or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Smart TV makers forming alliances out of fear Apple will soon dominate their industry too
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smart TV makers forming alliances out of fear Apple will soon dominate their industry too - Page 3

post #81 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


This thread isn't about the Apple TV. That is a different product. Although the nomenclature is going to be confusing to those not familiar with Apple's products!

 

and you say that because you think AppleTV and an AppleTV will be two totally different things?   Personally, I think Apple will merge the two with a new iOS skin.  The major difference will be that old AppleTV STBoxes won't have a antenna/cable port, whereas new ones will.

post #82 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


No, that would be 0.667 HD.
I disagree. I don't think I'm atypical and I can't really tell the difference between 720 and 1080 HD at the distances I normally view TV (perhaps 9-10 feet for a 55" set). I can tell the difference between BluRay and DVD, but only if I'm specifically looking for it. As soon as the movie starts, it no longer matters - either one is sufficient to not interfere with the movie. When people had B/W TVs, color was such an improvement that they jumped. When people were using VHS, DVD was a big enough improvement to spur a change. HD was a big enough improvement over SD to cause rapid acceptance. Now that we're at 1080HD and BR, any further improvements in picture quality will be pretty marginal.
Yes, a tiny number of people may be interested in something better than BR, but those are the people buying $100 audio cables and $25,000 speaker systems. That's not the market Apple would be interested in. So improving picture quality over BR/1080 isn't likely to be part of the story. If there is an Apple TV, the selling feature will be either usability or content - or both.

What is 1080HD? BR = 1080P. If you have not seen a 4K TV then you don't really know how primitive 1080P is. When you look at your TV and you cannot tell if you are looking out a window or watching a TV, that is when you can say marginal.

post #83 of 161
Quote:
In particular, TPV Technology and LG Electronics are said to be either forming alliances with one another or are seeking out additional partners for smart TV alliances, sources speaking to DigiTimes say. They add that China-based TV brand Changhong has also formed an alliance and is placing bets on a cloud-based interface for its offerings which it hopes to solidify within three years.

The sources said the alliances are also forming as Apple is preparing to release a smart TV. Due to Apple's influence in the market, the sources fear it will further dominate the smart TV market, which is estimated to reach a 40% penetration rate by 2014.

 

Huddling together for warmth for the coming winter.

post #84 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The TV is for watching.

Not navigating.

It doesnt matter whether someone has "cracked" the UI.

 
Most of the time the viewer is watching the programs rather than navigating to get to the content itself.

Therefore, the bigger importance is the picture quality and the set design rather than the UI.

I was just thinking the same thing. I interact with my phone more in one day than a week of interacting with my TV. I have my favorites set and with the click of one button very easily go through them.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #85 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
The major difference will be that old AppleTV STBoxes won't have a antenna/cable port, whereas new ones will.

OTA requires a lot of hardware on the roof and is only available within 50 miles of the broadcast source. Cable can and already has encrypted signals on some channels. The only ports open are wifi and ethernet.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #86 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

 

 

In my view the last thing Apple should waste time on is cable boxes and interfacing with them. Cable TV is fast becoming a lame duck as people dump it because of high cost, bundling of content, the sad-sack cable boxen and their horrible user interfaces.

 

That's not what I meant. What I said was to integrate the cable box INTO the set (their own solution), not interface with it. I know what you mean when you basically say get rid of cable all together, which I totally agree with, but in order to get live programming that isn't broadcast over the air, you will still need a cable interface built in. Now, it would be amazing if Apple comes out of the gate with all of that solved, but I think the providers are going to put up a good fight for a few years while Apple works towards a la carte and live channel solutions.

 

and this is all hypothetical obviously.

post #87 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

What is 1080HD? BR = 1080P. If you have not seen a 4K TV then you don't really know how primitive 1080P is. When you look at your TV and you cannot tell if you are looking out a window or watching a TV, that is when you can say marginal.

