or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Smart TV makers forming alliances out of fear Apple will soon dominate their industry too
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smart TV makers forming alliances out of fear Apple will soon dominate their industry too - Page 2

post #41 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post

Very true, and the way they look at it is once the customer buys the TV, they have made their money and it is time to move on to the next sale. There is no support after the fact of regular updates or bug fixes or anything like that. Where Apple would be committed to pushing out firmware and bug fixes if issues arise... I believe they would treat it more like another computer than just another typical TV.

Also, concerning the margins issue people always bring up. We all know that Apple can charge more for their products, and they do so for a good reason. That is because they are always higher quality, they have the supply chain relationships to get cheaper parts, and they know we will buy them (at least I will). This, along with the revenue from the content deals they will be selling through the set, puts them in a unique position to possibly make a good profit in the TV market.

That's not exactly true. I recently purchased a Panasonic plasma and have since received one update. So it looks like at least Panasonic is getting on the ball instead of getting run over by it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #42 of 161
It might be ridiculous for Apple to get into the TV business but couldn't the same be said about PC's? I remember Bill Gates once saying the PC would be nothing more than a low margin commodity business. Apple certainly proved that wrong. Apple likes to control the whole experience. Right now Apple TV is a hobby but if they get more serious about it I can't see them bringing something to the market that you'd use on someone else hardware. If for no other reason when you're staring at the screen they'd rather have you see an Apple logo than Samsung or LG.

My guess is the TV space will continue to be a hobby (I can't imagine they're making much $$ off the $99 black box) but if it's not and they do get more serious about it they very well could sell their own TV. Tim Cook has been pretty coy about their TV plans but has been clear that they're not looking to make much $$ off content as its the hardware where they make their profit.
post #43 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Collusion with the stated intent of thwarting competition.  What could go wrong?

 

I am not sure Apple plans to make a TV anyway.  They plan to change the entire industry.

 

Like Apple did with Music and Amazon did with books.  It is not all about, or even primarily about the device.

 

Agreed.  Apple doesn't care about the TV, it cares about the value chain.

 

Producers

Studios

Syndicators

Networks

Delivery (local media, Cable, Satellite, Internet, Torrenters)

Consumer.

 

What does the consumer want?   They want to ala carte a bunch of movies and TV series into 'MyPersonalMediaChannels' (MyTV is tmed by someone).  What is that... Sort of like the new PodCast plus Genius ("You like 'BreakingBad and Kill Bill Pt3?   you may like....")

 

It's less about the TV, and more about the content bundling.   an iOS device (or a new Mac App to replace iTunes) to manage it, the cloud to capture and deliver it, and the appleID account to pay for it. at $1.99-$3.99 per hour.  (with Movies being 8-10/hour...and cable running $80/month ($1/hour?), this is a pretty good in the ball park pricing.

 

The kicker is 'Live TV'  People want to watch it at moment of delivery and/or DVR it....  How does Apple do that?  (an antenna connection to an AppleTV box with Channel management DVR capabilities?) 

 

Bottom line... It's all about the content.  If Apple can get Disney (best friend in the business) to swing a deal, then the others may follow... But in the end, it's all about cutting out either Cable providers and/or networks.    If Apple can do to video media what they did to music, the whole world will be set on it's ear.

post #44 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxSampleXX View Post


Don't get me wrong, I'm interested to see what they come up with.  But there is very little margin on the hardware side of television and I have a hard time conjuring up TV hardware that would be so superior to what I have that I'd pay a premium for it.  But as you point out, they've pulled it off before.
I'd love it if Apple could create something that got rid of most of the junk behind my entertainment center. Right now it's a complete mess of cables and cords all collecting dust. I'd pay a premium for that.
post #45 of 161

You can already buy voice and motion controlled smart TVs today from some very well respected TV manufacturers. It will be interesting to see how Apple differentiates their Apple TV offering. It's not like the iPhone or iPad were there wasn't any real competition because Apple was ahead of the curve, unless of course they come up with something totally ground breaking.


Edited by Shaun, UK - 7/20/12 at 9:52am
post #46 of 161

"The sources said the alliances are also forming as Apple is preparing to release a smart TV. Due to Apple's influence in the market, the sources fear it will further dominate the smart TV market, which is estimated to reach a 40% penetration rate by 2014."

