or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs joins George Washington, others in TIME's most influential Americans list

Steve Jobs joins George Washington, others in TIME's most influential Americans list

post #1 of 45
Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was named one of the 20 most influential people in American history according to a TIME feature released on Tuesday, and sits alongside the likes of George Washington, Henry Ford and Albert Einstein.

The TIME report names 20 "trailblazers, visionaries and cultural ambassadors who defined a nation" in chronological order with Jobs rounding out the list as the most recent "influential American."

TIME calls Jobs the "high priest of the computer age" and runs through a brief history of Apple and its products, and the tech guru's ultimately life-ending battle with pancreatic cancer.

From Steve Jobs' short TIME bio:

There was always something of the monkish seeker about Steve Jobs, from his days as a part-time student at Reed College in Oregon, through his Wanderjahr in Asia to his pursuit of perfection in the dazzling products he and his colleagues created.
Jobs was a visionary whose great genius was for design: he pushed and pushed to make the interface between computers and people elegant, simple and delightful. He always claimed his goal was to create products that were ?insanely great.? Mission accomplished.

Steve Jobs

The usual suspects like Abraham Lincoln, Henry Ford and Martin Luther King Jr. populate the rest of the top-20 while noted pugilist and outspoken racial equality proponent Mohammed Ali is both the only athlete featured and last living list member.

TIME's 20 Most Influential Americans

Influential Americans
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Sacagawea, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark
Abraham Lincoln
Sitting Bull
Alexander G. Bell
Thomas Edison
Henry Ford
Wright Brothers
Margaret Sanger
Albert Einstein
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Louis Armstrong
James Watson
Martin Luther King Jr.
Muhammad Ali
Steve Jobs
post #2 of 45

I'm amazed that this list doesn't include Walt Disney.

post #3 of 45

Einstein wasn't american.  In fact, he was bribed (if you can call it a bribe when a gun is to your head) to come to the US from germany.  Typical american media rewriting history.

post #4 of 45

This sort of thing makes the Windows/Android fanatic's brains explode. They can't even begin to wrap their heads around Jobs and Apple being influential, much less important.

post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty2431 View Post

Einstein wasn't american.  In fact, he was bribed (if you can call it a bribe when a gun is to your head) to come to the US from germany.  Typical american media rewriting history.

Einstein became a naturalized American citizen voluntarily.  He came here to be able to continue his work without fear. It's you who need to stop rewriting history.

post #6 of 45
Quote:

He was born in Germany to German parents. He was Jewish but his parents were non practicing and he attended a Catholic school for some of his childhood. He had more than two citizenships but died in the US, an American citizen. Hard to categorically classify him as one thing and one thing only.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein
post #7 of 45

whoops.

post #8 of 45
Quote:

Alexander Bell was born in Edinburgh, Scotland on March 3, 1847 ... just saying.

post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

He was born in Germany to German parents. He was Jewish but his parents were non practicing and he attended a Catholic school for some of his childhood. He had more than two citizenships but died in the US, an American citizen. Hard to categorically classify him as one thing and one thing only.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein

If you exclude Einstein then you've really got to exclude Alexander Bell, and possibly James Watson, too.

post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

If you exclude Einstein then you've really got to exclude Alexander Bell, and possibly James Watson, too.

And George Washington - who was born British.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #11 of 45
Quote:

Why would you exclude James Watson?

He's was born in Chicago.  Perhaps you were thinking of Francis Crick who is british.

post #12 of 45

Steve Jobs - Definitely one of the 20 most influential people in American history.

Not just influential, he was the greatest businessman of the last one hundred years.  To take Apple from a company that was nearly bankrupt to the most valuable in the world is no mean feat.

post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Einstein became a naturalized American citizen voluntarily.  He came here to be able to continue his work without fear. It's you who need to stop rewriting history.

Furthermore he became an American Citizen at the speed of light and not one picosecond faster.

Jobs made the short list as "Father of the post-PC era." Chairs are being broken and the monkey is dancing in Redmond, BECAUSE this is ONE thing that Microsoft can't copy from Apple, or compete with Apple on.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #14 of 45

Wasn't Time that said Hitler was man of the year as well?  What makes Time such a set in stone list maker on such things.

