or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Some new Mac buyers unable to redeem Mountain Lion codes on App Store

Some new Mac buyers unable to redeem Mountain Lion codes on App Store - Page 3

post #81 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

My replacement codes came at 1:47am. I submitted my original request and got the bad codes around 9:00am yesterday (Eastern).

I'm hoping that now they are pushing out the replacement codes, people like me who requested theirs around 18 hours ago will not have theirs pushed out shortly afterwards.

It's no big deal. I just hate the fact that you always have the doubt in your mind; did I enter the details correctly in the first place? Have I stuffed it up and it is not actually Apple's fault. Having thoughts of re-submitting but I will be patient and leave it until later tonight or first thing in the morning again before I decide what to do. I would assume that pretty much everyone should have had their codes by that stage.

post #82 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Really? Because I see a fair bit of entitled whining here. I'm not going to MacRumors, though, so I'll take your word that it's worse, since I buy that.

The comments here are positively tame compared to the drivel being spewed on other site forums (and even on Apple's forum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Any classic examples to share?

I was thinking about quoting some here, but I decided against spreading the negativity here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

What's the point of getting furious?  And what possible argument could someone make for acting mad?  "I want it and I want it now!"?

Is it annoying?  Yeah- it's a nuisance, but nothing worth whining about.  I think it should have been handled better- and hopefully they learn from their gaff.  Maybe next time they go ahead and let people start to get their codes a week before the release date, then when they release it, there aren't any problems.  Or even be crazy and reward the new mac owner with getting the OS a day early.  Either way- when asked for feedback, I will let them know.

But seriously... I do want it and I want it now. lol.gif

That's my point exactly. I understand everyone reacts in their own way to a situation like this (I haven't received any response to my claim submitted almost 24 hours ago), but you can't do anything about it other than cause yourself and others more grief. Then again, I have a personality type that enjoys anticipation so maybe my biological wiring affords me extra patience.

I've worked customer service before and seen all types. They only have what information the corporate machine feeds them so you can't blame their lack of/inconsistent information. It no longer astounds me that some can't step back, think logically, and have a intelligent, respectful conversation about an issue because, the way the corporate system is set up, it's cheaper to reward total customer asshattery with free gift cards or credits to an account than to pay someone to apologize and talk them into a rational state of mind. Just one of the many reasons why 'entitlement' has become a dirty word.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
post #83 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightoftheWord View Post

Having thoughts of re-submitting but I will be patient and leave it until later tonight or first thing in the morning again before I decide what to do.

You can't... I tried that (as I wasn't sure if I entered my details correctly) and it just told me that this serial # has been claimed already...

post #84 of 137
22 hours- also got the ad... Saw an apple email, got excited, ten saw they wanted to let me know mountain lion was ready. Lol

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #85 of 137

It would help if Apple sent email acknowledging the screw up and offering information on when Apple intends to deal with it. Spamming people with ads describing an update that is unavailable does not help. Mistakes happen, but not dealing with the mistake in a timely and transparent manner erodes confidence in the brand.

post #86 of 137

24 hours ago received first email with PDF...still no email with password. In the meantime, have gotten 2 emails advertising that Mountain Lion is available and that I should get mine now, and 1 email stating that I qualify for a free copy. 12 hours in, a return call from Apple Care said that I should receive the password "any minute now, my friend" (insert your own Indian accent). I would not care if I were not supporting a large BYOD staff, many of whom have already downloaded and installed ML and are already calling with questions. Yes, I am griping, but at this point I think the reasons are more than legitimate.

post #87 of 137
Quote:

22 hours- also got the ad... Saw an apple email, got excited, ten saw they wanted to let me know mountain lion was ready. Lol

Been almost 24 hours, got the ad, still no email (or even a confirmation email about the request!).

Do find it odd that when reporting an online order they don't right then ask for the order number - or at least it didn't for me. 

post #88 of 137
Agree, 23 hours and nada. Was going to visit the store today but after reading all of this I guess I'll just stand pat and see what happens. Wish they would acknowledge receipt. I have no proof I've complied with their 30 day window. Of course it IS just twenty bucks. Principle, though.
post #89 of 137
25 hours and still no acknowledgement. SUCKS!!!
post #90 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

IT'S THE FIRST DAY. You aren't going to die if you can't get Mountain Lion right now. There's no bonus for having it on the first day. 

