or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Highly confidential' iPad, iPhone prototypes revealed in court documents

'Highly confidential' iPad, iPhone prototypes revealed in court documents - Page 2

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

If you marry the two, you will get a bastard phone...., called...., yes my child an Iphone....

It's so obvious that's exactly what Apple did!!1! You should be an industrial designer, seeing as you have the design process all nailed and all.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #42 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

At least in a couple months we'll get more Doctor Who. Steven Moffat is my favorite TV writer. Have you seen Coupling or Sherlock?

Moffat is absolutely fantastic. Sherlock is one of the best made mini-series I have seen. As for Coupling, well, it is my favourite series. Phenomenally funny and an excellent cast. It's a pity Richard Coyle opted out of Season 4. I haven't seen him in anything since though.

post #43 of 76
Quote:

Uhm ya..., 2006 Apple had the i-bastard "prototype", but in 2006 both Sony Ericsson C-63 and LG Prada's final products were already released. When these two already released their products by 2006, you can bet their respective prototypes ought to have been existed way before then. I guess you have trouble to think chronologically. As if shooting yourself in a foot, you also admitted that it was not until 2010 when Apple perfected the i-bastard. And, here's the kicker, of all possible "prototypes", you chose the one with Sony logo on it. Of course, you'll say the logo meant "inspired by..." instead of "copied from..." Sony. Hilarious. I don;t know whether Sony should feel "flattered" or "flabbergasted" by this blatant ["inspiration"/"copy"] of their products by Apple.

LG had decided not to sue Apple in 2007 because LG supplied certain parts for I-bastard, ehr..., Iphone, but now after the phenomenal success of Apple-inspired-by device, LG should start thinking about suing Apple for billions of dollars, and LG will win the claim hands down. 

My point was, the fact that Apple had this prototype in 2006 shows the iPhone 4 was not a copy of the Prada but a refinement of their own design. And why would LG sue Apple in 2007 for a phone Apple didn't release until 2010? Also no where in these documents is Samsung claiming Apple "copied" the Sony Ericsson C-63. Their claim is Apple passed around a Businessweek interview with someone st Sony who explained how they thought a device should be designed. No where in that interview do they specifically mention a black bar with silver band. The mockup with the Sony logo is Apple designers creating something based on what they felt a Sony phone might look like, not an actual Sony product that was available to the public. The Sony Ericsson C-63 you reference.....remind me again when that was available for the public to buy? I'm only aware of it being a concept, not something that was ever sold to the public. And anyway no one in their right mind would mistake any iPhone for that concept.
post #44 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It is an Apple design, they put the Sony logo on there to illustrate what they thought a Sony designed phone might look like (though I don't think any of them did at that time).

Or perhaps they put the Sony logo on there so that in the event of a leak no one would think it was from Apple and would just dismiss it. 

post #45 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's absolutely no way Intel made the MacBook Air. The mistake here is actually listening to those idiotic comments.

Yes, our mods should remove anti Apple tripe / wink

This one is on par with that other big lie, 'Bill Gates saved Apple with his tiny purchase of Apple stock' .... Never mind the the truth about QuickTime theft, penalties and saving face tactics and agreed PR stratedgy.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #46 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Samsungs now look like us. And they have a plan.

My first reaction was that was very funy then I thought ... Wait a minute ....
post #47 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh I miss Battlestar Galactica.
EDit: Oh I miss Cylon Number Six.

Mmmm, six. There is certainly a dearth of good scifi shows on the air today, IMHO.

On topic, I think that phone proto type looks pretty good. Making the leap to a full faced touch screen phone must have been difficult to do.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #48 of 76
i love the "coffin" iPhone show on the verge's photo gallery!... quite the special edition, just for the once "goth" scene. IMO

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/26/3191793/apple-iphone-prototype-pictures#3597770

well when i think about it, it is the precursor to the original iPhone, meaning they rounded the corners of the iPhone prototype...
post #49 of 76
Quote:

That's what I thought but man you get these people who write as if they really know their shit, when clearly they don't. I must say though the comments at The Verge are much more balanced than anything you'd get at Engadget or CNET. You get more intelligent conversation and less trolling. I guess the good posters left Engadget and flocked to The Verge.

