or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wins stay on posting 'Samsung did not copy iPad' UK notice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple wins stay on posting 'Samsung did not copy iPad' UK notice - Page 2

post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post


Hrmmmm.....the subject is trial strategy.  Here we have an opinion as to trial strategy by a person who has never been to law school, not even the worst law school in the entire country, not even attaining a rank of the bottom of the class.  A guy who has never, not even once in his life, decided upon proper trial strategy.

And he's saying that the trial strategy is 180 degrees off - that it does not advance the case, but instead, that it proves the case brought by the other side.

And on the other side, we have the law firm of QUINN EMANUEL URQUHART & SULLIVAN, LLP, a Madison Avenue firm, with some of the best legal minds on the country.  The lead attorney in the case is Charles K. Verhoeven, Esq.   Who is this guy who supposedly commits a gaffe so horrendous that he proves Apple's case for them?  Who is he?

Sorry, JR, but your opinion is being discarded as uninformed.

And you're simply proving that you have no concept of how legal matters work.

No one said ti was their legal strategy. Rather, these are documents they had to produce in discovery. I'm sure that the attorneys would strongly prefer if those documents had never existed.

Sometimes when you're involved in a lawsuit, there are documents that hurt your case - but you have to produce them, anyway.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


And you're simply proving that you have no concept of how legal matters work.
No one said ti was their legal strategy. Rather, these are documents they had to produce in discovery. I'm sure that the attorneys would strongly prefer if those documents had never existed.
Sometimes when you're involved in a lawsuit, there are documents that hurt your case - but you have to produce them, anyway.

 

 

The image you commented upon was sourced from Samsung's Trial Brief.  If you don't even know the basic facts of the subject matter you are commenting upon, then claiming that a distinguished expert in the field is 180 degrees off the mark is, well, quite a leap.

 

Learn the facts before offering an opinion.  That is pretty much the minimal qualification if you expect not to be corrected.

post #43 of 57

When this whole legal war is over, Samsung will be made to write "We will not copy Apple" 100 times on the blackboard
 

post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It certainly would be a terrible mistake to try to think for yourself.

Well, the real difference is between an informed opinion and a crank saying that an expert is 180 degrees off the mark. I am reminded of those who never in their life studied calculus claiming that General Relativity is a crock. Only cranks do that.

But that's not what he did. Your post #36 was a spectacular combination of ad hominem and strawman fallacies. Ad hom because you invoked jragosta's assumed lack of qualifications in law to dispute his logical argument, and strawman because you tried to turn his argument on the logic of using those images into an argument against Samsung's trial strategy, and then attacked that instead.

I have little time for those who avoid arguing the substance of an issue but instead just yammer on about the qualifications of this or that individual. That applies similarly to those who argue Apple's strategy must be right because Apple is large and successful, but at least Apple is free to pursue whatever course they choose within reason. Defense lawyers have to go with whatever they can use, and often make completely unsustainable arguments just because it's all they have to work with.
post #45 of 57

The judge was simply being an idiot.

 

It's obvious the Tab bears near identical resemblance to an iPad the only place Samsung cares about: online shopping pictures and store shelves.

 

Even if Samsung is to be vindicated, you don't then go and have the plaintiff wear a "badge of shame" for trying to protect the IP it feels was threatened.

 

What's next, a woman who is raped has to wear a T-shirt saying that "so and so never raped me" if the guy is vindicated???

 

Because that is the exact precedent he had just set.

 

And not only would she have to wear it for a year, she would have to pay for the design and production of it...

 

Pure idiocy.  This judge ought to be disbarred.

 

The free advertisement for Samsung isn't any sort of justice either.

 

Some "Justic Dept."

 

More like the circus running the show with clowns behind the bench.

 

 

 

You'd think this guy works for Samsung.  

 

He better watch out.  There was a Spanish judge who was disbarred for retaliation.  that's pretty much what this judge is doing here.  Retaliating on behalf of Samsung.


