or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Best wishes from the uk

Best wishes from the uk - Page 7

post #241 of 244

Just goes to show how dangerous guns are.

"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #242 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Yes. So...if I don't find that data convincing, am I just ignoring it so I'll feel better about having a gun in my house?

People are all different have different skills. Some people will trust themselves to handle a situation wisely and the use of a gun wisely, others might not trust themselves, but also act wisely. Then there are those who who trust them themselves to act wisely, but don't and those that don't trust themselves and don't. I would say someone who owns a gun, rightly or wrongly, thinks they will act wisely for the most part. 

Every situation is different too. Some people will have kids around, some people might be drunk, sleepy or ill. Who knows? All I can do is look to see what studies have done and see what they say. The only study done to date on assault victims was by Penn State who found the following-

"In a first-of its-kind study, epidemiologists at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine found that, on average, guns did not protect those who possessed them from being shot in an assault. The study estimated that people with a gun were 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not possessing a gun.

The study was released online this month in the American Journal of Public Health, in advance of print publication in November 2009.

“This study helps resolve the long-standing debate about whether guns are protective or perilous,” notes study author Charles C. Branas, PhD, Associate Professor of Epidemiology. “Will possessing a firearm always safeguard against harm or will it promote a false sense of security?”

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/2009/09/gun-possession-safety/

Then of course there's this, which if true should make people very wary of having a gun in the home. It's a major responsibility, so people who do have guns in the home need to be well trained in their use and use caution as to there storage-

guns_in_home.gif

post #243 of 244

Chicago seems to be erupting. 19 people shot on Thursday and 17 more on Friday- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/25/chicago-shootings-4-kille_n_1830124.html

Just one of the terrible shootings-

About 2:30 a.m., a 23-year-old man was killed in the 4900 block of South Drexel Boulevard. Stephin L. Williams, of the 4000 block of South Lake Park Avenue was sitting in a car eating with his girlfriend when two men, one of whom was armed, walked up and announced a robbery, police and his family said.

Williams tried to fight back but was not successful. He was pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital at 3:10 a.m., a spokeswoman for the Cook County medical examiner's office said. Police are questioning two people in connection with that homicide.

His mother, Tanya Williams said her son worked at a local Walgreens and Starbucks and was attending school to be a registered nurse in Rantoul before transferring back to Chicago. He also served as the main caregiver for his 95-year-old grandfather, said his mother.

~ http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-woman-teen-wounded-in-east-chatham-shooting-20120824,0,5211283.story

Edited by Hands Sandon - 8/25/12 at 12:27pm

post #244 of 244

And, sadly, none of those people in Chicago is legally allowed to defend themselves with a firearm. So the only one's the have the firearms are the violent criminals. Go figure.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Best wishes from the uk