If the incessant cr4p we get here from the fandroids keeps up -- it's getting to the stage where Gresham's law is increasingly at work -- I'll probably end up on Verge too.

post #50 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

prove it

There's nothing to prove to people like you.

post #51 of 76
Quote:

Court documents show Samsung's unhealthy obsession with all things Apple.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/27/3192614/samsungs-beat-apple-strategy-copying-court-documents

I love this. "Like heaven and earth." Just about says it all. Truer words have not been spoken. And, to think that's from Samsung! lol.gif

post #52 of 76
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
I love this. "Like heaven and earth." Just about says it all. Truer words have not been spoken. And, to think that's from Samsung! lol.gif

From the link:

The most common pattern is that a customer returns the product which was purchased because the customer thought it was an Apple iPad2 [sic]

TENS. OF. BILLIONS. IN. DAMAGES. Samsung has absolutely no chance to win anything here. Heck, make it 100 billion.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #53 of 76
Quote:

From the link:

TENS. OF. BILLIONS. IN. DAMAGES. Samsung has absolutely no chance to win anything here. Heck, make it 100 billion.

Can you imagine what other gems we might have found had Samsung not "accidentally" erased emails?

post #54 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Can you imagine what other gems we might have found had Samsung not "accidentally" erased emails?

Yep. Absolutely incredible. Even the stuff that didn't get 'accidentally' erased is pretty damning.

Imagine "The most common pattern is that a customer returns the product which was purchased because the customer thought it was an Apple iPad2 [sic]" being in their business documents. Pretty much proves Apple's case for them.

It also should shut up all the Samsung shills here who keep insisting that no one could possibly confuse them. So not only are Samsung's attorneys unable to tell the difference, but Samsung's customers are confused by the slavish copies, as well.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #55 of 76

I thought Apple destroyed all their prototypes after two weeks.

post #56 of 76
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post
I thought Apple destroyed all their prototypes after two weeks.

Where'd you hear that? Though I suppose this could be destroyed by now.

On that note, I want one of these as my landline. It's still gorgeous.

post #57 of 76
Quote:

Where'd you hear that? Though I suppose this could be destroyed by now.

On that note, I want one of these as my landline. It's still gorgeous.

hahah

and oops that is Samsung emails that get destroyed after two weeks. My bad

post #58 of 76
Leaving alone the LG Prada anteriority, Samsung will clearly pull that -relevant- string.

"Apple Looked to Sony for iPhone Design Inspiration"
http://www.pcworld.com/article/259842/apple_looked_to_sony_for_iphone_design_inspiration.html
post #59 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

prove it

I hate to quote a hack like Carl Sagan but you have it entirely backwards here.  

"The onus for proof is always on the one making the outlandish claim."  

Person 1: "The sky is not blue, it's pink." (outlandish claim)

Person 2: "No it's not, it's clearly blue." 

You (to Person 2): "Prove it!"

post #60 of 76

Folk, any dates on these Apple prototypes, I think everyone including Samsung assumes they are from 2006. If I have to venture an educated guess these prototype or mock up go back to early 2000's not a year or two before the introduction of the iphone. They do these long before they ever commit a hardware to a cad drawing. These ideas along with the actual GUI was mocked up 3 to 4 yrs before they actually began making the design and this is what Apple will use to show they were ahead of the competition. Most of the competition was still thinking about putting keyboards and dial pads on their phones until the iPhone came out and showed you no longer need it.

post #61 of 76
Quote:

Just copy the stuff not too "slavishly" you Apple...,you... Uhm..., maybe not.

On the left, Sony Ericsson 63. On the right LG Prada. Both of these are 

from 2006.

If you marry the two, you will get a bastard phone...., called...., yes my child an Iphone....

It goes to show how "innovative" Apple really is. Or, if you prefer you can fill in the blank below. 

Apple is "innovative" in .............[my personal favorite is: bastardizing other people's products]

You're twisting the facts around here a bit.  Yes, the Prada came out in 2006, but only in December and only for limited sale in Europe at the time.  The iPhone was first shown less than a month later, even though your post implies it was a whole year.  

What you are really missing however is that the documents show that Apple *knew* that a design like this was very similar to Sony's designs (thus the "SONY" and "JONY" on the prototypes), and specifically went a different direction.  The iPhone had a completely different design from either of these phones for over three years.  It is only three years later when a similar appearing design was used for the iPhone 4, after both Sony and Prada had moved on.  There is also a big difference between "looking" the same and being designed the same.  