If you watched The Avengers you know what 4K looks like.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #88 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post

That's not what I meant. What I said was to integrate the cable box INTO the set (their own solution), not interface with it. I know what you mean when you basically say get rid of cable all together, which I totally agree with, but in order to get live programming that isn't broadcast over the air, you will still need a cable interface built in. Now, it would be amazing if Apple comes out of the gate with all of that solved, but I think the providers are going to put up a good fight for a few years while Apple works towards a la carte and live channel solutions.

and this is all hypothetical obviously.

It already exists, it's called Cable card and it has failed miserably. It would take a company like Apple to finally make it work correctly.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #89 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


[...] Improving picture quality over BR/1080 isn't likely to be part of the story. If there is an Apple TV, the selling feature will be either usability or content - or both.

 

+1

 

It's all about merging 

- the DVD player

- the OTA Antenna

- the cable connection (and delivered channels)

- the DVR for 'Local/Live' content (OTA/LocalCableAccess)

- Internet based media (netflix, iTMS, etc)

- Cloud based DVR and 'live delivery' of premade content (why should 1000's of people DVR Breaking Bad, when one Content Deal with the production company would do it)

- Cloud based 'network/Live[or DVR]' (Internet delivery of paywalled cable content... boxing, MLB, NHL, NFL network).

 

into an interface a 10 year old and a 65 year old can instantly grok ('touch - All Shows or On Now'....touch 'breaking bad'  'touch play last show' or 'add to one of your 'channels' [On Now gives you the selection of all 'live' media you currently have available to you, presented in a scrollable interface on you iOS device or onscreen]

 

The 'magic sauce' is all the content deals, and the revenue pass through (pay per view... through AppleID... I for one would pay $$ for Breaking Bad, but I'm not paying Comcast $55/month for the privilege, plus the DVR costs... I'll pay $1.99 at 720P internet delivered for it though).

post #90 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
If you watched The Avengers you know what 4K looks like.

 

Only if you watched it via a 4K projector… 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #91 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post


In my view the last thing Apple should waste time on is cable boxes and interfacing with them. Cable TV is fast becoming a lame duck as people dump it because of high cost, bundling of content, the sad-sack cable boxen and their horrible user interfaces.

I'm not so sure that many people are dumping it (in the US at least). According to the survey below 87% of households subscribe to some form of cable/satellite service, and that's up from 80% in 2004. I'm skeptical Apple will be able to shake up the TV industry the way they did with music. And as far as horrible user interfaces, the current Apple TV interface is nothing to write home about. I'll take my directv interface over that any day.

http://www.leichtmanresearch.com/press/070512release.html
post #92 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It already exists, it's called Cable card and it has failed miserably. It would take a company like Apple to finally make it work correctly.
And what exactly would Apple be able to do that others have failed at? I'm skeptical Apple will be able to crack this nut. It's a lot more complicated and with more intrenched interests than the music industry. And does Apple really want to get in the middle of all that?
post #93 of 161
Imagine if Steve Jobs were alive in 2013 and he is on stage toward the end of a product announcemnt in Feb 2013: Towards the end of the show . after share proce has dropped 50 points, because all that has been shown so far is new OS and newer iPAd, mac Pro refresh, AND ONE MORE THING: A big image of logo of Apple TV logo appears on the screen Huge ovation: "Remember I told you I had cracked TV?" then a series of slides showing the TV from the 50's , the chunk chunk chunk kind, we had to get up off the couch to change channel. It got better, we had the first remote control ooooh, a bit better. Then cable came along, the VCR to record and watch movies. Then it gets real messy. I think you knw th story. slides of tivo's, cable boixes, 5 remotes to control it all, wires everywhere, major enibations j to connect it all togehter, a huge mess. Today I'd like to intporduce you to the new way of interacting with your TV and here it is: Up pops a huge TV from the floor. Okay looks just like your common or graden TV right? WRONG Here is the remote: It fit nicely in hand all white Its based on all the great thing we have with touch from iPhone, Ipad and track pad. To tuirne the TV on he makes a great show of simply touching the device once with hsi finger. boom it turns on and plays a TV show is playing starts flicking thru channels by swiping with finger from left to right and back, Espn comes up, the Disney channel showing a movie. and other channels he swipe up and itunes shows with slick Apple TV inteface to There's an App for iPhone and iPad so you can use this remote or the iPhone/iPad, another wipe brings up the older Apple TV inteface with access to movies youtube, flicker, facebook , another brings up Comcast. Then he asks everyone to be quiet ans say, "Siri: show me ESPN" back comes ESPN. Siri, record the show to my iMac , and pause for 2 minutes" . waist 30 seconds: Siri: resume" . Siri : show me Scifi channel, up comes a commercial, "fast forward 1 minute" , up pops the scifi show after the commercial is done. He goes on like this showing off the interface. How much does it cost? Goes thru explanation of current TV and their prices, VAriosu stae of the art models togehter with pricing. We decided to compete directly with all these models: We have 5 sizes for you - 30", 40" 50" 60 and 70" A typical apple slide shows up with pricing 30" is 999, 40" is 1499 is 50" is 2399, 60" is 2799, 70" is 3499 gasps from audience You can subscribe to Disney by the month, cancel it, a restart subscription whenever you like, same for ESPN1,ESPN2, NFL, DISCOVERY, SCI-FI. more content to come later. Of course you can still connect your current cable provider to the TV. cost 4.99 per month each Claps his hands and TV turns off! Apple share price at $84 up 80 points on the day YEAH the rest is history
post #94 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


