or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung smartphone shipments estimated at 52M, doubling Apple's iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung smartphone shipments estimated at 52M, doubling Apple's iPhone - Page 5

post #161 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post


That is quite an assertion you just made.  Got any evidence?  Any at all?

None that is relevant or useful for trolls.
post #162 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

By several accounts, Apple's revenue for Apple-branded iPhone accessories comes in at over a $1billion per quarter alone. They have one of the highest 'attach rates' in the industry. There are also undisclosed amounts received from licensing iPhone connectors and other patent related items, with non-Apple components, automobiles, etc. Who other than you considers BILLIONS to be a 'very small portion of sales'???

Yeah. Apple had $16+ billion in sales from this segment last quarter. Go figure!

At least, we can have an intelligent discussion since Apple actually provides numbers. Samsung provides zip. They obviously are ashamed or, for some reason, hesitant to reveal it. I can think of only one sensible reason -- the average sales and profit are likely not as good as consulting firms claim it is.

As I said before, you are certainly welcome to believe what you will!
post #163 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Yeah. Apple had $16+ billion in sales from this segment last quarter. Go figure!
At least, we can have an intelligent discussion since Apple actually provides numbers. Samsung provides zip. They obviously are ashamed or, for some reason, hesitant to reveal it. I can think of only one sensible reason -- the average sales and profit are likely not as good as consulting firms claim it is.
As I said before, you are certainly welcome to believe what you will!

 

I don't think I've made ANY comments about my opinions or what I 'believe' on the matter. I simply quoted Apple's 10Q and pointed out that you decided to leave out some variables in your calculations, in which, at a minimum left you a good 10-15% off the mark, and realistically, more around 20+%.

 

You my friend are the one who decided to get so worked up, told me I was 'hairsplitting' and didn't know what I was talking about...

 

On a different note, you may want to consider asking your doctor about Xanax...

 

400

post #164 of 199
According to this AP article sales of the Galaxy S III are estimated to be 6.5 million out of a total of 50 million. Where did the 19 million come from? Oh and Samsung' record profit is still about half that of Apple's.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/galaxy-phones-drive-samsung-record-004839926.html
post #165 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So… there's no way we can distinguish models, there's no way we can determine what is considered "premium", why not just take the numbers we're given and roll with it instead of trying to nitpick out Apple's (and only Apple's I might add) phones while leaving even worse models with worse software and worse compatibility alone on the other side?

I didn't single out Apple, that would be jragosta. I quite plainly said it affects all manufacturers, they all have smartphones that range from budget to premium
post #166 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

I don't think I've made ANY comments about my opinions or what I 'believe' on the matter. I simply quoted Apple's 10Q and pointed out that you decided to leave out some variables in your calculations, in which, at a minimum left you a good 10-15% off the mark, and realistically, more around 20+%.

You my friend are the one who decided to get so worked up, told me I was 'hairsplitting' and didn't know what I was talking about...

On a different note, you may want to consider asking your doctor about Xanax...


10-15% off the mark! No, 20%! Lets's make that 30%.....All pulled totally out of your hat, without an iota of evidence or a cite.

No! That's not an 'opinion' or 'belief' on your part!

Lol. Only from the minds of silly fandroids.
post #167 of 199

Guys, what is Xanax?

post #168 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

It's pathetic to see that when proven wrong you still think you were right in any capacity, even going so far as pretend I'm a toddler despite not knowing how grammar works.

 

How many iPhones have come out since 2007? Please say six.

 

My original, innocent post was the genesis for the ensuing conversation (see page one of the comments) by mentioning "iPhone 5".

 

Yet, you've proceeded to debate and correct everyone over the definition of "iPhone 5" with what one might say, as evidenced above, in a condescending tone.

 

It's so comforting to know that we have such a knowledgeable moderator like you to keep us retards in line.

 

That said, what is your role as moderator anyway?

 

Your bully pulpit schtick is old and tired.

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply
post #169 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

lol......so what was the latest iPhone called? Surely it was the iPhone 6???? Oh wait no it is called the iPhone 4S!!!! So what naming scheme has Apple followed you ask? Well let me explain that to you...so far they have followed iPhone 3G, then iPhone 3Gs, then iPhone 4...then the latest one is the iPhone 4S with Siri...you know the one you just bought in the picture. So nowhere do you see any kind of naming scheme based on the generation or iteration of the phone.....But Apple could very well just call the next iPhone just "iPhone" kind of like they have done with the iPad.

