or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft has no plans to release Office for Mac 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft has no plans to release Office for Mac 2013

post #1 of 108
Thread Starter 
When Microsoft recently announced an Office for Mac 2011 update was in the works it also confirmed that OS X users would not be able to take advantage of the newer Office 2013 as the software suite is reserved for Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines only.

Microsoft failed to mention whether a Mac version of Office 2013 was in the works when the productivity software reached Customer Preview phase on Monday, though during Wednesday's Office for Mac 2011 update announcement the company told The Verge it had no such plans.

"We haven?t announced the next release of Office for Mac," a Microsoft spokesperson said.

According to the publication, Office 2013 will feature support for a new server-based version of Office which is said to be highly integrated with the cloud. Microsoft released the Service Pack 2 update to Office for Mac 2011 in April to fix bugs affecting Outlook.

While Mac owners won't be able to enjoy the newly-implemented cloud capabilites of Office 2013, the Office for Mac 2011 update will bring access to Microsoft's SkyDrive and Office 365 where users are able to save documents off-site.

Office for Mac
Source: Microsoft


The Office for Mac 2011 update is expected to ship early next year alongside the Windows-only Office 2013.
post #2 of 108

At this rate, Apple has no plans to release iWork 2013 either.

 

(And as has been pointed out in numerous comment threads elsewhere, Office for Mac typically comes out one year after each Office for Windows. So no surprise here.)

post #3 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When Microsoft recently announced an Office for Mac 2011 update was in the works it also confirmed that OS X users would NOT be able to take advantage of the newer Office 2013 as the software suite is reserved for Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines only.

 

There, I corrected it.

post #4 of 108

Sounds like Microsoft is saying "Dear Mac users, please find a way to use this software for free or please go buy the iWork suite from Apple" Honestly, I don't think I'd be missing anything major if I didn't have Office on my home computer and iWork is much cheaper.

post #5 of 108

Because Mac releases of Office have never had the same year as the Windows release. Now if you had asked them when Office for Mac 2014 is coming out, PR might have given a slightly different answer.

post #6 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

There, I corrected it.

You beat me to it haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Because Mac releases of Office have never had the same year as the Windows release. Now if you had asked them when Office for Mac 2014 is coming out, PR might have given a slightly different answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

At this rate, Apple has no plans to release iWork 2013 either.

(And as has been pointed out in numerous comment threads elsewhere, Office for Mac typically comes out one year after each Office for Windows. So no surprise here.)

Yup Office for Mac always comes out a year late. And by the way this isn't the first time MS decided to can Office for Mac and then a few months later come out with a new version anyway
post #7 of 108

From the lead: "OS X users would NOT be able to take advantage of the newer Office 2013"

 

It drives me crazy when this site gets stories exactly wrong because of inept (or absent) editing.  Jeez. Every time I see an error like this i wonder what else is wrong in the story, or in the site's other stories.

post #8 of 108

They need to fix the bug that causes corruption when "auto-save recovery file" is enabled on Lion.

post #9 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Because Mac releases of Office have never had the same year as the Windows release. Now if you had asked them when Office for Mac 2014 is coming out, PR might have given a slightly different answer.

 

Exactly. The Mac Version usually comes out the year after the Windows version, or at least it has the last few releases so hopefully they won't change it now.

 

I just wish Apple would be more open about what's happening to iWork. Is it dead or are they finally going to release a new version?

post #10 of 108

Great, because I have no plans to buy Office 2013.

post #11 of 108

It will be Office 14 via the Mac App Store and iOS.

post #12 of 108

Windows on Bootcamp will be required.

Newer versions of Parallel Desktop enables one to

use the Bootcamp installation instaead of a new

image.  And Windows icons can be placed on Mac's

desktiop.

post #13 of 108

I understand that iWork probably can't break into the enterprise market.  However, since Apple is making a product, why don't they make it suitable for business.  It just seems odd to me that Apple would purposely keep selling an inferior product.  It isn't that iWork is a bad product...it is an incomplete product.  Why won't Apple finish it off?  Give us features like reviewing and compare documents and better paragraph numbering...etc.  

They've got 100 billion dollars, why not spend 10 million on office software?

post #14 of 108
MS usually releases a Mac version 12-24 months later.

Of course, they might not anymore.
post #15 of 108

As long as Pages can open Word docs I'm good. I don't ever need the formatting, just the text. Numbers, on the other hand, sometimes cannot faithfully reproduce Excel files if they contain unsupported functions. That has already become a problem for us. We have a file that needs to be edited 4 times a year which breaks if you export it with Numbers so we have to do it on Windows. I hope Microsoft doesn't try to intentionally break stuff for iWork by leveraging their Office monopoly to support their Windows and tablet sales. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #16 of 108

So, back to running Office via Parallels again.

