or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple launches OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on Mac App Store for $19.99
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple launches OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on Mac App Store for $19.99 - Page 4

post #121 of 181

Well that sucks. I got the installer downloaded and when I tried to run it it said it couldn't verify it and that I had to DL it again! RATS!

NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
Reply
NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
Reply
post #122 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In the Mac App Store, where you've always been able to.

Or here:


Wow! Totally sweet Dock. What mod/skin is that?
post #123 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

That's DOS you fool! He's on one of those Mac computers I saw on TV.

LOL. I know it's DOS. That was the joke. Man, the good ol' days of Himem.Sys. BTW Windows 8 is garbage, tried it out, did my tax return thingy, then nuked it. Game over Microsoft.
post #124 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

It is annoying. It's pretty trivial and I don't mind waiting- but the clowns saying its the consumers fault are ridiculous.

In most cases that I have seen, it is. So far this morning I have had three clients call complaining that they got error messages or in another two how long it was taking.

Knowing their set up and the fact they had the problem with Lion, it was caused by either their local ISP was being hit hard or worse their so-called "high-speed" service they had was just above dial up. For the latter, I had been trying to get them to upgrade, but they didn't want to spend the extra monies.
post #125 of 181
I might wait till my 2am off peak to begin downloading.
post #126 of 181

Question (since I have not yet downloaded).  

 

Am I able to make the installer thumb drive as I did with Lion?  If so, do I need an 8GB stick again? 

 

Also, when I installed Lion I did a clean install and then restored my backup information from my Time Machine backup (actually, I remember now that it restored it to Snow Leapord, and then I had to upgrade again, but my backup reinstalled   as a clean install (i.e. drive was not fragmented).  If I do not do a reinstall, does the upgrade also defragment my drive (if that makes sense)?

 

I imagine that my process will be:

download, save installer to thumb drive.

install and do a time machine backup

wipe drive and do a clean install

restore backup

move on with my life.

 

is there an easier way to do this?

post #127 of 181

Well, I'm annoyed now.

Just installed Mountain Lion on my Late 2010 iMac.

 

Its at the Apple Logo and all hard disk activity just stops. Grey screen, little spinning icon. I've never had a problem with a new OS X system before but first time for everything. :-(

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #128 of 181

IF YOU USE LIVESTREAM PROCASTER, DO NOT INSTALL MOUNTAIN LION OR REMOVE LIVESTREAM FULLY BEFORE INSTALLTING THE NEW OSX.

 

Mountain Lion fails to load the livestream kexts at boot up and causes the system to halt.

 

 

 

Livestream killed my computer again, oh what a shock /S

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #129 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

Question (since I have not yet downloaded).  

 

Am I able to make the installer thumb drive as I did with Lion?  If so, do I need an 8GB stick again? 

 

Also, when I installed Lion I did a clean install and then restored my backup information from my Time Machine backup (actually, I remember now that it restored it to Snow Leapord, and then I had to upgrade again, but my backup reinstalled   as a clean install (i.e. drive was not fragmented).  If I do not do a reinstall, does the upgrade also defragment my drive (if that makes sense)?

 

I imagine that my process will be:

download, save installer to thumb drive.

install and do a time machine backup

wipe drive and do a clean install

restore backup

move on with my life.

 

is there an easier way to do this?

Yes, you would need an 8GB flash drive. See How to Burn OS X Mountain Lion to a USB Flash Drive. I believed I used Disk Utility when I created my flash drive for Lion.

 

Hope this helps.


Edited by Dr. X - 7/25/12 at 11:02am
post #130 of 181

View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Justice View Post

Well it looks like my MacPro is too old so I'll have to wait for Apple to upgrade my hardware before we upgrade the software.

When will Apple get around to upgrading my Mac?

 

flick.

 

I doubt they will be coming to your house to upgrade your system anytime soon :)

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post


10.8 does seem to be ok, other than failing to fix two critical bugs from 10.7 - PowerPC apps are still broken, and the arrows at the end of the scroll bars are still missing.  Those are real showstoppers as far as many of my customers are concerned, since they're more concerned with actually being able to work than with the new eye candy.

 

I'm sorry, but if you have been telling your clients that is a bug and not a change at the heart of the OS (remova lof all PPC code, when every review and the Wikipedia entry for Lion clearly states this), then you are an idiot.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post


Wow! Totally sweet Dock. What mod/skin is that?