 

Everybody but you seems to understand that the iPhone 5 will be the iPhone 5.

 

The naming convention for the series has to do with capabilities. The 4S has slightly more features but from a developers standpoint -- it's relatively the same machine. The 5 will have a higher res display and some other capabilities which need to be targeted. Sure, ultimately it's all marketing, but with Apple, at least the "generations" mean something to developers. A 3G or 3Gs only has minor differences.

 

So can you stop adding more noise than signal on this? It's silly. Just move on.

post #170 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


10-15% off the mark! No, 20%! Lets's make that 30%.....All pulled totally out of your hat, without an iota of evidence or a cite.
No! That's not an 'opinion' or 'belief' on your part!
Lol. Only from the minds of silly fandroids.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Huh? What 'securities laws' are they violating? Do you know anything about securities laws?
I think I know the answer.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If you don't understand the basics of revenue recognition -- and the seriousness that it entails by way of penalties for misrepresentation -- and the difference between that and the weasel-y notion of some consultant-generated "shipments" number, I am not even going to try to start. There is no law that says that you can't wallow in ignorance.

 

I will give you a hint though, if you're truly interested in learning: you want to combine the audited sales data with the "channel inventory" number that Apple always reports (or brings up in its conf call with analysts) to get at how many are actually in consumers' hands.

 

You sure do spend a lot of time telling people they know nothing considering how little you prove that you know.  You like to say you know about accounting standards and securities laws (or at least imply that you know more than the person you're insulting) but then you hide behind the 5 year old's strategy of "not telling you what I know because you're too dumb."  Either grow up or grow a pair and show what you know because I'm calling your bluff.  You know absolutely nothing.
post #171 of 199
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post
Everybody but you seems to understand that the iPhone 5 will be the iPhone 5.

 

Did you mean to quote me? Because that's still wrong, anyway.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #172 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

 

True, but if they are offered for free or nearly free to customers, they're much easier to get rid of and could inflate those order numbers quite a bit.

 

If I can purchase an iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S for 0.00$ from my local providers, dos that mean hte same for apple?

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #173 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

.....show what you know because I'm calling your bluff.

What do you want to know? It would help if I knew.

 

--

PS: I'll check back tomorrow. Getting late where I am.

post #174 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What do you want to know? It would help if I knew.

 

--

PS: I'll check back tomorrow. Getting late where I am.

 

Tell me all about revenue recognition and securities laws and how they affect Apple.

 

PS: When you Google the answers tonight before getting back to me tomorrow, make sure you don't pick the top articles because that's too easy to trace.

post #175 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

 

 

That said, what is your role as moderator anyway?

 

 

 

 

He deletes the spam.  He's kind of like the old guy you see in front of a hotel, with a miniature broom and dustpan, sweeping up the gum wrappers and cigarette butts.

 

But he needs to be told not to talk to the guests.  He bothers them.

post #176 of 199
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post
But he needs to be told not to talk to the guests.  He bothers them.

 

Then start a thread in the Feedback subforum.

 

I'm sure they'll listen to you, Connie.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #177 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

 

Everybody but you seems to understand that the iPhone 5 will be the iPhone 5.

 

The naming convention for the series has to do with capabilities. The 4S has slightly more features but from a developers standpoint -- it's relatively the same machine. The 5 will have a higher res display and some other capabilities which need to be targeted. Sure, ultimately it's all marketing, but with Apple, at least the "generations" mean something to developers. A 3G or 3Gs only has minor differences.

 

So can you stop adding more noise than signal on this? It's silly. Just move on.

what is funny is if you read the whole thread and comprehended it.....you would see that i was saying it was going to be called the iPhone 5. The moderator Tallest Skil was saying was NOT going to be called iPhone 5

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #178 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota_Steve View Post


There are a lot of devices outside the USA, but also, inside the USA Apple sells half of the smartphones, plus iPod touches and iPads. No doubt Apple should be most popular at an airport in Florida. A lot of evidence around the net suggest about 1/2of Android phones are really used more like feature phones than like app phones. That should further skew wi-fi data to Apple.

