or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Best wishes from the uk

Best wishes from the uk - Page 4

post #121 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

For one, people would often get shot for just trying to get their gun out to use. Then you could have situations where there is a gun fight instead of simply handing over your money or letting someone else hand over theirs. Obviously too if any one could just walk around with a concealed firearm they may be tempted to use it when giving someone the bird might have sufficed if they'd not had it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Maybe. Maybe not. I notice you apply a greater than 50% probability to the worse possibility here. Do you have anything to support this?

Again, do you have anything to support the probability of your claims or is this just your imagination masquerading as fact?

Again, you're making assumptions here with supporting them.

In brief you are making almost entirely negative assumptions of what happens when people possess fire arms and assigning high probability to these negative possibilities and doing exactly the opposite (making almost entirely positive assumptions of what happens when people don't possess fire arms and assigning high probability to these positive possibilities). But nothing to back any of it up.

Here's what happens when the victims of gun crimes who own guns, try to resist. They INCREASE their chances of dying.

"Objectives. We investigated the possible relationship between being shot in an assault and possession of a gun at the time.

Methods. We enrolled 677 case participants that had been shot in an assault and 684 population-based control participants within Philadelphia, PA, from 2003 to 2006. We adjusted odds ratios for confounding variables.

Results. After adjustment, individuals in possession of a gun were 4.46 times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession. Among gun assaults where the victim had at least some chance to resist, this adjusted odds ratio increased to 5.45.

Conclusions. On average, guns did not protect those who possessed them from being shot in an assault. Although successful defensive gun uses occur each year, the probability of success may be low for civilian gun users in urban areas. Such users should reconsider their possession of guns or, at least, understand that regular possession necessitates careful safety countermeasures."

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2009/10/04/carry-a-gun-you-get-shot-more/

He's absolutly right about this one MJ. Having a gun in a situation like this actually increases your chance of getting shot.

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #122 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

He's absolutly right about this one MJ. Having a gun in a situation like this actually increases your chance of getting shot.

And there are two people shot that live for every death by a firearm on average. Seriously bad news for those who try to resist and those around them.

"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #123 of 244

"Owning a gun at home substantially increase the risk of death by firearm to everyone in the home.  It turns out that suicide is the leading cause of death for Americans who have purchased a handgun within the previous year. (data published in the New England Journal of Medicine – Wintermute GJ.  NEJM. 2008; 358:1421-4).  Like cigarette smoke, owning a firearm has deleterious effects on everyone in the home, not just on the one who purchased the gun.   Writing in the peer-reviewed journal Annals of Emergency Medicine, Dr. Wiebe reported on a case-controlled study in which household were matched on a number of demographic factors, and then incidences of gun violence were compared.  They found that people who keep a gun in their home are almost twice as likely to die in a gun-related homicide, and that the risk was especially greater for women: women living in a home where there is a gun are almost three times more likely to die in a gun-related homicide than men similarly situated.   The risk of killing oneself using a gun was almost 17 times greater for persons who live in a home where there is a gun, compared to those in homes without guns."

~ http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/26/1077930/-Statistics-Guns-and-Wishful-Thinking

guns_in_home.gif

Edited by Hands Sandon - 7/28/12 at 7:00pm
post #124 of 244
Quote:

From the article that jimmac posted-

"There’s no background check: Anybody that has a murder conviction can simply log on, email someone, meet ’em in a parking lot, and buy a freaking AK-47.” 

An AK-47 is not an assault rifle unless it is automatic. I'm betting it wasn't an automatic. Educate yourself on the terms before continuing to use them.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #125 of 244
Quote:

Ok Assault style rifle. It's still not used for duck hunting. Sigh!

Now you're just going to make up BS terms to further your agenda? Whether it is for duck hunting or not is totally irrelevant. It's a red herring.

Quote:

You can tell from the number of incidents that the number of irresponsible people is high. Sigh! Eyes roll.

No you can't. That's merely your conjecture.

