or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Some new Mac buyers unable to redeem Mountain Lion codes on App Store

Some new Mac buyers unable to redeem Mountain Lion codes on App Store - Page 2

post #41 of 137

I've been waiting for a code for 6 hours - not looking good for getting it done today...

post #42 of 137

I had the problem. Just reported it to Apple, then went ahead and bought ML for $19.95. Hopefully Apple will give me a credit when they sort this out. If not, no big deal.

post #43 of 137

I have this problem, but I'm not going to lose much sleep over it.  Still, it is a bit silly to have to decrypt a PDF using a special code to get another special code that gives me a non-sensical response of 'already used' when I try to use it.  Gives me the distinct impression that they guys who wrote the code were trying too hard to impress with the details and didn't adequately implement the fundamentals.

post #44 of 137

I also submitted my request and have not yet received a code. But it has only been a little over a half hour since I submitted the request.  I expected that it would be an almost instantaneous approval process.  Obviously I was wrong. Does anyone know how long it takes Apple to "validate" a free code request?

John

post #45 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Get used to "This would never have happened under Steve Jobs." Working for The Walt Disney Company, I have years of experience dealing with founder idolization. It'll only get worse and more frequent, but at least you can separate ignorant people from thoughtful people because of it. Always look on the bright side I say.

Yes, but Steve Jobs told his biographer that he specifically wanted Apple to avoid the issues Disney faced as a result of founder idolization (as well as HP with what can best be described as founder anti-idolization). He put together a team that he thought best to run the company and wanted them to run it as they saw fit, and not as he would have run it.

If Jobs were still around, might he have rushed Mountain Lion to release it the same day as the MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro? Might he have delayed the two by a month? Would we even have the Retina MacBook Pro yet, because Steve Jobs would have made a last-minute change over Memorial Day weekend to shave 0.5mm from the thickness that set the factory back 2 months? We won't know, nor should we worry about it.

post #46 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaugh View Post

I also submitted my request and have not yet received a code. But it has only been a little over a half hour since I submitted the request.  I expected that it would be an almost instantaneous approval process.  Obviously I was wrong. Does anyone know how long it takes Apple to "validate" a free code request?

John

I got mine almost instantly, but it was one of the "already used" codes, so my guess is that they are slowing it down to make sure they get it right.

post #47 of 137

4 hours, still no code from Apple yet. Hopefully later this afternoon. Really anxious to get Mountain Lion installed.

I know they must be swamped with replies today. I need to practice patience. 

post #48 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaugh View Post

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryoncole View Post

4 hours, still no code from Apple yet. Hopefully later this afternoon. Really anxious to get Mountain Lion installed.

I know they must be swamped with replies today. I need to practice patience. 

I'm at almost 6 hours.  Still nada.  I'll upgrade as soon as it comes out.  I was really looking forward to wasting my entire day trying out the new OS.  Instead I am wasting my entire day wishing it was here.  :-)

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #49 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Yes, but Steve Jobs told his biographer that he specifically wanted Apple to avoid the issues Disney faced as a result of founder idolization (as well as HP with what can best be described as founder anti-idolization). He put together a team that he thought best to run the company and wanted them to run it as they saw fit, and not as he would have run it.

If Jobs were still around, might he have rushed Mountain Lion to release it the same day as the MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro? Might he have delayed the two by a month? Would we even have the Retina MacBook Pro yet, because Steve Jobs would have made a last-minute change over Memorial Day weekend to shave 0.5mm from the thickness that set the factory back 2 months? We won't know, nor should we worry about it.

If I remember correctly, Walt's passing was more sudden and surprising than Steve's. So we don't have any recorded thoughts from Walt on what he thought about founder idolization and how it might affect his company. There are few examples of it in history as well. Steve was right on it though. It's never a good idea to try to act and make decisions like someone else. Even if you fail while being yourself, you fail harder when you fail to be yourself, if that makes sense.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
post #50 of 137

I must say, I'm very happy that the comments section of this article doesn't resemble that of macrumors. Many of those commenters I just want to shake by the shoulders and slap in the face to shock them out of their seething impatience.

post #51 of 137
Quote:

I must say, I'm very happy that the comments section of this article doesn't resemble that of macrumors. Many of those commenters I just want to shake by the shoulders and slap in the face to shock them out of their seething impatience.

What's the point of getting furious?  And what possible argument could someone make for acting mad?  "I want it and I want it now!"?

Is it annoying?  Yeah- it's a nuisance, but nothing worth whining about.  I think it should have been handled better- and hopefully they learn from their gaff.  Maybe next time they go ahead and let people start to get their codes a week before the release date, then when they release it, there aren't any problems.  Or even be crazy and reward the new mac owner with getting the OS a day early.  Either way- when asked for feedback, I will let them know.

But seriously... I do want it and I want it now. lol.gif

post #52 of 137

Really? Because I see a fair bit of entitled whining here. I'm not going to MacRumors, though, so I'll take your word that it's worse, since I buy that.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #53 of 137
Quote:

Any classic examples to share?

BTW, I like Arn and MR's blog-like reporting but I can't stand the forum. It's like everyone from Digg jumped to MR after the Digg redesign. On the other hand AI has great members. You can have actual conversations here. You can learn things from others. Not just about Apple or tech, but all sorts of subjects. of course, there are exceptions but this is the internet.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #54 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Really? Because I see a fair bit of entitled whining here. I'm not going to MacRumors, though, so I'll take your word that it's worse, since I buy that.
Interesting point "Pot",

If you want to see entitled whining- go to the safari post. "waah! I want my whittle bitty tabs back"

post #55 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
If you want to see entitled whining- go to the safari post. "waah! I want my whittle bitty tabs back"

Wow, you've issues.

post #56 of 137
Quote:

Wow, you've issues.

