or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Demand for Apple's next iPhone at an 'unprecedented level'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Demand for Apple's next iPhone at an 'unprecedented level'

post #1 of 110
Thread Starter 
A new survey of consumers has found that a record number of people indicated they are "likely" to buy Apple's next iPhone, expected to launch later this year.

ChangeWave's latest survey, conducted in June and released on Monday, found that 14 percent of consumers indicated they are "very likely" to buy a so-called "iPhone 5." Another 17 percent of people said they are "somewhat likely" to buy Apple's next iPhone.

"The biggest finding of the survey is the unprecedented level of advanced demand for the next generation Apple iPhone (i.e., the 'iPhone 5') — which based on these survey numbers easily dwarfs the advance demand of any previous iPhone launch," ChangeWave said.

Last October, 10 percent of consumers said they were "very likely" to buy an iPhone 4S, while 11.5 percent identified themselves as "somewhat likely." The iPhone 4S went on to have a record breaking debut, resulting in sales of 37 million iPhones during the holiday 2011 launch quarter.

ChangeWave's latest data is based on a poll of 4,042 primarily North American consumers. Those polled were told that Apple's next-generation iPhone is likely to launch later this year with a larger screen, improved camera, new iOS 6 operating system, and 4G LTE capability, all at the same price points of the current iPhone 4S.

ChangeWave


The latest poll also found good news for Samsung, with 19 percent of customers indicating they plan to buy a Samsung smartphone in the next 90 days. That demand has been driven largely by the recent release of the Galaxy S III, Samsung's latest flagship Android smartphone.

Specific to the Galaxy S III, 2 percent of respondents said they are "very likely" to buy Samsung's latest handset, while 7 percent said they are "somewhat likely." The top reason for buyers to choose the Galaxy S III was "the size and quality of screen," which accounted for 15 percent of anticipated sales.

ChangeWave


While the survey shows positive results for Apple and Samsung, other handset makers have continued to flounder. Interest in Motorola devices was down two percentage points to 4 percent, HTC was unchanged at 3 percent, and RIM remains stuck at its all-time low of 2 percent. Finnish smartphone maker Nokia saw a slight uptick of one-point, but remains low at just 2 percent.
post #2 of 110
I would think 59% saying they are unlikely to get an iphone 5 is more unprecedented than the 14% number. But perception is reality I suppose...Nice spin.

Btw, I'm getting "the rich text editor is not compatible with your browser" message. Ironic, because I'm using Safari on my iPad.
post #3 of 110

Well I'll be definitley getting one as my iPhone 4 is now out of contract and getting a bit long in the tooth (not slow as such, but noticably slower than my iPad 3 for some things I do a lot) so I'm waiting (im)patiently for the new one to arrive so I can upgrade... Just need to see pricing and capacity options to work out exactly which one I'll go for.

 

The iPhone 4 will probably be going to my mum... 

post #4 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim Soofi View Post

I would think 59% saying they are unlikely to get an iphone 5 is more unprecedented than the 14% number. But perception is reality I suppose...Nice spin.

 

If you take a look at the numbers they provided for last year in the same category, the 59% number is down from 71% so, to me, it doesn't appear to be spin.

post #5 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim Soofi View Post
Btw, I'm getting "the rich text editor is not compatible with your browser" message. Ironic, because I'm using Safari on my iPad.

 

How is that 'ironic'?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #6 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim Soofi View Post

I would think 59% saying they are unlikely to get an iphone 5 is more unprecedented than the 14% number. But perception is reality I suppose...Nice spin.
Btw, I'm getting "the rich text editor is not compatible with your browser" message. Ironic, because I'm using Safari on my iPad.

It's no spin at all. The data are simply: (i) comparisons with the same metrics for iPhone 4s from last year (and anyone who was not on another planet can surely recall the frenzied success that that the previous model was); and (ii) comparisons with other new offerings using a similar metric.

I think that demand for this year's iPhone will be, indeed, off the charts.
post #7 of 110

An Apple fan site that is not compatible with an Apple device is a bit Ironic.....
 

post #8 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

An Apple fan site that is not compatible with an Apple device is a bit Ironic.....

 

Agreed, it totally sucks on iPad!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #9 of 110
The tech sites kee shoving Galaxy S III estimated sales in our face. I can't wait for the new iPhone to come out and put those sales figures to shame.
post #10 of 110
I'll be getting my wife one as soon as they are available just so I can have her 4s cast off! I am still on her last cast off, a 3Gs. I don't really need a good phone but she is a Realtor and obviously does,.

