or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Sprint to offer free FaceTime over wireless
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sprint to offer free FaceTime over wireless

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
While AT&T hasn't confirmed or denied whether it will be charging for the upcoming FaceTime over cellular iOS feature, Sprint says it will offer the service for free when the next-gen mobile OS launches this fall.

In a report regarding AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson's recent statements pertaining to a rumored fee for over-the-air video chat capabilities, The Wall Street Journal reported that a Sprint spokeswoman confirmed her carrier would be keeping with its unlimited model and is expected to offer the service free of charge.

The issue of charging for data used by FaceTime first arose on Tuesday when a iOS 6 beta error message was discovered which gave instructions on how "to enable FaceTime over cellular on this account.". Stephenson admitted that he too heard the rumor but claimed no official decision had been made either way, saying it's 'too early' to talk about such fees. The AT&T chief went on to say his company was working with Apple to iron out kinks in the system.

Sprint claims it has no plans to place pricing or data restrictions on FaceTime.

"We are committed to our unlimited data and that means not charging for data consumption based on the application," the Sprint spokeswoman said.

FaceTime
Source: Apple


Verizon, the nation's largest wireless carrier, has yet to comment on the issue but the company announced in May it would be terminating unlimited data plans as the network transitioned to 4G LTE.
post #2 of 22

Data is data. It shouldn't matter what you use it on, especially if it's limited with data caps.

post #3 of 22
Pretty sure Skype over 3G is free so this isn't really anything but PR to look good after ATT's embarrassments
post #4 of 22

Strange, a carrier that seems like they want your business rather than acting as if it's a burden to have you as a customer.

post #5 of 22

^--- Exactly. It is quite refreshing. I regret staying with AT&T with my 4s
 

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #6 of 22

I travel all through the US and I have used iPhone 4S on Sprint network. Sprint uses the oldest & slowest Revision A EVDO 3G technology, Sprint's service is horrible, what you get is unlimited dial up except few big city areas you will get up to ~1.5 mb down if you are lucky and standing next to a window or on the street. AT&T has one of the fastest most advance Wireless networks in the US and steadily improving it. There is a reason why Apple choose AT&T, first wireless carrier to carry their iPhone.

post #7 of 22

WOW !!

My family has 9 iPhone's and 5 iPads.

 

We are all due for AT&T renewals this fall.

 

If AT&T thinks charging us for Facetime use, is going to make us happy, are they clueless.

 

I know I can convince my entire family to go to Sprint.

 

I'll have to take a good look at Sprints family/sharing plans.

 

EDIT:

Well that post right above me just effed-up my hopes

post #8 of 22
SPrint says everyone can have unlimited Facetime data use.

What Sprint really means: no one will be able to use Facetime at our gawd-aweful 2G speeds, so it doesn't matter what we tell these morons, er customers. Maybe this will get us a few new suckers, er customers, for 2 years of crappy, er slow, service. Then we have have these idiots, er customers, suckered in, er locked in, for two years and we finally get a few cities with the slowest 4G speeds, we'll change our policy.
post #9 of 22

Hopefully Sprint sets the tone foe ATT and Verizon, If not then theres join to be a lot of defections from ATT as well as Verizon to Sprint. 

post #10 of 22
No wonder why their stock price has increased 40% since December. Keep going sprint! Bought 5k shares back then!

Buck the trend and compete against the AT&T/Verizon duopoly!
post #11 of 22
Good on them. I hope the others follow suit. I just wish it was one of the two largest carriers that initiated it because Sprint and T-Mobile exert less pressure in the market.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Data is data. It shouldn't matter what you use it on, especially if it's limited with data caps.

you are right.. and with LTE  voice IS data..  yet with the new shared data plan give you unlimited voice but not data. 