It already exists, it's called Cable card and it has failed miserably. It would take a company like Apple to finally make it work correctly.

 

That is basically exactly what I said...

post #95 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post


Technically he wasn't wrong, Apple didn't build a decent "phone", it was plagued with call dropping. What Apple did do was build an awesome mini computer and put the Web in people's pockets. Can Apple eliminate my PS3, my cable box, and my Roku?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #96 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Only if you watched it via a 4K projector… 

I most certainly did and WOW
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #97 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post

That is basically exactly what I said...

I Apple-lized what you said, you know made it easier to understand lol
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #98 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Imagine if Steve Jobs were alive in 2013 ...[BLAH BLAH BLAH]... YEAH the rest is history

Get a <p> for pete's sake

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #99 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

OTA requires a lot of hardware on the roof and is only available within 50 miles of the broadcast source. Cable can and already has encrypted signals on some channels. The only ports open are wifi and ethernet.

 

You're assuming I and 6Billion other people  have cable.  I have 22 channels OTA, and it's a pre-installed  antenna on my roof that the cable comes out just behind my TV... in essense, it's free.   and in the US, All cable companies must provide unencrypted local TV channels at a sub-basic rate.

 

And this is why I think Apple is out disintermediate the cable companies and networks, not the TV manufacturers, just like the iPod (media companies were the real problem... not the other media players) and iPhone (a little slower, but Apple is making carriers a dumb pipe).   the iPod and iPhone were about easy navigation across multiple content/function channels... and that's what an Apple TV will be about.

 

If you have a new HDTV, Is anyone unhappy with it?  The 'clicker'(s one for TV, Cable, DVR, and DVD), maybe, but the TV?

 

The game is content delivery and navigation.

post #100 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And what exactly would Apple be able to do that others have failed at? I'm skeptical Apple will be able to crack this nut. It's a lot more complicated and with more intrenched interests than the music industry. And does Apple really want to get in the middle of all that?

Who knows? That's what's great about Apple, the problem though is that I have 5 cable boxes in my house. I most certainly will not buy 5 Apple branded TVs.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #101 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

 

You're assuming I and 6Billion other people  have cable.  I have 22 channels OTA, and it's a pre-installed  antenna on my roof that the cable comes out just behind my TV... in essense, it's free. 

I've got the same thing but I had to pay for it and install it myself and I'm right on the fringe so I had to go with an amplifier as well. I also have cable for other channels and Internet. I have to say the OTA is pretty high quality compared to cable.