Quote:

You've answered a question with a question.

Yes.

Quote:

And we all pay a price in for instance something you're fond of harping about.

Repeating what you said is not the same as explaining it.

Quote:

Lack of freedom because of lack of trust in people doing the right thing. Terrorists are terrorists wither individual psychos or groups. Both kill innocents for reasons crazy or not.

You're starting to babble.

Quote:

And now we have a situation where people are afraid to just go out to a fucking movie and remain safe.

Some people, I'm sure.

Quote:

The situation impinges itself on our individual freedoms.

In what way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Also it's expensive in the extra precautions that have to be taken because of this situation.

Yes. So? You're assuming that under the conditions where something bad might happen, people shouldn't take additional precautions?

Quote:

So as you can see by the situation in Colorado where gun sales have spiked we've become an armed society. I really don't see that as a good thing.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Quote:

So here's a Police officer who's stopping someone who's run a red light and rather than just argue with the officer and spend a night in jail it might be easier to just blow him away ( this is how some people really think ). And then of course there's the collateral victims again who weren't the target but were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'd say that's another price we pay. The paying for it really is endless.

Yes, I'm quite sure that's how things will play out. :rolleyes:

This is what I meant when I said to Hands that you guys always assume the worst with the highest probability while assume any positive outcomes with the lowest probabilities. Not very rational (or convincing).

Quote:

Yes Minority Report was a good movie and Philip K. Dick is one of my favorite authors

Congratulations. :rolleyes:

Quote:

...however this can be considered just plain old preventative maintenance on society and not locking someone up before they do something. 

It still fundamentally amounts to pre-crime.

Quote:

In the end less people may die.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Quote:

And given the numbers we have to try something. Just doing nothing is irresponsible in itself.

Hmmm. And you assume that the thing we must do is what you advocate?

Quote:

So you're saying that my idea that less irresponsible people will end up with weapons and less will die is a logical fallacy?

I'm saying that you are assuming the point without proving it. This is fairly common among leftists.

Edited by MJ1970 - 7/28/12 at 8:41pm

post #126 of 244
Quote:

Well he'll get you there on a technicality. It wasn't a " Gun shop " and it was only an Assault style rifle that Holmes used. However if you don't have a criminal record which James Holmes didn't it takes about $1500.00 and a half an hour wait time for the gun he purchased. The point being it's not difficult at all. MJ will also draw the distinction between the rifle used in Aurora and a true automatic weapon but like I said neither are standard hunting fair unless your game is people.

So you'll continue to hammer away with an irrelevant point?!

post #127 of 244

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #128 of 244

post #129 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

And what does that prove?

Only 30 innocent people were killed by gun owners? Nope, it says that 30 gun owners were so dumb that they shot people that they thought were breaking in. I guess that those killed were family members, friends, employees or just those unfortunate enough to knock on the wrong door.

The police statistic is rather vague and thus difficult for me to comment on.

The statistics presented above are extremely skewed. A better comparison would  be the totals of accidental killings by private citizens and the police. They also fail to account for the number of deaths that need not have occurred. For example, not all intruders are armed or have any desire to confront the home owner. Many states will allow the killing of intruders if the owner can demonstrate that they believed that they were in danger, whilst failing to take into account the fact that had the owner not owned a gun, there might not have been a confrontation in the first place.   

The irony is that your picture re-enforces my opinion that even the police should not be routinely armed.

post #130 of 244
Quote:

"Owning a gun at home substantially increase the risk of death by firearm to everyone in the home.  It turns out that suicide is the leading cause of death for Americans who have purchased a handgun within the previous year. (data published in the New England Journal of Medicine – Wintermute GJ.  NEJM. 2008; 358:1421-4).  Like cigarette smoke, owning a firearm has deleterious effects on everyone in the home, not just on the one who purchased the gun.   Writing in the peer-reviewed journal Annals of Emergency Medicine, Dr. Wiebe reported on a case-controlled study in which household were matched on a number of demographic factors, and then incidences of gun violence were compared.  They found that people who keep a gun in their home are almost twice as likely to die in a gun-related homicide, and that the risk was especially greater for women: women living in a home where there is a gun are almost three times more likely to die in a gun-related homicide than men similarly situated.   The risk of killing oneself using a gun was almost 17 times greater for persons who live in a home where there is a gun, compared to those in homes without guns."