 

Also keep in mind most Android phones are 4G, and a good number of the new models are LTE.  Meaning that connecting to WIFI isn't really necessary.  I know I don't bother with signing onto secured WIFI networks if I can get a network signal, it's a pain... 

post #179 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Yes, much of the technology Apple uses was invented by others. Yet it was Apple that consolidated existing technology and integrated it into a way to make the world's best selling phone - and the world's most widely copied phone.
Exactly. Apple sold 27 M premium phones. Samsung sold 52 M phones of all types - everything from high end phones to midrange phones to idiot phones and even feature phones.
Ferrari could sell more cars if they sold a subcompact economy car, too. But why should they?

 

  why the constant alignment of Apple iphone to ferrari, porsche or whatever? and android to a 'subcompact'

 

 

Ferrari is in the upper echelon of motorvehicle performance and electronics, in a pretty shell. 


My iphone 4s offers no real difference in the electronics compared with many other available phones, but it has a far prettier shell.

 

the iphone 3gs that i can get for 0$ on contract, is this premium, or subcompact?  

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #180 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I can tell you exactly what average price each of the 26.03M iPhones was sold at. It's a pretty impressive number: $624 per handset (p. 26 of 10Q filed with SEC from Tuesday).

 

I can assure you that if 3GSs were being given away and in large numbers (as you imply), the 4 and 4S must be selling for some astounding average price! But I am quite content with $624 per handset.

 

The 3gs is given away, in the same way many android, bb and wndows phones are given away.  

In my country, 3gs and 4 are available for no cost, and iphone 4s for a small fee.


Apple still makes their price.


Just like free android device manufacterers still receive their price

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #181 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

 

It is a drug that helps people like anantksundaram not freak out upon hearing the phrase 'Samsung' or any statement that doesn't support 'Apple is God's gift to this planet'...aka...'a chill pill'...

I though that's what heroin and Prozac are for.

 

OK I know what was wrong with opium, but is Prozac out of the market already or it doesn't work anymore?

post #182 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

The 3gs is given away, in the same way many android, bb and wndows phones are given away.  


In my country, 3gs and 4 are available for no cost, and iphone 4s for a small fee.


Apple still makes their price.


Just like free android device manufacterers still receive their price

Sure. There's nothing to disagree with, there. Nor have I ever. But the important point is that the average selling price of -- and hence, profits from -- an Apple phone is likely substantially higher than that of a Samsung phone.
post #183 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Tell me all about revenue recognition and securities laws and how they affect Apple.

PS: When you Google the answers tonight before getting back to me tomorrow, make sure you don't pick the top articles because that's too easy to trace.

Your questions are quite broad and vague (and my reference to securities law was only in response to cameronj specifically bringing it up), but I'll try.

Oh, I know you're trying to be sarcastic, but fwiw, I did not have to "Google the answers" last night.

1) First, note that Apple's revenue recognition policies are clearly laid out in its footnotes. Essentially, the actual sales for the quarter can be calculated as (reported sales for the quarter, which are net of returns) plus (channel inventory at the beginning of the quarter) minus (channel inventory at the end of the quarter). All data that Apple presents or makes available for its investors. It comes out pretty close to the reported sales number.

FYI, Apple is the only handset manufacturer that reports both dollar and volume figures. Granted, it includes some services and accessories, but I'll bet that is no more than a small handful of percentage points. (That's my guess, since there's no precise data on that. But it's based on what I've seen in many analyst reports I've read).

2) The securities law point was, as I said, in response to cameronj bringing it up. Also, if you read the thread, it was referring to Samsung, not Apple. So I can only answer in that context (since I don't know what your question really means in relation to Apple). He said that Samsung would be in violation of securities laws (presumably US laws) if they did not report (I think it was implied) handset sales. They would not be. The reason? As an ADR (which is how foreign company stocks trade in the US), Samsung has to report using something called Form 20-F, which does not quite rise to the level of a 10-K. Companies from a whole host of countries -- including S Korea -- are exempted from 10-K requirements (especially segment reporting requirements) if the 20-F meets local reporting requirement -- and in the case of non-exempt countries, IFRS -- criteria (you can Google 'IFRS').