My question is do I go with Verizon for the new one or stay with AT&T? I bought her an iPad v3 recently on Verizon simply due to the better 4Gs coverage up the eastern seaboard we travel often but will it make any difference to an iPhone used 99% of the time in central west Florida? Any user experience of comparing the two? She has a grandfathered in unlimited plan with AT&T although I doubt she ever needed it.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #11 of 110

Even my lo-tech boss, who I convinced to get an iPhone 3G years ago, and still has it, is looking forward to the 5.

post #12 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


Agreed, it totally sucks on iPad!


But the commenters are great ;)

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #13 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

How is that 'ironic'?

 

Wow! Something other than 'iPhone 5' actually caught your attention!! I think it is 'ironic' because he is not sure what ironic is.

post #14 of 110

Wow, this is truly unbelievable given that the iPhone 5 is so disappointing in terms of design.

post #15 of 110

It would be more useful if they re-interviewed those from the Oct 2011 survey to see how many "very likely" tuned into purchases so we could gauge the accuracy of this research.

 

I simply don't believe any of these type of surveys. I'm sure the iPhone 5 will break all records and sell more than the previous model just like the 4S did, the 4 did, the 3GS did, etc, etc.

post #16 of 110

Though there are certainly a large number of people who upgrade their phone every year, I would think the larger majority of people are on a 2-year upgrade cycle.  If we assume that's the case, I wonder which is the larger install base of existing users-  the "tick" of iPhone-->3GS-->4S users or the "tock" of 3G-->4-->this year's model users.  So besides attracting new users, the higher number may also be because there just happens to be more turnover this year than in the "tick" years.  I'm happily in the group that is upgrading this year (as is my wife).

post #17 of 110

My big question will be what effect the 4G capability will have on the data plans. I have four iPhones (2 iPhone 4 and 2 iPhone 4s) devices that are grandfathered into the unlimited family data plan with AT&T. As I understand AT&T will not have an unlimited option for 4G. In that case I'm not sure what happens with the family plan etc. I may have to look at all of the carriers to see which one would work best for us.

post #18 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post

Wow, this is truly unbelievable given that the iPhone 5 is so disappointing in terms of design.

Judging a phone that it's not officially unveiled yet makes me remember how people are disappointed with iPhone 4 when gizmodo leaked it.

 

Then when it launched it sells well, got great reviews despite of the deathgrip and STILL the best phone design that is undoubtedly better than any phones out there.

post #19 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post
Wow, this is truly unbelievable given that the iPhone 5 is so disappointing in terms of design.

 

Wow, this is truly unbelievable given that you have absolutely no clue what the 6th iPhone looks like in any capacity.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingdots View Post
Judging a phone that it's not officially unveiled yet makes me remember how people are disappointed with iPhone 4 when gizmodo leaked it.

 

Bingo.

 

Quote:

…got great reviews despite of the death grip… 

 

And that's just because it didn't exist.

 

Quote:
 and STILL the best phone design that is undoubtedly better than any phones out there.

 

Exactly! I don't understand why people say they "hate" the design we've been seeing, since they loved the iPhone 4 design.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #20 of 110

So 17% of people are somewhat likely to buy the iPhone 5? Well then that 17% should already own a fifth generation iPhone.

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #21 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealg View Post

 

If you take a look at the numbers they provided for last year in the same category, the 59% number is down from 71% so, to me, it doesn't appear to be spin.

 

Keep in mind...The previous survey was done in October 2011. The iPhone 4S was announced in...October 2011.

The new numbers shown in this article represent a survey taken in June 2012, without any announcement of an iPhone 5.

 

If an accurate comparison should be made on the demand level, it would be logical to take the survey in the same timeframe/milestone.

 

However, another important factor should be kept in mind. The previous survey demonstrates people were disappointed with the 'minor' upgrades made to the 4S over the 4, and this representation is clear in the previous numbers. Now, when the iPhone 5 is announced, with major upgrades over the 4S, the numbers will obviously be significantly better. Things like a major redesign, 4G LTE, iOS6, etc...will contribute to mass upgrades and more appeal.

 

For this reason, the 14% likely to upgrade, even with all of the 'major' upgrade rumors flying around, is what should considered unprecedented. This number seems extremely low, and contributes to the survey's inaccuracy even more IMHO.