 

And why are we supposed to believe that? Smart TVs have been on the cusp of acceptance for more than a decade. WebTV anyone? Smart TVs aren't getting any traction. People keep predicting success, on the theory that people will only remember that one time they were right and not the dozens of times they were wrong.

post #47 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


The Apple automobile
The Apple personal water craft
The Apple biplane
The Apple space shuttle
The Apple sex doll
The Apple fashion accessories
The Apple living room sofa
There's no end to the kind of silly rumors that people could start.

 

 

Well again, the road map is pretty clear, and obvious : Star Trek !

 

(research going on for the HoloSuite, at the moment)

 

Again, look at Star trek (Image In the Sand iPad ) :

 

 

700

post #48 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


That's not exactly true. I recently purchased a Panasonic plasma and have since received one update. So it looks like at least Panasonic is getting on the ball instead of getting run over by it.

 

There are some companies out there providing this type of support in a very limited fashion. Their problem is that they have MANY product lines and it would be, and is, very difficult for them to keep up with every product they release.

I'm thinking an Apple TV line would be similar to the iPhone strategy where they are all the same except for the choice in capacity, but with the TV you would have the choice in screen size instead.

post #49 of 161
People claiming that Smart TVs don't sale must have overlooked the 25 millions (out of 50) that Samsung (sorry) is set to sale this year alone... Speaking of 'mult-year head start on the competition' (sic) over vaporware projections coming out of thin air, that's rich... For now I will stick with the actual numbers...
post #50 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


The Apple automobile
The Apple personal water craft
The Apple biplane
The Apple space shuttle
The Apple sex doll
The Apple fashion accessories
The Apple living room sofa
There's no end to the kind of silly rumors that people could start.

 

Pretty sure they have that, its called the iPhone.

post #51 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Apple gets 30% of all transactions. As it's their standard contract, no one can do squat about it.

 

Apple singlehandedly pays off the entirety of the national debt less than a year later. That's WITH the Medicare stuff they never report (the hundred trillion we actually owe).

 

Apple gets 30% from the seller of the stuff...

 

Add banking... Apple can also get another 1-3% from the merchant if they become the funding clearing house (Visa).   And/or they can issue an 'Apple Card' and front you the money at 12%APR  interest (better than the 1% they are getting now on their idle cash).   'Apple Finance' now takes say $25Billion of their cash reserves and loans you the money as well for your NFC, iTMS, AppStore, Passbook purchases.

 

If they earn 10% APR on that $25Billion... plus the 1-3% bypassing Visa for big players (Ticket Master, Starbucks, whatever is in China, Europe) that's 2.5-3B a year.  better than what they are getting now with that money.

post #52 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post
Pretty sure they have that, its called the iPhone.

 

1000

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #53 of 161

The TV is for watching.

 

Not navigating.

 

It doesnt matter whether someone has "cracked" the UI.
 

Most of the time the viewer is watching the programs rather than navigating to get to the content itself.

 

Therefore, the bigger importance is the picture quality and the set design rather than the UI.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #54 of 161

Talking of the occasional company failure... the 1994 QuickTake series of digital cameras were none-too successful for Apple with only a three-year production run... but it could be a sector for Apple to revisit (with their undoubted "halo effect") for a mid-to-high-end camera developed with their superb technology and cool design team. Nothing out-and-out professional (heavy and tough), nor soccer-mom (compact with a wide-range zoom), but a DSLR with a useful range of lenses appealing to the advanced amateur / semi-pro user. Strangely, Samsung created a "different looking" DSLR, starting with their NX10, a couple of years ago - which would not be confused by lawyers at ten paces with any other DSLR camera on the market - and which should have done much better than sales show... however neither does their publicity machine appear to want to promote it, nor major retailers stock it. Pity really, it's a product with many positive reviews.
 

post #55 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post
Therefore, the bigger importance is the picture quality and the set design rather than the UI.

 

Those are the two least important aspects of any change to television.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #56 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Collusion with the stated intent of thwarting competition.  What could go wrong?

 

I guess the DoJ will be all over this, any second now.

post #57 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Those are the two least important aspects of any change to television.


Right, because after the advent of the interactive menu system on newer TV's, people jumped into the HDTV realm.

 

I'm sorry to say that you are wrong on this one.

 

People switched in mass to HDTV due to PICTURE QUALITY improvement.

 

That was and is there biggest reason (followed by picture size) in changing their television.