Hope that helps.
Edited by anantksundaram - 7/27/12 at 6:57am
post #184 of 199
Boring thread, ludicrously intellectually dishonest comments, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

According to this AP article sales of the Galaxy S III are estimated to be 6.5 million out of a total of 50 million.(...) http://finance.yahoo.com/news/galaxy-phones-drive-samsung-record-004839926.html
There is no such a claim in the article you quoted...
post #185 of 199

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post
post about profit margins

 

 

I do think Apple profit margins cannot be substain.  But I dont think is will drop on problems with there component makers or subsidises.  The ipad grows more than the iphone so at some point the iphone revenu ratio will reduce while the ipad ratio will increase. Since the ipad margins are much lower than the iphone margins, it will affect the average margin.  I also hope that at some point the macs take some PC market share, to help diversified income. 

 

I dont like the fact that 50% of Apple revenu comes from the iphone. This increase the risk for Apple investors because a bad new iphone would send the stocks way down. Hopefully Apple will launch a new product in the next few years to help diversified its product line.

post #186 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Quote:

I dont like the fact that 50% of Apple revenu comes from the iphone. This increase the risk for Apple investors ......

I totally agree with this.
post #187 of 199
Smartphone manufacturers, 2Q year-to-year changes / current market share :

Samsung : +172% / 32.6%
Apple : +27% / 16.9%
Nokia : -39% / 6.6%
HTC : -24% / 5.7%
ZTE : +300% / 5.2%

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23624612
post #188 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


You may need to go back and read what they wrote, they said Apple sold 27m premium phones, the iPhone 3GS is not a premium phone, is it is budget phone. It is in the same class as the cheap Android phones people go on about

 

I think I really must beg to differ. Price isn't the only measure of "premium".

 

I still use a 3GS… it isn't any less "premium" than when I bought it. Granted, it isn't the top-of-the-line today, but the fact is, Apple simply doesn't make or sell any phones that really fall below the 'premium' range...

 

Even their 'two models back' phones are considered premium, even at a discount...

 

But, to avoid a long and unnecessary argument, let's try to agree on what "premium" means. 

 

I think it's more about whether a phone is "higher end", not just "higher priced"… my 3GS runs iOS 5 … does pretty much everything a 4S does (except Siri and a couple of other new features). It's still a high-end phone (NOT AT ALL like the cheap Android phones others make and sell), and so is still 'premium' in my book...


Edited by tribalogical - 7/27/12 at 9:03am
post #189 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


I totally agree with this.

 

I wouldn't over worry about it… the iPad is picking up an ever greater share of overall revenue, which balances the load somewhat… Macs are still a healthy segment, and growing, although only incrementally, it's growth in an otherwise down market… I think we'll see more growth there too over time...

 

Still, if the iPhone continues to be 50% of their income, that can be a bit too dependent… I'd like to see a continued re-balancing take place.

post #190 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Your questions are quite broad and vague (and my reference to securities law was only in response to cameronj specifically bringing it up), but I'll try.
Oh, I know you're trying to be sarcastic, but fwiw, I did not have to "Google the answers" last night.
1) First, note that Apple's revenue recognition policies are clearly laid out in its footnotes. Essentially, the actual sales for the quarter can be calculated as (reported sales for the quarter, which are net of returns) plus (channel inventory at the beginning of the quarter) minus (channel inventory at the end of the quarter). All data that Apple presents or makes available for its investors. It comes out pretty close to the reported sales number.
FYI, Apple is the only handset manufacturer that reports both dollar and volume figures. Granted, it includes some services and accessories, but I'll bet that is no more than a small handful of percentage points. (That's my guess, since there's no precise data on that. But it's based on what I've seen in many analyst reports I've read).
2) The securities law point was, as I said, in response to cameronj bringing it up. Also, if you read the thread, it was referring to Samsung, not Apple. So I can only answer in that context (since I don't know what your question really means in relation to Apple). He said that Samsung would be in violation of securities laws (presumably US laws) if they did not report (I think it was implied) handset sales. They would not be. The reason? As an ADR (which is how foreign company stocks trade in the US), Samsung has to report using something called Form 20-F, which does not quite rise to the level of a 10-K. Companies from a whole host of countries -- including S Korea -- are exempted from 10-K requirements (especially segment reporting requirements) if the 20-F meets local reporting requirement -- and in the case of non-exempt countries, IFRS -- criteria (you can Google 'IFRS').
Hope that helps.

