been dating since before he started working on Facebook.  The information is available to you from 10 seconds of Googling.

post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Yeah you are.  That scene at the beginning of The Social Network was completely fabricated.  He just married the girl he has been dating since before he started working on Facebook.  The information is available to you from 10 seconds of Googling.

Hence the question:

"Am I missing something?"

And I draw the line at Googling Mark Zuckerberg's Yahoo.

post #17 of 22

He probably admired the way he stepped up to be CEO and retained control of his company. That's a lot easier to do nowadays because there's more respect for founder-CEOs (although even Google got "adult supervision") but it still takes guts and would especially resonate with Jobs.

post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenoleno View Post

1) The IRS Facebooks you and has a list of all your friends in order to get all your info, offering them a cut

URL?

post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenoleno View Post

2) The Democratic party gets all your info, as Zuckerberg is a staunch young idealist Democrat

3) Thiefs break into your house when you go on vacation as they monitor your posts

Facebook is the nasty gossip mill of the Internet, giving the IRS, the Democratic party and enemies of all types your information.  

1) Proof?

2) Proof?

3) Keep your account private and don't have shady friends, as the people who have been busted thieving from vacationing Facebook folks recently were on their friends list.  Win.

post #20 of 22

Here is the problem with Facebook or any "Social Network", kids who are the primary user and some amount of 20 somethings, had learned or are learning that putting their lives out there is not good, only bad comes from it. If you ask any adult who is on FB why they have an account the majority of them will tell you to keep an eye on theirs kids. So kids are starting to abandon FB when that happen so will the adults expect those who use it as a cheap way to find a date or hook up with someone they dated in high school or college which will lead to them getting a divorce.

Anyway, the reason Mark Z is keeping his month shut, is because he know business is beginning to decline and has no big ideal on how to turn it around. People are starting to reduce their usage of FB and there is probably nothing he can do about it.

He basically dump his business on the un-expecting market and they are the one who just took all the losses. There was no reason for a company which was making the profits of FB needed to go public, they had plenty of case to grow. But the idiot caught in the hip just made him a billionaire.

post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Here is the problem with Facebook or any "Social Network", kids who are the primary user and some amount of 20 somethings, had learned or are learning that putting their lives out there is not good, only bad comes from it. If you ask any adult who is on FB why they have an account the majority of them will tell you to keep an eye on theirs kids. So kids are starting to abandon FB when that happen so will the adults expect those who use it as a cheap way to find a date or hook up with someone they dated in high school or college which will lead to them getting a divorce.

Wow, so in the course of a paragraph, most adult users of FB are only stalking their kids or plotting adultery and kids are dropping FB indroves and not posting stupid things that will damage their future?  The stupidity of this post is pretty crazy.  I don't know any adults who are on FB only to keep an eye on their kids.  Most of us enjoy keeping w/our friends and families.  Are all adults on FB married?  B/c you seem to imply that w/the adulterous hookup angle.  I haven't seen any studies showing FB usage is declining and they have about 20% of the world's population w/active accounts.  I've seen some saying that more people are accessing it thru their phones, which isn't monetizes nearly as well as from desktop and laptop systems, but that isn't nearly the same thing.

Maybe this is just a post trying to push the FB prices down some to be able to buy more cheaper.  We've seen crazier things here at AI before.

post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Wow, so in the course of a paragraph, most adult users of FB are only stalking their kids or plotting adultery and kids are dropping FB indroves and not posting stupid things that will damage their future?  The stupidity of this post is pretty crazy.  I don't know any adults who are on FB only to keep an eye on their kids.  Most of us enjoy keeping w/our friends and families.  Are all adults on FB married?  B/c you seem to imply that w/the adulterous hookup angle.  I haven't seen any studies showing FB usage is declining and they have about 20% of the world's population w/active accounts.  I've seen some saying that more people are accessing it thru their phones, which isn't monetizes nearly as well as from desktop and laptop systems, but that isn't nearly the same thing.

Maybe this is just a post trying to push the FB prices down some to be able to buy more cheaper.  We've seen crazier things here at AI before.

Yeah, ever adult I know only joined because their kids were on it and so they can keep an eye on them as any good parent would do. I ask adults with kids all the time and majority of them have said they joined because of their kids. No people did not join to cheat on the wife, but the end result has been they hooked up with a high school or college sweet heart. This has been documented in the news a number of times and appears to be a trend. But I was really joke on that pieces.

Just because FB account numbers keep growing, it does not mean that everyone are using those account as much. Is FB usage declining, ask advertisers who have been rethinking their advertising strategy and have moved away from FB This two has been documented in the news. Also, my kids tell me all the time their friends no long use face book, why they will tell they realize it is turning into a bad thing too many people knowing what you are doing.

Beside the fact they some state have made it illegal to ask people for their FB password so they can see what they are up to. I can tell you the Recruiting industry has been checking people FB pages for a long time and not hiring people because of what was posted about them. Oh block you page but it does not stop someone from seeing one of your friends pages and see what they posted about you it they did not block the information. So yes, kids are now realizing it could cost them to have a FB page. At our school we had a situation where a teacher posted something and the kids found it then the teacher blocked it from view, and I show my kids I could find it again via a web archive, and they shared it with their friends so it never really disappeared.

So yes kids are getting smart finally and learning FB may not be a good thing as the see more and more of their friend get in trouble or loose out on a job or going to a good school.

Anyway, I believe FB as well as Google future growth limited at this point and Mark Z know this thus the reason to dumb the company on the Market since he had plenty of cash to continue to grow the company. Sell your company on the open market (stock) is a last resort for growing a company due to all the rules and regulations it not worth doing it if you can raise money other ways. if Mark Z is that smart he would know this.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple co-founder Jobs admired Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, biographer says