 

The only people willing to make the switch will be those who are four legged, white furs used for textiles industry and make the sound "meeh" over and over again.

 

 

 

Regarding, AI's misleading title, the only major television manufacturer who formed this "alliance" was LG.

 

The title should read, LG forms TV alliance, not "TV makers" with a plural.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #58 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I was thinking about that last night....

Actually, it's likely the payment card industry.   The ultimate smart card is a smart phone.  PIN enabled, Internet connected.  If Apple can disintermediate the cards and go right to the banks... Apple disintermediates PayPal, Amazon, Visa and Mastercard.  gets their 'float' and say, half of the 2-3% per purchase the Payment cards charge the 'merchants' and sends the other half to the banks.... With the advent of passbook and NFC, big money.

It's a pretty simple app to generate a 'single use' credit card number for purchases which points to your AppleID iTunes account.   Apple then goes right to the bank with nightly debits to your bank account, manages a line of credit for you...

In a couple years, Apple will be approaching 'big bank' status with the amount of cash reserves.  If they started to offer a 'credit card' (at 11.7% interest)... that's a pretty good rate of return on that idle cash.

I totally agree.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #59 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

8793

 

 

EDIT: Uh… hello? Huddler? Animated GIF? So… animate it… 

 

EDIT: Ugh… Do I like that the new editor works with Safari 6 again? Sure. Would I trade all of those features away to have the old image uploader back? The one that actually works? …Maybe.

When you upload an image it creates a poster image and links it to the actual upload. If you want the actual upload in the message you need to edit the post and drag the real image into it. Kind of a hassle....

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #60 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

You can already buy voice and motion controlled smart TVs today from some very well respected TV manufacturers. It will be interesting to see how Apple differentiates their Apple TV offering. It's not like the iPhone or iPad were there wasn't any real competition because Apple was ahead of the curve, unless of course they come up with something totally ground breaking.

 

You can't name a manufacturer in your quote.  As I stated earlier... I don't think the TV will be the differentiator.  It will be how you get media to the TV.

 

At the time of the iPod they said that it was 'lame'  (/. CmdrTaco), in that the market had 'better' solutions available.

 

At the time of iTMS,  people said no one would buy music that was DRMed.

 

At the time of the iPhone, there was Nokia, Microsoft, Palm, and RIM all stating that Apple couldn't sell a smart phone.

 

At the time of the iPad, HP, Microsoft, RIM were were stating that Apple couldn't sell a 'tablet' (and they didn't).

 

Almost every time... it wasn't so much 'groundbreaking' as it was a 'compelling experience for the common person.'  My 80yo mother can use a Mac, her iPod, and her iPad.  She learned all of this after the age of 65.   Before then, she was scared of PCs, using an electric typewriter.  I don't support her anymore... my 12yo nephew is her tech support for her iPad and Mac.

 

My parents don't have cable... why... too many channels.  But they watch their news on their iPad.   I see the 'touch with finger and get' interface of the iPad making their TV life much easier.  It's balancing Boxee/NetFlix/Roku/SlingBox/ITMS together with the ability to DVR 'local/live' stuff.     Seems like a no brainer for a TV with a couple of processors and a Antenna, knowledge of your connection (Cable plan, and OTA channels), a bit of intelligence to find when shows 'start', and a couple of GB of local storage for local live, and cloud storage for 'national-live' and agreements for content for the rest.

 

Samsung ain't gonna do that.   Nor is LG, or Sony.   Because they don't _care_ about  end to end experience. 

post #61 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post
Right, because after the advent of the interactive menu system on newer TV's, people jumped into the HDTV realm.

 

People switched in mass to HDTV due to PICTURE QUALITY improvement.

 

That was and is there biggest reason (followed by picture size) in changing their television.

 

But people can't see the difference between 720 and 1080. It doesn't matter how big the TV is, and even larger qualities are useless, so that can't be it.

 

Or so I'm told.

 

I'm saying nowhere that a revamped UI will be the big draw. It's important, more so than what you've said, but less than the real reason to bother with reinventing the concept of television.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #62 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

But people can't see the difference between 720 and 1080. It doesn't matter how big the TV is, and even larger qualities are useless, so that can't be it.

 

Or so I'm told.

 

I'm saying nowhere that a revamped UI will be the big draw. It's important, more so than what you've said, but less than the real reason to bother with reinventing the concept of television.