Edited by 9secondko - 7/27/12 at 1:09pm
post #46 of 57

I think the 'apology' ought to go something like this: show picture of apple iPad , with picture of galaxy 'tab' right next to it- and for once, arranged so both are horizontal or vertical, with the dates of release beneath each. (note how samsung's pictures always show the 'tab' horizontal with apples iPad vertical?) the  text beneath should say something like this: "we at apple are sure you can see that the nice people at samsung, who have had many criminal convictions in korea for industrial espionage and criminal behavior , created  a unique tablet that did not copy the apple iPad, as can be easily seen from the above pictures. it is clear that the galaxy tab, as stated by a trial judge in the UK, is not as cool as the iPad. 

post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platanas View Post

Regarding to different independent rumors, Judge Colin Birss is member and Fan of FC Chelsea football club, which has the main sponsor  SAMSUNG. So it is highly reliable that he is biased. Further there is not any chance for a final stay of this decision, because it infringes several aspects of european laws, especially because in other EU countries trials decided contrary. A publication f.e. in the international edition of newspapers would so contradict other european courts decisions. Probable that this judges career tends to its end now.

Well spotted Platanas ;)

 

 And chelsea's post code is SW6 1HS which is obviously a cryptological anagram of SAMSUNG.

 

Time to call an end to these shenanigans, let's Nuke those commie-cheese eating- surrender monkey- Brits. What have they ever done for the world. Their only contribution to technology was Stephen Hawkings and he died because they have free healthcare.

 

If Steve was still with us he would have made that 9000 year old queen fly over on her broomstick and then threaten to shot her corgis unless she agreed to succeed all sovereign rights of the UK to Apple..

post #48 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platanas View Post

Regarding to different independent rumors, Judge Colin Birss is member and Fan of FC Chelsea football club, which has the main sponsor  SAMSUNG. So it is highly reliable that he is biased. Further there is not any chance for a final stay of this decision, because it infringes several aspects of european laws, especially because in other EU countries trials decided contrary. A publication f.e. in the international edition of newspapers would so contradict other european courts decisions. Probable that this judges career tends to its end now.
Well spotted Platanas 1wink.gif

 And chelsea's post code is SW6 1HS which is obviously a cryptological anagram of SAMSUNG.

Time to call an end to these shenanigans, let's Nuke those commie-cheese eating- surrender monkey- Brits. What have they ever done for the world. Their only contribution to technology was Stephen Hawkings and he died because they have free healthcare.

If Steve was still with us he would have made that 9000 year old queen fly over on her broomstick and then threaten to shot her corgis unless she agreed to succeed all sovereign rights of the UK to Apple..

I assume that you are aware that Hawking is alive and kicking. Well maybe not kicking exactly.
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

The judge was simply being an idiot.

 

It's obvious the Tab bears near identical resemblance to an iPad the only place Samsung cares about: online shopping pictures and store shelves.

 

Even if Samsung is to be vindicated, you don't then go and have the plaintiff wear a "badge of shame" for trying to protect the IP it feels was threatened.

 

What's next, a woman who is raped has to wear a T-shirt saying that "so and so never raped me" if the guy is vindicated???

 

Because that is the exact precedent he had just set.

 

And not only would she have to wear it for a year, she would have to pay for the design and production of it...

 

Pure idiocy.  This judge ought to be disbarred.

 

The free advertisement for Samsung isn't any sort of justice either.

 

Some "Justic Dept."

 

More like the circus running the show with clowns behind the bench.

 

 

 

You'd think this guy works for Samsung.  

 

He better watch out.  There was a Spanish judge who was disbarred for retaliation.  that's pretty much what this judge is doing here.  Retaliating on behalf of Samsung.

 Interesting analogy, as an apple fan, do you feel that samsung have physically violated you?

 

FWIW under UK law if a judge considers that a supposed rape victim has maliciously borne false witness against the alledged rapist he is able to punish themr. It is conceivable that the punitive action could mirror the Apple ruling although given that rape is a serious, life destroying, under reported crime and IP infringements are relatively trivial and minor I doubt that any judge would do so.

 

And will you explain how having to pay for press space equates to advertising Samsung?