 

This is the kind of post I enjoy reading.  It has substance and no insults!  Thank you very much.  Now, I want to clarify your point on the revenue recognition a bit as it has been posted in this thread and others that Apple recognizes a sale upon shipment except in the case of online sales, education sales, and "some other sales."  You agree with that right?

post #191 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

 

I think I really must beg to differ. Price isn't the only measure of "premium".

 

I still use a 3GS… it isn't any less "premium" than when I bought it. Granted, it isn't the top-of-the-line today, but the fact is, Apple simply doesn't make or sell any phones that really fall below the 'premium' range...

 

Even their 'two models back' phones are considered premium, even at a discount...

 

But, to avoid a long and unnecessary argument, let's try to agree on what "premium" means. 

 

I think it's more about whether a phone is "higher end", not just "higher priced"… my 3GS runs iOS 5 … does pretty much everything a 4S does (except Siri and a couple of other new features). It's still a high-end phone (NOT AT ALL like the cheap Android phones others make and sell), and so is still 'premium' in my book...

 

It's not all about materials and build quality or a checklist of features; those obviously do not deteriorate over time (not over 2 years anyway).  It's about the user experience and specs relative to current offerings of competitors and even Apple's other products.  Right now, the 3GS has a screen, chipset, radio, and camera that are all very much outdated.  Furthermore, it is relatively slow to load heavy webpages and is a bit sluggish when moving throughout the UI on iOS 5 (just going by hearsay on the iOS 5 part).  At this point the 3GS is truly an entry level smartphone with a high end brand name. 

post #192 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

 

Everybody but you seems to understand that the iPhone 5 will be the iPhone 5.

 

The naming convention for the series has to do with capabilities. The 4S has slightly more features but from a developers standpoint -- it's relatively the same machine. The 5 will have a higher res display and some other capabilities which need to be targeted. Sure, ultimately it's all marketing, but with Apple, at least the "generations" mean something to developers. A 3G or 3Gs only has minor differences.

 

So can you stop adding more noise than signal on this? It's silly. Just move on.

The only consistent predictor of when Apple changes numbers on the iPhone is a change in physical appearance.  Not capabilities.  3G to 3GS was only minor differences?  Absurd!  Just because you can't see the differences doesn't mean they weren't large.  

 

Naming went from iPhone (1) to (3G and 3GS), to (4 and 4S).  Lack of number, to 3, to 4.  Next number could be 6, could be 5, could be another lack of number.  There isn't enough history to use it for prediction, and what history there is doesn't linearly lead anywhere.  Finally this is not a natural or mathematical phenomenon, this is a branding decision by a company run by different people over the years.

 

The next iPhone will be the 6th model, that much is certain.  It is also certain that it will be named whatever Apple names it.  What "everyone" understands has nothing to do with what the future will hold.  Everyone used to think the world was flat.  Turned out they were wrong.  But you'd be busy telling Columbus that it was flat and he was an idiot because popular opinion disagreed.

post #193 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Your questions are quite broad and vague (and my reference to securities law was only in response to cameronj specifically bringing it up), but I'll try.
2) The securities law point was, as I said, in response to cameronj bringing it up. Also, if you read the thread, it was referring to Samsung, not Apple. So I can only answer in that context (since I don't know what your question really means in relation to Apple). He said that Samsung would be in violation of securities laws (presumably US laws) if they did not report (I think it was implied) handset sales. They would not be. The reason? As an ADR (which is how foreign company stocks trade in the US), Samsung has to report using something called Form 20-F, which does not quite rise to the level of a 10-K. Companies from a whole host of countries -- including S Korea -- are exempted from 10-K requirements (especially segment reporting requirements) if the 20-F meets local reporting requirement -- and in the case of non-exempt countries, IFRS -- criteria (you can Google 'IFRS').
Hope that helps.

What makes you think that the USA is the only country where a company must tell the truth when reporting its financial results?

post #194 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I think I really must beg to differ. Price isn't the only measure of "premium".

That is your opinion, that is ok. But according to your opinion every model of smartphone that Samsung sells is also premium, because they also match all the logic you have in measuring your 3GS as premium.