And if you want to get technical we would say "American" is the whole american continent, US and Canada as well as Mexico.  So I would think Most influential US citizens.

Edited by tylerk36 - 7/25/12 at 4:33pm
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #15 of 45
Quote:

And if Albert Einstein is included, Edison should be replaced with Nicola Tesla.

post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Wasn't Time that said Hitler was man of the year as well?  What makes Time such a set in stone list maker on such things.

And if you want to get technical we would say "American" is the whole american continent, US and Canada as well as Mexico.  So I would think Most influential US citizens.

you forgot 3 countries because North America comprised 6 countries..classic American ignorance 

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And George Washington - who was born British.

One of the biggest traitors in Britsh history too. Just saying ... /wink or should that be duck?
Edited by digitalclips - 7/25/12 at 5:56pm
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

you forgot 3 countries because North America comprised 6 countries..classic American ignorance 

That is so misunderstood these days. Blame the America educational system or lack thereof, they may as well redraw the map and make Central America, Mexico through Panama and have done with it.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Mohammed Ali is both the only athlete featured and last living list member.

Actually James Watson is still alive, he's 84.

post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

And if Albert Einstein is included, Edison should be replaced with Nicola Tesla.

You are seriously kidding right?! Tesla was Yugoslav, He is considered a national hero & from what i've read he moved to America for work.
He should be on a list, just not this one.

post #21 of 45

How can they forget Benjamin Franklin????

Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
post #22 of 45

NO. We are not having the "What is America" argument again.

This is America (demonym).

These are the Americas.

This is North America.

This is South America.

post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty2431 View Post

It is one of the defining characteristics of the United States that we welcome foreign born people, not only legally but also personally, to be Americans.

post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

You are seriously kidding right?! Tesla was Yugoslav, 

Seriously no!

Tesla was actually a Serb, born in Croatia (both of which later became Yugoslavia) and became a naturalized, U.S. citizen at 35.

He is considered a national hero

Mostly for all the work he did while in the U.S.

post #25 of 45

When I was a teen my family temporarily moved to Canada, and I went to Canadian high school. In Canadian History class in HS they taught us that Alexander Graham Bell was a famous Canadian inventor and that the telephone was a Canadian invention that happened to be ironed out in the USA, along with many other of Bell's inventions including various experiments with manned flight, etc. The Canadians were quite emphatic about it and told me he lived, died, and was buried in Nova Scotia, Canada (although he spent winters in New England or some such), which made him firmly a Canadian. although he was born in a different part of the British Commonwealth, in Scotland.

Edited by ShinySteelRobot - 7/25/12 at 11:32pm
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufwa View Post

Why would you exclude James Watson?

He's was born in Chicago.  Perhaps you were thinking of Francis Crick who is british.

Born in Chicago but has lived in the UK for the past 60 years.

post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Seriously no!

Tesla was actually a Serb, born in Croatia (both of which later became Yugoslavia) and became a naturalized, U.S. citizen at 35.

Mostly for all the work he did while in the U.S.

I figured it was easier to say he was Yugoslav then explaining it on here, then i get someone telling me about the country my whole family is from.

*Sigh*  Anyways, that has got to be up there with one of the stupidest things i have read on here, "became a naturalized, U.S. citizen at 35" well i guess he's from America then.... I shouldn't have to say it, i have the feeling i need to tho. When someone is 35 they are a fully grown adult & from that era people became adults much earlier then they do now, he lived in the country he was born in until he was a grown man, not 5 or 10 years old, he's not from America, he lived there for the rest of his life but that is not where he is from.

Since you are reading your information from wikipedia I'm wondering what it says next to Nationality?.

In Australia its very common to claim people as Aussies that aren't from here, doesn't make it so, Russel Crowe, From New Zealand lives in Sydney, Sam Neil, same thing, when Tom Cruise was married to Nicole Kidman he was an Aussie too :p Same thing with Einstein being on that list & a few others

Edited by Zozman - 7/25/12 at 11:46pm
post #28 of 45

So many that did positive things for society but leave it to Time to put someone in there who brought a dark cloud over us.....