Just proving a point that what's good for the goose....

You, if anyone, would know about issues.

post #57 of 137
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
You, if anyone, would know about issues.

post #58 of 137

Sadly, I am going to whine as well...Received the pdf email nine and a half hours ago; have not yet received the password to open it. I think I would have rather not yet gotten anything. This is kind of like giving a kid an ice cream in a locked clear freezer and telling him he can have it when you give him the key...then leaving. I keep seeing all the other kids eating their ice cream...I can see mine, but not taste it.

post #59 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

I had the problem. Just reported it to Apple, then went ahead and bought ML for $19.95. Hopefully Apple will give me a credit when they sort this out. If not, no big deal.

I did exactly the same thing!

For the benefit of others here, I purchased my rMBP directly from Apple. I applied for the code and got it a few hours laters. It seems to be an over kill to have a password protected PDF... maybe just emailing the code could have worked?
post #60 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnorthcutt View Post

Sadly, I am going to whine as well...Received the pdf email nine and a half hours ago; have not yet received the password to open it.

For me, two emails arrived at the same time. Same time stamp.
post #61 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryoncole View Post

I need to practice patience. 

Put on some Tibetan chants and drink whisky. It worked for me, I'm completely WHERE'S MY EFFING MOUNTAIN LION... Om mani padme hum

post #62 of 137

Ok, I'm chanting with a bottle of Wild Turkey. Here kitty kitty.......

post #63 of 137

It is sad to see how whiny people do get... I'm just sitting here and if the email comes then I'll be happy but I'm not fussing in the mean time. There's plenty of other things to do while I wait.

post #64 of 137

10 hours...

post #65 of 137

Torrenting mine from TPB.

I submitted my info for the upgrade but no email as of yet. I have the legal rights to it so I might as well get it from there.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

post #66 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Torrenting mine from TPB.

I submitted my info for the upgrade but no email as of yet. I have the legal rights to it so I might as well get it from there.

I would caution you about downloading apps by torrents. It is a wonderful way to install the OS together with hidden trojans. Considering how much personal info we store on our computers these days, I rather pay $20 as an 'insurance'.
post #67 of 137

I have been waiting for 7 hrs now... I am fed up!

post #68 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiThere View Post

I would caution you about downloading apps by torrents. It is a wonderful way to install the OS together with hidden trojans. Considering how much personal info we store on our computers these days, I rather pay $20 as an 'insurance'.

It's been verified to be the same DMG file right out of the App Store. Nothing to worry about.

post #69 of 137
Quote:
Nothing to worry about.

Of course not. There couldn't possibly be anything to worry about when downloading a file illegally from an unverified source.

post #70 of 137
Quote:

Of course not. There couldn't possibly be anything to worry about when downloading a file illegally from an unverified source.

[Insert pic of Dr. Evil with text saying "I'm just gonna assume it all went to plan."]

post #71 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

IT'S THE FIRST DAY. You aren't going to die if you can't get Mountain Lion right now. There's no bonus for having it on the first day. 

Chill out. 

It's a randomly generated number and if traffic is high sometimes the system hits the same number twice before one instance  invalidates the code and blocks it from going to someone else. 

If you got one of the errors just contact them and then chill out while they fix it. 

You seem more emotional about the situation then the people who are experiencing the problem. Nothing is going on here that Apple shouldn't have been prepared for. This should not be happening, period. Apple sells premium priced hardware and their customer have a right to expect a higher level of service then this.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #72 of 137
Quote:

What's illegal about downloading software that you already have a license for? Nothing.

post #73 of 137
What's illegal about downloading software that you already have a license for? Nothing.

The fact that you're illegally uploading it to others who don't have a license for it in the process… Come on.

post #74 of 137

16 hours and waiting…  Did get two ads though!  lol.gif

post #75 of 137
Quote:

The fact that you're illegally uploading it to others who don't have a license for it in the process… Come on.

Implying I need to seed when there's a dedicated seed box

post #76 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiThere View Post

OMG.  Is this stuff really still going on?  Apparently, but wide spread?

post #77 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-diver View Post

16 hours and waiting…  Did get two ads though!  lol.gif

16 hours for what? I don't get it.  What's with ads?

Are you scalping Mountain Lion? Is it taking 16 hours?  

How much money could you have made during that time?  Doing something legitimate?

Why would you do such a thing?  It's only $19.99?

I would really like to hear back from you.

post #78 of 137

I submitted my request over 17 hours ago.  I have yet to receive the redemption code.  I have received email ads from Apple though that are advertising the availability of Mountain Lion as well as the new ivy bridge based Macs.  Seeing an email from Apple had gotten my hopes up.  Pretty simple really...

post #79 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

16 hours for what? I don't get it.  What's with ads?

Are you scalping Mountain Lion? Is it taking 16 hours?  

How much money could you have made during that time?  Doing something legitimate?

Why would you do such a thing?  It's only $19.99?

I would really like to hear back from you.

LOL. 

Just to mention, I've submitted mine around 12 hrs ago... Nothing back from Apple yet. Anyone got the coupon in the last few hours?

Update: I just got the ad that I should upgrade to ML :-/

Tom

post #80 of 137

My replacement codes came at 1:47am. I submitted my original request and got the bad codes around 9:00am yesterday (Eastern).

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Some new Mac buyers unable to redeem Mountain Lion codes on App Store