or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's Retina display iPad driving enterprise adoption

Apple's Retina display iPad driving enterprise adoption

post #1 of 38
Since the launch of the third-generation iPad with Retina display in March, Apple has seen adoption amongst business users increase significantly, according to a new study.

The data comes from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners, which provided AppleInsider with a copy of its latest report on Thursday. The firm's proprietary research found that iPad sales to business users have picked up since the iPad with Retina display debuted.

Among buyers of the latest iPad model, 21 percent indicated they are more likely to use the touchscreen tablet for business. That compares to just 13 percent of iPad users across all models who said they would use their iPad for business.

Leisure use is still the most dominant way people interact with their iPads, but the data shows that business use for Apple's tablet is increasing. CIRP's data found that business use saw the single largest increase of any category

In fact, only social networking use saw a substantial increase, from 11 to 16 percent, thanks to the launch of the new iPad. Other usage categories, like Internet, entertainment, e-mail, education, reading and apps, were largely unchanged by the debut of the third-generation iPad.

The research also concluded that devoted Apple product owners are more likely to find ways to use their iPad for business, but less likely to play games.. CIRP identified Apple devotees as customers who own an Apple TV, and AirPort Wi-Fi Router, or a Time Capsule.

In addition, the study found that customers who buy an iPad with more storage are more likely to use the device for "more serious purposes," such as business. But while there was a correlation with capacity, those differences did not exist when comparing Wi-Fi-only iPad to users to those with 3G or 4G LTE connectivity.
post #2 of 38
So when will the doubters stop calling it "just a toy"?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 38

No stylus ... no keyboard ... Apple is doomed ...

post #4 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Never? Haters gotta hate.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 38

Love my iPad- in fact, I don't think I will ever buy a laptop again. My next Mac purchase will be a tower for sure. iPad is the ultra portable!

post #6 of 38
Just one problem - none of the differences look terribly significant. Unless they sampled a fairly large number, most of the differences are below the error margins.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The firm's proprietary research found that iPad sales to business users have picked up since the iPad with Retina display debuted.

I haven't read the report, but it seems to me that the uptick in business adoption could be a result of the sense that the iPad was the only major player in the game. After the Retina iPad came out it quickly became clear that the tablet market was split between Apple and mostly e-readers like the Kindle or the Nook.

From a platform stability point of view (very important to businesses) Apple was looking to be the only option... I'm sure MS and Google hope that perception is changing, I guess well see when MS releases their wiz bang two-headed tablet this fall. ...or this spring. Or definately by next summer...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

you forgot about FLASH, EXTERNAL Memory, removable battery, NFC

post #9 of 38

The company I was working for last year was experimenting with the iPad. It was a stupid thing to do because it was being used in a cold environment. It would be taken inside and outside a few times a day. That will eventually lead to failure because of condensation on the internal parts. The job it was doing was good and will work well in states that aren't so cold. The program testing was begun in the spring. Somebody wasn't thinking straight when they sent them to Montana.

post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJunior View Post

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 >>>> tired, old, boring iPad

In any case, without Steve Jobs, Apple is on the way out, so to speak.
Patent trolling only goes so far.
Let me guess,
You are between 14 and 16 years old. You just got a Galaxy Tab II as your birthday present and you like it. I say that's great! It's certainly nice that you like your present.
But I strongly advice you to not waste your time on a forum heavily dedicated to Apple products. this is really a waste of time! Why don't you checkout some android sites?
I am sure their are some reasonable ones.
post #11 of 38

I have my doubts that there is much correlation between the Retina screen and business adoption as cause for the increase. It is just that the iPad's time has come. It is not so much of a novelty now and business users have enough software to actually make use of it. It just takes longer for computing trends to make it into the enterprise environment.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #12 of 38
Quote:

What is the disadvantage of having external memory and removable batteries.

I realize you are a fanboi, but nevertheless... what is bad about giving the consumer options? If you don't like external memory you don't have to use it, right?

About the stylus. While a stylus might not be "cool" at the moment, I personally love my fingerprint-free Galaxy Note!!

Nothing more disgusting than some greasy iPad.... yuk!!

You can't accuse someone of being an Apple fanboy, then act like an Android one.

post #13 of 38
Quote:

There is nothing wrong with an SD card reader which is an option for the iPad but just for camera compatibility. The problem is that saving to or reading from an external memory card is incompatible with the iOS philosophy. To access a memory card in an unrestricted way would require a user accessible file system and could potentially open up a security loop hole so the iPad is better off using the network to back up.