~ http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/26/1077930/-Statistics-Guns-and-Wishful-Thinking

guns_in_home.gif

These stats are cherry-picked and highly debatable.  But they are also irrelevant.  Unless you want to repeal the 2nd Amendment.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #131 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:

guns_in_home.gif

These stats are cherry-picked and highly debatable.  But they are also irrelevant.  Unless you want to repeal the 2nd Amendment.  

lol.giflol.giflol.gif SDW there have been many studies for many years now and they all say the same thing! This has been known for a long time! Any policeman will tell you this. Jesus! Talk about embarrassing one's self!lol.gif

Have a look bucko! http://www.bing.com/search?q=studies%20showing%20that%20having%20a%20gun%20increases%20your%20chance%20of%20being%20shot&FORM=HPDTLB&PC=HPDTDF&QS=n

post #132 of 244
Quote:

lol.giflol.giflol.gif SDW there have been many studies and they all say the same thing! Also this has been known for a long time! Jesus! Talk about embarrassing one's self!lol.gif

Have a look bucko! http://www.bing.com/search?q=studies%20showing%20that%20having%20a%20gun%20increases%20your%20chance%20of%20being%20shot&FORM=HPDTLB&PC=HPDTDF&QS=n

Again, cherry-picked.  And regardless, none of it matters unless you plan to repeal the 2nd Amendment.  

post #133 of 244

post #134 of 244
Quote:

This message was brought to you by the NRA!lol.gif

post #135 of 244
Quote:

Quote:

lol.giflol.giflol.gif SDW there have been many studies and they all say the same thing! Also this has been known for a long time! Jesus! Talk about embarrassing one's self!lol.gif

Again, cherry-picked.  And regardless, none of it matters unless you plan to repeal the 2nd Amendment.  

post #136 of 244
Quote:

You're real descending into true incoherence now.  I am saying that further gun restrictions will violate the 2nd Amendment, at least if they are significant.  

post #137 of 244
Quote:

Quote:

You're real descending into true incoherence now.  I am saying that further gun restrictions will violate the 2nd Amendment, at least if they are significant.  

What? You don't understand that you've got your head in the sand?lol.gif

post #138 of 244
Quote:

I've love to read how that is the case.  I really would.  Do tell.  

post #139 of 244
Quote:

Quote:

I've love to read how that is the case.  I really would.  Do tell.  

I had a really snippy comeback to reply with but I'll try reason. The Constitution is rewritten to match the times. 200 years is a long time and  issues are different now. Try going with that one because we face situations our forefathers couldn't have foreseen. That doesn't mean we have to give up our core values. I know you'll say it's our right to bear arms but it's also the nature of the U.S. to show compassion and reason over the old ways. Traditions that people followed just because that's the way it's always been done. Our forefathers left Europe for these shores because of those very same principles. So if not some kind of control how would you SDW ( and MJ this is for him so let him answer please you can comment later ) solve the growing problem of gun violence?

So notice no smiley faces or pictures but a real attempt at conversation on this issue. No insults also so let's see what you do with it.

Edited by jimmac - 7/31/12 at 11:36am
post #140 of 244
Quote:

I had a really snippy comeback to reply with but I'll try reason. The Constitution is rewritten to match the times. 200 years is a long time and  issues are different now. Try going with that one because we face situations our forefathers couldn't have foreseen. That doesn't mean we have to give up our core values. I know you'll say it's our right to bear arms but it's also the nature of the U.S. to show compassion and reason over the old ways. Traditions that people followed just because that's the way it's always been done. Our forefathers left Europe for these shores because of those very same principles. So if not some kind of control how would you SDW ( and MJ this is for him so let him answer please ) solve the growing problem of gun violence?

