or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Some new Mac buyers unable to redeem Mountain Lion codes on App Store

Some new Mac buyers unable to redeem Mountain Lion codes on App Store - Page 4

post #121 of 137

My first PDF but no Password turned 30 hours later into a valid PDF and Password for...OS X Server...called...was told that couldn't happen...was told that the Up-to-date department was "very quickly fixing the issues" and that I should call them back if I didn't have a valid code in 24 hours. I then received another PDF/Password 2 hours later. It worked...finally.

post #122 of 137
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
As if he meant actually downloading it from the App store and not up-to-date (which is what this thread is).

Thanks for missing the point entirely.

post #123 of 137

Apple's failure on the up to date codes may have a benefit. Support forums are filling with some scary sounding bugs for Mountain Lion. When Apple finally decides to allow updates to go forward, they might include more bug fixes.

post #124 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thanks for missing the point entirely.

I'd love to hear the point I missed.

Edited by Andysol - 7/27/12 at 10:19am

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #125 of 137

Well got mine now and working correctly, just so others do know. Seems they are back on track.

post #126 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Well got mine now and working correctly, just so others do know. Seems they are back on track.

It appears those who got the bad codes are the only ones getting new ones.  Those of us who haven't gotten any e-mails haven't gotten a code yet.  I don't feel like waiting until next Tuesday to get Mountain Lion when I don't have to.

I went ahead and just bought it and e-mailed customer service for a refund.  I assume they will refund it.  If they don't, I'll just move up the chain until they do.  I'll report back.

post #127 of 137
Quote:

It appears those who got the bad codes are the only ones getting new ones.  Those of us who haven't gotten any e-mails haven't gotten a code yet.  I don't feel like waiting until next Tuesday to get Mountain Lion when I don't have to.

I went ahead and just bought it and e-mailed customer service for a refund.  I assume they will refund it.  If they don't, I'll just move up the chain until they do.  I'll report back.

What a cruel joke.  Purchased it at 12:37pm, at 1:08pm I get the code.  lol.gif

post #128 of 137
Quote:

What a cruel joke.  Purchased it at 12:37pm, at 1:08pm I get the code.  lol.gif

Contact MAS support and tell them you want a refund and why.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #129 of 137

Just received my two emails from Apple. 48 hours from registering. Downloading Mountain Lion now. Glad i held off from purchasing the update.

All is good. 

post #130 of 137

You act as if there is no causality there ;)  Now you get to chase down a customer service issue for a potential $20 payoff.  Oh the joy.

post #131 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post

You act as if there is no causality there 1wink.gif  Now you get to chase down a customer service issue for a potential $20 payoff.  Oh the joy.

Causality? You think Apple is waiting for customers to pay $20 for ML so they can then issue the redeem code? That has to be the worse conspiracy against Apple I've ever heard.

post #132 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Causality? You think Apple is waiting for customers to pay $20 for ML so they can then issue the redeem code? That has to be the worse conspiracy against Apple I've ever heard.

I think he means the "casualty" is that even if I didn't get a code- I still have to get CS to reimburse the $20- which might be a challenge.  I don't think it will be though.  I know I'm not a huge company or anything- but I have 18 Apple products registered... that should hold some weight.  ;-)

post #133 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

As someone else already mentioned: this is something databases were designed to handle.

But to offer a simple solution to this example:

user1 hits instance1.  instance1 requests a lock on code1, obtains the lock, and issues code1 to user1.  instance1 ensures the database is updated before the lock on code1 is released.

user2 hits instance2.  instance2 requests a lock on code1, isn't able to obtain the lock because instance1 already holds it, and moves on to code2.

Uhmm, should the codes be generated uuid's?  Then the duplicated codes problem would never happen.  That's -1 for whoever was working on the system.  If SJ was still there, this would never happen. (Thinking... anything like this happened before?...)   Miss SJ...  

post #134 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

As someone else already mentioned: this is something databases were designed to handle.

But to offer a simple solution to this example:

user1 hits instance1.  instance1 requests a lock on code1, obtains the lock, and issues code1 to user1.  instance1 ensures the database is updated before the lock on code1 is released.

user2 hits instance2.  instance2 requests a lock on code1, isn't able to obtain the lock because instance1 already holds it, and moves on to code2.

Uhmm, should the codes be generated uuid's?  Then the duplicated codes problem would never happen.  That's -1 for whoever was working on the system.  If SJ was still there, this would never happen. (Thinking... anything like this happened before?...)  

post #135 of 137
Originally Posted by ipen View Post
If SJ was still there, this would never happen. (Thinking... anything like this happened before?...)  

Stop that. You know for a fact it's a blatant lie.

post #136 of 137

Finally got mine after around 36 hours, all is fine now!

post #137 of 137

Well, after waiting for 3 1/2 days with no reply, I decided to try registering my device for the third time.  The first two times I got a confirmation code but no email.  This time it took about 3 seconds to get my confirmation email.  So, it looks like Apple just plain lost the original registrations.  If you haven't gotten an email yet you probably just need to do the up to date application again.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Some new Mac buyers unable to redeem Mountain Lion codes on App Store