Chill out. 

Now it's the second day.  Should we still chill out.  I eagerly wait your response so I'll know what to do.

Quote:

Really? Because I see a fair bit of entitled whining here. I'm not going to MacRumors, though, so I'll take your word that it's worse, since I buy that.

Please let us know when it is ok to whine.

post #91 of 137
Please let us know when it is ok to whine.

If you don't know, perhaps you oughtn't at all until you do?

post #92 of 137

Oh, this just gets better and better.

I was one of the ones who got an already redeemed code yesterday.I've been patiently waiting for Apple to fix it, and they just sent me new codes.

So I go to redeem the code, and I get a notification that I cannot download the software as it requires OS 10.8. What?!? The redeem code was for OS X *Server*. Not Mountain Lion, but OS X Server.

I wonder what their explanation for this is. I think that they're pretty panicked back at iTunes fulfillment and people are making sloppy mistakes. :(

post #93 of 137

Just received another code from Apple and now I'm getting a different error! Jesus H.

Email to Apple support:

Now I'm having another issue trying to redeem my up-to-date Mountain Lion code that I just received. When I entered the code, I got a message that said "OS X Server requires OSX v10.8. Go to Purchase tab for more info." So, if I go to my purchases tab,  I see "OS X Server" with todays date under purchase date. I didn't apply for nor want the server software. I want Mountain Lion on my new iMac!

post #94 of 137

Make that three of us...LOL...I just got off the phone with Apple Care is completely confused as to how this could have happened...

post #95 of 137

26 hours later for me and still no code.  Have received other things from Apple like a receipt for an iTunes purchase.

post #96 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper4711 View Post

Oh, this just gets better and better.

I was one of the ones who got an already redeemed code yesterday.I've been patiently waiting for Apple to fix it, and they just sent me new codes.

So I go to redeem the code, and I get a notification that I cannot download the software as it requires OS 10.8. What?!? The redeem code was for OS X *Server*. Not Mountain Lion, but OS X Server.

I wonder what their explanation for this is. I think that they're pretty panicked back at iTunes fulfillment and people are making sloppy mistakes. :(

That's too bad. This up-to-date program is turning into a nightmare. By and large, the servers have been good and able to handle the load, which just makes the up-to-date debacle stand out evern more.

post #97 of 137

Was just sent a 3rd code and it works!

post #98 of 137

Everyone needs to realize that this isn't happening to 99.99% of the people who did the up-to-date upgrade.

Oh yeah... except only 1 person has gotten a code that works and there are dozens that don't.  That's just from those who are posting.

Maybe by tomorrow, or Monday of next week we'll be allowed to whine- then we won't be viewed as impatient or entitled.

Edit: 2 people

post #99 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoore44 View Post

Was just sent a 3rd code and it works!

At this point someone should start one of those Tumblr sites where people can post all their failed codes.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #100 of 137
Quote:

Everyone needs to realize that this isn't happening to 99.99% of the people who did the up-to-date upgrade.

Oh yeah... except only 1 person has gotten a code that works and there are dozens that don't.  That's just from those who are posting.

Maybe by tomorrow, or Monday of next week we'll be allowed to whine- then we won't be viewed as impatient or entitled.

Edit: 2 people

Are we sure of the 0.01%? How many codes do you think have been distributed? How many people have been effected? The internet magnifying any issue, especially when it comes to Apple, but this isn't my first rodeo and by all appearances this seems like it's affecting more than just a few hundred users.

post #101 of 137

It seems the two people who have received actual working codes actually received bad codes first.  So it seems those are being resolved before people who never got e-mailed (like me).

post #102 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are we sure of the 0.01%? How many codes do you think have been distributed? How many people have been effected? The internet magnifying any issue, especially when it comes to Apple, but this isn't my first rodeo and by all appearances this seems like it's affecting more than just a few hundred users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Exactly. I don't care how many servers you have or how much money you have, this kind of load is very difficult to deal with. There will be isolated errors. With millions of people downloading the software, even 99.99% success means hundreds of people having problems.

I was being facetious with all the usual suspect a-hole posters (Tallest Skill, Jrag, and Char), but that proved my earlier sarcastic point.  :-)

post #103 of 137
...and me. 27 hours now. Sent an email 3 hours ago to uptodatesupport@apple.com but no response...
post #104 of 137

Been over 24 hours for me with no code in my email yet.