So notice no smiley faces or pictures but a real attempt at conversation on this issue. No insults also so let's see what you do with it.

The founding fathers provided a means for updating the Constitution. It's called the amendment process. Notice nobody really talks about that anymore? And why should they when the legislature can now just pass any legislation it wants and have it declared "constitutional" by the Supreme Court? Why should we even talk about amendments when the president can just issue an executive order that immediately becomes the law of the land?

post #141 of 244
Quote:

Quote:

I had a really snippy comeback to reply with but I'll try reason. The Constitution is rewritten to match the times. 200 years is a long time and  issues are different now. Try going with that one because we face situations our forefathers couldn't have foreseen. That doesn't mean we have to give up our core values. I know you'll say it's our right to bear arms but it's also the nature of the U.S. to show compassion and reason over the old ways. Traditions that people followed just because that's the way it's always been done. Our forefathers left Europe for these shores because of those very same principles. So if not some kind of control how would you SDW ( and MJ this is for him so let him answer please ) solve the growing problem of gun violence?

The founding fathers provided a means for updating the Constitution. It's called the amendment process. Notice nobody really talks about that anymore? And why should they when the legislature can now just pass any legislation it wants and have it declared "constitutional" by the Supreme Court? Why should we even talk about amendments when the president can just issue an executive order that immediately becomes the law of the land?

So maybe someone needs to address this problem through that process. I was going mention Bush here on that issue of rule bending however.........

post #142 of 244
Quote:

So if not some kind of control how would you SDW ( and MJ this is for him so let him answer please ) solve the growing problem of gun violence?

How about legalizing drugs?

About 80% of gun violence in the US is connected to gang and drug prohibition (similar to another time in the US's past). End the so-called "war on drugs" take the wind out of the sails of this black market. end the violence connected to that.

post #143 of 244
Quote:

I was going mention Bush here on that issue of rule bending however.........

But not the current president of course.

post #144 of 244
Quote:

Quote:

So if not some kind of control how would you SDW ( and MJ this is for him so let him answer please ) solve the growing problem of gun violence?

How about legalizing drugs?

About 80% of gun violence in the US is connected to gang and drug prohibition (similar to another time in the US's past). End the so-called "war on drugs" take the wind out of the sails of this black market. end the violence connected to that.

I'm actually on board with that but this is where the analogy fails. What would you do about guns? They're already legal.

post #145 of 244
Quote:

I'm actually on board with that but this is where the analogy fails. What would you do about guns? They're already legal.

Did you actually read what I posted? Your response suggests you didn't.

post #146 of 244
Quote:

Quote:

I was going mention Bush here on that issue of rule bending however.........

But not the current president of course.

I have mentioned Obama in another thread so to please you I'll mention him. He's not on my goody two shoes list either. However as I've explained it's my belief there are worse people to rule us that would get us in even more hot wter.

post #147 of 244
Quote:

Quote:

Did you actually read what I posted? Your response suggests you didn't.

So you believe legalizing drugs would solve the problem with guns?

post #148 of 244
Quote:

Given that about 80% of gun violence in the US is gang and drug related, I believe it would go a long way to reducing the gun violence in the US.

post #149 of 244
Quote:

Quote:

Given that about 80% of gun violence in the US is gang and drug related, I believe it would go a long way to reducing the gun violence in the US.

Not that I think SDW will advocate legalizing drugs but I notice you totally ignored my request. You just didn't reply to the specific post. I'm interested in what SDW would do first. I want him to see that post ( # 139 in this thread ) and reply.

post #150 of 244
Quote:

but I notice you totally ignored my request

Yep.

Quote:

I'm interested in what SDW would do first.

Good for you.

Quote:

I want him to see that post ( # 139 in this thread ) and reply.

