or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon set to introduce 'five or six' new Kindle Fire models - report

Amazon set to introduce 'five or six' new Kindle Fire models - report - Page 2

post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

If we're talking SKUs, Amazon could add 6 models of Kindle Fire quite easily just with a variation of 3/4G option, color and storage sizes.

Yes, color options was the first thing that came to my mind as well: completely easy and since it would be a variation on the book publishers printing multiple cover art: quite familiar to them already as a tactic.

post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sorry, "it would be terrible to use and worse at absolutely everything the iPad does than the iPad". Better?

In YOUR opinion. Lots of people disagree with you.

So why is your opinion more valid than anyone else's?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #43 of 63
Quote:

The iPad already is. The "mini" serves no purpose.

Better portability is a "purpose".

post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I know you're only posting because I trounced you in a previous thread when you started to make stupid statements so why make the same mistake again by starting off a comment with "WRONG !!" It just makes you sound stupid.
2) Whether you think it was "half-finished" or not has no barring on my comment or the verifiable history of successful device releases. People said the iPod, iPhone and iPad were all "half-finished" when first release because it didn't have this or that that was available by other vendors or deemed essential to be useful by anyone for any task at any cost. Yet the market has spoken and Apple dominates all these areas. Apple has also systematically added features and improved their devices YoY just as Amazon has done with the Kindle. Is there a better eReader device than the Kindle? is there another company that dominates the eReader market? No, and yet your comment would lead us to believe that because the first Kindle was shit that all the others should have been shit, too. Bottom line: Amazon is growing the brand in the proper way if they increase the HW features of the Kindle Fire this year.

There you go again.  You are the one who is coming across as stupid.  Like you always do.  Because you just make stuff up !!  I don't recall anybody saying that the iPod, iPhone and iPad were all "half-finished" when first released.  In fact, it was clear to anyone with reasonable intelligence that these Apple products would succeed like crazy.  And they did !!

As for Amazon, their B&W Kindle "eReaders" are fine for the purpose of reading eBooks.  The Kindle Fire was designed to be a tablet, not just an "eReader."  At which it has failed.  

Why doesn't Amazon release sales figures for the Kindle Fire?  What does it have to hide?  Miserable sales?

post #45 of 63

I keep hearing about the Nexus 7 out of stock, flying off the shelves, etc. Has Google or Asus released any sales figures?  We heard the same thing about the Kindle Fire when it first released.  There was all this buzz around it and how Apple would have to respond, but less than 6 months later all the talk is about the Nexus 7.  I'd be curious to know how many people were thinking of buying an iPad but decided to purchase the Nexus 7 instead.  My guess is the Nexus 7 is taking sales away from the Kindle Fire, Transformer Prime, Galaxy Tab, etc. and not the iPad.  Or is being bought by gadget geeks who always need to have the latest toy.  I'll bet once (if) the Surface ships all the buzz will be around that and the Nexus 7 will be forgotten.

post #46 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post
I don't recall anybody saying that the iPod, iPhone and iPad were all "half-finished" when first released.

So would you like me to show you this scan I have of a magazine review of the first iPod, or should I just link you to the MacRumors thread from October 2001 with their reactions?

We can go either way.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #47 of 63
Quote:

So would you like me to show you this scan I have of a magazine review of the first iPod, or should I just link you to the MacRumors thread from October 2001 with their reactions?

We can go either way.

Out of curiosity I'd like to see both if it isn't too much trouble.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #48 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Wasn't it Target that announced they were dropping all Kindle products because they were tired of being used as Amazons showroom

You are correct. http://www.forbes.com/sites/timothylee/2012/05/03/target-pulls-kindles-off-shelves-in-retaliation-for-showrooming/

post #49 of 63
Quote:

We can go either way.

Or how the iPhone doesn't have copy/paste or how the iPad is just an oversized iPod Touch that can't do basic things that Win tablets can do.

He then goes on to make asinine comments about the Kindle Fire must be a failure and eluding to Amazon could never make it a viable product (while ignoring all my points) because Amazon hasn't released sales figured. It could be true that it's not selling well but he also stated the Kindle eInk devices are "fine" yet he has a mental disconnect with Amazon never once releasing those sale figures.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Wasn't it Target that announced they were dropping all Kindle products because they were tired of being used as Amazons showroom

Ah, I think you're correct, Charlituna. Target is expanding iPad and others selection... Well... perhaps Best Buy, et al?

post #51 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

"Barely able to keep in stock" could either mean high demand or low production. Since Google doesn't announce sales, you have no way of knowing which.
In the end, it will be much like the Kindle Fire. Lots of initial sales from people who think the iPad is too expensive - followed by lots of disappointed customers. Read the reviews. The essence of most of them seems to be "it's UI is worse than the iPad, the software selection is worse than the iPad, the screen is worse than the iPad, and the build quality is worse than the iPad, but it's only $199, so who cares?" Of the dozen or so reviews I've read, none of them says it's a great product - just an acceptable product.
If Apple releases a 7" iPad, even at $299, it will destroy Nexus 7" tablet sales.

Can you point out those reviews?

Here is a review from a known apple fan boy who liked nothing pre nexus 7.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/15/omg-he-likes-it-he-really-likes-it/

Though I read it more like apple should release a 7" ipad

post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Can you point out those reviews?