Guess I don't need it anymore. The DMG I torrented is perfect. 

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

post #105 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Been over 24 hours for me with no code in my email yet.

Guess I don't need it anymore. The DMG I torrented is perfect. 

I considered doing it- but I'm unsure how the upgrade process will work now that it goes to the App store.  It won't show up as purchased, so when 10.8.1 is released, if you have to torrent again- it will be a beating.  I can wait- I dont need it that bad, but it has gone from annoying to very annoying.  Another 24 hours and I'll update the annoying status to yellow.

post #106 of 137

have not yet received mountain lion code

its been almost a day and i still haven't received my redemption code for mountain lion. is anyone else experiencing this?

post #107 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by markboston View Post

its been almost a day and i still haven't received my redemption code for mountain lion. is anyone else experiencing this?

Read the 30 posts ahead of you.  ;-)

post #108 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by markboston View Post

Same here.

post #109 of 137
Quote:

I considered doing it- but I'm unsure how the upgrade process will work now that it goes to the App store.  It won't show up as purchased, so when 10.8.1 is released, if you have to torrent again- it will be a beating.  I can wait- I dont need it that bad, but it has gone from annoying to very annoying.  Another 24 hours and I'll update the annoying status to yellow.

The likelihood of having to torrent again are slim because of the way Apple has been issuing updates. Since there is no authentication code for Mac OS X it will just update to 10.8.1 if you're running 10.8.0.

Even in the betas of ML all the updates came from Software Update. Makes sense, but from most of Lion and all previous versions of OS X you had grab the latest betas from their developer site.

That said, I don't encourage not spending the $20 for the download but I also don't care how others obtain it either.

post #110 of 137
Quote:

I've already received an official update from my torrented copy.

post #111 of 137

I called 1-800-MY-APPLE and they were able to confirm my request and look everything up - the agent I spoke with (in technical support) indicated that they're working on a 48-72 hour turnaround.

post #112 of 137
Quote:
I've already received an official update from my torrented copy.

Update to what?

post #113 of 137
Quote:

Update to what?

It was a firmware update.

I'm just saying that it doesn't need to be purchased from the App Store to receive updates since there's no verification / activation process for the OS

post #114 of 137
It was a firmware update.

Then that's based on the computer, not the software. Nothing to do with Mountain Lion. Just you wait until 10.8.1; I imagine you'll need to buy it.

post #115 of 137

I love the way you guys are bitchin bout having received invalid codes. I'm waiting now 48 hours and havent received a damn thing from apple....I put a gold master version on my machine because of the frustration..and now have to redo the whole thing due to apple....whats up with that....bet they dont have anything for a week....watch...

post #116 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by abacus01 View Post

I love the way you guys are bitchin bout having received invalid codes. I'm waiting now 48 hours and havent received a damn thing from apple....I put a gold master version on my machine because of the frustration..and now have to redo the whole thing due to apple....whats up with that....bet they dont have anything for a week....watch...

I'm in the same boat.  But I dont see how its any different to complain about an invalid code instead of no email.  Neither group can run Mountain Lion.  I havent gotten any email from Apple either- 48 hours as well.  I wouldnt be surprised if it was Monday or Tuesday by the time I finally get a valid code either.

Edited by Andysol - 7/27/12 at 8:14am

post #117 of 137

Submitted early Wednesday morning and still haven't gotten anything back yet.  Instead of Up To Date, Apple should call the program Two Days Late.  Too bad they can't just send the update in the mail.  

Oh well, it's good for this kind of thing to happen once in a while so that I can remind myself why I try never to prepay for anything - you end up being low priority.  Congratulations, Apple.  You made me your bitch for $20.  

Edited by StatCoder - 7/27/12 at 7:27am
post #118 of 137
Originally Posted by abacus01 View Post
..bet they dont have anything for a week....watch...

Considering I can download Mountain Lion at will right now, that's not the case.

post #119 of 137

For what it's worth, my request (Wednesday morning, shortly after the form went live) turned into a valid, no problems code late yesterday evening. Seems like they're starting to get caught up.

post #120 of 137
Quote:

Considering I can download Mountain Lion at will right now, that's not the case.

Do you even realize how big of a clown you are sometimes?

As if he meant actually downloading it from the App store and not up-to-date (which is what this thread is).

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Some new Mac buyers unable to redeem Mountain Lion codes on App Store