I'm talking about the switch from SD to HD. 

 

You are comparing HD to HD.

 

720P is regarded as "HD". 1080 is "full HD". Does that mean 720 is "half HD"? lol.gif

 

Picture quality is THE most important reason people changed to HD instead of SD television. No one could care less about UI. It's a consumption device. You sit and wait and let the content feed your brain. There is hardly any interaction. Of course TV makers think otherwise in order for them to jack up prices so they can puff up their profit margins. Making all sorts of marketing jargons and scenarios where you NEED to purchase a "smart TV". I'd say its total BS.


Edited by Galbi - 7/20/12 at 10:17am

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #63 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

You can already buy voice and motion controlled smart TVs today from some very well respected TV manufacturers. It will be interesting to see how Apple differentiates their Apple TV offering. It's not like the iPhone or iPad were there wasn't any real competition because Apple was ahead of the curve, unless of course they come up with something totally ground breaking.

It's easy to say in hindsight that the iPhone didnt have any competition. The iPad I'd agree was pretty obvious.

The anology for the Apple smart TV hopefully is exactly the one you provide .... the iPhone. When it was released the market thought there already was a smart phone category, after iPhone that junk was relegated to joke status. Assuming there is such a thing coming, Apple's smart TV will be as differentiated from so called current smart TVs as an iPhone was from a Moto flip phone, of that I am certain.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #64 of 161

As many others have mentioned, why make the whole screen when the main component of differentiation is the software which fits in a small black box. The only way Apple is going to improve the user experience in television is to partner with the cable companies just like they are doing with the textbook publishers and iBooks Author. They need to redesign the cable box and make an attractive offer to the cable providers to opt in. Otherwise they will be blocked because the cable/telco companies own the fiber in the street.

 

I always thought the reason Google paid so much for Motorola was because they would get a foot in the door with the set top box industry. Again the hardware is easy, it is the software and the partnerships that take a lot of work.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #65 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Those are the two least important aspects of any change to television.

 

Don't follow that. When I'm looking for a new TV the two things I look for are picture quality and set design. Everything else is less important.

post #66 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post
I'm talking about the switch from SD to HD. 

 

You are comparing HD to HD.

 

Your implication is that what I'm saying is any different from what you're saying. I fail to see how.

 

No one could care less about UI.

 

Thanks for continuing to talk about something about which I'm not talking.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #67 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post

The way I see it is that Apple realizes the big cable providers will not be able to hold on forever... just like the music companies when MP3 started getting popular. No matter how hard the providers want to fight it, a BIG change is coming! I would say in the next 5 years things are going to be very different. So if Apple can get in on the ground floor, or build it, they will in a heartbeat.

 

The major problem isn't necessarily the "Smart TV" interfaces or the apps on them (even though they are terrible), it is the standard cable box and it's ancient interface. If Apple figures out how to integrate the cable box with the guide into the TV in an elegant way and also bring the App Store on board, they would instantly have something that no major player has been able to do yet. If that happens, I will drop my 5 year old Bravia in a heartbeat.

 

 

In my view the last thing Apple should waste time on is cable boxes and interfacing with them. Cable TV is fast becoming a lame duck as people dump it because of high cost, bundling of content, the sad-sack cable boxen and their horrible user interfaces.

post #68 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Agreed.  Apple doesn't care about the TV, it cares about the value chain.

Producers
Studios
Syndicators
Networks
Delivery (local media, Cable, Satellite, Internet, Torrenters)
Consumer.

What does the consumer want?   They want to ala carte a bunch of movies and TV series into 'MyPersonalMediaChannels' (MyTV is tmed by someone).  What is that... Sort of like the new PodCast plus Genius ("You like 'BreakingBad and Kill Bill Pt3?   you may like....")

It's less about the TV, and more about the content bundling.   an iOS device (or a new Mac App to replace iTunes) to manage it, the cloud to capture and deliver it, and the appleID account to pay for it. at $1.99-$3.99 per hour.  (with Movies being 8-10/hour...and cable running $80/month ($1/hour?), this is a pretty good in the ball park pricing.

The kicker is 'Live TV'  People want to watch it at moment of delivery and/or DVR it....  How does Apple do that?  (an antenna connection to an AppleTV box with Channel management DVR capabilities?) 

