or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple's profits rise 20% on sales of 26M iPhones, 17M iPads, and 4M Macs

Apple's profits rise 20% on sales of 26M iPhones, 17M iPads, and 4M Macs - Page 2

post #41 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

to those who mocked Microsoft for missing the revenue its stock only lost 1%..Aapl is tumbling..enjoy :) 

5-year numbers (you know, for people who are actually investors):

MSFT: -6.45%

AAPLE: +336.30

And yes, I have been enjoying it.  Bought most of my AAPL shares when it was at ~$13, and that was before they split.

post #42 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

And iPhone sales are actually UP year over year. The panic is ridiculous. Apple is doing just fine.

I wouldn't worry at all about this, the analysts won't. They'll be scooping up tons of AAPL shares thanks to their missed estimates. I'm looking forward to Apple's stock buyback program. That should temper some of the wild speculation and stock manipulation by these clowns.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #43 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

How much cash is Apple sitting on now, $116 Billion?

$117 with $84(?) overseas.
post #44 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

And yes, I have been enjoying it.  Bought most of my AAPL shares when it was at ~$13, and that was before they split.

You did even better than I did. Congrats.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

And iPhone sales are actually UP year over year. The panic is ridiculous. Apple is doing just fine.

I wouldn't worry at all about this, the analysts won't. They'll be scooping up tons of AAPL shares thanks to their missed estimates. I'm looking forward to Apple's stock buyback program. That should temper some of the wild speculation and stock manipulation by these clowns.

Sounds like a lot of Europe/Euro mainly. (And "Resource based Economies.) Effectively flat YOY.
post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by normang View Post

Always love the glass is half empty people, what an empty life...

If it weren't for the half-emptiers, I'd never have been able to pick up AAPL over the years (at the various reservation prices I've had). They've made me a fair bit of money. So, bless them. lol.gif

post #47 of 79

My take on the numbers

Numbers were just ok. About 20% growth on revenues and earnings. Maybe part of the issue is the bigger you get, the harder it is to drive a higher percentage of growth. Beat their own estimates but not the expectations. The guidance showed growing revenue at what looking like about 20% yoy and less than 10% for earnings.

The guidance was ok on revenues and not so ok on earnings. Apple was still fairly light in their guidance for the just reported quarter so I would expect that they will beat their numbers and this quarter will probably look a lot like the just reported quarter, maybe a little less on earnings because they are expecting lower margins.

After hour numbers look like the stock is down about 5% right now. Maybe we will stay in this range unless we hear something different about announced products but the present guidance means we don't see the new iPhone until Apple's first quarter. Maybe Apple won't have such a discounted growth rate. The dividend should also help stabilize the price some.

post #48 of 79

APPLE, MICROSOFT and GOOGLE really need to start paying their fair share of taxes. I understand there are loop holes and such, but when you sit with billions of dollars on hand I think they can afford to pay a higher tax percentage than me.

Edited by Just_Me - 7/24/12 at 3:12pm
post #49 of 79

Don't love your stock too much because the stock doesn't love you. It's a simple equation as always folks: Buy low, sell high. Another earning miss is to be expected this quarter, so AAPL will go down perhaps another  200 bucks to where they were before the crazy uptick of the past 6 months which was for no apparent reason other than something called "euphoria". 

Edited by mcrs - 7/24/12 at 3:17pm
post #50 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post
APPLE, MICROSOFT and GOOGLE really need to start paying their fair share of taxes.

Hey, could we not in this thread, please? If you want to be wrong, be wrong in the established threads about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post
…AAPL will go down perhaps another  200 bucks… 

Wow. It's really sad when my posts that make fun of trolls by hyperbolizing what I think they'll say turn out to be what they actually say.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #51 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, could we not in this thread, please? If you want to be wrong, be wrong in the established threads about this.

Wow. It's really sad when my posts that make fun of trolls by hyperbolizing what I think they'll say turn out to be what they actually say.

You mean like this?