 

I am thinking of switching to AT&T Uverse though because my cable gets all screwed up when there are a lot of people watching in the neighborhood, especially if there is a popular sports team playing even if that is not what I'm watching. The Internet through the cable gets congested and slow as well. Not sure if Uverse is going to be any better. They just put the fiber in and they say it is 100% better.

 

I learned that the communications conduits under my street are owned by the city. I thought the cable company owned them but apparently AT&T decided to lease them also, so now we have a choice between cable or fiber. About the same price too, although one channel I watch now is is only available on the super premium package on Uverse. I hate those packages because it seems like you always have that one channel you want in some other package.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #102 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

What is 1080HD? BR = 1080P. If you have not seen a 4K TV then you don't really know how primitive 1080P is. When you look at your TV and you cannot tell if you are looking out a window or watching a TV, that is when you can say marginal.

I hope you enjoy your $100 audio cables. Did you use a green sharpie to mark the edge of your CDs, too? That seems like the kind of person you are.

For the majority of people, BluRay is only marginally better than DVD. Going beyond BluRay is getting into differences that are so subtle as to be undetectable.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #103 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


And what exactly would Apple be able to do that others have failed at? I'm skeptical Apple will be able to crack this nut. It's a lot more complicated and with more intrenched interests than the music industry. And does Apple really want to get in the middle of all that?

 

Because Apple exists to solve the problem consumers want solved and who will pay money for it being solved.

 

       the 'TV Situation'*: "Viewing stuff on my TV is now harder than ever.  Apple, can you make it easy." (not easier... easy).

 

*I tend to think of Apple as 'Mr Wolf' in Pulp fiction in the "Bonnie Situation"  

 

I think Apple is now financially positioned and has enough critical mass in terms of customers that you can't say no to them.  If everyone has an iPad in the US (getting there pretty darned quick), why wouldn't the production company for Breaking Bad or Dexter or strike a deal directly with Apple forgo exclusivity with AMC and Showtime.  It's better for AMC and Showtime to get their cut than to let Apple go right to the show creators (thank you netflix).   Better to get 70% of everything than 100% of nothing;-)

 

your question reasked:  If not Apple, do you think Samsung could do that?  Sony? [think anti-trust], LG?, Panasonic?

 

Who is going to make Home media 'easy'?

post #104 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Who knows? That's what's great about Apple, the problem though is that I have 5 cable boxes in my house. I most certainly will not buy 5 Apple branded TVs.
I'd love nothing more than to eat my words but Apple shaking up the TV industry seems more wishful thinking than anything else. Considering the amount of rumors Apple generates if they were working on something big in the TV space (especially if it was something tombe announced yet this year) wouldn't we have heard rumors about it by now?

My guess if we see something this year it will be additional apps on the current Apple TV.
post #105 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Because Apple exists to solve the problem consumers want solved, and will pay money for it being solved.

       the 'TV Situation'*: "Viewing stuff on my TV is now harder than ever.  Apple, can you make it easy." (not easier... easy).

*I tend to think of Apple as 'Mr Wolf' in Pulp fiction in the "Bonnie Situation"  

I think Apple is now financially positioned and has enough critical mass in terms of customers that you can't say no to them.  If everyone has an iPad in the US (getting there pretty darned quick), why wouldn't the production company for Breaking Bad or Dexter or strike a deal directly with Apple forgo exclusivity with AMC and Showtime.  It's better for AMC and Showtime to get their cut than to let Apple go right to the show creators (thank you netflix).   Better to get 70% of everything than 100% of nothing;-)

your question reasked:  If not Apple, do you think Samsung could do that?  Sony? [think anti-trust], LG?, Panasonic?

Who is going to make Home media 'easy'?
I'm keeping my expectations low. But I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.
post #106 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Who knows? That's what's great about Apple, the problem though is that I have 5 cable boxes in my house. I most certainly will not buy 5 Apple branded TVs.

outlier statistic.