 

Believe that is the new standard Dock

post #131 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

 

Post the release of any OS you can't get the previous one at the stores. And the free Snow Leopard for Mobile Me members was online only cause you had to log into your mobile me account. Which was very clearly spelled out in the emails they sent out, on the site etc

 

Sounds like the 'not a Genius' in this case was you. Not the store. 

It doesn't matter if they had the previous release, the point is they didn't provide me any smooth upgrade path.  The Mobile Me thing was not even available until much later.  I expect more from a "Genius", in fact he told me I have to upgrade through ever release and accused me of trying to scam Apple for not upgrading every time.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

 

But only for those that had Mobile Me accounts. Everyone else had to pay and they weren't told that come a year later they would be able to jump over Lion so they 'wasted' $40 getting that installer when they could have just paid $20 for Snow Leopard and waited. 

Well I was just frustrated I had to install the entire OS just to get the MAS, which was a completely different strategy from iTunes.  I shouldn't have to buy a shopping cart just so I could buy groceries!  In some circles, this "tied coercive selling" is actually illegal.

post #132 of 181

Can anyone help.  I've currently got ML GM installed.  When I went to buy the retail version from the App Store, it warned that "Mountain Lion is currently installed on the system, are you sure you want to download?"  I pressed YES and purchase it, but instead of downloading, the status turned to DOWNLOADED immediately.  Then nothing happens.  

 

So if I want to reinstall this retail version, do I have to do a clean install? 

post #133 of 181
"customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 11, 2012."

Does a refurbished MBP bought directly from Apple qualify? I know, not new, but can't hurt to ask?
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
post #134 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

"customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 11, 2012."
Does a refurbished MBP bought directly from Apple qualify? I know, not new, but can't hurt to ask?

Yes

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #135 of 181

"I have to test on EVERY friggin version of Windows and IE, Including IE6 ( blech )"

 

 

lol.gif IE 6 is long dead! I haven't developed for IE 6, 7 for many years now. What country do you live in?

post #136 of 181

I have a Macbook aluminum 2ghz intel core 2 duo with 8 gb ram, nvidia 9400m 256mb and everything is running incredibly slooooww. Even opening up system preferences and opening up a panel takes 30 seconds to over a minute. 

 

...OK, now I just realized that Spotlight is indexing my 500GB hard drive. Probably what is making everything so slooooow. I will let it sit for a while. Bon voyage!

post #137 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post


LOL. I know it's DOS. That was the joke. Man, the good ol' days of Himem.Sys. BTW Windows 8 is garbage, tried it out, did my tax return thingy, then nuked it. Game over Microsoft.

I was joking as well b:

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #138 of 181

Hi all!

 

From Sweden here's a big smile because of  - week numbers in Calender - I know it's a small thing but, hey I wanted this and sent requests to Apple way way back...:)

Feedback from the install as such is  - hey  - Smoooth!

Cheers guys -and girls!

For your info, I've been following this site since 19... something, and it is a pleasure and big fun to read all of your inputs.

 

Take care all!

 

Mac rulez! ( I know it banal)

 

/Kjelle 

post #139 of 181

Can anyone with QuickTime Pro installed confirm that the Loop function works?

post #140 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Can anyone with QuickTime Pro installed confirm that the Loop function works?

 

In Mountain Lion, rather. 

 

Also, can anyone confirm if Mountain Lion forces the installation of the Airport 6.0 manager?

post #141 of 181

Please stop with this moronic crap about the Touch of Steve

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

SO does it have the Touch Of Steve or not?
Still doing my bl**dy tax return. Good thing I have a beer by my side.
post #142 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I have a Macbook aluminum 2ghz intel core 2 duo with 8 gb ram, nvidia 9400m 256mb and everything is running incredibly slooooww. Even opening up system preferences and opening up a panel takes 30 seconds to over a minute. 

 

...OK, now I just realized that Spotlight is indexing my 500GB hard drive. Probably what is making everything so slooooow. I will let it sit for a while. Bon voyage!

Both my Core i7 machines ran like crap when I first installed ML. I can confirm that after the first boot and all the indexing, its running far better than Lion ever did.

 

YMMV of course.

