or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Court filing reveals Apple's iPad prototype from early 2000s

Court filing reveals Apple's iPad prototype from early 2000s - Page 2

post #41 of 70

Looks like a Macbook (white, plastic, poly-carbonate maybe?).

If it's running an Atom, that would explain the thickness.

As for the photo quality, these look like scans of photocopied greyscale printouts.  In 2003, digital camera quality was great.  I still have my Kodak DC4800 3.1MP camera and it took great pictures and I bought it in 2001.

post #42 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

Nope.

That's backwards thinking that lacks vision and imagination. MS thought a tablet was simply a keyboard-less laptop. One that ran a marginally modified, stylus driven version of Windows, and one that was burdened with the same PC era expansion and media slots.

Apple re-invented the idea of a tablet by abandoning the windows metaphor and stylus input in favor of a completely new touch-based OS. Then they removed the expansion slot idea. Then they did away with the keyboard. All these bold decisions defined what Apple was doing, and all these concepts were absent in the wholly unoriginal and failed MS tablets... from yesteryear as well as the future!

Fixed it for ya... 1smile.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #43 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

This looks like it is made of the same white polycarbonate shell as iBooks were back in 2004.

I think it is an old white MacBook with the keyboard ripped off!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #44 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Ummm, yeah. This was a prototype. That is why it looks like one. And even then, what windows tablet looked even close?

Hmmm... The HP TC1000 that I've owned since 2003?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That actually existed? I'm pretty sure that was the minority. Most Windows tablets were of the "convertible" style.

Quote:

Bullsh*t.

The TC 1000 was a laptop running windows with a removable screen that could be driven via stylus. The iPad prototype was far more forward thinking.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, here is CNet reviewing it in 2002 - they refer to it as a "tablet", and in a way that makes it sound like there were others to choose from...     

------------------------------------------------------------
Review Date:  11/05/02

Average User Rating

3.5stars11 user reviews

The good: Flexible design; extremely small and light; excellent stylus; low base price.

The bad: Weak performance; dock costs extra.

The bottom line: The TC1000 isn't the speediest tablet we've seen, but if you're after style and flexibility, it's a winner.

post #45 of 70
Quote:

Just one? I thought 3 each or bust.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #46 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Well, here is CNet reviewing it in 2002 - they refer to it as a "tablet", and in a way that makes it sound like there were others to choose from...     

Review Date: 11/05/02

Average User Rating

stars

11 user reviews

The good:
 Flexible design; extremely small and light; excellent stylus; low base price.

The bad:
 Weak performance; dock costs extra.

The bottom line:
 The TC1000 isn't the speediest tablet we've seen, but if you're after style and flexibility, it's a winner.

Simmer down people. My post wasn't about semantics or the definition of the word tablet. I'm well aware that tablets have been around for decades. By calling the TC1000 a mere keyboard-less laptop doesn't negate that's it's technically a tablet. I don't care if it's defined as a tablet or not. My point, again is this:

Someone here insinuated that the TC1000 was basically an iPad years before the Apple tablet hit stores. It wasn't. The iPad is massively different and far more advanced and forward thinking. So I called him on his bullsh*t.
post #47 of 70
When all is said and done, Microsoft's tablet initiative was a bust. They worked very poorly. They were mostly used in warehouses and hospitals with programs written specially for the stylus which rarely required anything more than a signature, a sentence or two and mostly little boxes you could tap to check off items.

This is why Apple took so long. First, the processing power was too weak for a tablet. Microsoft tablets were really full fledged laptops, with most of them weighing between 3.5 to 6 pounds. Secondly, the battery life was too short. Windows wasn't properly accommodating to a stylus, and even Win 8 still isn't, referring to the Desktop.
post #48 of 70
Quote:

That's because, by the very nature of their function, ALL tablet comupters share the same basic aesthetic, one primarily of a detached laptop display... and they likely always will.
Additionally: The primary reason for manufacturers not proving 'expansion' slots etc. to just to force consumers to buy higher capacity models at exorbitant prices, and very little else.

No, you miss the point of not having expansion slots. The point is to provide a simple to use, straightforward OS that does away with need for desktop-esque file management. The iPad just works. There's no remembering where you saved something, or the OS needing to keep track of where files were moved. And with the advent of the cloud, there is less and less need for local storage.

And by "manufacturers" you're primarily talking about Apple, as Android OEMs still continue to add useless ports and slots to pump up the feature spec list.

post #49 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

haha 

Also relevant to the topic is this groundbreaking device which Apple started work on in 1987...