Bottom line... It's all about the content.  If Apple can get Disney (best friend in the business) to swing a deal, then the others may follow... But in the end, it's all about cutting out either Cable providers and/or networks.    If Apple can do to video media what they did to music, the whole world will be set on it's ear.

How would it get delivered? Most OTA frequencies are taken. The old frequencies are now being used to transmit LTE.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #69 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Don't follow that. When I'm looking for a new TV the two things I look for are picture quality and set design. Everything else is less important.

And those are 2 things that Apple can't change much if at all.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #70 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

 

You can't name a manufacturer in your quote.  As I stated earlier... I don't think the TV will be the differentiator.  It will be how you get media to the TV.

 

At the time of the iPod they said that it was 'lame'  (/. CmdrTaco), in that the market had 'better' solutions available.

 

At the time of iTMS,  people said no one would buy music that was DRMed.

 

At the time of the iPhone, there was Nokia, Microsoft, Palm, and RIM all stating that Apple couldn't sell a smart phone.

 

At the time of the iPad, HP, Microsoft, RIM were were stating that Apple couldn't sell a 'tablet' (and they didn't).

 

Almost every time... it wasn't so much 'groundbreaking' as it was a 'compelling experience for the common person.'  My 80yo mother can use a Mac, her iPod, and her iPad.  She learned all of this after the age of 65.   Before then, she was scared of PCs, using an electric typewriter.  I don't support her anymore... my 12yo nephew is her tech support for her iPad and Mac.

 

My parents don't have cable... why... too many channels.  But they watch their news on their iPad.   I see the 'touch with finger and get' interface of the iPad making their TV life much easier.  It's balancing Boxee/NetFlix/Roku/SlingBox/ITMS together with the ability to DVR 'local/live' stuff.     Seems like a no brainer for a TV with a couple of processors and a Antenna, knowledge of your connection (Cable plan, and OTA channels), a bit of intelligence to find when shows 'start', and a couple of GB of local storage for local live, and cloud storage for 'national-live' and agreements for content for the rest.

 

Samsung ain't gonna do that.   Nor is LG, or Sony.   Because they don't _care_ about  end to end experience. 

 

You haven't explained how will the Apple TV be radically different from the current Smart TVs from Samsung, Panasonic, LG and Sony? When I look at the current AppleTV the interface and features aren't that different from the others.

post #71 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post


I'm talking about the switch from SD to HD. 

You are comparing HD to HD.

720P is regarded as "HD". 1080 is "full HD". Does that mean 720 is "half HD"? lol.gif

Picture quality is THE most important reason people changed to HD instead of SD television. No one could care less about UI. It's a consumption device. You sit and wait and let the content feed your brain. There is hardly any interaction. Of course TV makers think otherwise in order for them to jack up prices so they can puff up their profit margins. Making all sorts of marketing jargons and scenarios where you NEED to purchase a "smart TV". I'd say its total BS.

I suspect when you see Apple's concept, it will be easier to see what the fuss is about. Until then everyone is using metaphors and analogies that simply won't apply. For example you are assuming it is primarily for watching TV Shows. That will obviously be one thing but there will be far more uses, hence a simple, intuitive control system will be essential.

If you want a stab at trying to demonstrate this, the new Nest thermostat does many absolutely amazing things yet has minimal controls. Two years ago all so called intelligent thermostats we removed from the Energy Star system because they used more energy ... Why? Because the vast majority of people simply could fathom out how to program them and incorrectly programmed they are worse than an old fashioned manual knob. Adding tons of features with old historically accepted control paradigms makes things unusable. Apple I hope will do to the big screen what Nest did to thermostats.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #72 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post


Right, because after the advent of the interactive menu system on newer TV's, people jumped into the HDTV realm.

 

I'm sorry to say that you are wrong on this one.

 

People switched in mass to HDTV due to PICTURE QUALITY improvement.

 

That was and is there biggest reason (followed by picture size) in changing their television.

 

The only people willing to make the switch will be those who are four legged, white furs used for textiles industry and make the sound "meeh" over and over again.

 

 

 

Regarding, AI's misleading title, the only major television manufacturer who formed this "alliance" was LG.

 

The title should read, LG forms TV alliance, not "TV makers" with a plural.

 

LG and Philips.  Takes 2 to form an alliance.  TP/Phillips is real player.