Quote:

APPLE IS DOOMED.

post #52 of 79
Sure makes you wonder whether those amateur analysts were smarter than the professionals, or whether they were simply just bigger Apple fans. Oh wait, no it doesn't. They were always just the latter. They will continue to be more accurate as long as Apple is doing well, and when Apple starts doing more poorly, they will consistently be worse at predictions.
post #53 of 79
Quote:

There you go. It helps to actually have the correct perspective. Well done. 

post #54 of 79
Quote:

The trolls here have nothing on the ones at MR. Tim Cook admitted that the iPhone rumor mill had an effect on sales. Couple that with releases from HTC and Samsung that were heavily pushed on tech sites and it's not surprising at all that iPhone sales were soft. Let's see what the sales of Galaxy S III are in Q4 when the new iPhone comes out.
post #55 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

There you go. It helps to actually have the correct perspective. Well done. 

Here is another

Growth since inception

28818.65% vs 16621.02%

Edited by Just_Me - 7/24/12 at 3:43pm
post #56 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

Another earning miss is to be expected this quarter, so AAPL will go down perhaps another  200 bucks to where they were before the crazy uptick of the past 6 months which was for no apparent reason other than something called "euphoria". 

Bullshit.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #57 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

Let's see what Tim and Co. have to say about this quarter's results.  

I see the trolls are out.  Oh, well....

There's nothing they need to say. The results are fantastic. There's some, however, that have absolutely no fucking perspective. 26 million iPhones and 17 million iPads is now considered a miss? Compared to what, the numbers that analysts pull out of their ass? It definitely isn't a 'miss' compared to every other tech company out there, and every other company on the planet. They would all absolutely kill to have these numbers and profits. Also, the iPad numbers are a record, for a product that has shattered all records already. 

post #58 of 79
Quote:

Bullshit.

agreed. 200 is too much. I would say only 50 more or so for of around 525. I had hoped for 500 before buying again but dont think it will go that low 

post #59 of 79
There is some fanboy ism going on

Yes, Apple beat guidance but it normally beats guidance into a cocked hat.

This is the largest sequential decline in iPhone sales ever, see http://twitter.com/fjeronimo/status/227869743745466368/photo/1

( not my graph)

People on here wrote off RIM in the last few years based on market share decline. Well Apple just posted a 20% drop in units sequentially and Android continues to grow. It is also dropping in ASP, and gross margins have peaked.

The iPhone 5 will drive a lot of iPhone sales but possibly most to existing customers and at most for 2 quarters. It might be heretical but Apple possibly need two updates a year.

Still worth a buy in August before the new stuff comes out b
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #60 of 79
Quote:
You mean like this?

I mean like this: 

(crap, I can't find it. I JUST said "stock will drop $200" less than an hour ago… somewhere…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
The trolls here have nothing on the ones at MR.

So true.

post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Beat their own guidance.

They almost always beat their own guidance. But unless they beat their guidance by 20% or more, it's not good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Don't you see the brokerage house game people?

Set a too high objective, then the stock drops on it's gain because it didn't meet some analyst guess!
Gives the houses a chance to  buy underpriced Apple shares, from those who panic and sell.

Anyway a nice dividend coming for those who ignored the brokerage house game.

Exactly. It happens over and over again. People without a clue shouldn't be investing in the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Sure makes you wonder whether those amateur analysts were smarter than the professionals, or whether they were simply just bigger Apple fans. Oh wait, no it doesn't. They were always just the latter. They will continue to be more accurate as long as Apple is doing well, and when Apple starts doing more poorly, they will consistently be worse at predictions.

On average, the amateurs have been much more accurate than the pros.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

Don't love your stock too much because the stock doesn't love you. It's a simple equation as always folks: Buy low, sell high. Another earning miss is to be expected this quarter, so AAPL will go down perhaps another  200 bucks to where they were before the crazy uptick of the past 6 months which was for no apparent reason other than something called "euphoria". 

So you expect AAPL to drop to the mid- to high- 300's? Care to make a bet? That would put P/E at well below 10 - and more like 6 if you use cash-adjusted P/E. For a growing, extremely profitable market leader, those kinds of numbers would be truly delusional.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #62 of 79

I think at the open of the market tomorrow, AAPL will rocket back from the ridiculous after hours numbers. I'd like to know who's leading the short action on AAPL.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #63 of 79
Quote:

I think at the open of the market tomorrow, AAPL will rocket back from the ridiculous after hours numbers. I'd like to know who's leading the short action on AAPL.

