or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple to release Mountain Lion Wednesday on Mac App Store

Apple to release Mountain Lion Wednesday on Mac App Store - Page 2

post #41 of 95

I'm getting in line for it right NOW!

post #42 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtwister View Post
I'm getting in line for it right NOW!

When you tell me how to get in line for a digital product, you let me know. There are no physical copies of Mountain Lion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post
And it took me forever to get used to the new scrolling (many years of conditioning to overcome.)

You can turn that off. It's the first thing I did when I installed Lion DP 1 and the first thing I did when I installed Mountain Lion DP 1.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #43 of 95
Again, I disagree. Lion has been bad for me. It hasn't crashed as much LATELY, but apps need a Force Quit far too often. It does not always restart, which I have to do when I force quit some apps, because when I try to restart them, it will say it is already running. I have to hold the Power Button in to have it shutdown and then press it again to restart.

I've used Disk Utility, etc.

I JUST downloaded Lion from the App Store and reinstalled it. Maybe that's what I needed.

But, I'm NOT the only one (there have been MANY complaints, and yes, even by people on here who are regarded as computer savvy) that Lion is not as stable as the wonderful Snow Leopard was.

I like the updates to the features in Lion, and will enjoy the newer ones in Mountain Lion, but will NOT enjoy Mountain Lion as much if it is not as stable as Snow Leopard was, at least after 10.8.2 or so for ML.
post #44 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When you tell me how to get in line for a digital product, you let me know. There are no physical copies of Mountain Lion.

Right around the block to the line for sarcasm.

post #45 of 95
Quote:

That's not what sarcasm is.

post #46 of 95
Quote:
And it took me forever to get used to the new scrolling (many years of conditioning to overcome.)

Come on, it only takes a few minutes to get used to it, with incidental mistakes. I wanted to turn it off when I upgraded after initial concerns, but when I noticed that it’s the same thing on my iPhone, I just left it on default. Of course it feels a bit strange at first, but nothing you cannot overcome in a short time. I notice this when I occasionally sit behind friends’ computers that don’t have this, and even there I switch back quite easily, after making a few mistakes. Which way you prefer depends on several reasons, but I think that the learning curve is not really one of them.

post #47 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by KALLT View Post
Of course it feels a bit strange at first…

Because it's wrong… The iPhone way works with direct contact. You don't have that in OS X, so it's just backward.

post #48 of 95

Yes.  Was wondering about that, but since I mostly DL music, I wasn't worrying too much about it...

post #49 of 95

For me ML is noticeably faster than Lion. I finally feel what I felt with SL again.

I love the new dock.

There is no easy way to do a clean install though, but apparently it's just a myth and it will run very well even without it.

post #50 of 95

I have a new retina display MacBook and am living in the future (it is already Wednesday afternoon here) — and I am wondering if and when I will get the promised free upgrade. Nothing has appeared in the app store as yet — and I am wondering if it will instead come in the software update panel. 

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #51 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

I have a new retina display MacBook and am living in the future (it is already Wednesday afternoon here) — and I am wondering if and when I will get the promised free upgrade. Nothing has appeared in the app store as yet — and I am wondering if it will instead come in the software update panel. 

http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

post #52 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

sflocal, I asked how it runs compared to Lion and so far I've heard nothing but positive results.

Personally I'm so sick of the sluggish crash happy Lion this may be the first time I install an OS before a .1 update.  With that said I'm going to wait a few days just to make sure nothing blows-up with VMware etc..  If there are no improvements in ML Server I'll be downgrading my mini back to Snow Leopard.  I spend more time trying to figure out how to fix things than anything else....

There are some things I dislike about Lion, but it has never crashed on me. 

post #53 of 95
Quote:

You can turn that off. It's the first thing I did when I installed Lion DP 1 and the first thing I did when I installed Mountain Lion DP 1.

I figured that someday the option would disappear, so I decided to go cold turkey.

Quote:

Come on, it only takes a few minutes to get used to it, with incidental mistakes. I wanted to turn it off when I upgraded after initial concerns, but when I noticed that it’s the same thing on my iPhone, I just left it on default. Of course it feels a bit strange at first, but nothing you cannot overcome in a short time. I notice this when I occasionally sit behind friends’ computers that don’t have this, and even there I switch back quite easily, after making a few mistakes. Which way you prefer depends on several reasons, but I think that the learning curve is not really one of them.

I updated to Lion before I had an iDevice.