 

Again, take the survey at the same time as the previous survey...after the official announcement.


Edited by Asim Soofi - 7/23/12 at 6:59am
post #22 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Even my lo-tech boss, who I convinced to get an iPhone 3G years ago, and still has it, is looking forward to the 5.

Yeah... Pretty much all our current blackberry users will switch this time around. Might be 20% hold-outs for another year though. Nothing but iPhone is under consideration.
post #23 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post
Might be 20% hold-outs for another year though.

 

You need to tell them that the company won't be around in a year.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #24 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'll be getting my wife one as soon as they are available just so I can have her 4s cast off! I am still on her last cast off, a 3Gs. I don't really need a good phone but she is a Realtor and obviously does,.

 

LOL! That's how it works in our household as well - my old 2g and the 3GS that I'm currently using were both hand-me-downs from my dear wife, though to be fair she did "downgrade" back to her old Nokia and let me use the 2G prior to getting the 3GS. She is currently on the 4 (not 4s). One of us will upgrade to the 5 when it comes out - if it's me then I think she will be content to stay with her 4 (assuming that the flaky home button can be fixed). If she wants the 5 then I will probably get a 4s for the better camera. Yes, the camera in the 4 is already a huge upgrade over my 3GS, however it does have some flaws that bug me (such as poor white balance and unnatural looking colours in some types of lighting conditions). These flaws do appear to be resolved in the 4s - if so, then it would totally replace the need to carry a compact camera.

 

That said, if APPL hits $1000 by the end of this year as I predicted, then both of us are getting 5's. :D

post #25 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim Soofi View Post

I would think 59% saying they are unlikely to get an iphone 5 is more unprecedented than the 14% number. But perception is reality I suppose...Nice spin.

 

This just in: 31% of "primarily North American consumers" is a huge market.

 

Motogoogle only wishes they could generate that level of interest...


Edited by John.B - 7/23/12 at 7:26am

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #26 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

Though there are certainly a large number of people who upgrade their phone every year, I would think the larger majority of people are on a 2-year upgrade cycle.  If we assume that's the case, I wonder which is the larger install base of existing users-  the "tick" of iPhone-->3GS-->4S users or the "tock" of 3G-->4-->this year's model users.  So besides attracting new users, the higher number may also be because there just happens to be more turnover this year than in the "tick" years.  I'm happily in the group that is upgrading this year (as is my wife).

 

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of those numbers by current iPhone version, esp. the number of people still holding on to a 3GS (because they passed on the 4S)...

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #27 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

Though there are certainly a large number of people who upgrade their phone every year, I would think the larger majority of people are on a 2-year upgrade cycle.  If we assume that's the case, I wonder which is the larger install base of existing users-  the "tick" of iPhone-->3GS-->4S users or the "tock" of 3G-->4-->this year's model users.  So besides attracting new users, the higher number may also be because there just happens to be more turnover this year than in the "tick" years.  I'm happily in the group that is upgrading this year (as is my wife).

 

That is a very good question. However, one thing to consider is that here in China iPhone users are likely to upgrade every year, even those who signed up for 2yr plans. Given that the 5 is expected to have a design change, then there will be even greater uptake here (compared with those upgrading from the 4 to 4s) as the iPhone is definitely a status symbol here and the Chinese like to show-off their so-called status.

post #28 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

An Apple fan site that is not compatible with an Apple device is a bit Ironic.....
 

 

Not sure if "ironic" is really the best word.  How about plain old "stupid."  

 

The AppleInsider web forums, one of the key places for the latest Apple news has somehow adopted a forum format (after years and years of never changing at all), that is incompatible not only with iPads and iPhones, but with regular desktop Macs as well, each using the default browser, Safari.  

 

It's difficult to use, has less options and less utility than the previous version, and only works at all if you have Java turned on (yuck), and tracking cookies enabled.  As a product, the only reason to use it is that it has features that the old version didn't have (avatars among other things), but these features that would differentiate it from the old version are all turned off by the admin anyway.  

 

What I don't understand is that the forum users (presumably at least some of the people the site is actually built for), have been complaining vociferously and loudly since the day they implemented the new system and still absolutely nothing is done.  

 

How much longer do we have to use this broken POS before some lazy-ass fool at AppleInsider decides to fix it?  

post #29 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
…but with regular desktop Macs as well, each using the default browser, Safari.  