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioZ View Post

I travel all through the US and I have used iPhone 4S on Sprint network. Sprint uses the oldest & slowest Revision A EVDO 3G technology, Sprint's service is horrible, what you get is unlimited dial up except few big city areas you will get up to ~1.5 mb down if you are lucky and standing next to a window or on the street. AT&T has one of the fastest most advance Wireless networks in the US and steadily improving it. There is a reason why Apple choose AT&T, first wireless carrier to carry their iPhone.

 

 

I disagree. Apple was never going to pick Sprint first unless it absolutely had to do so. Sprint's CEO even acknowledged Apple was just using a potential deal with Sprint to get a better deal from AT&T. To maximize profit, Apple wanted to release one phone worldwide. As such, Apple had to pick a US carrier operating on a GSM network since that is what most of the world used. That meant Apple really wanted to go with AT&T or T-Mobile. 

 

People seem to forget, AT&T's data network sucked when the iPhone first came on board. Its voice services wasn't much better. Moreover, Verizon was the clear market leader in terms of subscribers. The iPhone, however, changed AT&T's fortunes by bringing 30 millions users to AT&T thereby giving it money to invest heavily in its Network. Had Sprint been Apple's first partner, Sprint would likely have obtained a lot more subscribers thereby allowing it to heavily invest in its network. 

 

What will be interesting is what T-Mobile does when it gets the iPhone. T-Mobile's 3G network is faster than AT&T's and Verizon's. Its 4G network is also competitive. T-Mobile also has unlimited plans and its pricing is much better than everybody else. 

post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Hopefully Sprint sets the tone foe ATT and Verizon, If not then theres join to be a lot of defections from ATT as well as Verizon to Sprint. 

I am holding out for t-Mobile, but I applaud Sprint.

post #15 of 22

This is madness. Sprint is not "offering" the service no more than they are offering Skype video calls. Apple's app will take advantage of existing 3G data.

post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

This is madness. Sprint is not "offering" the service no more than they are offering Skype video calls. Apple's app will take advantage of existing 3G data.

Actually this is apparently another service that's going to have an associated fee, probably. If not directly, then indirectly, through the carriers. How is Apple's "app" going to take care of this?

I seem to remember, short term memory, that apple keeps trying to work with carriers on this. They have to WORK with the carriers to allow this. Sprint is giving the 'go ahead' so to speak. Against the grain. So why is Sprints profit move "madness"?
post #17 of 22
Bravo!
post #18 of 22

I never liked AT&T.  I will probably leave them for Sprint this fall after the new iPhone is released and if there's LTE in my area.

post #19 of 22

If Sprint truly wants a piece of the pie, hopefully they have and will continue to invest in the infrastructure to deliver bandwidth to their current and future customers.  Otherwise, this is just lip service to give the illusion of choice when alternatives simply suck ass...

post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Go Sprint!! Verizon and AT&T will look stupid now if they charge for it.

 

I HAAAAAAAAATE AT&T... their service is practically non-existant in the city. Why the hell would I pay extra for this when I can't even use my 3G data in Chicago, ... at.... all... EVER...

 

Seriously, I've been using Edge for about a year now because every single time i switch to 3g, it never works. bogus. even went to apple, and they were like "it's at&t's shitty network, not the phone." I'm either doing Verizon or Sprint once the new phone drops.

Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
post #21 of 22
Ummmm NO! Apple chose AT&T because the other carriers would not bite! I have no problem with Sprint service... yes I live in a metro Denver so I have very good coverage. The speed is not great but I don't watch movies or TV on my iphone so I have no problems with the slower speeds. Actually I've never noticed it being "slow". The cost is the main benefit! I have 5 iPhone 4s's in my family with unlimited voice, data and text (my daughter is regularly over 10,000 texts per month) and only pay $235/month for all five. Can't come close to this with either Verizon or AT&T. KRR
post #22 of 22
It's just data to the carriers! No different then anything else just a higher bandwidth requirement. The carriers done't supply anything additional for face time except the data bandwidth. That's why the carriers have balked at it in the past. There is no special "service" needed. They would like you to think so, so you will pay through the nose for nothing (kind of like texts). KRR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Sprint to offer free FaceTime over wireless