I imagine it depends on how your brain works. I have a very visual and body memory oriented brain. It's easy to underestimate the effects of 27 years of conditioning (using the Mac interface.)

If you have a similar cognitive constitution, try rearranging the contents of the drawers in your kitchen to see what I mean. :-)

If you have more of a text/symbolic oriented brain (neuro-normal,) you will never understand *us* (neuro-extranormals.)

Edited by DESuserIGN - 7/24/12 at 7:08pm
post #54 of 95
Quote:

Oh my God! Does that mean this our future then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drf8QucK-yM

Does anyone have a goat I can "borrow?"

post #55 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Hopefully Safari works better. I have found Safari to be incredibly slow with the spinning beach ball and constant "The web page is frozen, click here to reload all your pages, including 3 open youtube videos and other websites where you have to log back in" errors. 

It's still better than FireFox, and Google Chrome I have not been impressed with for the Mac (it reminds me of IE for Windows)

My biggest complaint with Safari is it is the only browser that doesn't let users put the tabs on top. Tabs on top are better because it looks neater and takes up less space. Apple made a mistake taking that option away. 

post #56 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post
Tabs on top are better because it looks neater and takes up less space. Apple made a mistake taking that option away. 

I think it looks pretty terrible. And how do you move the window with them like that?

I also hate Safari 6's tabs… You'll see.

post #57 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

There are some things I dislike about Lion, but it has never crashed on me. 

I've not had crash problems with Lion crashing, but I've had a lot of problems with iOS. Especially these last few updates and especially with Safari and the new podcast app (but everything has been more sluggish and crashy for the last several updates.

post #58 of 95
Quote:

http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

thanks for this.

post #59 of 95
Quote:

I think it looks pretty terrible. And how do you move the window with them like that?

I also hate Safari 6's tabs… You'll see.

Agree.

I didn't care for it at first, but it has grown on my and I see the superior logic of the way Apple did it.

post #60 of 95
Quote:
Agree.

I didn't care for it at first, but it has grown on my and I see the superior logic of the way Apple did it.

Wait, tabs on top, or the Safari 6 way of tabbing?

post #61 of 95

I don't like  tabs on top (thought that was what you said) I like they way they are now (tabs on bottom.)

I haven't seen Safari 6 so I can't say.

post #62 of 95
Quote:

Oh my God! Does that mean this our future then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drf8QucK-yM

Does anyone have a goat I can "borrow?"

That is hilarious, and yes that is the future. (Surely it is a sheep that you need to borrow.)

post #63 of 95
Quote:
I don't like  tabs on top (thought that was what you said) I like they way they are now (tabs on bottom.)

Ah, I see.

Quote:

I haven't seen Safari 6 so I can't say.

Okay, 1 tab:

2 tabs:

5 tabs:

I HATE THIS. This is not good behavior. Also notice the Tab View button MOVING the New Tab button. That's WRONG.

post #64 of 95
Quote:

That is hilarious, and yes that is the future. (Surely it is a sheep that you need to borrow.)

Regarding the goat, non-traditional I know, but check out some of Jimbo's other videos which include a goat.

Nothing to do with the goat, check out his children's birthday party video (a buddy of mine who does birthday clown gigs turned me on to Jimbo.)

Jimbo is a strange and wonderful fusion of Kid's birthday clown/hilarious blue standup comic/Australian Sasha Cohen.

post #65 of 95
Quote:

Ah, I see.

Okay, 1 tab:

2 tabs:

5 tabs:

I HATE THIS. This is not good behavior. Also notice the Tab View button MOVING the New Tab button. That's WRONG.

Ok, yes that's weird.

The moving of the tab view button is moronic.

It ranks with the moronic decision to place the "view in finder button" *LAST* in the list of items in the pop-up folders of the dock. (If you want to see it in a finder window, why should you have to scroll to the bottom every time?)

post #66 of 95

Two questions:

1. Any known compatibility issues with Mountain Lion and Adobe CS5?

2. I have a Core Duo MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard that can't run ML. Will Lion continue to be for sale in the App Store after ML is released?

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #67 of 95
Quote:

Quote:

Of course it feels a bit strange at first…

Because it's wrong… The iPhone way works with direct contact. You don't have that in OS X, so it's just backward.

You sure are quick to point out when people have nothing substantial to back up their "opinions". Your idea that it because one works with direct contact and one doesn't does not make it "wrong".