So your implication that Apple was sitting around looking at Sony's designs and then just copied them for the iPhone is pretty far off from the reality of the situation.  

post #62 of 76
Quote:

So, you are saying, in your twisted logic, since it doesn't look alike to any of these for the first three years, it's OK then to "copy/steal/be inspired" by these designs on the fourth year and then call it as Apple's original? This is hilarious. This kind of logic I guess can only exist in the mind of an an Apple f4nboi. But, at least, indirectly, you had admitted the existence of the I-bastard called Iphone would not be possible without the helps of its mama and papa Bastard.

No,it isn't. It's the same difference. The fact that Iphone  is "looking/being designed" the same as either of these two phones means I-bastard [or call it Iphone or whatever] wasn't an original idea, like most of all Apple fanbois so vigorously claim it to be.  As I said earlier, there was no other manufacturers in the world that can beat Sony's aesthetic. Yes, in the also-ran of world of aesthetic, Apple is on this list, but it is the worst one because it treats their "bastardizations" of others' designs as its own patented designs. It's very laughable and sad. But, Apple is laughing all the way to the bank with their bastardized products.

are you trying to suggest the iphone was designed in a month?

post #63 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

are you trying to suggest the iphone was designed in a month?

Are you suggesting the  already released LG Prada and other countless Sony phones being "inspired upon" to make I-bastard by Sir "Sony" Ives' team were made and designed in just one month? You, an Apple f4nboi, will have to admit Sony is Apple's God of aesthetic. If there's no Sony, there'll be no Apple. Is that clear enough?

Do you know what's funny? Even after isolating themselves within Apple's super isolation design castle, "Sony" Ives' team could only manage something that looks like an I-bastard. Excuses being given were "inspired by" instead of "copied/stolen" from Sony's design. It's sad and pathetic. Sony design house runs gazilion circles over "Sony" Ives' team. You just wait until Sony decide to bring Apple to court, and I think at this rate of Apple polluting the court with its outlandish claims of "patented design", it's about time that Sony teach Apple a lesson.

Edited by mcrs - 7/28/12 at 10:50pm
post #64 of 76
Are you suggesting the already released LG Prada and other countless Sony phones being "inspired upon" to make I-bastard by Sir "Sony" Ives' team were made and designed in just one month?

Your argument was proven fallacy over five years ago. Stop spouting this nonsense if you want to stick around. I'm certain THAT ⬆ has removed all potential credibility you might have otherwise had.

post #65 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Most of the competition was still thinking about putting keyboards and dial pads on their phones until the iPhone came out and showed you no longer need it.

???

I haven't owned a phone with a dial pad since 2004. All of my phones (bar one), purchased before the iphone was released, have had 3.5" (or larger) touch screens. Wow, I didn't realise that I owe apple sooo much... 

post #66 of 76
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

I haven't owned a phone with a dial pad since 2004.

Hey, same here! Except I'm… still using the phone I got in 2004. lol.gif

All of my phones (bar one), purchased before the iphone was released, have had 3.5" (or larger) touch screens. 

You wouldn't happen to remember the interfaces or how the touchscreens worked on those, would you? lol.gif

post #67 of 76
Quote:

Hey, same here! Except I'm… still using the phone I got in 2004. lol.gif

You wouldn't happen to remember the interfaces or how the touchscreens worked on those, would you? lol.gif

I spent about 8 years with Windows Mobile, so I must have enjoyed the experience. The OS had more than it's fair share of bugs, some minor and some pretty annoying, but hey, who ever heard of a bug free OS. Being a windows user I found the drill down menu very easy to use. The apps that I used most frequently were saved to the home screen as shortcut icons. i had a home screen button if I wanted to access them instantly Other programs that I used less frequently were stored in their own respective directories, eg network scanning tools/packet sniffers.

The out of the box the experience was far from perfect,by that i mean that the phone was usable but the OS never felt polished, it was very much a wok in progress. MicroSoft took a very hands off approach and allowed the cooking of custom roms. Often these roms allowed one to trade off between speed and relliability. Don't forget that arm processors and the cost of ram in the "olden days" were very different to today. MS didn't seem to mind that owners were upgrading to the latest OS for free, perhaps this is because the user base was relatively small. The only time that problems arose were when custom roms for a samsung (for example) included HTC IP; TruFlo, Sense etc. Other than that we were allowed to do what ever we wanted, we had root control over our handsets (long before google entered the game).