 

And I trully think that a future $99 AppleTV (the box) will give you 90+% of what an 'Apple TV' will give you... 

post #107 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxSampleXX View Post

There is not enough value to be added to the idiot box to allow Apple to sell TVs and the steep margins they demand.  If Apple really does come out with a television set, it will probably be one of their few missteps over the past few years.  That speaker they made for a while is the last blunder I recall.  Interesting, another piece of entertainment hardware.
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Without or with Apple, Tv makers struggle for survival, with razor thin margins. Only panels producers can capture a significant part of the added value.
this has always been the case in the electronic consumer goods industry : those who think that the only important part is the hardware (forgetting about the software, and the ecosystem) cannot survive ...

 

Same type of things said before they released the first iPhone. You are speaking from the point of view of those who are left behind wondering what just happened as Apple revolutionizes another market.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #108 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
And what exactly would Apple be able to do that others have failed at? I'm skeptical Apple will be able to crack this nut. It's a lot more complicated and with more intrenched interests than the music industry. And does Apple really want to get in the middle of all that?

 

This is identical to what people said before the iPod came out. And before the iPhone came out. And before the iPad came out.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post
Post

 

Not thinking very much like Apple.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #109 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post


Same type of things said before they released the first iPhone. You are speaking from the point of view of those who are left behind wondering what just happened as Apple revolutionizes another market.

I wish you'd people would stop referring to that. This is vastly different. Here's why, in 2007 what was the iPhone? It was an iPod (which was already immensely popular) with a touch screen, a mobile device for Internet browsing like never before and last and I believe least a mobile phone. Integrating the iPod was easy because it was their device, but can Apple integrate my cable box made by Motorola, my PS3 made by Sony, my Microsoft X box 360, etc...?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #110 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

outlier statistic.

And I trully think that a future $99 AppleTV (the box) will give you 90+% of what an 'Apple TV' will give you... 
I have a feeling Apple TV will continue to be a hobby. If there was something big going on we'd have heard rumors by now.
post #111 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

outlier statistic.

And I trully think that a future $99 AppleTV (the box) will give you 90+% of what an 'Apple TV' will give you... 

That's my thinking - an 'Apple TV' box will do almost everything that you can do by integrating it. The only exception would be if they decide to put a BR player in the TV. I could be wrong, though.

What I really think they should do is license iOS for televisions with strict quality standards. They could bury Google TV overnight.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #112 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is identical to what people said before the iPod came out. And before the iPhone came out. And before the iPad came out.


Not thinking very much like Apple.
Says the one who swears up and down that Apple isn't making a television. Maybe Apple will revolutionize TV the way they did music with iTunes. I'm just skeptical. This is what Cook said at Apple's shareholder meeting earlier this year:
Quote:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1165542/cook_apples_success_take_center_stage_at_annual_shareholder_meeting.html
Cook, in response to a shareholder urging the company to use its cash hoard to come up with an alternative to Netflix, Hulu, and the like for video-content distribution: “There are plenty of apps that provide content, and users want those apps. We get profit from selling devices...our focus is not on making a lot of money in content...An a la carte video system isn’t likely to arrive quickly, because the money is big for the companies involved.”

Let people keep dreaming that Apple is going to bury satellite and cable with their $99 black box....
post #113 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's my thinking - an 'Apple TV' box will do almost everything that you can do by integrating it. The only exception would be if they decide to put a BR player in the TV. I could be wrong, though.
What I really think they should do is license iOS for televisions with strict quality standards. They could bury Google TV overnight.

I would've wholeheartedly agreed with you a week ago (and I know that's something I hardly ever do) until I saw that there's soon going to be a XBMC app for Android, it'll work on any device but most importantly on a Google TV without having to hack it. As of now it's only available on jail broken Apple TVs.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #114 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Says the one who swears up and down that Apple isn't making a television. Maybe Apple will revolutionize TV the way they did music with iTunes. I'm just skeptical.

 

Well, yeah. I'm just putting things into perspective. 

 

Quote:
 This is what Cook said at Apple's shareholder meeting earlier this year:
Let people keep dreaming that Apple is going to bury satellite and cable with their $99 black box....