Samsung and Google?

post #64 of 79
Quote:

Samsung and Google?

lol.gif

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #65 of 79
Quote:

lol.gif

Actually I take that back. Google and Samsung make money off Apple. So I would say Moto and HTC.

post #66 of 79

LOL @ the idiot who said it'll drop "$200".

This is the problem with Wall Street. Amateurs in action, not understanding what "fundamentals" even mean, cash on hand, P/E ratio, etc.

Investors, stay along for the ride, buy tactfully, and Apple will continue to make you money in the more calm way possible: Going LONG. Apple is making plenty of money, the stock is undervalued, which means that investors will also make plenty of money.

post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

LOL @ the idiot who said it'll drop "$200".

This is the problem with Wall Street. Amateurs in action, not understanding what "fundamentals" even mean, cash on hand, P/E ratio, etc.

Investors, stay along for the ride, buy tactfully, and Apple will continue to make you money in the more calm way possible: Going LONG. Apple is making plenty of money, the stock is undervalued, which means that investors will also make plenty of money.

LOL thats not Wall Street. You think a single or handful of guys can affect a 1/2 Trillion company.  

post #68 of 79
Quote:

To be fair, MSFT is +6% when you add the dividends paid over that stretch. More if reinvested.
post #69 of 79
I think the time has come for The Global Moderator to be replaced

Let's have more than 10 word sound bites and mocking of any non-conforming opionions. Let's have a better and deeper discussion of the news, challenges and opportunities facing this company

I am getting tired of what AI.com is becomming

I am long AAPL. I am trying to figure out the best path forward for this company

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #70 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

The thing that
really pisses me off though is Huberty was the closest estimate...

You know, the broken clock thing.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #71 of 79
You guys are funny. How many CEOs would sacrifice their offspring to have numbers like that in a year let alone one quarter?
post #72 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You guys are funny. How many CEOs would sacrifice their offspring to have numbers like that in a year let alone one quarter?

That depends on whether they took over the company when it was doing even better than that.

post #73 of 79

Taking all into perspective, especially the global recession we're in and the customer waiting for new models etc .....................the earnings were respectable. These Anal=ists  like Munster & White are just talking out of their hats in their projections.  Lets remember how these anal sits calls were when they start tooting their horn again.

post #74 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I think the time has come for The Global Moderator to be replaced
Let's have more than 10 word sound bites and mocking of any non-conforming opionions. Let's have a better and deeper discussion of the news, challenges and opportunities facing this company
I am getting tired of what AI.com is becomming
I am long AAPL. I am trying to figure out the best path forward for this company

Mostly good points. Two points of dissension: I don't care for replacing the GM, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Mine is that the forum is what it is, because that's how we behave. We, not the GM, are responsible.

I also don't get the part about figuring out the best path forward for Apple or any company you have shares in. Shareholders have zero say and limited knowledge of the best path forward.  So what's the point of "trying to figure it out"? I mean this as condescension but rather out of genuine curiosity.

Edited by Harbinger - 7/24/12 at 7:35pm
post #75 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Horrible quarter based on what? Inflated predictions from wall street analysts? Apple was pretty much on target with their revenue estimates but yet whenever they provide guidance everyone says they're low balling it just so they can blow out the numbers.

Its a horrible quarter based on apple own guidance. Apple has been beating it by a range of 28 to 60% for the last 5 years. They broke that pattern today since they pretty much came right on with guidance. That will change how the street view the next quarter guidance, which is very low.