Apple_Newton_and_iPhone.jpg

Not once did Apple tried to shoehorn its desktop OS into a released tablet-like product; not the MassagePad, not Newton, not Hi Fi Speaker...

post #50 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

So basically this confirms that the iPhone and iPod Touch are small tablets and not the other way around what people have been saying that the iPad is just a blown up iPhone/iPod Touch..

AppleThink is always proven to be correct eventually.

Stay Strong!

post #51 of 70

Steve Jobs was smart not to go too fast with this. Other companies would have taken this design and rushed to market.

post #52 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Steve Jobs was smart not to go too fast with this. Other companies would have taken this design and rushed to market.

Other companies did take their designs and rushed them to market.  Motorola's XOOM and RIM's Playbook, and the stillborn Touchpad all come to mind.

I won't include the countless of chinese iPad knockoffs that couldn't even get a stock image of Android running right.

post #53 of 70

Is that an early version of the 30 pin connector in the upper photo?

ipad-120718.jpg

post #54 of 70
Quote:

The TC 1000 was a laptop running windows with a removable screen that could be driven via stylus. The iPad prototype was far more forward thinking.

Hmm... "MeniThings"... I seem to recall an animator with a name like that. Are you an animator?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #55 of 70
Quote:

You're moving the goal post...

What we're supposed to be talking about was your post claiming that the TC1000 somehow predated the iPad. It did not.

What?

FACT: The Hp TC1000 very much 'predated the iPad' given that the Hp TC1000) Tablet Computer was avaiable for purchase in 2002, and the Apple iPad wasn't even announced until 2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

No, you miss the point of not having expansion slots. The point is to provide a simple to use, straightforward OS that does away with need for desktop-esque file management.

You're obviously ignorant as to how modern memory exspansion works in many of these mobile devices given that there's no need for any of what you mentioned, as all files etc. are completely integrated into to device's total file system.
Edited by DaHarder - 7/18/12 at 12:09pm
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #56 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

haha 

Also relevant to the topic is this groundbreaking device which Apple started work on in 1987...

LL

I'm sure someone will post a picture of their Galaxy Note and proclaim that Samsung was doing this years before Newton. It's that type of forum.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #57 of 70

Folk the whole table things is not new even before Newton Apple created a prototype table based on the Powerbook Duo if you remember them., They removed the keyboard and attached the display to where the keyboard and track ball was and it work with a pen, but your finger worked as well just not as smoothly as the pen or touch displays today.

It never saw the light of day, it was around for a while before the killed the idea when Newton came out. 

As someone commented about how long it take for these to come to market, this is not unusually, I saw prototypes of the trackpad back in 1989 which worked just not real well and I also saw prototypes of the inkjet printers in 1990 it works but was very slow took minutes to print a plane page of text. Company who do not rush technology to market usually are very successful.

post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm sure someone will post a picture of their Galaxy Note and proclaim that Samsung was doing this years before Newton. It's that type of forum.

If you want to be utterly infuriated with Android fanboyism, troll posts and baiting, visit this thread on The Verge:  http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/18/3167346/apple-order-samsung-copy-uk 

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #59 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Think back on digital camera image quality around 2004. High quality output was very expensive, affordable not nearly so much.

The original images shown in the article were likely shot on film, either C41 process, or fast black and white, like Tri-X or Tmax-400.

I had a Nikon D100 in 2002 for $2000. I think Apple could have afforded one as well. It still takes fabulous 17 MB shots today. Regardless of what that image was shot with, it was either intentionally made grainy of accidentally but it has absolutely nothing to do with any limitation of equipment either film based or digital.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #60 of 70
Quote:

Posting up pictures of old Samsung photo frames and HP 'tablets' turned off without showing the operating systems running them does little to either make your point or gain you credibility.

And your claim begs the question:

If all these companies came up with the idea for an 'iPad' or 'iPhone' first, then why aren't they in the position where they own those markets now like Apple does?

The answer, is because these devices were nothing like the 'sum products' that Apple makes, hence you only being able to pick individual features one at a time across the entire range of them.

Edited by GTR - 7/18/12 at 3:52pm
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #61 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Meh, looks like one of those Windows tablets. Thick, and prototype-looking. Of course, back then, this was great. 

It looks like something that was possible during that era within the permissible tolerance levels of a consumer grade device. What more do you want? There are parts and components today that just weren't available at that time.

Quote:

That actually existed? I'm pretty sure that was the minority. Most Windows tablets were of the "convertible" style.