In the early days apps were fully fledged programs that were resource hungry, not surprising when you consider that internet speeds on mobile networks were so pitiful. The advantage of this was that you didn't have a paper weight when ever you were out of range of a decent signal, ie you could still work. The downside was that you didn't  have the kind of apps that I find useful now, such as "real time" London Transport info, to be fair, London Tansport didn't even offer that info via the web in those days.

With regard to the use of the touch screen, it had initially been optimised for small screens and thus phones were supplied with a stylus, that said, navigating with your finger on a screen 3.5 inches or larger was quite easy and later updates such as HTCs truFlo had the ability to distinguish between a stylus and finger. Being resistive, the screens were far from perfect for showing high quality video but I had already been through the whole "omigod I can watch video on my mp3 player" years before ipods were able to and decided that it was little more than a novelty.

There was no pinch to zoom but when reading text on sites such as this, a double tap would allow one to optimally fill the screen with the text that was relevant. The only WM phone that I owned with a "small screen" had a click ipod B&O dial that zoomed in and out and had the advantage of only needing one finger.

I have no doubt that some of the members here will dismiss my experience because I was a long time owner of an OS that was at best a niche product, Frankly I don't care what phone people have and don't need to see lots of other people buying the same thing to affirm that i have the best phone..

The (main) problem with WM was that it years ahead of its time. It was flawed but without it we might not have the incarnations of IOs that currently exist and without iOS WP7 might not exist.. Bash MS if you must but remember that apple owe them much and equally they owe apple much .

post #68 of 76

The (main) problem with WM was that it years ahead of its time. It was flawed but without it we might not have the incarnations of IOs that currently exist and without iOS WP7 might not exist.. Bash MS if you must but remember that apple owe them much and equally they owe apple much .

I appreciate what Windows Phone 7 is, and I actively root for Microsoft to improve it to make it a legitimate contender in the mobile OS race.

But what does Apple owe the thieves that ruined desktop computing for 20 years?

post #69 of 76
Quote:

The (main) problem with WM was that it [was] years ahead of its time.

You mean it needed HW that was much more powerful for the poorly optimized code that it ran? I'll grant you that.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #70 of 76

I hate Apple for doing this. Seriously, as consumer. I even switched iPad3 for Dell Laptop to type this. Here you go! Viewsonic V35/V37! My first PDA with PocketPC 2002 and pocket framework.  Is it rectangle enough with round corners? 

post #71 of 76
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post

I hate Apple for doing this. Seriously, as consumer. I even switched iPad3 for Dell Laptop to type this. Here you go! Viewsonic V35/V37! My first PDA with PocketPC 2002 and pocket framework.  Is it rectangle enough with round corners? 

post #72 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You mean it needed HW that was much more powerful for the poorly optimized code that it ran? I'll grant you that.

What like 3G?

post #73 of 76
Quote:

I appreciate what Windows Phone 7 is, and I actively root for Microsoft to improve it to make it a legitimate contender in the mobile OS race.

But what does Apple owe the thieves that ruined desktop computing for 20 years?

WP is already a legitamate contender (bar sales). I guess the biggest problem that MS currently have is that there is not enough to entice owners away from their current iOS or Adroid ecosystem. That and the fact that MS aren't seen as "sexy" enough...

post #74 of 76
WP is already a legitamate contender (bar sales).

Doesn't that immediately stop it from being a contender? That's like saying "He certainly has a shot to win this race, he just needs to run this time."

post #75 of 76
Quote:

Doesn't that immediately stop it from being a contender? That's like saying "He certainly has a shot to win this race, he just needs to run this time."

We seem to be interpreting "contender" in differing ways. To me a "legitimate contender" is one who has a realistic chance in a competition. 

post #76 of 76
We seem to be interpreting "contender" in differing ways. To me a "legitimate contender" is one who has a realistic chance in a competition. 

Well, when WP7 gets more than 2% marketshare, you let us know.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Highly confidential' iPad, iPhone prototypes revealed in court documents