 

In what way? As of a few days ago, it works fine with Safari 6 and has always worked with previous versions. A mobile version (I dread to think what that actually means) is coming soon.

 

…only works at all if you have Java turned on (yuck), and tracking cookies enabled.

 

That's not true, though.

 

Quote:
but these features that would differentiate it from the old version are all turned off by the admin anyway.  

 

Hey, request that they be turned on in the Feedback section! If it's something that we can do and enough people want it, we might do it. I don't know of any features offhand like that that weren't in vBulletin, anyway. We had them turned off then, too. Do you have something specific in mind?

 

Quote:

How much longer do we have to use this broken POS before some lazy-ass fool at AppleInsider decides to fix it?

 

Given that we have no control over it, your complaint isn't with us. Huddler handles everything.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #30 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim Soofi View Post

I would think 59% saying they are unlikely to get an iphone 5 is more unprecedented than the 14% number. But perception is reality I suppose...Nice spin.
Btw, I'm getting "the rich text editor is not compatible with your browser" message. Ironic, because I'm using Safari on my iPad.

 

Take another look.  Last year it was 21% likely to buy an iPhone, this year it's 31%.  And these people responding are "anyone", meaning Android, iPhone, dumb phone, etc. owners.  31% of the US population is about 100 Million!  Apple sold more than that many iPhones, but to sell 100 million in the US alone is unprecedented.  

 

Also, it's likely that the iPhone will finally be available for China's largest mobile carriers which has more subscribers than there are American People by more than double, that's 655 Million cell phone users at China Mobile alone!  (There's less than 314 million Americans period.)

post #31 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim Soofi View Post

 

Again, take the survey at the same time as the previous survey...after the official announcement.

I have no doubt that someone will.

post #32 of 110

I think its pretty safe to say there is "high" demand for the next iPhone, without having to try put a percentage on it and monetize already. It will outsell the iPhone 4S launch, lets just leave it at that. Production started early and on time, so Apple is well aware of the increase size in demand over the last launch and is preparing accordingly.

 

Everyone can relax.

post #33 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Given that we have no control over it, your complaint isn't with us. Huddler handles everything.

Really? What prompted the switch to this disaster of an interface? Why not simply switch back, and tell whoever "Huddler" is to take a hike?

post #34 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Not sure if "ironic" is really the best word.  How about plain old "stupid."  

 

The AppleInsider web forums, one of the key places for the latest Apple news has somehow adopted a forum format (after years and years of never changing at all), that is incompatible not only with iPads and iPhones, but with regular desktop Macs as well, each using the default browser, Safari.  

 

It's difficult to use, has less options and less utility than the previous version, and only works at all if you have Java turned on (yuck), and tracking cookies enabled.  As a product, the only reason to use it is that it has features that the old version didn't have (avatars among other things), but these features that would differentiate it from the old version are all turned off by the admin anyway.  

 

What I don't understand is that the forum users (presumably at least some of the people the site is actually built for), have been complaining vociferously and loudly since the day they implemented the new system and still absolutely nothing is done.  

 

How much longer do we have to use this broken POS before some lazy-ass fool at AppleInsider decides to fix it?  

 

 

I think you have Java RunTime Engine confused with Java Script.  They are completely different, one runs the programing language developed by Oracle Corporation (designed by Sun Microsystems), and the other is a scripting language developed by Mozilla Foundation (and Netscape Communications Corporation).

 

I believe all browsers have JavaScript.  My Mac doesn't even have JRE (Java RunTime Engine), it's not installed by default since Snow Leopard (or Lion?).  And I can use all the features in the Forum just fine.  Safari 6 runs the ECMAScript with only 6 errors out of 11570 JavaScript tests, the best of any browser!  Chrome does quite well too, failing only 11 tests.  IE failed 611 tests, but the new pre-release version (IE 10.0) failed only 7 tests, strange for Microsoft to make a browser to work almost as well.