 

Maybe.

 

Perhaps I'm just a curmudgeonly dinosaur, but I seriously hate the ribbon-based UI. Worse, it's been quite a few years since MS added anything new to any part of Office that I considered to be a positive feature. For me, Windows XP and Office 2003 running in Parallels gets the job done. I might just decide to revert back rather than go with MS's latest "upgrade".

post #17 of 108

I'd rather they worked on an iOS version right now anyways. Office 2011 for Mac is fine. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #18 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Sounds like Microsoft is saying "Dear Mac users, please find a way to use this software for free or please go buy the iWork suite from Apple" Honestly, I don't think I'd be missing anything major if I didn't have Office on my home computer and iWork is much cheaper.

 

Seriously?

 

You take "We have no announcements about the next version of Office for Mac" to mean "Please begin torrenting Office 2011 for Mac or buy iWork"?

post #19 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

I understand that iWork probably can't break into the enterprise market.  However, since Apple is making a product, why don't they make it suitable for business.  It just seems odd to me that Apple would purposely keep selling an inferior product.  It isn't that iWork is a bad product...it is an incomplete product.  Why won't Apple finish it off?  Give us features like reviewing and compare documents and better paragraph numbering...etc.  

They've got 100 billion dollars, why not spend 10 million on office software?

 

 

I believe they think of it as personal software, rather than “incomplete” enterprise software. And for most personal/home/small-office users (albeit not must techie forum-goers), iWork is made much better by its very simplicity. Apple wouldn’t make iWork “worse” in the market it was meant for, jut to serve additional markets; they’ll just leave those markets to 3rd party software, be that Word or Word clones.

 

I agree that there IS a need for more, for a sizable niche of people; I’m just not surprised that Apple hasn’t tried to shoehorn iWork in that direction. (That said, it will still grow over time.)

 

As for me—not an everyday user who should get iWork—OpenOffice does me just fine!

post #20 of 108
Double.
post #21 of 108

Ok.

post #22 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When Microsoft recently announced an Office for Mac 2011 update was in the works it also confirmed that OS X users would be able to take advantage of the newer Office 2013 as the software suite is reserved for Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines only.

[...]

The Office for Mac 2011 update is expected to ship early next year alongside the Windows-only Office 2013.

well thank buddha.  i've been waiting forever for an upgrade, 

 

oh ... huh ... what?  the dumbasses at appleinsider can't be bothered to proof and edit their own copy and get it right? check. 

"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #23 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'd rather they worked on an iOS version right now anyways. Office 2011 for Mac is fine. 

I agree. I am not sure what the heck I get out of their updates anyway, to tell you the truth.

post #24 of 108

Do we even need an Office 2013 for Mac? I mean how much more can you cram into an already bloated product whose myriad features go unused by the vast majority of human beings using it?

post #25 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

I understand that iWork probably can't break into the enterprise market.  However, since Apple is making a product, why don't they make it suitable for business.  It just seems odd to me that Apple would purposely keep selling an inferior product.  It isn't that iWork is a bad product...it is an incomplete product.  Why won't Apple finish it off?  Give us features like reviewing and compare documents and better paragraph numbering...etc.  

They've got 100 billion dollars, why not spend 10 million on office software?

Actually it's easy to work out the answer to that question because you answered it yourself.

 

Apple isn't aiming at businesses they aim for consumers. When you look at the needs for most consumers iWork is head and shoulders above Office. Why do I say that? Because unlike Office iWork is a very easy to use application. Unlike business users however most consumer's needs for office apps is basic. Office is too complex for most people's needs and so Apple gave what most consumers need... simplicity.

 

iWork isn't aimed at you... it's aimed at everyone else. If you need power you go to Office. If you just want to record data, write a document, make presentation with a degree of power but not all the tools that you'll never need iWork is perfect.

 

Apple doesn't care about business users because business users don't make them money. Go where the money is.

post #26 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Actually it's easy to work out the answer to that question because you answered it yourself.

Apple isn't aiming at businesses they aim for consumers. When you look at the needs for most consumers iWork is head and shoulders above Office. Why do I say that? Because unlike Office iWork is a very easy to use application. Unlike business users however most consumer's needs for office apps is basic. Office is too complex for most people's needs and so Apple gave what most consumers need... simplicity.

iWork isn't aimed at you... it's aimed at everyone else. If you need power you go to Office. If you just want to record data, write a document, make presentation with a degree of power but not all the tools that you'll never need iWork is perfect.