Here is a review from a known apple fan boy who liked nothing pre nexus 7.
http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/15/omg-he-likes-it-he-really-likes-it/

Though I read it more like apple should release a 7" ipad

That's very much the intent of the article.

But, yes, you found one reasonably positive review of the Nexus 7. Congratulations.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #53 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Out of curiosity I'd like to see both if it isn't too much trouble.

Great, now I have to go find that MacRumors thread. lol.gif Here we go.

And I can't find that dang scan. To paraphrase, HEY I FOUND IT.

Click for larger. Because Huddler refuses to show full size images, as of a few days ago. 

post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's very much the intent of the article.
But, yes, you found one reasonably positive review of the Nexus 7. Congratulations.

but where are those bad reviews that you stated?

post #55 of 63
Quote:

Great, now I have to go find that MacRumors thread. lol.gif  Here we go.

And I can't find that dang scan. To paraphrase, HEY I FOUND IT.

Click for larger. Because Huddler refuses to show full size images, as of a few days ago. 

[images]

Great find. I only read the first of 6 pages but this comment about the iPod stuck out as being very AppleGreen-ish, "I'd call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time...and it's not really functional."
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/23/12 at 4:44pm

post #56 of 63
Quote:
Great find. I only read the first of 6 pages but this comment about the iPod stuck out as being very AppleGreen-ish, "I'd call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time...and it's not really functional."

Hey, I have a review of the Cube, too! lol.gif

post #57 of 63
Quote:

Great, now I have to go find that MacRumors thread. lol.gif  Here we go.
Gold mine. 1biggrin.gif. Now we know why Steve and Jony were so against focus groups. lol.gif
post #58 of 63
Quote:

Here's another gem: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=580494
post #59 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Here's another gem: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=580494

These old threads are entertainment gems. I only wish there was a program that could make it easier to find.

Here is a great comment from a MR poster right after the iPhone was announced in 2007. "It'll be interesting to look back on this thread in a few years, much like we do today with the famous Thread #500, and see how people's gut reactions match up with reality." ~WildCowboy, Jan 9, 2007, 01:06 PM

The thread does start out fairly positive on the iPhone, as it should be because it was so revolutionary, but remember it's MR and there are 41 pages. The shortsighted anger will creep in if you keep reading. I bet the real hatred was on Moto, Nokia, Blackberry, and Palm forums about what a crap device it was.

edit: Here is a great gem detailing why the iPhone can't possibly succeed in a world where something as awesome as the Nokia N95 exists.

Edited by SolipsismX - 7/23/12 at 6:49pm

post #60 of 63
Quote:

These old threads are entertainment gems. I only wish there was a program that could make it easier to find.
Here is a great comment from a MR poster right after the iPhone was announced in 2007. "It'll be interesting to look back on this thread in a few years, much like we do today with the famous Thread #500, and see how people's gut reactions match up with reality." ~WildCowboy, Jan 9, 2007, 01:06 PM The thread does start out fairly positive on the iPhone, as it should be because it was so revolutionary, but remember it's MR and there are 41 pages. The shortsighted anger will creep in if you keep reading. I bet the real hatred was on Moto, Nokia, Blackberry, and Palm forums about what a crap device it was.
They need to rename that site MacWhine.com or AnyOneButMac.com as lately it's full of know it alls who have to prove that whatever Apple does/did was conceived or done before Apple did it. Sony Vaio created the Ultrabook market, iPhone was just a copy of LG Prada, multi-touch devices were being prototyped in 2006, there were tablet concepts going back to the 90s, blah blah blah. lol.gif
post #61 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yea i think it's on the way. B&N just released a backlit eInk Nook.

Yes, I've heard the rumor. I think it's a feature worth upgrading to if they do it right (i.e., battery life is still usable, unlike the first-generation PDAs with backlights from the 90s). Kindle eInk sorely needs it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #62 of 63
Quote:

Here is a great comment from a MR poster right after the iPhone was announced in 2007. "It'll be interesting to look back on this thread in a few years, much like we do today with the famous Thread #500, and see how people's gut reactions match up with reality." ~WildCowboy, Jan 9, 2007, 01:06 PM The thread does start out fairly positive on the iPhone, as it should be because it was so revolutionary, but remember it's MR and there are 41 pages. The shortsighted anger will creep in if you keep reading. I bet the real hatred was on Moto, Nokia, Blackberry, and Palm forums about what a crap device it was.
edit: Here is a great gem detailing why the iPhone can't possibly succeed in a world where something as awesome as the Nokia N95 exists.

Whatever happened to "widget suppo?
post #63 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post I'd be curious to know how many people were thinking of buying an iPad but decided to purchase the Nexus 7 instead.

Count me as one. I'm still going to wait until the end of September to see what Apple creates in the smaller format.

Actual user reviews of the Nexus 7 are starting to come out on Youtube. These aren't the professional people who got their devices at Google I/O. By September any real bugs in the Nexus 7 will be known. Software fixes might be out too.

The Google Play ecosystem will grow. Google needs to implement a really good long term strategy to service their customers so that compatibility issues won't creep in over time. It isn't so much fun to have a device that doesn't play well with the latest apps.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Amazon set to introduce 'five or six' new Kindle Fire models - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon set to introduce 'five or six' new Kindle Fire models - report