 

Ignoring the validity of his judgment re plagiarism- I congratulate the judge for accepting that some firms are so cash rich that alternative forms of punishment need to be considered.

post #50 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


I assume that you are aware that Hawking is alive and kicking. Well maybe not kicking exactly.

 thanks muppetry

 

I was taking the p!ss out of  the republicans for  suggesting that Obama's health plans would result in people like Hawkins dying -"People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the UK, where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless."

post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I assume that you are aware that Hawking is alive and kicking. Well maybe not kicking exactly.
 thanks muppetry

I was taking the p!ss out of  the republicans for  suggesting that Obama's health plans would result in people like Hawkins dying -"People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the UK, where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless."

OK - got it.
post #52 of 57

Apple could always just put it on their site in a completely unreadable font or a size that is not detectable by the human eye or add to the sentence to invalidate it like.

 

 

"In fantasy land Samsung did not copy the Ipad"

 

"In their own twisted mind, Samsung did not copy the Ipad"

 

"If we throw out all logic and sense, Samsung did not copy the ipad"

 

Just a few ideas =)

post #53 of 57
Originally Posted by xRCx View Post
Apple could always just put it on their site in a completely unreadable font or a size that is not detectable by the human eye or add to the sentence to invalidate it like.

 

Ha! Put it in robots.txt. 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #54 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

We'll see where it goes, but sometimes when 'a child' (or in this case, a company) behaves badly (causing undue harm to others) their misdeeds should be made public via a written apology.
..and as for 'certain people' trying to rewrite history, here's the truth:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg32/scaled.php?server=32&filename=screenshot20111201at114.png&res=landing

Except ALL of those tablets used a stylus. All of those tablets used a desktop operating system not one designed specifically for the tablet to be touch orientated.

 

Form factor is form factor is form factor but not a single one of these had a single physical button on the front of the device aimed at producing a quick method for users to get to the home screen. The only other buttons on the phone are the volume and power buttons and lock/mute switch. Now that this design is out that's what everyone is trying to emulate. It make no difference if the device is designed to be in landscape instead of portrait the functionality is the same ergo they copied the design from Apple.

post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I don't agree with the ruling but I love the penalty. Slapping a company with a fine means little to them. That's why Samsung has taken all these risks by copying Apple in the first place. The most that's going to happen to them is they get what is effectively a slap on the wrist to the bottom line. But for a company to have to make an embarrassing statement seems very effective, it's just too bad that the judge is wrong.

 

There is no precedent for such a sentence.  This judge is simply after the publicity this generates, he knows it'll get tossed.

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #56 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Except ALL of those tablets used a stylus. All of those tablets used a desktop operating system not one designed specifically for the tablet to be touch orientated.

 

Form factor is form factor is form factor but not a single one of these had a single physical button on the front of the device aimed at producing a quick method for users to get to the home screen. The only other buttons on the phone are the volume and power buttons and lock/mute switch. Now that this design is out that's what everyone is trying to emulate. It make no difference if the device is designed to be in landscape instead of portrait the functionality is the same ergo they copied the design from Apple.

 Not quite true. A resistive screen that size would have been usable with your finger. There was at least one tablet that was capacitive before the ipad. True, they used a desktop OS, the ipad uses a phone OS, not sure what your point is.

 

Form factor- Off hand, the iphone is the only phone that I can think of that has a single front facing button, indeed it is till the only one. So who is copying that?

 

Many phones already had a shortcut key that took you to the "home screen", eg the windows key on WM.

 

Landscape/portrait, again, old news.

 

The biggest similarity between the iphone and most  current smart phones is multi-touch capacitive screens. A technology popularised by the iphone. If we were to believe Steve Jobs, Apple invented it. Strange that NO ONE has been sued for adopting multi-touch screens. Even the patent office kicked out Apple's claim for "multi-touch".

post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

 

Well, the real difference is between an informed opinion and a crank saying that an expert is 180 degrees off the mark.I am reminded of those who never in their life studied calculus claiming that General Relativity is a crock. Only cranks do that.

Appeal to authority and ad hominem are both fallacies.  If you want to have a rational debate, debate the content of the argument, not the irrelevant context of the posters.  What you are attempting to do is to subvert the debate by attacking the posters rather than their posts because you don't have any real arguments.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wins stay on posting 'Samsung did not copy iPad' UK notice