Apple doesn't care about business users because business users don't make them money. Go where the money is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

I understand that iWork probably can't break into the enterprise market.  However, since Apple is making a product, why don't they make it suitable for business.  It just seems odd to me that Apple would purposely keep selling an inferior product.  It isn't that iWork is a bad product...it is an incomplete product.  Why won't Apple finish it off?  Give us features like reviewing and compare documents and better paragraph numbering...etc.  
They've got 100 billion dollars, why not spend 10 million on office software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post


I believe they think of it as personal software, rather than “incomplete” enterprise software. And for most personal/home/small-office users (albeit not must techie forum-goers), iWork is made much better by its very simplicity. Apple wouldn’t make iWork “worse” in the market it was meant for, jut to serve additional markets; they’ll just leave those markets to 3rd party software, be that Word or Word clones.



 



I agree that there IS a need for more, for a sizable niche of people; I’m just not surprised that Apple hasn’t tried to shoehorn iWork in that direction. (That said, it will still grow over time.)



 



As for me—not an everyday user who should get iWork—OpenOffice does me just fine!



iWork has improved a lot over the years to the point where it is sufficient for most.

You know what would be an interesting idea? Apple making a Windows compatible version of iWork and promoting it as an easy to use creative office suite for all. Fight MS on their own turf and see what happens especially if they price it the same as the Mac version (ie far cheaper than MS Office).
post #27 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree. I am not sure what the heck I get out of their updates anyway, to tell you the truth.

 

I believe Microsoft would sell a shitload of copies of Office for iOS. They'd be stupid not to release it. I work for a school and get asked constantly when/if Word and Excel for iPad will be released. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #28 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Do we even need an Office 2013 for Mac? I mean how much more can you cram into an already bloated product whose myriad features go unused by the vast majority of human beings using it?

I don't know if we need Office 2013 for Mac, but we do need some version of Office on the Mac to be feature complete - I mean, Outlook still doesn't have feature parity with dearly departed Entourage.

 

 

 

Quote:
They've got 100 billion dollars, why not spend 10 million on office software?

This also galls me - the amount of cash they're sitting on and they can't even pony-up to keep advancing the software products they've already got out there.  iWork is languishing...Final Cut Pro X anyone?...and when was the last substantial update to Aperture?  (No, don't tell me iCloud photo streams represent any real advancement of the feature set.)

post #29 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Because Mac releases of Office have never had the same year as the Windows release. Now if you had asked them when Office for Mac 2014 is coming out, PR might have given a slightly different answer.

 

Precisely. This is a non-story. They haven't discontinued Office for Mac. It's just that the versions aren't in lock-step.

post #30 of 108
In other news Mac OS X will not be getting IE10.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #31 of 108

This is a bizarre thread, and it wasn't started by a newbie.

 

Nobody was ever expecting Office for Mac 2013. And has been pointed out many times over, the Mac version is due in 2014.

 

It's an iWork upgrade we're all waiting on.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #32 of 108

Microsoft should just drop the product for the Mac.  How many copies do they sell anyway to such a small PC market?  Microsoft is trying to do too much.  Dropping some software would allow them to focus their efforts.
 

post #33 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post


I believe they think of it as personal software, rather than “incomplete” enterprise software. And for most personal/home/small-office users (albeit not must techie forum-goers), iWork is made much better by its very simplicity.

An interesting thought, but iWorks weakest link (Numbers) wouldn't end up significantly more complex with added functions.
Quote:
Apple wouldn’t make iWork “worse” in the market it was meant for, jut to serve additional markets; they’ll just leave those markets to 3rd party software, be that Word or Word clones.
There is a difference between useful features and bloat. In that regards Numbers could use more features. Here is a list that pops into my head from time to time:
  1. Really good scientific plotting and charting that works well. Numbers and Excel for that matter are terrible in this regard.
  2. A function to export tables as HTML. Whole spread sheets could go that way but I'd prefer to be able to select a range of cells and export those cells as an HTML file. In my case I'd like to just have the data put into the tables but I could see value in embedding the formulas as JavaScript functions.
  3. More support for science and engineering. Everything from more functions to more choices in formatting numbers.
  4. A scripting language based on Python or at least Python like. Whatever is offered up it should have solid support for communicating with the rest of the world. That is it should not be difficult to communicate with instrumentation over RS232, Ethernet or whatever Mac supported protocol you might want to use. About the only thing I don't like about Python is the lack of braces or other block indemnification characters.
  5. Integration with SQLlite. Traditional spreadsheet data handling has its limits of usefulness, functions to access, build and modify SQLlite databases would be very useful.
Quote:

 



I agree that there IS a need for more, for a sizable niche of people; I’m just not surprised that Apple hasn’t tried to shoehorn iWork in that direction. (That said, it will still grow over time.)