With respect to batteries; consumers should not get anywhere close to the types of batteries an iPad uses. That is far too dangerous. Batteries that would be safe for consumers to replace would make the device more than twice as thick and quite bit heavier than it currently is. 10 hours is plenty of time for 99% of typical users. The other 1% who need 11 hours will have to find another solution.

post #14 of 38

Time Capsule is awesome with my Mac, but it really needs to back up iPads as well. iCloud is terrific for that purpose, but I want local backups too, and I recommend the same to anyone. Time Capsule would be perfect: one less reason to tie your iPad to a Mac or PC.

post #15 of 38
Quote:
Quote:

Sadly, you are wrong on all accounts.
I just think my Tab 2 looks more "modern" than my mother's iPad 2.
Plus, I cherish freedom and I am not "loyal" or "dedicated" to any company (what a weird concept!).

So what am I exactly wrong about?

The part where I said you liked your Galaxy Tab??
Or the part where I said, it's OK to like it?
Or the part where I suggested that there might be reasonable android sites?

Please enlighten us!
post #16 of 38

The problem for enterprises is that its hard to lock down the ipad. If you use the configurator most options in settings can be changed after the profile is loaded. The only thing that can be truly locked down is installing and deleting programs.

Apple really needs to update this in revisions.

post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with an SD card reader which is an option for the iPad but just for camera compatibility. The problem is that saving to or reading from an external memory card is incompatible with the iOS philosophy. To access a memory card in an unrestricted way would require a user accessible file system and could potentially open up a security loop hole so the iPad is better off using the network to back up.

With respect to batteries; consumers should not get anywhere close to the types of batteries an iPad uses. That is far too dangerous. Batteries that would be safe for consumers to replace would make the device more than twice as thick and quite bit heavier than it currently is. 10 hours is plenty of time for 99% of typical users. The other 1% who need 11 hours will have to find another solution.

Great post! I would love to simply tick on the Thumbs Up icon, but cannot press the Add To Reputation button afterwards because I'm on an iPad....
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

The problem for enterprises is that its hard to lock down the ipad. If you use the configurator most options in settings can be changed after the profile is loaded. The only thing that can be truly locked down is installing and deleting programs.

Really? Can you give us some examples?

post #19 of 38
Quote:

I realize you are a fanboi, but nevertheless... what is bad about giving the consumer options? If you don't like external memory you don't have to use it, right?

About the stylus. While a stylus might not be "cool" at the moment, I personally love my fingerprint-free Galaxy Note!!

Does it have a retina display?
You can use a stylus with an iPad too.
And the android does not have the app store.
And talk about being a "fanboi" (an embarrassing term)
post #20 of 38
Quote:

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 >>>> tired, old, boring iPad

In any case, without Steve Jobs, Apple is on the way out, so to speak.

Patent trolling only goes so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Let me guess,
You are between 14 and 16 years old. You just got a Galaxy Tab II as your birthday present and you like it.

If you google Super Junior, you might get a hint to where this poster's allegiance lies. lol.gif  The name probably misled you.

post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

If you google Super Junior, you might get a hint to where this poster's allegiance lies. lol.gif  The name probably misled you.

LOL lol.gif

post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Love my iPad- in fact, I don't think I will ever buy a laptop again. My next Mac purchase will be a tower for sure. iPad is the ultra portable!

Totally with you... My iPad 2 is used so much by all my family including my 2 year old!
Still love my G5 tower though for iDVD etc

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

If you google Super Junior, you might get a hint to where this poster's allegiance lies. lol.gif   The name probably misled you.

To borrow from Nissan... Simply Awesome.
post #24 of 38

avoiding the super junior thread... (do not... feed... the... trolls.)

This appears to be the normal curve for business adoption.  I don't think RD has anything to do with it other than it being part of the 3rd release cycle, or 2 years after product launch.

Businesses had to

a) have catalytic drivers (CEO walking in with an iPad and saying... "Make this work for me on our WiFi")

b) fulfill a business job not being done by a laptop today... highly mobile, highly visual/graphical-depth applications.

c) Determine TCO and impact on facilities.

Those latter 2 are critical...  if your CEO had an iPad 1 one day one... it would take a business 6 months to find a 'job' for it, beyond being a bigger iPhone/BlackBerry, or PDF viewer/web surfer... then you would need 6 months to pilot the thing (write the app, change the process, evaluate/compare), until you ask IT to support it.

then it would take at least a year for IT (budget cycle) to 

1) deny they can't support it.