I remember a few variants. I never paid that much attention to them, but I felt that laptops of that era were somewhat strained. These weren't very appealing to me. I still lack an ipad simply because I wouldn't use it most of the time. Further software development and better storage and connectivity options would change that for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

The fact that Apple was happy to spend 8 years perfecting it tells you everything you need to know about whether innovation comes from visionary companies and is then copied or if it comes from everybody zeroing in on an "obvious" design. Frankly, if you think the latter is true, you know nothing about design or development. Android and the Android tablets are not just copies, they're obviously the product of careful and deliberate reverse engineering. They simply would not exist otherwise. I have no doubt at all that Google very carefully studied the iPhone and measured the way it responded to touch, etc, probably using some kind of robotic rig and high speed cameras to ensure they could copy it just-so. I have no doubt that Samsung took apart the iPhone and iPad and carefully studied them so they could make their own. That's how these products came into existence in such a short time after the iPhone/iPad was released.

You are so silly. 8 years perfecting it? It's more likely that the technology wasn't there to do it the way they wanted to at the time, and they couldn't afford a flop product (remember they were a much smaller company back then). It looks more like something was put on the back burner rather than perfected for 8 years.

Quote:

Nope.

That's backwards thinking that lacks vision and imagination. MS thought a tablet was simply a keyboard-less laptop. One that ran a marginally modified, stylus driven version of Windows, and one that was burdened with the same PC era expansion and media slots.

Apple re-invented the idea of a tablet by abandoning the windows metaphor and stylus input in favor of a completely new touch-based OS. Then they removed the expansion slot idea. Then they did away with the keyboard. All these bold decisions defined what Apple was doing, and all these concepts were absent in the wholly unoriginal and failed MS tablets.

You are equally unimaginative with this statement. It's fully possible that this project was working within the budget they were given. Budget and timeline may not have allowed for a full rewrite, or they may not have been confident that they could get developers on board. It's far less likely that they simply had a lack of forward thinking at an engineering level (they had access plenty of amazing programmers and engineers). Some of you are filled with too much hatred and too little independent thought.

post #62 of 70

This is Knigth Ridder circa 1994 when they envisioned "tablet newspaper" and its many other possible uses, and yes..., it's in rectangular shape, much like paintings, theater screens, televisions and computer monitors that come before it. 

knight_ridder_ca1994.jpgkr1.jpgkr2.jpg

Videos on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBEtPQDQNcI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCeOM0XwXsY

Undoubtedly, public apology is the least Apple can do for the waste of time and money it had created for its patent infringing cases based on some its dubious patents issued by USPTO. I suggest the court to punish Apple lawyers by making them sit underneath Apple trees during its harvesting season. Barrages of rotten apples hitting their heads ought to knock some senses out of them.

post #63 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJunior View Post

Haha! This is how people think. Apple is not that popular anymore.

Competition trumps litigation every time!

Apple has never been that "popular" among certain people, as I quickly learnt when first using the Internet in 1993.

As Apple has come back to rub their face in it, they seem to be getting more and more desperate.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #64 of 70
Tablets have existed before any of us were even born

I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #65 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #66 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Not necessarily true.

Which one of my reincarnations were you referring to?
post #67 of 70

The screen captures of Knight Ridder's "The Tablet Newspaper" in 1993. 

Youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBEtPQDQNcI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCeOM0XwXsY

Well, it has rectangular shape, much like paintings, theater screens, televisions and computer monitors that precede it.

Edited by mcrs - 7/19/12 at 9:22am
post #68 of 70
Quote:

What?
FACT: The Hp TC1000 very much 'predated the iPad' given that the Hp TC1000) Tablet Computer was avaiable for purchase in 2002, and the Apple iPad wasn't even announced until 2010.

I don't contest that there were many models of TabletPCs made, but they failed to grow outside of a niche, in large part because of the baggage and assumptions made by the OS provider. The hardware didn't help much either.
post #69 of 70
Quote:

What?

Thanks to you et al. you've made it crystal clear that despite prices below the iPad and many models to choose from that vendors were so inept in making a tablet that it wasn't until Apple came along and showed them how to do it right that it became a successful market.

Did you really think Apple didn't and doesn't have all sorts of various products in labs? The difference is a smart company doesn't just launch a half-assed product that isn't read for the market just because they have some basic form and functionality in place. I bet you place chess by bringing out queen ASAP. Care to play me in chess?

post #70 of 70
Quote:

I don't contest that there were many models of TabletPCs made, but they failed to grow outside of a niche, in large part because of the baggage and assumptions made by the OS provider. The hardware didn't help much either.

I don't see it so much as assumptions by the OS provider. It looked more like they did what they could with whatever R&D/project budget. No one was really pushing this into a mainstream product class of its own.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Court filing reveals Apple's iPad prototype from early 2000s