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #143 of 181

ML appears to have duplicated all of my groups in Contacts :(

post #144 of 181

WTF?!  I can't install ML on my LISA?  Oh it better run on my Quadra or I'm gonna be pissed.

post #145 of 181

Wow, 15 minutes in, I'm seeing almost no progress on my ML download.  This one's going to take a whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllle.  Ah well.  It'll be worth it.

post #146 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Both my Core i7 machines ran like crap when I first installed ML. I can confirm that after the first boot and all the indexing, its running far better than Lion ever did.

YMMV of course.

Spotlight indexing says: Estimated time remaining: 4 days


😢
post #147 of 181

This thread is a lesson in Don't Upgrade on Day 1.  When I do this is a few weeks, there will be no network problems and possibly even a patch.  :)  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #148 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

This thread is a lesson in Don't Upgrade on Day 1.  When I do this is a few weeks, there will be no network problems and possibly even a patch.  :)  

Best post of this thread by a million....

post #149 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

Best post of this thread by a million....

Why? Nothing posted here seems too out of the ordinary.
post #150 of 181

Any web developers know if MAMP is working under Mountain Lion? Particularly version 2.0.1.

post #151 of 181

I'm really confused. I just installed ML on my MBP and I'm getting some really confusing behavior from Messages. 

1. I have the setting on my 4S to receive messages at both my phone number, and an @me.com email address.

2. I have the messages app set to receive at the same @me.com address.

3. I'm sending messages from my Mac to those peoples phone numbers, they are getting them no problem, I'm receiving replies without issue, but what I type on my Mac doesn't show on my phone. 

4. End result is I can send/recieve replys from my Mac no problem (to their phone numbers), I get their replies on both my Mac and my 4S without issue, but nothing I type on my Mac shows up on my 4S and all conversations are completely broken. It's a hodgepodge of broken conversations because what I send from my Mac doesn't show on my phone.

5. Am I doing it wrong? What setting(s) do I need to change on one/both devices to have the complete conversation mirrored on my Mac and my 4S? Is this even possible? From the blurbs on Apples website it sounded like everything said no matter where it was sent would be the same on any device that uses iMessage. Am I misinterpreting this, or am I the problem?

 

EDIT: I have no clue why the text is showing up that way!


Edited by HKZ - 7/25/12 at 5:17pm
post #152 of 181

I love the woman on the computer training commercial with the DSLR she's connecting to a Mac SE...

post #153 of 181

I've been cured! My computer is no longer slow and retarded! Despite the plumetting AAPL shares today is a good day!

post #154 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Please stop with this moronic crap about the Touch of Steve

 

The Touch of Steve is that AirPlay mirroring won't work with a MBP less than 2 years old. lol.gif

post #155 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Wow! Totally sweet Dock. What mod/skin is that?

Really? It's the same thing. It has the patented rounded corners now, and they replaced the light that shines up...

Seriously?
post #156 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

The Touch of Steve is that AirPlay mirroring won't work with a MBP less than 2 years old. lol.gif

You think that's a kicker, try Airaplay Mirroring if you have a multiple monitor setup. That will open your eyes!
post #157 of 181
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I've been cured! My computer is no longer slow and retarded! Despite the plumetting AAPL shares today is a good day!

They plummet after almost, I repeat ALMOST every earnings. Buy now sell later. I've made a ton this way. People holding on to AAPL stock out of love are just riding a roller coaster... It gets even better when they start point at other people for being fools!
post #158 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post
Really? It's the same thing. It has the patented rounded corners now, and they replaced the light that shines up...

 

It's not the same thing. They've changed the refractivity of the material they're mimicking, reshaped the entire Dock, and created new indicator lights.

 

Sounds like an entirely new thing to me.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #159 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post


They plummet after almost, I repeat ALMOST every earnings. Buy now sell later. I've made a ton this way. People holding on to AAPL stock out of love are just riding a roller coaster... It gets even better when they start point at other people for being fools!

Oh I ride that rollercoaster alright, I got this roller costin ride nailed. 

 

(I've got 10 X the amount of cash I had this time last year from riding it)


Edited by monstrosity - 7/25/12 at 9:53pm
post #160 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

If anybody has just installed from the App Store, is it build 12A269?  

Thats the torrent I have too ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple launches OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on Mac App Store for $19.99