Of course Apple is doing very well in terms of profitability, but growth is decelerating and it will affect the stock prices in the next few months. Expect heavy PE compression until Apple comes back track. Its a good thing Apple valuation was already so good, it will keep it from going down too much. There will be good opportunity to buy the stock in the next few weeks.
post #76 of 79

I stand corrected with the "euphoria". It is actually more of a "memorabilia chasing" syndrome due to SJ's passing. Basically, people bought Apple's devices because SJ has just passed away. Iphone 4S is a stale product, and its sales number is so high up there only because SJ timed his death quite well. It's sickening what this society has come into, but there it was another example of that appalling behavior of the American society in general.  If you remember Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, John Lennon and Elvis, SJ was such a celebrity. The only thing's that different about SJ, he didn't leave music, costumes or videos like those other celebrities mentioned, but he did leave certain legacy, and its embodiment is I-devices, especially ones being released just around his death. So, there was a blow out numbers of I devices sold in late Q4 2011 and early 2012, but then, like other celebrities, the added excitement of buying SJ's  "memorabilias" subsided, poof....gone. 

Apple market share will erode again in Q4 2012. It will be a saturated quarter filled with new gadgets from everybody under the sun.There will be cheapy and expensive Android's phones and tablets, but wait there will also be cheapy and expensive Windows 8/WP8 phones and devices too.The latter will be even more destructive to Apple's growth curve because corporate people will embrace W8/WP8  as if they are their long lost brothers. Corporate people care less about the so-called ecosystem which sells 200,000 simpleton's software plus music and e-books. All they want is their trillion dollars software investments in the past, be that from Oracle, Microsoft, SAP, CA or others can still be utilized as usual even after acquiring new hardware devices. Corporate people are creatures of habit, they love status quo. And they are already programmed into Windows everywhere for years. That will not change unfortunately. 

So, Apple will be squeezed in the middle between Android and Windows, and it will not be a pretty picture in the next couple of years. Don't start looking for China as the savior because everybody else is also flooding China with their gadgets as well. If you are an Apple long, we are at around the peak of AAPL years, and if you are looking for growth, you better start looking elsewhere. 

post #77 of 79
Quote:
We?ve also just updated the entire MacBook line...

Yeah... The logistics genius showed clearly in June Apple's breakthrough in mobility was over. We'll see how this road map will pay.  

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #78 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That depends on whether they took over the company when it was doing even better than that.

In which Apple wasn't, so CEO "pat on the back" is in store? ;)

Anyway, Cook has been running the company for practically years now. Not to discount Jobs' presence of course, but he hadn't been hands on in Apple's day to day for some time.

post #79 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Its a horrible quarter based on apple own guidance. Apple has been beating it by a range of 28 to 60% for the last 5 years. They broke that pattern today since they pretty much came right on with guidance. That will change how the street view the next quarter guidance, which is very low.
Of course Apple is doing very well in terms of profitability, but growth is decelerating and it will affect the stock prices in the next few months. Expect heavy PE compression until Apple comes back track. Its a good thing Apple valuation was already so good, it will keep it from going down too much. There will be good opportunity to buy the stock in the next few weeks.

It will help in the upcoming quarters. AAPL's gross undervaluation proves that the "halo" effect in which they slaughter these fabricated numbers haven't helped them at all, in fact it hurts them as people expect too much (hence this quarter was technically great, yet the stock gets hammered because emotions weren't fulfilled).

Let the analysts get more cautious, let people take AAPL's guidance more seriously, let AAPL not post such staggering blowout numbers. This isn't an entertainment show, or a popularity contest. Boring companies have boring conference calls all the time and trade at higher valuations than Apple. Let AAPL stock get more boring, let the press stop reporting about its every movement, let the company just do its thing.

The BEST thing that can happen to AAPL stock is for it to be treated as "just another stock". This quarter will be a good training session toward that necessary transition into the future. 2 examples are NKE stock, reported a dismal quarter, I'm talking a TECHNICALLY BAD QUARTER, of which Apple DIDN'T have (they had a technically great quarter) got hammered, but started bouncing back already. Also, MSFT, a P/E similar to AAPL's forward P/E, and a terrible quarter, and they actually went up.

Let the "Apple show" come to a close, let the stock mature, let expectations get boring. It'll be better for all of us who aren't longing for a Wall Street version of "The Kardashians". Now we have a nice Dividend to grab. I'm adding shares not only for the uptick to come, but to add to the quarterly payout!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple's profits rise 20% on sales of 26M iPhones, 17M iPads, and 4M Macs