I didn't like the scrolling at first, changed it back to what was, decided to try it out for a long period, and it is second nature now, and works quite well when going to and from iOS to Mac OS.

So, YOUR experience is obviously different, but MY is not "wrong".

TS. Again, I love a lot of what you have to say, but a LOT of the time, you are so opinionated and downright ornery, without the proof you require of others, that it makes me laugh.

Carry on though. You help keep me coming back. :-)
post #68 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

sflocal, I asked how it runs compared to Lion and so far I've heard nothing but positive results.

Personally I'm so sick of the sluggish crash happy Lion this may be the first time I install an OS before a .1 update.  With that said I'm going to wait a few days just to make sure nothing blows-up with VMware etc..  If there are no improvements in ML Server I'll be downgrading my mini back to Snow Leopard.  I spend more time trying to figure out how to fix things than anything else....

Stick an large SDD in place of the HD get Trim Enabler if older MBP and upgrade to Mountain Lion. I did all this today (I have a dev account so have GM ML) and my mid 2010 MBP i7 is running 10 times faster plus it is silent and cold. Been working sitting up in bed with Mac on lap, normally the battery would be flat by now and I could fry eggs on it. It is stone cold and the battery % has hardly moved. Oh boy am I a happy camper.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #69 of 95
Quote:

Quote:

That's not what sarcasm is.

TS. Then what is sarcasm? As you often point out, making a statement without backup, proof or explanation is a SIN!!!

So, get in line anyway, and grab a metaphor on your way there.

Silly man.
post #70 of 95

I don't get it, seems like a few users have issues with Lion playing up on their system.

I've not had one ounce of problem with Lion or with Snow Leopard before that. Would be interesting to see some of these setups which have problems with Lion, I think part of some of the problem is that there could be too many tweaks and/or customization of individuals systems, be it hard ware or soft ware, causing the OS to play up!

I'll be installing Mountain Lion on our Mini, iMac and MacBook Air without any hesitation! 

post #71 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhard58 View Post

I don't get it, seems like a few users have issues with Lion playing up on their system.
I've not had one ounce of problem with Lion or with Snow Leopard before that. Would be interesting to see some of these setups which have problems with Lion, I think part of some of the problem is that there could be too many tweaks and/or customization of individuals systems, be it hard ware or soft ware, causing the OS to play up!
I'll be installing Mountain Lion on our Mini, iMac and MacBook Air without any hesitation! 

I have a theory that a lot of Lion reported speed issues (not all perhaps but many) are related to the massive increase of internet dependent processes going on compared to Snow Leopard. Anyone with an old Netgear router or running on some slow internet connection would take a massive hit in apparent performance.
post #72 of 95

The only persistent problem I have had with Lion is in copying files from one MacBook to another — with one running SL. The file to be copied is recopied ad nauseum, with the only way of halting it to turn off the machine, then deleting the copies when it is restarted. As a result I now copy files using thumb drives — which has not failed yet, fingers crossed.

post #73 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhard58 View Post

Fairly light use here, but still problems with Lion. And I don't do tweaks/customization in general. Too many problems. I'll only do a tweak if many users report it stable and even then, it won't be a Command Line tweak. I like my Mac OS as stock as possible. The same with my Apps, with a few well-documented Add-ons in Firefox or something like that. Things that are easy to trouble shoot.

But, only a relative few having problems with Lion makes me feel much better about upgrading tomorrow!
post #74 of 95

It's Wednesday. Shouldn't Macworld have a review posted by now?  lol.gif

post #75 of 95

same here… i'll buy once and will install in 7 machines. 

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

post #76 of 95

Nothing here as yet. *continues pacing*

post #77 of 95
Quote:
Nothing here as yet. *continues pacing*

Seriously, doesn't Tim Cook know it has been the 25th here in Australia for 18 1/2 hours!  ;)

post #78 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by senorgreg View Post

Seriously, doesn't Tim Cook know it has been the 25th here in Australia for 18 1/2 hours!  ;)

He's obviously not got his eye on the ball.

post #79 of 95

I think I found a post from last year that indicated that Lion first appeared on the App Store about 10pm Sydney Time, so I am hoping that is the case again...

post #80 of 95

Figures. I just installed 10.7 on a work machine yesterday. My primary machine is still running 10.6. It'll probably take the IT gurus a few months before blessing 10.8, though.

I _really_ need a new machine at home now. I still have a white iMac that won't run 10.7 or 10.8.

- Jasen.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple to release Mountain Lion Wednesday on Mac App Store