2) determine how to integrate it into infrastructure (AD, Exchange, backups, VPN, etc)

3) 'secure it'  (AV/AM, 2FA, DLP etc)

4) manage it (configuration management, policy enforcement)

5) procure solutions for 2,3,4  (all pretty much the same solution;-)

To do those 5 things, takes a Microsoft/Cisco shop a year to do... More if you have Gov't/GLBA/PCI, or other regulatory requirements (try to use a PIV card with an iPad... not easy)

When all said and done... As the iPadRD was released, business was 'ready' for the iPad.  It's not RD, it's not the processor... it just takes... time.

post #25 of 38
Quote:

It's really hard to lock down a PC too.  Your point?

do you have an issue with AirWatch?  Seems to work for my corporate needs.

post #26 of 38
Quote:

Let's list just a few of the problems:

1. Extra points of failure
2. Place for dirt and grime to get inside the unit
3. Extra tech support costs when people have problems getting their crappy third party batteries or SD to work
4. Adding removable batter and SD requires extra reinforcements which make the unit heavier and larger
5. Added cost of manufacture

Is that enough for you?

It really amazes me how people will be happy with a device that has 100 extra features all clumsily bolted on rather than a device that was designed properly in the first place.
Quote:

True, but you can't do anything about all the problems above.
Quote:

I have a better idea. Wash the cheetohs off your fingers once in a while.

My iPad and iPhone are never greasy. If they start to get a few fingerprints, a quick wipe against my jeans or shirt and they're as good as new. Apple has a special coating to reduce the problem instead of using a stylus which gets lost and is clumsy to use.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I'm leaning the same way and hoping there is a revolutionary new Mac Pro next year or sooner.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

you forgot about FLASH, EXTERNAL Memory, removable battery, NFC

And the Nexus 7 will take over the iPad's market share overnight, just like the Fire did. 

post #29 of 38
Quote:

Mind telling us why you are here again. Your post history tells a tale of Apple hatred and disgust with every product they make. Are you here then to keep us Apple fans from deluding ourselves any further than we already have? Are you here to save us from the clutches of the Walled Garden? Is this your mission in life?

post #30 of 38
Quote:

The data as outlined is not what the headline implies. It says that consumers say they will use them for business, thats not the same as enterprise IT adoption. They are basically saying that they intend to, for example, check work email from the device.  

An employee buying something and taking it to work doesnt mean that the enterprise is adopting it...a CIO signing a rec for a few hundred for a pilot may be enterprise adoption, but not some random employee buying one and using it "for work"

You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Really? Can you give us some examples?

Sure, I am a network admin at a library. I was trying to lock down our ipad2 so that the kids cant change anything since we wanted to loan it out in the building. Some settings specified in a profile can still be changed by that user. One of these settings is the wifi ssid. You can specifiy it in the profile but the user can just go in and change it in settings. Some other settings are just like that. Whats the point of the profiles if the user can just go into settings and change it?

This was using the iphone configuration utility and the other utility apple has for configuring multiple ipads.

post #32 of 38
Quote:

Plus, I cherish freedom and I am not "loyal" or "dedicated" to any company (what a weird concept!).

http://changewaveresearch.com/reports/2012/tablets-20120604

I don't see any point in you passing your anecdotes off as fact or as a reflection of the market. 

Tablets without an Apple logo on them aren't just junk, they're barely in the game. 

As usual, Mom knows best. 

post #33 of 38
Quote:

Ah-yup ...

Quote:
"They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool," Judge Birss said. "The overall impression produced is different."

Cheers

post #34 of 38
Quote:

Sure, I am a network admin at a library. I was trying to lock down our ipad2 so that the kids cant change anything since we wanted to loan it out in the building. Some settings specified in a profile can still be changed by that user. One of these settings is the wifi ssid. You can specifiy it in the profile but the user can just go in and change it in settings. Some other settings are just like that. Whats the point of the profiles if the user can just go into settings and change it?

This was using the iphone configuration utility and the other utility apple has for configuring multiple ipads.

This seems to be addressed in iOS 6...

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/#accessibility
post #35 of 38

Guys, c'mon. You know better to answer a juvenile troll who is obviously looking to pick fights and rehash old tired arguments.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #36 of 38
Quote:

Guys, c'mon. You know better to answer a juvenile troll who is obviously looking to pick fights and rehash old tired arguments.

I am a seeker of justice and truth, even if it means getting it out of a juvenile south Korean boy band enthusiast.
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

As usual, Mom knows best. 

Among the hundreds of interesting comments you post, this is one of the best!!

post #38 of 38
Quote:

And its greasy stylus!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's Retina display iPad driving enterprise adoption