 

This is the site to test your JavaScripts: ECMAScript Test262

post #35 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trblzr View Post

My big question will be what effect the 4G capability will have on the data plans. I have four iPhones (2 iPhone 4 and 2 iPhone 4s) devices that are grandfathered into the unlimited family data plan with AT&T. As I understand AT&T will not have an unlimited option for 4G. In that case I'm not sure what happens with the family plan etc. I may have to look at all of the carriers to see which one would work best for us.
Your grandfathered unlimited continues with the 4G LTE phones even though new customers can't get that deal. For as long as you keep paying the bill you will never lose your grandfathered unlimited service no matter how many new phones you graduate to.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #36 of 110

Actually it's quite clear from the leaked components what the iPhone 5/6 (whatever you call it) is going to look like, and it's totally unimpressive. The iPhone 4 design was fantastic 2 years ago, but the competition has moved on to create phones with slimmer designs and larger screens. Vertically expanding the iPhone 4 chassis to accommodate a larger 16:9 display is just going to make Apple look like it is stagnating. Expectations are high for Apple, with a large window for disappointment.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Wow, this is truly unbelievable given that you have absolutely no clue what the 6th iPhone looks like in any capacity.

 

 

 

Bingo.

 

And that's just because it didn't exist.

 

 

Exactly! I don't understand why people say they "hate" the design we've been seeing, since they loved the iPhone 4 design.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Wow, this is truly unbelievable given that you have absolutely no clue what the 6th iPhone looks like in any capacity.

 

 

 

Bingo.

 

And that's just because it didn't exist.

 

 

Exactly! I don't understand why people say they "hate" the design we've been seeing, since they loved the iPhone 4 design.

post #37 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim Soofi View Post

I would think 59% saying they are unlikely to get an iphone 5 is more unprecedented than the 14% number...
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

This just in: 31% of "primarily North American consumers" is a huge market.

Motogoogle only wishes they could generate that level of interest...
41%

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #38 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post
Actually it's quite clear from the leaked components…

 

Whose authenticity is unverified…

 

Quote:

…what the iPhone 5/6 (whatever you call it) is going to look like…

 

Despite none of us actually knowing…

 

Quote:
The iPhone 4 design was fantastic 2 years ago, but the competition has moved on to create phones with slimmer designs and larger screens.

 

And look what that did to their battery life. And guess which phone still outsells all of them. Any questions?

 

Quote:
Vertically expanding the iPhone 4 chassis to accommodate a larger 16:9 display is just going to make Apple look like it is stagnating.

 

Less than 1% of people actually think redesigning the MacBook Pro/iMac/Mac Mini matters in any way.

 

A number of people that can be counted on one person's digits think that redesigning the Mac Pro matters in any way.

 

No one really thinks Apple is stagnating if they keep the same design of something.

 

Quote:
Expectations are high for Apple, with a large window for disappointment.

 

~Well, THAT has never happened before with an Apple product launch, so I imagine Apple will fail like they always do.~

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #39 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

Though there are certainly a large number of people who upgrade their phone every year, I would think the larger majority of people are on a 2-year upgrade cycle.  If we assume that's the case, I wonder which is the larger install base of existing users-  the "tick" of iPhone-->3GS-->4S users or the "tock" of 3G-->4-->this year's model users.  So besides attracting new users, the higher number may also be because there just happens to be more turnover this year than in the "tick" years.  I'm happily in the group that is upgrading this year (as is my wife).
I've been thinking that as well. The 4 was a huge success and all of them are due for an upgrade. LTE alone will be enough for most to upgrade but the addition of other new features should sway a lot of consumers into buying a new iPhone this fall.
Edited by blackbook - 7/23/12 at 8:55am
post #40 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post

Actually it's quite clear from the leaked components what the iPhone 5/6 (whatever you call it) is going to look like, and it's totally unimpressive. The iPhone 4 design was fantastic 2 years ago, but the competition has moved on to create phones with slimmer designs and larger screens. Vertically expanding the iPhone 4 chassis to accommodate a larger 16:9 display is just going to make Apple look like it is stagnating. Expectations are high for Apple, with a large window for disappointment.


Most consumers buy iPhones on the merits of quality and ease of use. Design is probably not as high on their list and there is a bit of status and prestige in owning an iPhone. Same reason why BMW and MB don't have to put out radical designs all the time because they have sterling brand images and are known for high quality parts and materials.

For me the fact that the iPhone is made of metal and glass feels more premium than a Samsung made of plastic no matter what the design looks like.

Anyway. Aside from design we can expect the next iPhone to have a bigger screen, LTE connectivity, and a slimmer form factor and thats more than the 4S had yet its still outselling new androids on the market.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Demand for Apple's next iPhone at an 'unprecedented level'