I'm surprised at how little has been done with iWork. Pages and Keynote are pretty good already, it really is Numbers that lacks impact.
Quote:

 



As for me—not an everyday user who should get iWork—OpenOffice does me just fine!



Interesting I tried one of the OpenOffice variants a few years ago. Honestly I hated it, it actually motivated me to buy iWorks.
post #34 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanExtremists View Post

Microsoft should just drop the product for the Mac.  How many copies do they sell anyway to such a small PC market?  Microsoft is trying to do too much.  Dropping some software would allow them to focus their efforts.

1) I'm not sure what you are calling small since Mac unit share and installed base has never been higher. The only factor that matters is if the effort expended can net them a profit. Since it could when Apple had a much, much smaller number of units sold per quarter and smaller installed base I assume that the development isn't costlier to the point that it wouldn't yield them even more profit than before.

2) You say they are doing to the much the way some posters make comment about how Apple's lawyers should get back to designing HW or coding SW or whatever other odd association they have with the number of employees and their respective roles. The fact is MS has developers that specifically work on Macs creating software for the Mac. Apple does this with Windows for their Safari, iTunes, QuickTime, Bootcamp drivers, etc. The team working on the iCloud Control Panel for Windows isn't also working on iPhoto for iOS.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #35 of 108
Bring back VisiCalc for that Mac and iOS.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #36 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanExtremists View Post

Microsoft should just drop the product for the Mac.  How many copies do they sell anyway to such a small PC market?  Microsoft is trying to do too much.  Dropping some software would allow them to focus their efforts.

They have around 200 people working in their Mac Office division so that might be an indication that they do make a profit. But I agree that MS has a habit of trying to be in every market while focus could be a better strategy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Because Mac releases of Office have never had the same year as the Windows release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Exactly. The Mac Version usually comes out the year after the Windows version, or at least it has the last few releases so hopefully they won't change it now.

I just wish Apple would be more open about what's happening to iWork. Is it dead or are they finally going to release a new version?

These version numbers don't mean anything. And the release cycle is, well, weird. They never had a version of Excel for Windows until 2.05 which was two years after the Mac version.

A new version of iWork would be great but I think Apple is all about simplicity and therefore simply don't want to add too much options to their office suite. Look at Aperture, apart from a few dot release updates, cosmic changes it is still the same version number 3, from Feb 2010. Now that could use additional options!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Do we even need an Office 2013 for Mac? I mean how much more can you cram into an already bloated product whose myriad features go unused by the vast majority of human beings using it?

Fully agree. But if they remove that ribbon I'll might want to upgrade. Although I hardly (need to) use it anyway. I send out pdf's anyway.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #37 of 108
post #38 of 108

I don't give a fish if they don't come up with 2014 or 2015 version..........Windows don't be a cock for no reason.

Exclusive to only Windows 7 and 8. So? Do I care? No.

I am happy with 2011 which works well for me for the next few years to come.

 

I won't die if you never have Microsoft Office in the first place. We have iWorks to standby on.

You are still relying on us to buy your softwares still. You will never manufacture a software and market it if there is no market. So, again don't come up with all those cock and bull story.

Don't forget, we still have Parellels which we can install Windows 7 and 8 and add on Microsoft Office 2013 easily. So we have a way to get around but you don't.


Edited by Chairman Mao - 7/18/12 at 9:39pm
post #39 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mao View Post

I don't give a fish if they don't come up with 2014 or 2015 version..........Windows don't be a cock for no reason.

Exclusive to only Windows 7 and 8. So? Do I care? No.

I am happy with 2011 which works well for me for the next few years to come.

 

I won't die if you never have Microsoft Office in the first place. We have iWorks to standby on.

You are still relying on us to buy your softwares still. You will never manufacture a software and market it if there is no market. So, again don't come up with all those bull and cock story.

Don't forget, we still have Parellels which we can install Windows 7 and 8 and add on Microsoft Office 2013 easily. So we have a way to get around but you don't.


you had me right up until the shitty english parts.

"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #40 of 108
Quote:

Those apps can also be filed under: Problem created.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft has no plans to release Office for Mac 2013