or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Wall Street anticipating huge holiday quarter after Apple disappoints

Wall Street anticipating huge holiday quarter after Apple disappoints - Page 2

post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Always ask yourself if you know more than the "players" on a subject. I would say that your assessment is well understood at this point. Also, what happens if the new iPhone is released in mid-September? Are you going to lose your entry point?

It's a fair point but if previous years are anything to go buy even if they announce mid Sept it won't be in the shops until at least a few weeks after and even then supply will be constrained. In order to affect the Q412 earnings they would really have to announce and release it late August, which is always possible. Either way you would know the release date with plenty of time to assess the likely impact on Q412 earnings.

However I don't think they will do that. I think Tim Cook is happy to defer much of this revenue to Q113 in order to take the heat out of the share price, stabilise things for a while and then boom start fiscal 2013 off with a bang. That quarter would include new iPhone, new iPods, iPad Mini, 13" Retina MBP. Presumably they will try and stagger the release dates around the world to manage supply/demand and to defer some of the revenue into Jan/Feb/Mar to boost Q213 earnings ahead of the next iPad

post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Who are you?.... And what have you done with Gatorguy?

You missed the " 40 million iPhones" figure. That's a lowly 8% rise over last year 's holiday quarter, and would almost certainly result in a loss of market share.

Don't worry, Gatorguy is still here.
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

So Apple makes nearly $9 billion in revenue in a historically slow quarter, AND shows a 20% YoY growth, yet they still disappoint? Sounds about right. Apple is DOOMED!!!

Everybody's always picking on Apple.  They are just jealous.

/s

post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

It only "disappoints" relative to overblown expectations. If you were simply following Apple's original guidance, they beat "expectations" handily… 20% growth year on year… almost $9 billion in earnings, a blowout by any measure. Any other company would be getting a fanfare and a 10% lift on their stock value...

Apple's guidance has boon so inaccurate that nobody really even takes it seriously.  That is why the analysts estimates hold so much sway.  If the stock were priced based upon Apple's guidance, it would be lower.

post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

easy money...

My Ouija board says go all in... anyone want to go halfsies on a share? :-P

post #46 of 46
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post
My Ouija board says go all in... anyone want to go halfsies on a share? :-P

Whoop, last quarter's thread, it seems. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Wall Street anticipating huge holiday quarter after Apple disappoints