 

I really think AppleTV boxes ($99) will be the driver.   An TV with a built in AppleTV unit (bluetooth/WifI/infrared), would be less than $100 delta to construct. The issue would be would Apple build one at 40" that could be sold for <$600US?  Dunno.  But if you know you're getting .30 on the dollar for the next 8 years for say $10/week. (12/month...1000 over 8 years), then you can build it on the same financial rationalle  as the Kindle.

 

I don't think any TV alliance can compete with that.

post #73 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

 

 

In my view the last thing Apple should waste time on is cable boxes and interfacing with them. Cable TV is fast becoming a lame duck as people dump it because of high cost, bundling of content, the sad-sack cable boxen and their horrible user interfaces.

Do you seriously think Apple is going to bring you daytime tv drama, talk shows, local news, real time sports, emergency alert messages, stock market data, etc. etc.

 

No. Apple brings you reruns, that's it.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #74 of 161

Smart TV = Watching what you want, when you want, where you want on what you want to watch it on. No arcane and outdated restrictions and rules keeping you from doing that. When that day comes then everyone who has Internet will have Smart TV. Apple does not need to reinvent any hardware.

post #75 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

You haven't explained how will the Apple TV be radically different from the current Smart TVs from Samsung, Panasonic, LG and Sony? When I look at the current AppleTV the interface and features aren't that different from the others.

This thread isn't about the Apple TV. That is a different product. Although the nomenclature is going to be confusing to those not familiar with Apple's products!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #76 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


This thread isn't about the Apple TV. That is a different product. Although the nomenclature is going to be confusing to those not familiar with Apple's products!
 

Not really, today I have Apple TV maybe in the future I will have an Apple TV.

post #77 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

 a DSLR with a useful range of lenses appealing to the advanced amateur / semi-pro user.

 

 

Apple is unlikely to come out with a new product line unless they can target pretty much everybody as a potential buyer.  I suspect that there are not enough amateur/semi-pro users to justify that as a new product line.  Not only that, but the market is well served now by Nikon and Canon.  Apple is only going to enter a new market with something new.

post #78 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

 

You haven't explained how will the Apple TV be radically different from the current Smart TVs from Samsung, Panasonic, LG and Sony? When I look at the current AppleTV the interface and features aren't that different from the others.

 

If you're looking at Hardware and interface... you're looking at the wrong thing.

 

It all boils down to linking

- Local/Live Content

- ITMS for vid content (to deliver 'network' and 'national/international live' content) 

- and a cloud based media collection (nTier DVR).

 

The TV isn't the issue... the menu isn't the issue.  It's the content delivery system coupled with the 'deals' to make it 'one source', and the User experience to set up 'MyTV'

 

iPod didn't succeed because of the iPod or iTunes... it succeeded because of the content deals.

 

Samsung and Panasonic and LG and Sony aren't doing that.

post #79 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post


I'm talking about the switch from SD to HD. 

You are comparing HD to HD.

720P is regarded as "HD". 1080 is "full HD". Does that mean 720 is "half HD"? lol.gif

No, that would be 0.667 HD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Picture quality is THE most important reason people changed to HD instead of SD television. No one could care less about UI. It's a consumption device. You sit and wait and let the content feed your brain. There is hardly any interaction. Of course TV makers think otherwise in order for them to jack up prices so they can puff up their profit margins. Making all sorts of marketing jargons and scenarios where you NEED to purchase a "smart TV". I'd say its total BS.

I disagree. I don't think I'm atypical and I can't really tell the difference between 720 and 1080 HD at the distances I normally view TV (perhaps 9-10 feet for a 55" set). I can tell the difference between BluRay and DVD, but only if I'm specifically looking for it. As soon as the movie starts, it no longer matters - either one is sufficient to not interfere with the movie. When people had B/W TVs, color was such an improvement that they jumped. When people were using VHS, DVD was a big enough improvement to spur a change. HD was a big enough improvement over SD to cause rapid acceptance. Now that we're at 1080HD and BR, any further improvements in picture quality will be pretty marginal.

Yes, a tiny number of people may be interested in something better than BR, but those are the people buying $100 audio cables and $25,000 speaker systems. That's not the market Apple would be interested in. So improving picture quality over BR/1080 isn't likely to be part of the story. If there is an Apple TV, the selling feature will be either usability or content - or both.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #80 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I guess the DoJ will be all over this, any second now.

No, monopolies and conspiracies are OK unless Apple is involved.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Smart TV makers forming alliances out of fear Apple will soon dominate their industry too