or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mountain Lion 10.8 Free for new Mac buyers?

Mountain Lion 10.8 Free for new Mac buyers?

post #1 of 13

I wonder how it will work to get the free copy of 10.8 for new Mac buyers like me? I believe buyers on or after June 11th were entitled to a free upgrade?

Update: From what I've read so far, there's some magic in the App Store that can verify the age of your Mac from the serial or something.  I guess it is time to be patient and check tomorrow.

Edited by edelbrp - 7/24/12 at 6:53pm
post #2 of 13

Works like this.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 13

That just redirects me to the iTunes Store home page, oddly enough.  Perhaps I need to be logged in first?

post #4 of 13

Ah, correction, it opens up a web page and then sends me to the iTunes store.  Thanks, checking it out.

post #5 of 13

No, it doesn't. It's this link: http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/ It doesn't redirect you anywhere… 

post #6 of 13

It does!  When I click the link, the iTunes app opens up and takes me to the iTunes Store. :')  It also opens up the web page in the background.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by edelbrp View Post
It does!  When I click the link, the iTunes app opens up and takes me to the iTunes Store. :')  It also opens up the web page in the background.

There's something wrong on your end, then. Weird.

post #8 of 13

FYI- I'm on a new retina MBP, so maybe the web page is sending me off to the iTunes Store via JS detection.

post #9 of 13
Quote:
FYI- I'm on a new retina MBP, so maybe the web page is sending me off to the iTunes Store via JS detection.

Huh, could be. That would be quite nice of Apple to do that.

post #10 of 13

Thanks Tallest Skil, I'm guessing in 5+ hours it will take me to a OS-X update page in the iTunes Store.  Interesting.

post #11 of 13
Quote:

Also on rMBP...does the same for me...takes to iTunes and opens the web page in background

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnorthcutt View Post

Also on rMBP...does the same for me...takes to iTunes and opens the web page in background

I just installed ML by purchasing it.  It took under an hour to download and install it.  I'll use the redemption code (once they fix it) on another computer or give it to a friend or relative.

The retina screen looks absolutely spectacular after the update, btw.  And that's coming from somebody who already has bad eyesight. :')

post #13 of 13
Quote:

I just installed ML by purchasing it.  It took under an hour to download and install it.  I'll use the redemption code (once they fix it) on another computer or give it to a friend or relative.

The retina screen looks absolutely spectacular after the update, btw.  And that's coming from somebody who already has bad eyesight. :')

Interesting...better somehow than before? I think it looks spectacular already. I won't be going the purchase route, I'm okay to wait...for a little while. I just wish they hadn't sent me the code pdf 9.5 hours ago and never sent the password... I can look but not touch... 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mountain Lion 10.8 Free for new Mac buyers?