 

Why in the world did he say that? Either it's double-speak or…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #115 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's my thinking - an 'Apple TV' box will do almost everything that you can do by integrating it. The only exception would be if they decide to put a BR player in the TV. I could be wrong, though.
What I really think they should do is license iOS for televisions with strict quality standards. They could bury Google TV overnight.
Fat chance of Apple ever licensing their software to run on someone else's hardware. Especially when it's hardware where Apple makes most of its profit. How much money does Google make off of Google TV?
post #116 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, yeah. I'm just putting things into perspective. 


Why in the world did he say that? Either it's double-speak or…
Obviously Cook is being coy on theirs plans in this space. But everything he had said gives me the impression they're dipping their toe in the water to see how it feels. As I said earlier if they were doing something big in the TV space something would have leaked by now.
post #117 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

.

The kicker is 'Live TV'  People want to watch it at moment of delivery and/or DVR it....  How does Apple do that?  (an antenna connection to an AppleTV box with Channel management DVR capabilities?) 

iTunes downloads/streaming goes live at the OTA broadcast time with your purchase being added in the budget make good for the show instead of this sampling system that counts way too small a group to be anything less than censorship by a vast minority. More folksgt a vote and no more Firefly being canceled after 6 eps launching letter campaigns etc. if they are smart and knock the price down to say 99 cents for under 30 minutes, 1.99 for 30-60 and 2.99 for over 60 at all three quality settings it might even vastly cut down torrents, especially if the shows are globally released at irst OTA

Sports and news, which are typically not viewed repeatedly could keep during the iOS app type stuff. Live stream the event while it happens with highlights available to stream after the fact.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #118 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post


In my view the last thing Apple should waste time on is cable boxes and interfacing with them. Cable TV is fast becoming a lame duck as people dump it because of high cost, bundling of content, the sad-sack cable boxen and their horrible user interfaces.

While I agree that Apple is likely focused on removing the need for the box, they might still provide some forms of support (should the companies want to take it) if only to prove they aren't 'scared' of the competition. Like say if they put in an API that would allow the other boys to link their blu-ray players, cable boxes etc to the Apple TV interface so you could control everything from your iPad with the Remote App. If the other boys don't update to use such a thing it wouldnt be Apples fault.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #119 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I was just thinking the same thing. I interact with my phone more in one day than a week of interacting with my TV. I have my favorites set and with the click of one button very easily go through them.

and when you had a dumb phone was the same true?   you had 10 digits and 2 symbols...

 

If your TV had say an 'weather app' would you watch the news for that?

 

How do you access your DVR?  Your DVD?  Your NetFlix?   or literally do you have 15 channels and that's it?  How do you know what your favorites are?  How do you figure out how to watch your show when it goes into syndication...

 

I strongly doubt you press one button to nav your entire viewing life.

 

What if your phone and your TV could 'interchange' automatically?   When you walk into your room, and could just 'turn your TV on and continue interacting' would you  do it?   Or tell Siri on your phone to 'Turn on the TV and let's watch MadMen'  and it just happened?

 

What if your TV had FaceTime?

post #120 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


iTunes downloads/streaming goes live at the OTA broadcast time with your purchase being added in the budget make good for the show instead of this sampling system that counts way too small a group to be anything less than censorship by a vast minority. More folksgt a vote and no more Firefly being canceled after 6 eps launching letter campaigns etc. if they are smart and knock the price down to say 99 cents for under 30 minutes, 1.99 for 30-60 and 2.99 for over 60 at all three quality settings it might even vastly cut down torrents, especially if the shows are globally released at irst OTA
Sports and news, which are typically not viewed repeatedly could keep during the iOS app type stuff. Live stream the event while it happens with highlights available to stream after the fact.

Can't get "Peoria Live" on iTunes... Same with Cable Access Channels ("Waynes World"';-) )

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Smart TV makers forming alliances out of fear Apple will soon dominate their industry too