By the same logic my Nokia 7650 is still premium, as it still has the premium features that it came with in 2002, the same as my Nokia E65 from 2007

The fact is a 3GS purchased today cannot be classed as premium compared to a iPhone 4, or 4S
post #195 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The number does NOT represent the generation number, only did on the iPhone4.

So you don't think there's a problem with giving a product a name that has nothing to do with the product? You'd be fine with Apple releasing a purple laptop and calling it the "WinScribe Blue"?

Of course not. If there is going to be a version number in a product, it should relate to the version. If it's a marketing number, it is just that. Meaning Office 2010 coming out in the year 2009, or whatever, is strange. Anyhoo, next iPhone is the 6th gen, that's indisputable. Probably called just iPhone. And yes, people calling it iPhone 5 may lack an eye for detail, don't really care, are stupid... I don't know. But when someone explains it and then still fail to understand the reasoning, I should leave the thread.

Funny enough, I had a colleague once who used to work for a company called Blue Square and their logo was a red circle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Excellent post! I'd hit the 'Add to reputation' button but can't on an iPad.

Touch it twice.

[/quote]

I did. I do. I try. That only works on the quote and reply buttons, not the Add to Reputation one. Which seems to be of the exact same HTML, strangely enough.

OT: whassup with all the single-digid-IQ-people posting in this thread?
Android seems to be an illiterate product, as they only have numbers to show for.
Reply
Android seems to be an illiterate product, as they only have numbers to show for.
Reply
post #196 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Boring thread, ludicrously intellectually dishonest comments, etc.
There is no such a claim in the article you quoted...
OK well it was there when I posted this. But wire stories from the likes of AP, Reuters etc do sometimes get changed. Besides if I wanted to be dishonest I would have reported a number a lot lower tha. 6.5m. :lol|
post #197 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Smartphone manufacturers, 2Q year-to-year changes / current market share :
Samsung : +172% / 32.6%
Apple : +27% / 16.9%
Nokia : -39% / 6.6%
HTC : -24% / 5.7%
ZTE : +300% / 5.2%
http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23624612
So really the ones that need to worry most about Samsung are HTC and Nokia.
post #198 of 199

anantksundaram is a little too naive to think that number/financial  reporting is the holy grail of all truths in the world of business. It is far from it. Many of these US companies/US listed companies were thought to be "telling the truth" until they got caught cooking their books. We can name Enron, CA, JP Morgan, Oracle, IBM, Nortel, Worldcom, Chevron, Tyco, AIG, Freddie Mac, Lehman Brothers, GM and the list goes on and on. Many of these companies had gone kaput while others are still doing business even now. The ones still existing, for example, got away because the SEC penalized them with the amount so ludicrously small, what amounted as nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

 

Apple is also currently "cooking" their book too by actually not paying the taxes they actually owe to the Fed because so much of its money was being stockpiled overseas. One of the calculations even accused of Apple only paying half as much taxes as it should have. Unfortunately, Apple is far from the only US companies doing this "magic trick". So, whether the numbers actually represent product being shipped or being sold, it doesn't matter because eventually the truth will come out anyway. The problem is, with bigger companies, they can actually hide "hiring the cooks" in their financial kitchen for a long long time before their house-of-cards finances collapse and bringing down all their investors and shareholders with them.

 

Methink, everyone should be cynical and critical about financial reportings made by any companies under the sun. Notwithstanding, The numbers release by the likes of Apple, Google, Samsung, Facebook, Microsoft, Pfizer, Exxon Mobil or even any mom and pop's tiny business ventures. They all lie with their numbers for their own benefit. Do you think you know so much about the company you idolize or own the shares of? Think again. YOU actually will have to put so much of your faith and confidence at the hand of the very people who make a living playing with numbers and selling their confidence to people like you. It's a con game v.13.7.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

What makes you think that the USA is the only country where a company must tell the truth when reporting its financial results?

post #199 of 199

couldnt agree more. most people of that demography dont even really know much about phones, they see it as a fad. there is nothing wrong with that though, but its simple and it looks nice and its a phone that can apeal to young or old. because lets face it android is way more sophisticated than ios.that is what i like about apple. SIMPLE

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung smartphone shipments estimated at 52M, doubling Apple's iPhone