And I want world peace.

post #151 of 244
Quote:

Quote:

but I notice you totally ignored my request

Yep.

Quote:

I'm interested in what SDW would do first.

Good for you.

Quote:

I want him to see that post ( # 139 in this thread ) and reply.

And I want world peace.

Now folks you can see what happens when you try to be nice and civil here. Thank you for putting your best foot forward MJ.

post #152 of 244
Quote:

Now folks you can see what happens when you try to be nice and civil here. Thank you for putting your best foot forward MJ.

Stop your hypocritical righteous indignation.

post #153 of 244
Quote:

And I want world peace.

I thought you wanted a pony. ;-)

post #154 of 244
Quote:

I thought you wanted a pony. ;-)

I do...but after world peace. I have my priorities. ;-)

post #155 of 244
Quote:

I do...but after world peace. I have my priorities. ;-)

But maybe you could help bring about world peace if you had a pony...

post #156 of 244
Quote:

Quote:

Stop your hypocritical righteous indignation.

No MJ this was a real attempt and you showed me what I already knew. Most of you here are more about the snarky comment and the insult than a real community discussion. We all have our differences here but you'd rather avoid my questions and return the snarky comment. Well I tried. Yes MJ this was a real attempt wither you believe it or not. You're also burying my question to SDW giving him an excuse not to answer it. I really wanted to see what he had to say first but you wouldn't go along with a friendly request. Thanks for the honest discussion. I'd thought I'd see if we got somewhere trying this tact. Oh well. Que the " stop righteous indignation " ( rationalization ) comments.

Edited by jimmac - 7/31/12 at 12:24pm
post #157 of 244
Quote:

No MJ this was a real attempt and you showed me what I already knew. Most of you here are more about the snarky comment and the insult than a real community discussion.

Again...enough with your hypocritical righteous indignation. It looks foolish on you.

Quote:

We all have our differences here but you'd rather avoid my questions and return the snarky comment.

Bullshit. I've answered your questions. Stop lying.

Quote:

Well I tried.

Yes, finally.

Quote:

You're also burying my question to SDW giving him an excuse not to answer it.

I'm not burying anything. Quit the phony persecution bullshit.

Quote:

Thanks for the honest discussion. I'd thought I'd see if we got somewhere trying this tact. Oh well.

And I answered your questions. But you couldn't resist chiding me for actually doing so. LOL. You're priceless!

post #158 of 244
Quote:

Quote:

No MJ this was a real attempt and you showed me what I already knew. Most of you here are more about the snarky comment and the insult than a real community discussion.

Again...enough with your hypocritical righteous indignation. It looks foolish on you.

Quote:

We all have our differences here but you'd rather avoid my questions and return the snarky comment.

Bullshit. I've answered your questions. Stop lying.

Quote:

Well I tried.

Yes, finally.

Quote:

You're also burying my question to SDW giving him an excuse not to answer it.

I'm not burying anything. Quit the phony persecution bullshit.

Quote:

Thanks for the honest discussion. I'd thought I'd see if we got somewhere trying this tact. Oh well.

And I answered your questions. But you couldn't resist chiding me for actually doing so. LOL. You're priceless!

Ill try again.

Quote:

So you believe this would be more effective than banning? And why? Do you have statistics and links on this?

post #159 of 244
Quote:

So you believe this would be more effective than banning? And why? Do you have statistics and links on this?

Yes. Because about 80% of the gun violence is gang and drug related.

Do I need to keep repeating myself for your benefit?

post #160 of 244
Quote:

Quote:

Yes. Because about 80% of the gun violence is gang and drug related.

Do I need to keep repeating myself for your benefit?

So you have statistics showing that removing the drug part of the equation would be more effective. Just because it's 80% related ( and I like to see a link supporting this not that I'd find it hard to believe ) doesn't automatically mean it'll be 80 % more effective.

Guys I have to leave to run some errands so I'm not running from the discussion. I'll be back as Arnold would say.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Best wishes from the uk