And what did Muhammad Ali do besides being a great entertainer in the ring??

post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post

When I was a teen my family temporarily moved to Canada, and I went to Canadian high school. In Canadian History class in HS they taught us that Alexander Graham Bell was a famous Canadian inventor and that the telephone was a Canadian invention that happened to be ironed out in the USA, along with many other of Bell's inventions including various experiments with manned flight, etc. The Canadians were quite emphatic about it and told me he lived, died, and was buried in Nova Scotia, Canada (although he spent winters in New England or some such), which made him firmly a Canadian. although he was born in a different part of the British Commonwealth, in Scotland.
and from the wiki on " bell canada corporation" bell licensed the patent from Alexander Graham Bell the rest is history...
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

So many that did positive things for society but leave it to Time to put someone in there who brought a dark cloud over us.....

And what did Muhammad Ali do besides being a great entertainer in the ring??

does one emulate a hero such as "Muhammad Ali" to become what they are now, or what they were?.

because i would prefer to be the late Steve Jobs in his last year, than be Muhammad Ali in his last year (or as he is now)...
thus, what really is the criteria for the times' list?...
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I think Time's Person of the Year isn't necessarily meant to recognize greatness as much as it is to pinpoint someone who had a major influence on the world - for good or evil.

You're right, though - Hitler was the TPY in 1938.  Other notable entries on that list include Josef Stalin (2x), Nikita Khrushchev, Richard Nixon (2x, in a row no less...), Ayatollah Khomeini, etc., etc. ... and of course, the root of ALL evil, Mark Zuckerberg in 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

As far as THIS article goes, I think Jobs deserves to be on the list for his business acumen.  Not quite sure I'd put Louis Armstrong or Muhammed Ali on that list instead of people like Lindbergh, Earhart, Alan Shepard, John Kennedy, Enrico Fermi, Oppenheimer, Jonas Salk, George Marshall, Eisenhower, Jackie Robinson or others.  Ali is an especially curious choice over Robinson if they were looking to include a sports figure.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

post #32 of 45

North America seems to be loosely defined. Even on the source of all knowledge, Wikipedia, there are a few definitions provided stemming from common usage. The most inclusive definition seems to be the entire landmass north of the Panama-Columbia border, which includes the Caribbean islands and Greenland (?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_countries

post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgermax View Post

North America seems to be loosely defined. Even on the source of all knowledge, Wikipedia, there are a few definitions provided stemming from common usage. The most inclusive definition seems to be the entire landmass north of the Panama-Columbia border, which includes the Caribbean islands and Greenland (?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_countries

Oh for the love of GOD! Not this AMERICA, NORTH AMERICA CRAP AGAIN?!?!!?!?!?

Please take your pointless post and argument to this dead horse of a thread please:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151145/rumor-7-inch-ipad-to-be-produced-in-brazil-for-fall-launch

post #34 of 45

This will get the haters going.   In fact someone posted on MR that if Steve Jobs made this list they should've included Ron Popeil too because he at least invented things. :lol:

post #35 of 45

How can they put Roosevelt on the list but not Ronald Reagan?  Because one was a liberal (good) and the other conservative (evil)?

post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
How can they put Roosevelt on the list but not Ronald Reagan?  Because one was a liberal (good) and the other conservative (evil)?

I don't think it has to do with politics. I don't have any specific reason for thinking that; I just don't want the thread to devolve into politics. lol.gif

post #37 of 45

Lois Armstrong and Muhammad Ali? This list is a joke. How about Ronald Reagan who transformed America's economy and helped fix the mess started by Roosevelt? Steve Jobs possibly belongs on the list, but everything else after the Wright Brothers is pretty dubious.

post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryand View Post

...How about Ronald Reagan who transformed America's economy...

Sure, I'll bite:

ReaganCompared.jpg

post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

Sure, I'll bite:

ReaganCompared.jpg

I'm just telling you. It is all fun and games till somebody loses an eye over this.

This thread will end in tears, 7 pages and 187 posts later.

post #40 of 45

Hey, again, leave politics out of this, please.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs joins George Washington, others in TIME's most influential Americans list